The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"History lesson in predicting the future?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Spoiler/Speculation Forum (Protected)
Original message

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-28-05, 10:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"History lesson in predicting the future?"
Can we use history to help predict the strong teams for TAR 7? I have been thinking about the strong teams in TAR historically to see if we could use that to help determine the teams that might be in the game for the long haul. Here is how the final four has panned out over the seasons:

TAR 1:
1st place : Rob and Brennan : male team best friends
2nd place : Frank and Margarita : separated couple
3rd place : Joe and Bill : gay couple
4th place : Kevin and Drew : best friends

TAR 2:
1st place : Chris and Alex : male team best friends
2nd place : Tara and Will : separated couple
3rd place : Blake and Paige : Bro and sister
4th place : Danny and Oswalk : gay best friends let’s go shopping

TAR 3:
1st place : Flo and Zach : friends
2nd place : Teri and Ian : married couple
3rd place : Ken and Gerard : brothers with one gay
4th place : Derek and Drew : very good looking brothers

TAR 4:
1st place : Reichen and Chip : gay couple
2nd place : Kelly and Jon : engaged
3rd place : David and Jeff : male team best friends
4th place : Jon and Al : male team best friends

TAR 5:
1st place : Chip and Kim : married
2nd place : Colin and Christie : dating
3rd place : Brandon and Nicole : dating
4th place : female team best friends

TAR 6:
1st place : Freddie and Kendra : engaged
2nd place : Kris and Jon : dating
3rd place : Mary Adam and Rebecca : who knows the relationship? Separated?
4th place : Heydan and Aaron : dating

A separated couple has been in the final 4 twice (seasons 1 and 2). A dating or engaged couple has been in the last 3 seasons but not in the first 3 seasons. A married couple has only been in the final 4 twice (seasons 3 and 5). A male team/best friends have been in final four in every season except the last two seasons (there were only one male team in seasons 5 and 6). A gay team has finished no worse than 4th in the seasons that gay male teams were included.

With this information, it seems when gay male teams are included they excel and do very well (this season we have Lynn and Alex as the gay team) and we have a mother/son team with a gay son (Susan and Patrick). The male team/best friends category would go to Ryan and Chuck and we have Brian and Greg as brothers. We have 4 teams that are dating or engaged and two couples that are married.

What do you guys think? Is there something to the history in predicting how teams will do?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Oh yes realitybites 02-28-05 1
   RE: Oh yes FarmBoy 02-28-05 2
       RE: Oh yes volsfan 02-28-05 3
 Yes - With Reservations VA Slim 03-01-05 4
   RE: Yes - With Reservations volsfan 03-01-05 5
       RE: Yes - With Reservations Rothschild 03-02-05 6
 Here's some history for you. clemsonbeav 03-02-05 7
   RE: Here's some history for you. volsfan 03-02-05 8
       RE: Here's some history for you. clemsonbeav 03-02-05 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-28-05, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Oh yes"
I use it all the time in handicapping the teams before the race. To summarize what I've come up with (which is much the same as your conclusions):

* Male-male teams, as a group, have done extremely well
* Gay male teams have done best of all; good news for Lynn & Alex
* Parent-child teams haven't done very well
* Teams that bicker can do very well but haven't yet won top honors. Flo & Zach didn't bicker; she kicked up a fuss and he took it
* Dating & married couples have been all over the map; impossible to judge how well they'll do by that status alone
* Only Flo & Zach won with a less-than-solid relationship

FarmBoy 2618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-28-05, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Oh yes"
I think you guys have got it pinned.

the only kicker I can think of is that ROMBER have experience in manipulating others- but that doesn't count for as much in TAR as it does in other shows.

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece

02-28-05, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Oh yes"
Also, think of Alison/Donny. Alison from Big Bother and they were out second. I am hoping for a faster exit for Romber!

VA Slim 450 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-01-05, 08:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VA%20Slim Click to send private message to VA%20Slim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Yes - With Reservations"
While some of the general groupings you mention have been true, I still think that you have to judge the teams on their physical ability first. Some teams that have been older (but not too old - see my double-nickel comment at the end) than most have done well - Terri/Ian and Chip/Kim are the best examples. They were fit and they took the time to get in condition for the race. Married/Dating/Relationship teams have been "all over the map" because of the energy expended in sustaining the relationship. Even fit teams struggle when cracks or strains appear. The energy/emotions expended takes away from that needed to physically run the race. The fact that most of the gay teams have done well again goes to their fitness in my opinion. Not whether they are gay or straight. The best teams to bet on are the sibling ones - they know each others strengths and weaknesses so well and they know that their relationship with one another is so strong that they can devote all of their energy to the race. Sibling teams only problem seems to be inability with directions - remember Kami/Karli from TAR5 or the twins from TAR2. With parent/child it's different - in some cases those teams have been trying to "reconnect" with one another and have the same relationship energy issues as married/dating teams. Their other problem is the age difference itself - one teammember is significantly less fit than the other. The best teams to bet against are the AARP teams - once the age rises above the double-nickel they can't compete after a few legs. The physical strain is just too much to overcome and the body needs more time than the 12 hour rest period to recouperate. In TAR7 my money, at the moment, is on Brian/Greg. As fit siblings they are going to be tough to beat. If they can't read a map then I'm pulling my money from the table fast!

03-01-05, 10:36 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Yes - With Reservations"
LAST EDITED ON 03-01-05 AT 10:37 AM (EST)

I don't disagree with you as much as just adding onto thoughts. I think there is more to the way the groups see their relationship. This is why I think the gay teams have performed better then their counterparts. The way men and women view relationships are far different and I think this plays a bigger role in the game than most peeps think.

Rothschild 496 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-02-05, 03:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rothschild Click to send private message to Rothschild Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Yes - With Reservations"
Debbie and Bianca are the gay team, Alex and Lynn are
the harmless ladies in waiting.

clemsonbeav 4208 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-02-05, 07:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail clemsonbeav Click to send private message to clemsonbeav Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Here's some history for you."
South Carolinians are NOT cracked up for reality TV!

Remember Patricia from S4? Booted second episode.
Remember Ashlee from S10? Booted second episode.
Remember Gina and Sylvia from TAR3? Eliminated first episode.
Remember Ryan and Chuck from last night? Eliminated first episode.
Remember Ron and Kelly from last night? Finished next to last.

Beav: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate.

03-02-05, 08:12 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Here's some history for you."
I think most South Carolinians still think television is just a fad that won't catch on!

You are so right though about not representing!

clemsonbeav 4208 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-02-05, 12:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail clemsonbeav Click to send private message to clemsonbeav Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Here's some history for you."
Oh, I forgot Joanna from S6. She's the best one so far...episode 4!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •