The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

FireAnt 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-15-06, 00:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FireAnt Click to send private message to FireAnt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
First episode, Sekou: As he slaps the top of Hiki's new hut, he says "this here is low-income housing." Earlier in the show, when talking about the division of the tribes by ethnicity, I think it was Sundra who said that African Americans "don't just run track."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode mistyrose52 09-15-06 1
   RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode jbug 09-15-06 2
       RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode FireAnt 09-15-06 3
           RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode TxMom2011 09-18-06 6
               RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode Aruba 09-18-06 7
                   RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode TxMom2011 09-19-06 8
 RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode keanuskiss 09-15-06 4
 RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode jbug 09-18-06 5
   RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode FireAnt 09-22-06 9
 RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode Lasann 09-22-06 10
   RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode emydi 09-22-06 11
       RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode Lasann 09-22-06 12
       RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode Brownroach 09-22-06 13
       RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode xwraith27 09-22-06 15
 RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode iltarion 09-22-06 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-15-06, 09:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistyrose52 Click to send private message to mistyrose52 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
I think it's interesting that the African-American and one member of the Asian tribe are able to 'make light' of the whole ethnical situation, and go as far as doing their own stereotyping.

I think in the AA's case, they have comedians like Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy to fall back on, and we all have listened to those people, along with Whoopie, and laughed along with them, but God forbid, nothing like that would ever come out of a white mouth!

It's just interesting to me seeing the different cultures taking on these tasks and finding themselves in the middle of basically a culture war, whether they chose to see it that way or not.

I see, too, that as a viewer, I find myself putting the different groups into cultural categories (ie the Hispanics can scale the walls better than anyone because they have to know how to cross the borders).

Do you see where this could go if we aren't careful? I found myself falling into that trap several times last night! And I have NEVER considered myself a biggot in any way-I have friends from all walks and races.

I wonder if the other races out there can say the same? Are you finding yourselves categorizing the other tribes by what they are stereotypically KNOWN to be able to do??

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-15-06, 10:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
I know I thought from the beginning that the Asian group would do well and they did! From my personal experience, these are SMART people who are hard working, dedicated, determined, loyal, and persistant. Sure there must be some who don't fit these characteristics but those I have met surely do. So, I guess I do have a predetermined "stereo-type" notion of the Asian Tribe.

09-15-06, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FireAnt Click to send private message to FireAnt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
You could always view this ethnic/sociological experiment in a positive light: while watching ensuing episodes, viewers will develop favourite tribes, ones they could see themselves on due to personality similarities rather than cultural ones. After the first episode, I would have liked to join Hiki (AA) or Aitu (Latino), and I'm caucasian. I just liked what I saw of these tribes' personalities.

Yes, even the survivors themselves were stereo-typing. Recall Flicka describing her tribe: "we've got the jock . . . and I'm the alternative . . . option." Which was certainly a memorable quote, and that's what this thread is about: Quotable Quotes! Can we get back on track?

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-18-06, 02:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TxMom2011 Click to send private message to TxMom2011 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
It will be interesting to see how the sterotypes play out. I am eagerly awaiting a swimming challenge. IMHO Black folks as a whole are not goood swimmers. It has little to do with their ethnicity and more to do with socio-economics. I grew up in the burbs where everyone had a pool and if you didnt there was a neighborhood pool. My inner-city cousins are not strong swimmers, if they can swim at all, because they didn't have access to a pool growing up. Has there been a strong Black swimmer on Survivor... I can't remember one. Can you?

Aruba 3400 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-18-06, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Aruba Click to send private message to Aruba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
Yep...Jolanda from Survivor Palau. During the premier episode the first "challenge" was everyone swimming to shore. The first male and female won the right to start the schoolyard pick which guaranteed them to start the game. Yolanda beat out nine other women (and a few men) to take the women's title.

It's easy to forget her since the Ulong tribe committed the cardinal sin of voting out the stonger player right in the beginning when critical team challenges have to be won.

As it turned out Ulong (affectionately known as "So-Long") paid dearly for that decision.

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-19-06, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TxMom2011 Click to send private message to TxMom2011 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
Yeah... how could I forget Jolanda - who just happens to have grown up in the same area of Houston as I did.

keanuskiss 10 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-06, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail keanuskiss Click to send private message to keanuskiss Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
"I need to take a break". That cracked me up. He needed to go, he was not going to contribute a whole lot.

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

09-18-06, 09:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
Billy : "When the tribes were divided, I thought 'What an advantage for the Hispanics' -- the Hispanics all come from the Caribbean or South America backgrounds where we're used to being in the tropical setting,..."

This struck me as odd. Was Billy implying that he (& the others on his tribe) were all transplants - having been born & raised in the Caribbean - tropical settings and moved to their current USA locations?
or that just from their heritage, since their ancestors were "used to the tropical setting" that it was an advantage to all of them automatically?

You know, just because my grandparents were farmers and milked cows, that doesn't make me automatically know how to do it! LOL

09-22-06, 00:09 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
WHOA!!!!! Billy takes it in the second episode (in terms of a quotable quote)with his "it was love at first sight" comment regarding Candice. Jeez, just wait 'til Candice hears about that! Wonder if she will be more surprised than the rest of us were, including Jeff. Too bad Billy's gone--with surreal comments like that, he'd have been fun to watch for a few more episodes!

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-22-06, 09:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
LAST EDITED ON 09-22-06 AT 09:14 AM (EST)

Last night JP said, paraphrasing because my memory's bad,:

Our tribe is doing well. We are good workers, it's in our blood.

Someone with TIVO can maybe quote him exact.

Edited to remove duplicate sig

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-06, 10:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
Lasann, have we been told what countries each of the Aitu come from? Billy is DR and he said others in Carib but I don't remember hearing it like we did with Puka tribe

Bc the stereotype for Mexicans (ala Mendicino the comic) is that they work hard...

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-22-06, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
If we've been told I missed it. I was wondering that also. His profile says that he was born in Santa Monica - nothing on his country of origin!

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-06, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
They all come from the country of California.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

xwraith27 1136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-22-06, 06:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail xwraith27 Click to send private message to xwraith27 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
Cecilia's Peruvian.

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

09-22-06, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"

"Me and Billy Boy, it was love at first sight." - Candice

Hahaha... Okay, I just made that stuff up. Hahahahahahaha....

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •