The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Update on Chris Daugherty winner of Vanuatu"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

cadfile 176 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-12-05, 11:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cadfile Click to send private message to cadfile Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Update on Chris Daugherty winner of Vanuatu"
I live in Columbus, OH the media HQ for the area where Chris lives and still works. Our paper published a story on him today - tied into the end of the season last night.

Chris is still working for ODOT repairing roads in Logan county.

Daugherty, 35, and fiancee Lorie Groves tied the knot in February on Daytona Speedway’s Victory Lane, with NASCAR veteran Mark Martin serving as honorary best man and cars whizzing by on the track.

The "experience of a lifetime," he said, was a two-week tour of Army bases in Western Europe in October with Survivor contestants Rudy Boesch and Sandra Diaz-Twine.

"The soldiers’ reaction when they saw us — they went crazy. They set up these huge Survivor games and me, Rudy and Sandra judged them. Thank goodness we didn’t have to do them ourselves."

Since his return to the States, Daugherty has kept busy with public appearances — more lately than in the months immediately after the show.

"I get more phone calls for appearances, whether autographs or talks," he said. "I’m not complaining. I’m really happy."

Part of the upswing stems from Chris’ friendship with fellow Survivor winner Ethan Zohn, who has included him in efforts for Zohn’s Grassroot Soccer, a nonprofit group that benefits AIDS patients in Africa.

Also through Zohn, Daugherty and his wife have met many NASCAR drivers and officials — a thrill for the longtime fans.

"Our real love is NASCAR," said Lorie, who has kept her job with American Equity Mortgage despite her husband’s Survivor success.

Daugherty has kept in touch with fellow contestant Julie Berry, with whom he developed a kinship.

Berry, who has been dating Survivor host Jeff Probst, invited Daugherty to Los Angeles for last night’s reunion finale of Survivor: Guatemala, the 11 th installment of the series.

But Daugherty didn’t go.

"I said, ‘If Jeff is going to fly me out, I’ll come. Otherwise, no way.’ I’m pretty cheap."

His father confirms as much.

"He’s rather frugal," Mr. Daugherty said, noting that, along with the money, his son came home from the show with a Pontiac G6.

"It’s in the barn," the elder Daugherty said. "He’s riding around in the pickup."

Still, Chris has parted ways with some of his riches (about 30 percent went to taxes).

During a visit to Martin’s Ford dealership in Arkansas, he more than made good on a promise to buy his wife a truck.

"Well, lo and behold, Mark Martin has a limited-edition Ford F-150 sports package," Daugherty said. "A $55,000 truck!

"I said: ‘You’re crazy! That’s not fair! I told you I’d buy you an F-150 but not one with a racing motor!’ "

Despite the bluster, he bought the truck — and later treated himself to a little something.

"I got the limited-edition Harley Fat Boy," he said.

His mother, Dixie, got a new kitchen.

"He took pretty good care of his mother," Mr. Daugherty said. "He’s the youngest of five, so she earned it."

Beyond those purchases, "I have been extremely tight," Chris said.

"I don’t want to spend all my money. We’re going to put up a house."

A year ago, Daugherty said that he planned to renovate an old farmhouse he owned.

His plans changed, though, when a basement he dug for an addition "structurally ruined it," he said. "The corner dropped. I realized it when I spilled an ice-cube tray, and the water started running down the floor. I realized the floor wasn’t even level.

"I told my dad: ‘Forget about fixing up this place. Bring your trackhoe over, and let’s tear it down.’ "

Rather than build a home from the ground up, the Daughertys will have a customized modular home assembled on the property.

"You would be amazed at some of the people who did Unibilt instead of the stickbuilt," Daugherty said. "There are some high-class, extremely successful people — their homes look like mansions."

Plus, Lorie noted, "it saves us tens of thousands of dollars."

"We’re looking at 3,800 square feet," Chris said. "I think I’m looking at four or five bedrooms. But I didn’t think it through. What I didn’t calculate was that a woman wants to put furniture in every room."

While they await the delivery and assembly of the home, they’re living with his father in-Madison County and counting their blessings.

"We were in the car on the way back from New York," Lorie said, "and we were talking about how it’s unbelievable what we’ve been through in 2005 — Survivor, NASCAR, meeting people from other reality shows."

Her husband said he takes nothing for granted.

"I thought last year was the best year of my life. But this year may have topped it.

"I’ve been real fortunate — real fortunate."

'Survivor' winner hasn’t moved into life’s fast lane
Monday, December 12, 2005 Columbus Ohio Dispatch

I use to be a photon in the wavelength continuum, but now I wear pants and talk.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Update on Chris Daugherty winne... cadfile 12-12-05 1
 RE: Update on Chris Daugherty winne... Dakota 12-14-05 2
 RE: Update on Chris Daugherty winne... Lisa0116 12-20-05 3
   RE: Update on Chris Daugherty winne... oz4ever 12-20-05 4
       RE: Update on Chris Daugherty winne... mhb0125 12-25-05 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cadfile 176 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-12-05, 11:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cadfile Click to send private message to cadfile Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Update on Chris Daugherty winner of Vanuatu"
I forgot to add the picture that came with the article I quoted above:

The caption read:

Has success gone to the head of Survivor winner Chris Daugherty? Well, his ODOT truck is far fancier than his 1987 Ford.

I use to be a photon in the wavelength continuum, but now I wear pants and talk.

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-14-05, 11:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Update on Chris Daugherty winner of Vanuatu"
Thanks for the update! It's good to see that not all winners of reality shows end up doing reality shows for a living (can you say "Omarosa"?). On the other hand, Chris wasn't one of the most well known or popular survivors--winners or losers--like Colby, Jeff, Rupert, Rob, Colleen, Richard -- so probably isn't getting the offers and attention that some other contestants have gotten. I think a lot of it is the personality (and looks) of the contestant as much as whether or not they get the big check. At least now I know how to check to see if my floor is level. (Sorry, I'm a Basher at heart.)
Mystic Artistry
Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

Lisa0116 688 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-20-05, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisa0116 Click to send private message to Lisa0116 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Update on Chris Daugherty winner of Vanuatu"
Thanks for the update!!! I loved Chris-he beat out the evil Ami!!! I really disliked her. Nice that he got married and has plans for new digs. He seemed so much like the guy next door to me. Bet kids are next-maybe he will wait for the money to grow a little.

oz4ever 1604 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

12-20-05, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail oz4ever Click to send private message to oz4ever Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Update on Chris Daugherty winner of Vanuatu"
It's so great to hear you say that, Lisa. I absolutely couldn't stand Ami Cusack either. I hated her so much that when Guatemala's cast was revealed, I didn't even like Amy O'Hara because they had the same name. (I like Amy O'Hara now though, because she's actually a nice person unlike Ami Cusack). I just couldn't believe the way Ami acted when Leann got voted out, especially since she'd tried to target her "little sister" Eliza.

And a Tooheys New Year!

mhb0125 485 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-25-05, 01:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mhb0125 Click to send private message to mhb0125 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Update on Chris Daugherty winner of Vanuatu"
Thank you SO much for the update!!! Chris is one of my fav winners. When that season premiered I picked him as the winner and got scared when he kept falling down on that obstacle course but low and behold, he won!!! So glad to see that money hasn't made him "better" than the regular folk like me!!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •