The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Yoga"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-29-04, 12:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Yoga"
My physical therapist says yoga might be good for my back problems. I was a total failure at Pilates due to the fact that my abdominal muscles pretty much aren't working any more after being cut open 4 times.

So, anyone know of a good beginners (and I really emphasize beginners) yoga video for streching and relaxation? I have a really tight back and a really tight diaphram muscle and I don't breathe correctly (not deeply enough).

I'm looking for something that's not too difficult, and not too long, or I won't do it.

Oh, and what's a "brick"?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Yoga miamicatt 01-29-04 1
  Yoga for Dummies Esbea 01-29-04 2
 RE: Yoga Bebo 01-29-04 3
   RE: Yoga blacknwhitedog 01-29-04 4
 RE: Yoga Ahtumbreez 01-29-04 5
   woohoo! blacknwhitedog 01-29-04 6
       RE: woohoo! Ahtumbreez 01-29-04 7
 New Yoga Basics!!! udg 01-29-04 8
 RE: Yoga Tiger Lily 01-30-04 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

miamicatt 9247 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-04, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail miamicatt Click to send private message to miamicatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Yoga"
My doctor recommended the same thing to help strengthen my back, so far I'm not very good at it. I would suggest going to a couple of classes first to get some hands-on help at first and then going to the video.

And as I understand it, a brick is a little foam block that you use during some of the excercises. Here's a link for a kit I bought a friend of mine when she got really into Yoga, it has all you need.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=58242&catid=52593&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=52593&trxp2=58242&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

A fly JSlice creation!

Esbea 7377 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-04, 01:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Esbea Click to send private message to Esbea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. " Yoga for Dummies"
Seriously. Its on DVD. Its basic and a wonderful place to start until youre confident enough to go to a class. Kelly loves doing mine with me.

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side-saddle.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-04, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Yoga"
AM Yoga for Beginners. Rodney Yee rocks.

I also enjoy Stress Relief Yoga for Beginners and Gentle Yoga for Beginners. These are a little more challenging than the other video, but still doable. Just don't freak out if you can't stretch as deeply as the instructors.

All are Gaiam products.

And a brick is a piece of wood, styrofoam, etc. that you can put under your hands when you're starting out. Instead of stretching all the way to the floor, you put the brick on the floor and put your hands on top of the brick.

A strap is also helpful, for leg stretches. Since I can't reach down and grip my foot without bending my knee (and pulling way too many muscles), I use a strap for those stretches and hold onto it instead of my foot.

Snarky, smart, S7 Anti-Bootee Champ

01-29-04, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Yoga"
good to know- thanks all

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-04, 01:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Yoga"
I don't know about Yoga but I just got back from my lunch hour where I skipped the meal and went for a massage. Talk about stress reliever. My back feels great and I smell like lavender. How much better can it get. And think of all those calories I saved, now I don't have to exercise
TummyBreez

a beautiful kyngsladye original
Proud Member of the RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Group

01-29-04, 01:36 PM (EST)
6. "woohoo!"
I'm getting a massage on Saturday- it's my Valentine's treat to myself!

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-04, 01:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: woohoo!"
I get one for every 10 lbs I lose and any other reason I can think of!
In my next life I'm marrying a masseure.
TummyBreez

a beautiful kyngsladye original
Proud Member of the RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Group

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-29-04, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "New Yoga Basics!!!"
I haven't read any of the other suggestions, but I lvoe New Yoga Basics by Kathy Smith!!!!!

DVD http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005QW4H/
VHS http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305150109/

It works wonders on my back and helps with my carpal tunnel, too. It's very easy to follow along with. You don't have to be ultra coordinated, and the voice over is excellent. It *is* long, but I only do 1/2 of it at a time (20-25 min), usually the floor excercises, because those feel so good on my back. Check your local library. They often have exercise videos, and Kathy Smith is very popular.

Also, the reviews and information here http://videofitness.com/ are very useful, and this site http://www.collagevideo.com/ allows you to watch a brief preview of most videos before you order.

---
UDG

Tiger Lily 1679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-30-04, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiger%20Lily Click to send private message to Tiger%20Lily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Yoga"
LAST EDITED ON 01-30-04 AT 01:10 PM (EST)

The best way to learn yoga (at least at first) is from a teacher. You can't learn it from a book, although I've never tried the videos so I can't say how they are. However, with a teacher, if a particular pose does not work for you, they are there to suggest different variations and make sure you are doing what's right for you. And you should never force your body into any position that hurts you. Ever.

Good luck, Bawdy! Yoga is awesome. It's more of a spiritual exercise than a physical one, and it makes you feel great.

Edited for comma placement.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •