The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"StartingOver Contract Question"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

tac_2 351 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-09-06, 12:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tac_2 Click to send private message to tac_2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"StartingOver Contract Question"
Has anyone here ever seen the actual SO contract the cast members are required to sign?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: StartingOver Contract Question ScionInfinity88 02-09-06 1
   RE: StartingOver Contract Question hot mouth 02-10-06 2
       RE: StartingOver Contract Question beckettrep 02-10-06 3
           RE: StartingOver Contract Question Snidget 02-10-06 4
               RE: StartingOver Contract Question tac_2 02-10-06 5
                   RE: StartingOver Contract Question Snidget 02-10-06 6
 RE: StartingOver Contract Question JustBNMe 02-11-06 7
   RE: StartingOver Contract Question casunflower 02-11-06 8
       RE: StartingOver Contract Question deededell 02-11-06 9
   RE: StartingOver Contract Question tac_2 02-13-06 10
       RE: StartingOver Contract Question SeasonedRefinement 02-13-06 11
           RE: StartingOver Contract Question tac_2 02-13-06 12
           RE: StartingOver Contract Question Cygnus X1 02-13-06 13
               RE: StartingOver Contract Question SeasonedRefinement 02-14-06 14
                   RE: StartingOver Contract Question Snidget 02-14-06 16
       RE: StartingOver Contract Question JustBNMe 02-14-06 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ScionInfinity88 29 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-09-06, 01:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ScionInfinity88 Click to send private message to ScionInfinity88 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
I have not tac2, but that is a good question. All the RULES they are supposed to go by and why can people, like Lisa1 break them with no consequences like being kicked out on her #####! On the Real World and Road Rules If a person hits someone even taps them, they are gone that day no questions asked. Lisa breaks the rules and gets all the help and chances I have ever seen in a liftime. It would be cool to see the rules!

hot mouth 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

02-10-06, 08:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail hot%20mouth Click to send private message to hot%20mouth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
hi there,
i also would like to see that contract..
i am so fed up with the amount of chances LISA 1 has been given. it is very UNFAIR.. re summer and tess, kicked out in quick time.. is rhonda going mad or what?

beckettrep 814 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-10-06, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
Maybe those, like Tess, Summer etc, who have been kicked out could have themselves a real strong 'discrimination' lawsuit if it can be proven that the show allowed some to break the rules that would otherwise have them kicked out while others were kicked out for much less serious offenses. Just a thought.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-10-06, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
I'd be willing to bet there are several outs in the contract that allow the producers to manipulate the show however they want and prevent the people on the show from suing over those decisions. Probably even have clauses that prevent people on the show from even talking about things like that in public. Most of the things I have heard about contracts from other shows indicate that they pretty much require you to sign over all your rights, etc. to get your face on TV. I would be shocked if the SO contract was different from other shows in that respect.

It is like some of the other shows that have judges decide who stays and who goes have a disclaimer that rolls by fast in the credits that the producers have input as to who stays and goes and it is not 100% up to the judges. The producers will keep people on who are losing the competition if they think it makes for good drama.

That is why some people call it "unscripted" rather than "reality" TV.

Imaginary friends by Bob!

02-10-06, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tac_2 Click to send private message to tac_2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
Well, that contract must be top secret because I've looked pretty hard. I was just interested in the specific stipulations and repercussions if the contract had been deemed broken.

Yes, I imagine the cast members have to pretty much sign over their lives and probably most don't even read the dang thing.

02-10-06, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
I'm not sure the full contract of any of the reality TV shows have really been made public. Even the exact rules for a lot of them seem to be hard to come by. When the rules impact the show we might hear about it, but it can be hard to get any official document with the full set of rules.

I suspect releasing any of the documentation you have to sign for these shows violates the non-disclosure parts of the contract. Like the don't say anything about things that happened until an episode airs kinds of things.

A fair amount has been hinted at for various "behind the scenes" types of shows, but very little hard evidence to go by.

Even "smoking gun" doesn't seem to have the contracts for any of the shows, and they are usually pretty good at digging stuff up that could be made public by the parties involved (like what you have to put in a green room for various acts).

JustBNMe 526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-11-06, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JustBNMe Click to send private message to JustBNMe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
LAST EDITED ON 02-11-06 AT 12:58 PM (EST)

I have not sen a contract that the "official HG" sign but have seen papers that potential HG sign and also the Casting Call FAQ sheet. I went to a casting call to see what happens at them as one was held not that far from where I live. Everyone in the room had to start out by signing a paper giving BM the right to use any part of our story even if we were not selected to go into the house. The form also said that if chosen we could be filmed at any time doing any thing (except for when we were going to the bathroom or showering and changing clothes)and that they could edit the footage any way they wanted to even if it changed the storyline, made something appear to be other than how it happened or how it was said etc. In other words they would be able to portray a HG however they wanted to no matter how far from reality it really was and the HG had no recourse if they didn't like it. All rights to their images, words etc were given up at the audition let alone once they get into the house. It's like the casting people make women give up all rights before they even talk with them. If the women wouldn't agree to that then they were asked to not continue any further with the casting call. Several women left at that time. I just hung around and watched and listened and read forms handed out. It was an eye opening experience because I saw first hand how far some women were willing to compromise themselves and outright lie to get on the show. After a while I got bored and left.

casunflower 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

02-11-06, 03:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail casunflower Click to send private message to casunflower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
that is very interesting information

deededell 271 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-11-06, 10:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail deededell Click to send private message to deededell Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"

In comparing the three Sommer, Tess, and Lisa1 and thier circumstances of being asked to leave the house there is one thing that stands out. When Rhonda had concrete evidence that the HG was interested in the media attention only she sent their boots to walking. Sommer was a no brainer because everyone came to her about it including the camera crew. Tess outed herself when she was on the phone with her brother-in-law the football guy. She asked for a good agent in order to look into a talk show host. So, I think Lisa1 kept getting chance after chance until Rhonda saw the emial to Mr. Internet and the actual words about what she wanted this show to launch her into. The very next day she way on her way. It just my thoughts

02-13-06, 10:51 PM (EST)
10. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
>LAST EDITED ON 02-11-06
>AT 12:58 PM (EST)

>
>I have not sen a contract
>that the "official HG" sign
>but have seen papers that
>potential HG sign and also
>the Casting Call FAQ sheet.
>I went to a casting
>call to see what happens
>at them as one was
>held not that far from
>where I live. Everyone in
>the room had to start
>out by signing a paper
>giving BM the right to
>use any part of our
>story even if we were
>not selected to go into
>the house.

If I understand you correctly, SO can collage stories as they see fit. That sure does explain why I think these women seem too designed to fit certain stereotypes and images or enter the house with certain goals that suddenly get lost or derailed.

The form also
>said that if chosen we
>could be filmed at any
>time doing any thing (except
>for when we were going
>to the bathroom or showering
>and changing clothes)

Including being filmed drunk in underwear, obviously naked underneath sheets, and in towels. Oh, and vomiting.
Lovely of SO to share such things, I for one, have gotten a lot out of those scenes.

and that they
>could edit the footage any
>way they wanted to even
>if it changed the storyline,
>made something appear to be
>other than how it happened
>or how it was said
>etc.

You've just confirmed what I didn't want to believe. No wonder the contract is some big secret. Not only for the sake of SO but also the foolish women who signed up. And no wonder some of the past houseguests have disassociated themselves from the show.

In other words they
>would be able to portray
>a HG however they wanted
>to no matter how far
>from reality it really was
>and the HG had no
>recourse if they didn't like
>it. All rights to their
>images, words etc were given
>up at the audition let
>alone once they get into
>the house. It's like the
>casting people make women give
>up all rights before they
>even talk with them.

So, basically, they give them full power to turn them into characters and we viewers get to watch amatuer actors giving it their best shot.

I have little empathy anymore for a single one of them.

>If the women wouldn't agree
>to that then they were
>asked to not continue any
>further with the casting call.
>Several women left at that
>time. I just hung around
>and watched and listened and
>read forms handed out. It
>was an eye opening experience
>because I saw first hand
>how far some women were
>willing to compromise themselves and
>outright lie to get on
>the show. After a while
>I got bored and left.
>

Thanks much for the information. Very enlightening. And I give you a lot of respect for leaving the cattle call.

SeasonedRefinement 1248 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-13-06, 11:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SeasonedRefinement Click to send private message to SeasonedRefinement Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
LAST EDITED ON 02-13-06 AT 11:16 PM (EST)

Wow! We've always assumed that this stuff happened, but they let people in on the secret at the casting call? It almost sounds like a promise!

Funny thing, isn't it? In day to day life, most people are so concerned (to some degree, anyway) with what other people think of them that they don't say or do things they want to because it might make them look stupid or they may be misunderstood. Look at the fear of public speaking! Lots of people live their lives wondering how they look to the people around them. Is fifteen minutes of fame - ANY kind of fame - so appealing that people will really let someone else steer and manipulate their personas before a national audience? They know - from the beginning - that their image and dialouge may be used to make them appear to be complete losers, nut cases, alcoholics, etc., but that's OK? Wow!

Saddest thing: The women who think they will be discovered because they are on Starting Over. I mean, what legitimate agent or studio would sign a Lisa or an Allison? That's a delusion the LC's should deal with.

02-13-06, 11:36 PM (EST)
12. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"

>
>Saddest thing: The women who
>think they will be discovered
>because they are on Starting
>Over. I mean, what
>legitimate agent or studio would
>sign a Lisa or an
>Allison? That's a delusion
>the LC's should deal with.
>
>
>*******************************************

It's the delusions that motivate the big machine, ratings.

And not only do they want to be discovered, some even want to move to LA without even a job or home. Unbelieveable.
I wouldn't count on the LC's to deal with delusions, either. That would be like asking a con to come clean...besides, both of them have gotten all they wanted, probably more than they ever dreamt of, in fact.

I admit SO suckered me in for a while but now I don't believe one single thing, least of all, the women's 'stories'.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

02-13-06, 11:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
Saddest thing: The women who think they will be discovered because they are on Starting Over. I mean, what legitimate agent or studio would sign a Lisa or an Allison? That's a delusion the LC's should deal with.

And you have stumbled onto one of the reasons for this board's existence.

If you look at the DAW level under your username, each stands for something a reality show participant has actually done BEYOND his/her appearance to extend his/her 15 minutes of fame.

More info here.

Far too many reality show cast members (I don't want to say "stars") see their participation as their ticket to fame, making more out of it than what it is. So we bash them.

SeasonedRefinement 1248 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-14-06, 00:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SeasonedRefinement Click to send private message to SeasonedRefinement Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
Cygnus,

Thanks for the link. I realized that it took "something" that I apparently lack to go through the reality show casting calls and auditions, but the list you guys provided removes all mystery as to what that "something" might be. Desperate Attention Whoredom...plain and simple. Grand Marshal of the Peanut Festival? That's considered a career move and resume worthy? Wow. Truth is stranger - and sadder - than fiction!

(I never imagined those DAW behaviors in the headings were real...I thought it was just satire. Unbelievable...)

02-14-06, 10:00 PM (EST)
16. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
There are somethings you just can't make up. The reality of it is far too weird.

Imaginary friends by Bob!

JustBNMe 526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-14-06, 09:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JustBNMe Click to send private message to JustBNMe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: StartingOver Contract Question"
Yes tac_2 you understood me correctly. I would not have believed it all had I not seen/heard it for myself. I had heard other people saying that's how it was but I didn't want to believe it so I went and heard it first hand so I would know for sure. It took some of the sincerity out of the show for me but I still watch becuase I still learn things about myself and others. It is sad how women wil lcompromise themselves for a shot at fame.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •