The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Merl Reagle Crosswords"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

formerlywannabe 407 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-20-08, 07:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail formerlywannabe Click to send private message to formerlywannabe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Merl Reagle Crosswords"
I do his puzzles every Sunday in the Phila. Inqurier. It's not as hard as the NY Times, but I enjoy it more because he always has some fun themes. He was in that Crossword puzzle documentary.

Anyway....does anyone else do this particular crossword and if so, maybe we could help each other out!

Here's a link to this weeks puzzle. I completed maybe 90% of it. I actually get the Sunday paper on Saturday night so I can get started! But, I also tend to do a little (I "work the corners") each day until I am done. Sometimes I finish Suday, other times I pick it up and put it down and don't finish until later in the week. Depends on my time and the theme!

Good Luck!

http://www.sundaycrosswords.com/ccpuz/MPuz.php

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords byoffer 04-21-08 1
 RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords Brownroach 04-21-08 2
   RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords byoffer 04-21-08 3
       RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords Brownroach 04-21-08 4
 Did it at lunchtime Brownroach 04-21-08 5
 RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords formerlywannabe 04-25-08 6
 RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords emydi 04-25-08 7
   RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords Brownroach 04-25-08 8
       RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords byoffer 04-25-08 9
           RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords Brownroach 04-25-08 10
       RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords emydi 04-25-08 11
           RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords Brownroach 04-25-08 12
       RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords frisky 04-30-08 14
 04/27/08 "Dressing The Part" formerlywannabe 04-30-08 13
   RE: 04/27/08 "Dressing The Part" Brownroach 05-01-08 15
 5/04/08 "The Secret Forest" formerlywannabe 05-04-08 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-21-08, 10:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
Hey FWB

I do crosswords (mostly cryptics) but rarely on line. This was a pretty tough puzzle. I got it out, but am not sure about a couple of answers. I would be happy to compare answers with you, if you like. I won't type out the whole puzzle - maybe share the definitions answers?

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-08 AT 10:53 AM (EST)

At the American Crossword Tournament this year, puzzle #3 was constructed by Merl Reagle -- it had the same title and gimmick as the one you linked to, but it wasn't the same puzzle. He also announced the "play-by-play" when the finalists did the last puzzle on the whiteboards in front of the audience.

I like his puzzles. At the end of the tournament we were all asked to vote for our favorite puzzle out of the first seven, and I voted for his (I never did find out which puzzle won). His wife was selling his puzzle books out in the lobby and I bought one.

I'll do this one later. Thanks!

Bleauin' ze bleus eaué, coeurtesie oeuf agmanne

04-21-08, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
I never did find out which puzzle won

Looks like you helped pick the winner.

The inaugural Marilyn F. Munro Memorial Prize was awarded to the constructor whom the contestants named, by their votes, as creator of their favorite crossword of the weekend. The winner was Merl Reagle for "If I Wrote the Dictionary."

http://www.crosswordtournament.com/2008/index.htm

04-21-08, 12:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-08 AT 12:34 PM (EST)

D'oh. I must have looked at that page a whole bunch of times and I didn't notice that. Thanx

04-21-08, 04:02 PM (EST)
5. "Did it at lunchtime"
Pretty clever, but I think the "definitions" he came up with for the tournament puzzle were funnier.

04-25-08, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail formerlywannabe Click to send private message to formerlywannabe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
LAST EDITED ON 04-25-08 AT 11:16 AM (EST)

I am so excited that I found fellow puzzlers. I actually went away for a few days and had no computer access...and I just remembered to check this to see if anyone replied. Yay!

If anyone wants, I'll post the puzzle links on Sundays and on Mondays we can compare notes. I worked this weeks, I did get the definitions...so Byoffer, tell me which ones you need and I'll let you know my answers.

I actually had trouble with the first corner, 1 across and then 1, 2 and 3 down. These are probably super easy but I couldn't get it! The defs. I got...strange I know!

Until Sunday (or Saturday night!).....

ETA: I'll put the puzzle date in the subject line.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-08, 12:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
LAST EDITED ON 04-25-08 AT 03:49 PM (EST)

I'll work on it over the weekend...this afternoon....I print it out I hate doing crosswords on line...

Done!]

BR...I watched the PBS special on crosswords...were you on it?
I couldn't do it..I would get too flustered. I figure it's my leisure time activity and I don't want it to be ultra competitive...I've gotten quite good at them but not fast enough...and Saturday Times...I've finished one on my own ever it was just recently

I remember Merle being witty when doing "play by play"

04-25-08, 01:06 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
What was the PBS special? I saw the movie fwb is talking about -- "Wordplay" -- no I was not in that, 2008 is the first time I entered the tournament, since they moved it to downtown Brooklyn this year.

I thought I might get flustered since I don't usually pay attention to my time, but I didn't -- and I managed to go pretty fast, with no blanks/mistakes in 4 of the 7 puzzles. Puzzle 5 was the one that hung everybody up -- the clock ran out and I didn't even finish it.

I just figured it would be fun to try it once. I'm definitely going again next year. I bet you'd enjoy it.

You can see me for a quick second in this video:
http://www.crosswordtournament.com/2008/jim.htm -- I'm sitting three rows in front of the orange-antenna guy, in the second seat off the aisle, wearing a red shirt, gray vest sweater and cap. The camera pans over me at about the 27-second mark as the guy runs up the aisle.

04-25-08, 01:28 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
Geez, I will bet you are glad to have left your orange antenna hat at home that day.

I have never heard of this sort of thing before. How does ESPN miss that??

04-25-08, 01:50 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
The orange-antenna guy was wearing a crossword-themed "bridal gown" the day before.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-08, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
LAST EDITED ON 04-25-08 AT 02:55 PM (EST)

cool!! I could tell it was you from the back!

is this the same tourney that was in Conn?

it was a documentary on pbs

http://www.crosswordtournament.com/articles/mw080707.htm

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/23/21723.php

I don't know...I'm not that great at them yet. but if I could meet the Roach...maybe......byo how bout it?

04-25-08, 04:35 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
Yep, same tourney as in Connecticut -- they moved it this year because it got too big, so it will be in Brooklyn from now on (until it gets bigger and they have to move it again ).

And yes that's the movie "Wordplay," it shows parts of the 2004 or 2005 tourney. The same guy that won in the movie won this year, his 4th straight victory. It was really fun watching the three finalists do the last puzzle on the whiteboards!

So I will see you there next February (you have almost a year to practice)

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-08, 11:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Merl Reagle Crosswords"
Next year, you must one-up the orange attenna guy in true OT fashion.

Perpetual *headbutt* compliments of Rolly.

04-30-08, 10:48 PM (EST)
13. "04/27/08 "Dressing The Part""
I am SO late to the party this week...DH is just finishing up his final semester and has been working on papers etc.

Since we have a 9 month old, me and the baby have been going to my moms down the shore to give him peace and quiet! Plus, class nights are LONG with a baby! He leaves for work at 8 and doesn't get home until 10. At least at moms it's less exausting!

The only drawback is that mom has no computer. Oh well, I got to work on this weeks and I finished it. Any stuck puzzlers? Any help needed? I liked this weeks theme!

BTW, I was so mad when I saw the answers for last weeks..that stupid 3 down EGO TRIP, was the one that was stumping me. Sometimes it's the easy ones...

At any rate here's this weeks puzzle:

05-01-08, 11:23 AM (EST)
15. "RE: 04/27/08 "Dressing The Part""
Thanks -- already figured out 23 across, will finish it at lunchtime

05-04-08, 10:22 AM (EST)
16. "5/04/08 "The Secret Forest""
Here's this weeks puzzle. I got most of it, but there's a couple I am stuck on. Plus...I am still trying to figure out the hidden words. I'm going to sit down later and look at it more closely!

Happy puzzling!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •