The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Bachelor / The Bachelorette Forum (Protected)
Original message

Scorpion 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-19-05, 00:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Scorpion Click to send private message to Scorpion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
People, People, People...

Am I the only one offended by the unbelievably racist show that ABC aired Monday (on Martin Luther King Jr.'s holiday no less). Ok so why are the producers of this series constantly inserting black male cast members who have no chance in hell of ever winning the show, much less the fair bachelorette's heart. I am so surprised that Ryan even got a minute alone with Jen! Even that brief encounter was severely edited down.

SO I must ask the question... Is this country still so backwards that we can't possibly stand to see a real interracial romance on television? I think that ABC should be ashamed of itself because in their efforts to promote diversity in their programming they have back-hand slapped millions of African American viewers in the face. I for one am DONE with this show, and if I didn't love "LOST", and "Desperate Housewives” I would be done with ABC all together.

I am wondering what the rest of you think about this topic I know that it has come up before, but in Ryan's case it has never been more blatantly, transparently racist. Thanks for reading this; I am sorry if it comes of angry. I just feel a bit stung. Peace,

Scorpion

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 It's an old topic realitybites 01-19-05 2
   RE: It's an old topic RyrieRae 01-19-05 3
       RE: It's an old topic berbujas2001 01-19-05 4
       RE: It's an old topic Spidey 01-19-05 5
       RE: It's an old topic Poncho 01-19-05 8
           RE: It's an old topic Pretty_Kitty 01-25-05 19
       RE: It's an old topic redheaded_sweetheart 01-19-05 11
 Post removed Bebo 01-19-05 6
   RE: Post removed Spidey 01-19-05 7
 RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... DebCapsFan 01-19-05 9
 RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... Donald Chump 01-19-05 10
 RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... Scorpion 01-20-05 12
   RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... RyrieRae 01-22-05 13
 RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... Honey38 01-25-05 14
   RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... Elaine0 01-25-05 15
       RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... Rockytop Chick 01-25-05 16
           RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... Honey38 01-25-05 17
 RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... TDeniseS 01-25-05 18
   RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... Elaine0 01-25-05 20
       RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... caramelgal 02-03-05 21
           RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!... Spidey 02-03-05 22
 I would Lasann 02-07-05 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-19-05, 05:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "It's an old topic"
We've discussed it a few times before. I think it's funny that they always have two or three minorities as pursuers (never the lead - oh no no no), one of whom always makes it to the second round but never any farther. It's as if ABC tells them that they have to pick one, regardless of whether they feel anything for them or not.

>SO I must ask the question... Is this country still so
>backwards that we can't possibly stand to see a real
>interracial romance on television?

I think the vast majority of us are more than ready. It's this show that's behind the times.

Reality shows that don't/didn't bite: Lost, The Amazing Race, Beg Borrow & Deal, The Wild Rules, I Wanna Date a Race Car Driver, American Dream Derby
Reality shows that bit but I watched anyway: Love Cruise, The Bachelor(ette), Joe Millionaire, Married By America

RyrieRae 416 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

01-19-05, 09:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RyrieRae Click to send private message to RyrieRae Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: It's an old topic"
I believe that it's possible not to be attracted to someone of a different race romantically, and not be a racist. It's just a preference, not an "I'm better than you" attitude. I would think that in this season especially (since jen picked the guys) if she wasn't attracted to someone of ANY other race, it would be okay to not have a "token" on the show.

I (a caucasian) would be equally as interested in this show if the bachelor or bachelorette were black, and all the contestants were black as well. I certainly wouldn't be offended if the show failed to include a "token white guy."

berbujas2001 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-19-05, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail berbujas2001 Click to send private message to berbujas2001 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: It's an old topic"
I've always thought we were all part of the "human" race. Every time I hear interracial dating, I think of someone dating an animal or something like that. hehe Anyway, I've dated black men and asian men and white men. I really don't care what color their skin is as long as they treat as well as I deserve to be treated.

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-19-05, 01:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: It's an old topic"
LAST EDITED ON 01-19-05 AT 04:40 PM (EST)

I believe that it's possible not to be attracted to someone of a different race romantically, and not be a racist.

Sure, chemistry is individual. But if someone says "I could never be attracted to a black man" out of hand, I would think there is more going on than just a "type" thing. It's also possible Jen could find many different kinds/races of men attractive, but not necessisarily Ryan. Or maybe she did find him attractive (I did!) but felt they didn't have the "connection" she felt with some of the others. Or, she could be racist. Who are we to know?

If ABC didn't have ANY minority bachelors on the show, they would be accused of being racist. If Jen cut all minority candidates the first Rose ceremony, she would be considered racist, no matter the reasons for not choosing them. And if she did end up picking Ryan, it would bring all of the true racists out of the woodwork. It's a catch-22 and serves a proof that we have a long way to go as a society on the race relations front.

**Edited to remove reference to post removed by moderators.**

Spidey sad.

Poncho 787 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-19-05, 05:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Poncho Click to send private message to Poncho Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: It's an old topic"
>I believe that it's possible not
>to be attracted to someone
>of a different race romantically,
>and not be a racist.
>I (a caucasian) would be equally
>as interested in this show
>if the bachelor or bachelorette
>were black, and all the
>contestants were black as well.
> I certainly wouldn't be
>offended if the show failed
>to include a "token white
>guy."

I totally agree Rae. I also think they should have different races as the bachelor or bachelorette - I would watch it no matter what color they are

Poncho

Pretty_Kitty 536 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-25-05, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pretty_Kitty Click to send private message to Pretty_Kitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: It's an old topic"
I would LOVE to see a Bachelor(ette ) of a race other than white AND of a different financial status I've lost interest in the show mostly because these people are so far removed from my world do blue collar people not desreve to find love?
with all the bi/tri racial people (ok mutts like me) out there you would think some of them would turn up on these shows

Pretty Puerto Rican Kitty

redheaded_sweetheart 276 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-19-05, 10:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail redheaded_sweetheart Click to send private message to redheaded_sweetheart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: It's an old topic"
I agree with you completely RyrieRae!

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-05, 03:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Post removed"
You may notice the numbering of responses is off. A post was removed by the moderators. This site does not condone racism.

01-19-05, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Post removed"
Thank you, Bebo.

Of course, now I have to edit my post which no longer makes sense...

DebCapsFan 2747 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-19-05, 07:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DebCapsFan Click to send private message to DebCapsFan Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
I don't think Jen should be forced to have people on the show who she is not interested in. And vice-versa. We can't say that Jen is the perfect woman for an African American guy.
Is she a blondist? She seems to clearly prefer men with dark hair. Or perhaps a redheadist... I also don't see a lot of fat guys, bald guys, or old guys. She must be an agist.
My point is that Jen clearly has a type of guy that she prefers, and he just happens to be white, and tall, with decent teeth.

If Ryan were the next Bachelor, I would definitely watch... and drool... a lot. The man is smokin hot.

Donald Chump 56 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-19-05, 09:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Donald%20Chump Click to send private message to Donald%20Chump Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
Remember Jen actually was involved in choosing the 25 contestants from the loads of audition tapes.

I just hope that she chose Ryan because she actually saw potential, and not because the producers told her to pick at least one black guy.

Most people won't seriously date anyone outside of their own race, and that's not necessarily being racist. So I don't blame the bachelor/ettes. Who I blame is the producers who won't choose a single non-white bachelor/ette now that they are into what... the 9th season?

Yes, the majority of the audience is white, but even white viewers are getting tired of the same all-white bachelors and bachelorettes all the time.

Scorpion 4 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 01:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Scorpion Click to send private message to Scorpion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
OK just to clarify I firmly believe that today there are a lot of interracial reletionships out there. Lest anyone forget Mary from the last show is hispanic. I bet most of you didn't even think about that. I believe that is because interracial dating is all on an acceptance scale. For example Byron and Mary have an acceptance rating of say -2, where a potential pairing of Jen and "black" Ryan is say -12! My point is WHY have this guy on the show if he didn't have a chance because a white woman and a black man is the most socailly frowned upon form of interracial dating. It isn't cool and I don't feel like it has advanced race relations or made anyone feel like our society is more equal.

My only hope is that ONE day they will have a Bachelor or Bachelorette that was TRULY open to dating men/women of a different race. This person would be able to choose from a really diverse group of the opposite sex and be open to having a connection with any of them regardless of their race. Wouldn't that be real, wouldn't that be honest? Just a thought,

Scorpion

RyrieRae 416 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

01-22-05, 09:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RyrieRae Click to send private message to RyrieRae Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
"Most people won't seriously date anyone outside of their own race, and that's not necessarily being racist."

I am a Gen-Xer from the South, and that upbringing plays more heavily than I realize on who I date. I personally would not be opposed to dating someone of a different race, but my parents grew up in a time of racial segregation. Coming from a traditional family, there is always that desire to please your parents by picking a mate with whom they would be pleased. I'm not calling my parents racists, but I simply don't know what it is like to grow up in a time where blacks and whites didn't even go to the same school or drink out of the same water fountain. It sounds absurd today, but this is how they were raised.

Perhaps my kids' generation will be able to see past this indifference as they have more tolerant parents. One can only hope.

P.S. One thing my parents always said about interacial dating, is that it is not a good idea because it creates a harder environment for the child who is the product of interacial reproduction. The truth is, I believe our society is moving past this thought and on a personal note, I think that bi-racial children/people are some of the most beautiful people.

Honey38 7 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-05, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Honey38 Click to send private message to Honey38 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
I wasn't offended... I wasn't surprised... I just hope that one day there will be more than one minority (african american, hispanic, asian) on the show. I feel we have alot to bring to the table and who knows the show may be a lot more exciting with different faces..different cultures...a little more color. What do you think? Holla! Honey38

Elaine0 1507 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-25-05, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Elaine0 Click to send private message to Elaine0 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
Sadly this country has a long way to go.

The show's producers probably feel they have to put an african american in the show as proof they aren't racist. Then the bachelor/bachelorette boots them out the second episode. It is the same pattern over and over. It makes me uncomfortable watching it at home and I can only imagine how the contestants feel.

I also think the produces feel the ratings will be higher if the bachelor/bachelorette is white.

I don't know if Jen has ever dated anyone outside of her race and maybe they should find someone who has. Pick a bachelor that dates different races equally. Then have an equal mix of contestants. It would be a start. I'm sure they will still get plenty of complaints, but hopefully they will also have many people supporting them.

I can't even remember seeing an african american on a one on one date. Have I missed one?

How about someone that has parents of different races? That would work, right? They should be able to date people of both races without too much of an uproar from the racist corner.

Rockytop Chick 314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-25-05, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rockytop%20Chick Click to send private message to Rockytop%20Chick Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
I think Elizabeth had a one-on-one date with Byron. Isn't she African-American??

A lot of people seem to have forgotten that the "winner" of the last Bachelor was Hispanic. Or do you only mean black when you say the Bachelor/ette should include those of a different race?

And btw, I do agree with you that it is insulting to put one African American on the show just to be booted off on the second episode. Kinda sends a "you're only here so we won't look like racists" message.

Honey38 7 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-05, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Honey38 Click to send private message to Honey38 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
You're right..BUT they do make it so obvious when they (ABC) only place one minority (African American) on the show and then the next thing you know....they're gone before you knew anything about them. I can't wait to see who will be the next Bachelor..maybe, hopefully it will be Matthew Hickle from the last Bachelorette. What did you think of him? I felt really bad for him when he was rejected...

Honey38

TDeniseS 106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-25-05, 05:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TDeniseS Click to send private message to TDeniseS Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
>>Am I the only one offended >by the unbelievably racist show
>that ABC aired Monday (on >Martin Luther King Jr.'s holiday
>no less). . > I am so surprised
>that Ryan even got a >minute alone with Jen!
>Even that brief encounter was >severely edited down.
>

I don't really see why you are shocked, surprised, or offended. In all fairness, it is Jen's life and she does have a right to be with whomever she wants. Are you suggesting that ABC fill the cast with at least 50% Black guys to make viewers feel they are not racist? Or what? I am not feeling you dude! You can't force a person to like or love you. If you would like to see a minority as the Bachelor or Bachelorette, then write ABC or better yet...start a petition..... but don't expect Jen or any other Bachelorette/ Bachelor to pick the minority girl/guy in order to be "politically correct." The question in my mind was why did Ryan even want to be there....... there are prettier, smarter women in and outside his own race.

Elaine0 1507 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-25-05, 11:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Elaine0 Click to send private message to Elaine0 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
No they shouldn't have 50% black guys if the women prefers dating whites. They should only pick people that they feel the bachelor/bachelorette would consider marrying. But every show has 1-2 that you know will usually go the second week. You really can bet money on it. They made a big deal this time about Jen picking the men and there was the one token black guy again walking out the door week two.

But it's not just this show. The other dating shows were the same.

I remember an article around the time Jesse was bachelor where they were interviewing an african american for the next bachelor. I never heard any more and don't know if he is still being considered.

caramelgal 1 desperate attention whore postings

02-03-05, 08:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail caramelgal Click to send private message to caramelgal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
Number one. When one of your parents are black, you are black as well. My mom is black, my dad is italian. Trust me, no matter how light your skin is you are always black. Not to get too deep here, but American blacks have been multiracial for years since we were brought off the slave boats. Tell that to your parents who had that smart alek remark about "interracial children". That is such a cop out.
Now, on to the Bachelorette. I agree with the poster who said that if she really isn't attracted to black men she shouldn't even put the token one on. No one would care. But the bigger question remains, Why and the hell do brothas keep going on the damn show when they know they have no chance in hell of her picking them?

02-03-05, 09:41 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Ryan AKA the "token" Black Guy!!!"
But the bigger question remains, Why and the hell do brothas keep going on the damn show when they know they have no chance in hell of her picking them?

For the same reason most of the other guys go on this show. To get their mugs on tv.

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-07-05, 08:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "I would"
If:

I were
1. 20+ years younger
2. Rich enough or successful enough to be on the show

I would definately pick a minority, Asian, black, hispanic - whatever.

I'm just made that way.!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •