The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Middle School Moral Dillema"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

casual labor 29 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-02-08, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail casual%20labor Click to send private message to casual%20labor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Middle School Moral Dillema"
Hello all you wonderful OT's

I have lurked for many years, posted a few times. I have found that the people on this board have a good head on their shoulders and I could really use someone to bounce this off of and get some opinions before I go off half cocked and ruin my daughters social standing forever.

My 12yr old DD told me that 2 of her friends went through their teachers purse/satchel and found out who was on the list to be in the school choir (choir is a big deal at this school). I don't know how many people they told, but if I tell the school authorities what I know, there's a 95% chance that the friends will figure out it was my daughter who told on them.

So, do I say nothing and hope it was only a one time wrong choice for these girls, or tell the teacher and hope she shows some discretion. Or tell the parents and let them deal with it. The girls aren't juvenile delinquents but one of them was just caught plagerising her history report this week.

Any thoughts/suggestions would help me tremendously.
(and wishing she were 8yrs old again is not an option....urgghh)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema nailbone 05-02-08 1
   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema casual labor 05-02-08 5
       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema dragonflies 05-02-08 24
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema HistoryDetective 05-02-08 2
   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema casual labor 05-02-08 7
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema Breezy 05-02-08 3
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema Seana 05-02-08 4
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema frodis 05-02-08 6
   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema casual labor 05-02-08 9
       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema frodis 05-02-08 15
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema geg6 05-02-08 8
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema syren 05-02-08 10
   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema ginger 05-02-08 11
       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema casual labor 05-02-08 12
           RE: Middle School Moral Dillema syren 05-02-08 13
               RE: Middle School Moral Dillema geg6 05-02-08 14
                   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema Estee 05-02-08 18
                       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema Dizwiz 05-02-08 22
                   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema syren 05-02-08 19
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema mysticwolf 05-02-08 16
   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema syren 05-02-08 17
       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema mysticwolf 05-02-08 20
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema dabo 05-02-08 21
   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema mysticwolf 05-02-08 23
       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema syren 05-02-08 25
       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema dabo 05-02-08 26
           RE: Middle School Moral Dillema dragonflies 05-02-08 27
               RE: Middle School Moral Dillema dabo 05-02-08 28
                   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema dragonflies 05-02-08 29
                       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema dabo 05-02-08 30
                           RE: Middle School Moral Dillema casual labor 05-02-08 32
                               RE: Middle School Moral Dillema Buggy 05-02-08 33
                                   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema dabo 05-02-08 36
                                       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema dragonflies 05-02-08 37
                                       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema Buggy 05-02-08 39
               RE: Middle School Moral Dillema casual labor 05-02-08 31
                   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema dabo 05-02-08 42
 Hmmm AyaK 05-02-08 34
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema CutsyTootsy 05-02-08 35
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema aquariaqueen 05-02-08 38
 RE: Middle School Moral Dillema Sunny_Bunny 05-02-08 40
   RE: Middle School Moral Dillema casual labor 05-02-08 41
       RE: Middle School Moral Dillema frisky 05-02-08 43

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-02-08, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-08 AT 02:05 PM (EST)

What's the bottom line effect of them finding out who's on the list?

If there's no real effect other than spoiling the surprise, leave it alone. Chances are, no one will do much about them getting into the purse (unless something is missing as well), and it'll just cause problems for your DD.

05-02-08, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail casual%20labor Click to send private message to casual%20labor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I guess I could use this as a learning lesson to talk to my daughter about choices between right and wrong and leave it at that. I have her trust right now and I want to keep it that way.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 03:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
Yes, this is just what you should do. Use it as a chance to parent. Lord knows I've had that opportunity too much lately with my 13 year old son. Just wait. It gets better.

Good luck, and keep posting!

on the beach with smokeysmom

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 02:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
At the very least, you need to tell the teacher that she should lock her purse/satchel in a filing cabinet because some of her students have absolutely no respect for her privacy or personal space.

That one of these little angels recently got caught plagiarizing a paper doesn't give me much hopes that this was "one time wrong choice" for the students.

"Frankly, I don't care what you think." --- PagongRatEater, 20 October 2007

05-02-08, 02:30 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
True. If I tell the teacher that she might want to think about locking up her stuff, it wouldn't harm my daughters friendships with the group.

Yeah, the plagerizing one is a little messed up. Her mother has dumped her daughter off with the grandmother so that she can go to a "better" school district. Meanwhile the mother gives her daughter anything she want monetarily to make up for not being there for her.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 02:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I would tell the teacher that someone was seen in her purse. But as for peeking at the list? My DD's list went up this week, so I'm guessing the two little sneaks were impatient.

Breezy and Brett sitting in a tree...

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-08 AT 02:17 PM (EST)

Tough one.

On one hand, I would personally want to know if someone were going through my purse. I don't like my *own* kids going through my purse. That's pretty serious, in my book.

On the other hand, I would have to know what was going to happen if I let the school/teacher know. Edit to add: you don't have to say who was looking, or for what, or how you know.

I volunteer in my son's SK class and I often don't report bad behaviour by the kids to the teacher if I have dealt with it. This is because I disapprove of his policy of calling them out in front of their peers (even after I have dealt with it). I think it's disrespectful and unnecessary. "Praise in public, criticise in private" as my mother used to say.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-02-08, 02:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I think you should talk with your daughter about how she should handle it. At 12 years old, she already knows the right thing to do. She just needs your support. After all, that's pobably why she told you in the first place. Encourage her to go to the school authorities herself - go with her if that's what she wants.

Going through a teacher's purse is NOT okay, ever, no matter what they took.

A springy surprise from Tribe!

Welcome!

05-02-08, 02:35 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-08 AT 02:41 PM (EST)

Another thought I had was to talk to the girls myself.

I'm one of the adults in their lives that they all talk to and they spill their guts to me about most everything. I have built up a relationship of trust the same way I did with my daughter. Half the time when I talk to their parents they don't have a clue that that's what their kids are up to or thinking.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-02-08, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I think it's wonderful that you have gained the confidence of these girls and that they look up to you and respect you.

I also believe that it's because they look up to and respect you that you have an extra responsibility to do the right thing here, and encourage your daughter to talk to the teacher. You're in a unique position to be a good role model here to your daughter and to her friends.

They're 12, and entering those treacherous teen years. Now isn't the time to be "cool" or be their friend. It's hard, but you have to be the adult. Maybe they won't confide in you anymore for a while, but with growth and maturity and hindisght they will, someday, realize what a good example you were and they might even think back on this experience when faced with similar situations in the future.

I know it's hard, but it's life. It's the honor system. It's a good lesson to learn. Besides, if these girls are going to drum your daughter out for doing the right thing, are they really good friends for her to have going forward?

Good luck. 12 is an awkward time and it sounds like your daughter is facing one of the first lessons about responsibility and friendship and trust. She can make this decision and get through this and she'll be a stronger person for it.

A springy surprise from Tribe!

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
The list seems to be the least important thing here, IMHO.

Those budding criminals were rifling through a purse that was not their own. I'd report that, you betcha.

"Not this time." Barack Obama 3-18-08

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 02:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
Honestly, I would talk to my child about personal space. Then I would encourage him/her to talk to the teacher themselves.

By encourage, I mean I would expect them to make the right decision and talk to the teacher.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 02:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
Frodis and Syren are wize.

Hello, and welcome.

05-02-08, 02:46 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I will see how DD feels about talking to the teacher herself. Maybe just let the teacher know that some kids went riffling through her personal stuff, but leave the detail out so as not to have it come back to bite her. DD trusts adults in authority so she may not have a problem with it.

05-02-08, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-08 AT 03:00 PM (EST)

I just want to point out, that even though it seems to be a minor thing going through someone's purse, that you shouldn't tell her to leave out the details. If she chooses to, that is all her, but as her parent I don't think it is something that you would want to suggest.

This time the children in question only looked at the choir list, but what about next time. Were they only going through the purse to see if the list was there? Or for another reason? I know if I was still in school and wanted to see the list, my teachers purse would be the last thing I looked at. I would first look in her desk or somewhere where papers are kept.

Another question to ask yourself is if one of them took something out of that purse, would your daughter be blamed since she is the one who will be advising her teacher that her personal space was violated?

I think giving her a verbal pass on telling the details, is a slippery slope and not a good lesson to teach in relation to responsibility.

ETA:"The girls aren't juvenile delinquents...

While the children are not juvenile deliquents, they have exceptionally bad manners. For me, it is inexcusable in anyway because after re-reading your post it doesn't seem as though they were going through the purse to find the list, but for another reason and that is what I would be most worried about.

Warcrack, it's not for kids.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
Well, they aren't juvenile delinquents only because they haven't yet been hauled in front a judge. But at least one those girls has now shown no qualms about taking things from someone else's purse and has committed plagiarism.

Both of those things are a form of theft. That child is a thief, no question about that. I'd keep my child as far as possible from her and I'd certainly report this to the teacher. This child has major problems.

"Not this time." Barack Obama 3-18-08

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
*blink*

Oh, I'm sorry. I meant to say (censored).

It's kind of hard to include in my definition of total juvenile delinquent anyone who's honestly capable of the following conversation:

'Okay, we've got the purse! What do you want to get first? Cash? Checkbook? Credit cards?'

'Forget all that stupid stuff. We've got to prioritize -- I'm going for the chorus list!'

The word that comes to mind here are 'gossip'. Also 'snoop' and 'future networker supreme'. But the labels you're slapping down are a little too harsh and way too permanent.

Or would you be willing to accept having people use your first playground kiss to label you a sexual harasser?

Dizwiz 2699 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-02-08, 03:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dizwiz Click to send private message to Dizwiz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I agree with Estee 100%. These girls most definitely did something wrong, and need to atone for it...but let's not go overboard. God, if people judged me by some of the dumb things I've done but never got caught for, I'd be screwed.

05-02-08, 03:30 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
All children make mistakes, and need the guidance of their parent to learn from those mistakes. I don't think, from what we know, that the two things this child has been involved in automatically makes her a juvenile delinquent, although I do feel without the proper parental guidance that could happen or be the case.

I don't think that the information given constitutes that she has major problems, as I know many people from when I was a kid who cheated in some way, or did something stupid, who have grown into very well rounded responsible members of society.

I would explain to my child that sometimes the friends you keep are not the people you need in your life, but ultimately it is her decision...because I know I would rather know who my child is friends with and try to push them into the right direction then forbidding them from being around them and have my child do it behind my back.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I think I'd talk to my daughter about personal space and why it is never okay to go through someone else's belongings without permission. I'd explain why it's sometimes necessary to make the hard choice to speak up about wrongdoing, but why it's necessary and how, if no one speaks up behavior like this that someone "gets away with" can escalate. Then I'd give her 3 choices for how to deal with it and let her pick.

1) You talk to the girls and give them the option of going, with or without you, to the teacher to confess and apologize. Explain that, one way or another, the teacher is going to be told and that doing it themselves shows maturity and may lead to more leniency than otherwise. This would be my favorite choice. It's akin to the kid that swipes a candy bar. You'd make the kid take it back, pay for it, and apologize, you wouldn't do it for them (I hope).

2) You say nothing to the girls ahead of time and she goes to the teacher, with or without you, and explain what she saw and what she was told they did while in her purse (look at the list). Not bad, but it puts her in the position of tattling and doesn't teach the girls anything about personal responsibility.

3) She does nothing, but you go to the teacher yourself to explain what you heard. My least favorite option.

Yeah, her friends might not like her for awhile. Then again, does she really need to be friends with girls that behave that way and then put her in the position of either tacitly supporting their actions or doing what she knows is the right thing? It doesn't sound to me like these are very good friends if they're going to put her in this kind of position. Maybe now, at the outset, is the time for her to make her stand that while she likes them she's not about to just go along with them no matter what they do.

Good luck, and welcome.

A smokeysmom
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." - Baba Dioum

05-02-08, 03:21 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I like number 1 also, but I would add that the others parents would be included in some way. The girls telling them themselves, or telling them myself.

05-02-08, 03:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I agree. I would not, however, give a choice of we tell the parents and let them take care of it. The lesson they'll learn if the parents give them a pass on it would, I think, be far worse than the consequence of saying nothing to anyone at all. Telling the parents comes after telling the teacher for that reason, imo.

A smokeysmom
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." - Baba Dioum

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 03:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
Talk to your daughter about getting some new friends. I don't care what their age is, they should know right from wrong and probably do and are going wrong anyway.

And she's grounded.

05-02-08, 03:50 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
Why would you ground her? She didn't go through the purse, her friends did.

(And, like Syren, I'd rather know my kids friends than wonder who they're friends with that they don't tell me. Forbidding kids to be friends just doesn't work, imo, and is often counter-productive.)

A smokeysmom

05-02-08, 03:56 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
"Forbidding kids to be friends just doesn't work, imo, and is often counter-productive.)"

Yep. It is exactly what happened with me and Syrenboy's dad.

05-02-08, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
That was a demonstration of putting one's foot down.

I didn't have to forbid my daughter to be friends with the girls who started getting into cutting and whatever else she knew was wrong. We let her know that she could stop being friends with those girls, let them know why, get new friends, and we had her back.

05-02-08, 04:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
But why would you ground her?

05-02-08, 04:05 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-08 AT 04:06 PM (EST)

Kids need an example in their lives of a firm adult who isn't going to waffle if they are going to be kids who don't waffle.

Yeah, maybe I should have just said she has to pick up her room, no TV or dinner or anything until it's spotless. But I said she's grounded so she's grounded.

05-02-08, 04:10 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
But she didn't do anything wrong, other than tell you that her friends told her they went in the teachers purse.

05-02-08, 04:15 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
Geez, work with me here, willya! Did the kid get the same information that the other kids stole, that's possession right there. CL's overthinking this thing, she needs to be an example for her daughter.

05-02-08, 04:45 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
She didn't get the information from them, they just told her how they got and that they knew who was on the list. Like it was some badge of honor.

If I punished my daughter for telling me something she knows was inappropriate, then she'll start to feel like she can't share any information with me. Information and communication are essential during these years.

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-08 AT 05:21 PM (EST)

If I punished my daughter for telling me something she knows was inappropriate, then she'll start to feel like she can't share any information with me. Information and communication are essential during these years.

That's exactly what I was thinking, why would someone want to punish their child for doing the right thing?
You want your child to trust you and come to you with this type of moral dilemna, and especially feel safe coming to you with more serious things.

I think Dabo is absolutely wrong on this one. I can't imagine grounding my teen for something their friends do.

Hi and Welcome Casual Labor!

05-02-08, 06:21 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
Y'all completely missed the point of a parent being a firm example for a kid or a poster being an example of a firm example for another poster.

Go to your room.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

05-02-08, 06:58 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
*stomps off*

*slams door*

LOL, last week DS was goofing around with some friends, and the hinges of his door actually came out! He was surprised he was so strong. Sucked for him, not having a door for a week.

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 07:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
Oh I am a firm example for my kid, but when she comes to me with a problem and confides in me about what she should do about something someone else did, there is no way I'd tear down communication by punishing her for it.

I want her to feel safe telling me, especially if her friends are getting into trouble. Secrets bad, going to Mom, good.

05-02-08, 04:18 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I am pretty sure my daughter is getting tired of these friends anyway. It's hard to say. One day she wants to go over their house and the next day she is upset with them for whatever reason. Ahhh to be 12 again, don't you miss it?

05-02-08, 10:38 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
Not 12. 14 was a great year, 12 not so much.

Folks got tripped up on a punishment thing, it wasn't supposed to be about the punishment but about being firm. Follow these links, just one of the things that has been in my thoughts recently.

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID6/30786.shtml
http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID6/30910.shtml
http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID6/31043.shtml

That's for perspective.

Oh, and you're doing the dishes all next week.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 05:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "Hmmm"
Wow, this is a hard one.

I don't want to give anyone else advice on what to do. There isn't a right answer to that question, and there really isn't a wrong answer except to laugh it off, which it's obvious is not in your plans.

What would be the best outcome? I agree with others that the best outcome is for these two girls to own up to what they did and tell the teacher. But how possible is that outcome? I have no way of knowing.

So why did your daughter tell you? Because she wants to know what to do. As far as I can tell, she's done nothing wrong, and she's looking for guidance -- but she doesn't need discipline, for those whp want to punish her. What guidance would I give? Well, first I'd emphasize that to hang around with these two kids is a surefire way to ruin her life.

And I'd have to tell the other kids' parents, if I knew them at all. If I didn't know them, I might see if any of the other parents that I know knew them. This is the kind of thing that a parent should know, but my fear is that the parents might turn out to be like Dana Matherson's parents in Hoot: enablers. In that case, I'd just want my daughter to stay away from these kids.

As far as telling the school or the teacher: no way, Jose. Heck, you don't even know if these kids have really seen the list or if they're just spreading the story that they have.

CutsyTootsy 1795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-02-08, 06:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CutsyTootsy Click to send private message to CutsyTootsy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I have a 13 year old dd so I know the age. First of all, it's great she told you about this- she's obviously asking for help on how to deal with it. I would sit with her and work through all the options together. Then maybe you and her can sit down with the two girls and help them decide what to do. I think as long as you keep the communication open with your dd that she'll come to you with much bigger things than this.

Personally, as for what I think the girls should do- they should admit it to the teacher what they did and ask for forgiveness. Hopefully they will learn something from this situation.

Good luck!

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-02-08, 07:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
To me this has nothing to do with finding the list. This has everything to do with a violation of someone's property. That is wrong. That is trespassing. And possibly stealing.

Take it to the teacher or the principal, whichever you think will handle it in an appropriate manner.

“I love Jesus but I drink a little”. Gladys Hardy

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 08:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
I've not looked at all of the responses, so bear with me if I am saying the same thing everyone else has said.

First off, as a teacher I would want to know if someone had gone through my things. I've had things stolen from me before, so I've taken to locking my bag in the file cabinet as soon as I empty it in the morning. I was lucky, since my wallet had no money in it, the student tossed it on the ground in the hallway and another student picked it up and gave it to security. Other teachers have not been so lucky.

This teacher needs to know that there are students out there who have NO regard for her personal space or property. She has to know, because next time it might not be a piece of paper - it could be her wallet.

Which brings me to my next point. To the students who did this, they most likely believe that it was no big deal because it was just a piece of paper - but the fact of the matter is, it was stealing. If they didn't have permission to be in the bag, and they took something out of it - that's stealing.

You have no control over what other kids do. However, you do have control over your daughter, who needs to hear that no matter what they were looking for, her friends had no business rifling through the teachers bag without her permission, let alone taking something out of it.

I don't believe she should be punished, as she didn't go through the bag - but she does need to be told that she should have said something at the time to let her friends know that they were doing the wrong thing. Telling THEM does not make her a snitch; it makes her a good friend whether they see that at the time or not.

05-02-08, 08:53 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
She told me this morning, so we didn't have a lot of time to go over it. Most of my time was taken up questioning her to make sure her story made sense and was accurate. When I felt that she was telling me the truth and everything kinda jived, I told her that I was glad she told me and that what her friends did was wrong. She agreed.

We're going to go over it again this weekend. I try not to saturate her with the same subject so that she just turns me off, but I find creative ways to bring it up without her realizing we're talking about it.....again.

Thanks to all of you for your input. My knee-jerk reaction was to go to the VP this morning and let her know. Now, I'm thinking I can turn this around and use it as a lesson for her about right/wrong, stealing, friendship and a number of other subjects. I'll probably still go to the teacher and tell her that her things were gone through so that she'll know to keep the temptation out of prying eyes.

Leaving work now.........my co-worker has decided to crank up his disco music and others are encourging it. Can't think anymore...MUST LEAVE!

Thanks everyone.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-08, 10:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Middle School Moral Dillema"
One problem I see here is that it's all heresy.

Nobody actually saw the kids do it; they've just been bragging about it. If you report it, you can't prove it. It's just something you heard.

I'm glad you are considering the effect of this on your daughter's social standing. I don't mean "social standing" with these particular kids, but these types of kids, especially girls, are likely to get their revenge in really mean ways, like gossip. It's something you need to keep in mind when handling these types of things. The school WILL NOT consider this. You are right to think that if you handle this badly, your daughter could end up being ostracized at school when she has not done anything wrong.

Perpetual *headbutt* compliments of Rolly.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •