The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The ad at the top of the page is for..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-26-07, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The ad at the top of the page is for..."
Some show called "Dexter" which is billed as a "breakthrough" show about "America's favorite serial killer" and shows a smiling guy with a winning smile and blood spatter on his face.

Ok, now I know that TV is all about shock value these days. But someone PLEASE tell me this is a joke. Are we THAT sick as a culture that we will allow a show about a sympathetic serial killer character to happen?

If so, I say we all drink the Kool-aid and assume the fetal position. Sick carp.

IceCat makes me jumpy

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The ad at the top of the page i... Breezy 09-26-07 1
   RE: The ad at the top of the page i... Spanky68 09-26-07 2
 RE: The ad at the top of the page i... Estee 09-26-07 3
   RE: The ad at the top of the page i... geg6 09-26-07 4
       RE: The ad at the top of the page i... Estee 09-26-07 5
       RE: The ad at the top of the page i... kingfish 09-26-07 6
           RE: The ad at the top of the page i... geg6 09-26-07 7
           RE: The ad at the top of the page i... Estee 09-26-07 8
               RE: The ad at the top of the page i... kingfish 09-26-07 9
 RE: The ad at the top of the page i... bondt007 09-27-07 10
   RE: The ad at the top of the page i... Spanky68 09-27-07 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-07, 03:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
Non Reality TV Board

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

09-26-07, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
Thanks. After reading Estee's recap and the reaction, I rescind my comments. I was hoping there was a logical reason for that kind of hype.

I am tempted to watch.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

IceCat makes me jumpy

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-07, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
*sigh* Spanky, it's a really good show... and honestly, it's nice to see Dexter smiling like that. He's usually not that happy.

We discussed the first season over in the general television section, as Breezy just hinted. But since you missed both that and the entire first season, let me give you the core of the sympathy argument: Dexter is a serial killer -- who only kills other serial killers. His adoptive father spotted Dexter's need to kill early, realized there was no stopping it, and decided to channel it instead. No one can teach a killer to avoid leaving evidence like a cop, and Harry Morgan was a very, very good cop.

Dexter works for the Miami PD as a forsenics expert specializing in blood splatter analysis. This also gives him access to files, and from there, all he has to do is piece together the evidence and then go remove another menace to society. As long as Dexter's prowling the streets, Miami is a lot safer.

He's a complex character. In a lot of ways, it's a complex series. And it asks a lot of moral questions, starting with 'Can you do good by doing evil in the right direction?'

If you want to borrow the DVD set, say so. Or you could just read Jeff Lindsay's books. There's three so far, although I personally found the third one very weak.

Dexter a sympathetic character. And as I said once before, he has a wicked sense of humor for someone who can't find anything funny...

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-07, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-26-07 AT 04:08 PM (EST)

I agree completely that he's a sympathetic character. But that's pretty much why I'm not a fan. I've watched. The show is well-acted and well-written. I just find it highly disturbing and not in a good way. I have no desire to sympathize with a serial killer in any way, shape, or form. It just makes me feel creepy.

But I can see why others like it.

Edited to add: That sort of cognitive dissonance is why I've also sworn off 24. Much as it is a total roller coaster ride and completely implausible (and I'd still do Kiefer any day of the week), I find that I'm not comfortable with the underlying premise that any action by the government under the guise of "protecting us," however heinous, is acceptable.

I watch fictional tv to escape from all things in this country that make me uncomfortable. I don't need my tv shows to add to it.

"And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception." Mark Twain

09-26-07, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
Well, with Dexter, I also have the respect that comes from one professional watching another do their work with both skill and talent.

It's an industry thing, really.

He saves glass slides. I have VHS tapes and DVDs.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-07, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-26-07 AT 04:20 PM (EST)

The premier is Sept 30, and you've seen it? A sneak preview, I guess. Anyway I had managed to filter out the ad on the page and hadn't noticed it.

Now I'm curious. And admittedly I'm not proud of the fact that this plot line would interest me, still, it does. I'll watch it once at least.

Maybe serial killers have been getting a bad rap all this time.

This Sunday? Hope it doesn't interfere with THE WAR, the plot line of which isn't that un-glum either. Ken Burns is good TV though.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-07, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
I believe this would be the second season.

"And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception." Mark Twain

09-26-07, 04:35 PM (EST)
8. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
Hope it doesn't interfere with THE WAR, the plot line of which isn't that un-glum either.

Plus they're both second seasons.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-07, 06:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
Oh.

Just in case anyone ever thinks that I can be caught speechless, here I am.

Speechless.

Nothing to say.

Just open mouthed, dumbfounded, and blank faced.

(I get the war rerun joke though, so maybe that's something? Eh, maybe not.)

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-27-07, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
I've watched this show several times and think it's junk - judge for yourself, but I won't waste my time...

>Issued by "Q" and RollDdice

Charter Member, April 2001; Club Anti-DAW

09-27-07, 06:33 PM (EST)
11. "RE: The ad at the top of the page is for..."
I like the premise as Estee explained it a lot more than the "sympathetic murderer" premise implied by the ad. But like you and Geg (I can see her cringe) I won't be watching it. I don't want to feel sympathetic for ANY murderer. So i won't be watching it.

Thanks for the tip.

Surfkitten Siggie Shop

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •