The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Survivor is more than physique"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

cuon10 473 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

01-13-05, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cuon10 Click to send private message to cuon10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Survivor is more than physique"
LAST EDITED ON 01-13-05 AT 12:22 PM (EST)

I think a few of the posters may be losing the meaning of survivor or survival. In order to be a survivor in a game, I think you need to think about if you were really stranded or if you have a grave illness. Your strength comes first from the heart and the will. Interpreteted, that means how badly you want something.It also means how hard you are willing to fight for it. Which is not just about youth and being in good shape. If you were actually in a survival situation, you would need a plan, the skills of being able to think logically and calmly, strategy to help you get rescued and to survive until then and know how. Survival is also a basic human instinct. As people age it is more natural instinct. Alot of times, youth and invincibility cloud our other senses and our judgment and youth causes you not to think things trough. The first objective of the young guys on S9 was to vote the older ones off, as they were assuming they did not need any wisdom to think out the strategy. The fat five did not think about the physical strength of some of the younger ones either. But Sarge identified that at the reunion. The idea alliance on the men might have been Sarge, Chad,Brady, John K. and John P. That would have made an interesting dynamic.
Just as Twila,Ami,Julie,Lisa and Eliza should have hooked up. Or any combo thereof.
The point is this: If you have all youth in a game like this, you will end up with too much peacock struting and sexual
focus, and lose the part of the audience that has the most money to spend. If you have mostly the middle-age on there, the younger generation won't support the continuation of the show by watching it, so there has to be a happy medium and the fact that fewer youth win has more to do with strategy and mental skills than anything else. Osten is a prime example, perfect physical shape and fit, he could not put mind over matter at all. You cannot substitute anything for being able to adjust to your surroundings. That has alot to do with winning and with playing this game. Survivor Thailand and the cast were the worst example you could possibly use. Yes, Jan was not the most exciting character on the block and neither was Helen, but that would fall on the casting directors head. Plus, there was a reason Bryan did not get rid of them earlier. Boring as it was.
If they changed the format to make it easier for the younger ones to survive, is it really surviving? The big thing about surviving would be to also make sure you mix with all the players on your tribe and not just the ones you click with because of age, common interests, attraction. You end up finding the one true person you can count on in the game and that might be the old guy for a young one or the whippersnapper for the old grump.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Survivor is more than physique Wheezy 01-13-05 1
   RE: Survivor is more than physique Brownroach 01-13-05 2
       RE: Survivor is more than physique volsfan 01-13-05 3
           Lost PhoenixMons 01-13-05 4
   RE: Survivor is more than physique cuon10 01-13-05 6
       RE: Survivor is more than physique cuon10 01-13-05 7
           RE: Survivor is more than physique Mo0 01-13-05 9
               RE: Survivor is more than physique cuon10 01-13-05 10
                   RE: Survivor is more than physique anotherkim 01-22-05 12
                       RE: Survivor is more than physique Mo0 01-22-05 13
                       RE: Survivor is more than physique cuon10 01-22-05 14
 Moved hear from Spoilers IceCat 01-13-05 5
   RE: Moved hear from Spoilers cuon10 01-13-05 8
       Sorry, no... IceCat 01-14-05 11
 RE: Survivor is more than physique cuon10 01-24-05 15
 RE: Survivor is more than physique cuon10 01-24-05 16
   RE: Survivor is more than physique JohnMc 01-24-05 17
       RE: Survivor is more than physique cuon10 01-24-05 18
           RE: Survivor is more than physique JohnMc 01-25-05 19
               RE: Survivor is more than physique cuon10 01-25-05 20
 RE: Survivor is more than physique cuon10 01-26-05 21
 Could this theory be proving itself... cuon10 02-23-05 22
   Note to cuon10 AyaK 02-23-05 23
       Yeah! Mo0 02-23-05 24
       RE: Note to cuon10 cuon10 02-23-05 26
   The theory has proven itself over 9... television 02-23-05 25

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-13-05, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"

Are you saying (in that lengthy paragraph) that posters here shouldn't base their opinions on a Survivor's body alone?

If so, I disagree that spoilers here do that.

If not, I think you lost me. Could you clarify your point, please?

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-05, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
I didn't understand it either, Wheezy.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-05, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
I was lost too! However, at this point in the game all we can do is go on looks. Right?

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-13-05, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Lost"
vols, I know you are LOST along with me

And Ibrehem is hotter than hot! *wolf whistle*

01-13-05, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cuon10 Click to send private message to cuon10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
No, I am not saying that posters are even doing that, but great physical shape is not the only thing that gets you into final 6, 4 or even 2. There are several great-looking people on this upcoming survivor,true? What really is going to count is the strategy behind their game. And a little luck. The numbers don't fall to the feet of the ones with the great physiques or John P or Brady would have wone S9. But don't you get disappointed if you start rooting for someone, to find they don't have a brain in their head or ride the coattails to the end. I do. I just don't want to see Survivor go down the toilet because Survivor goes from a contest about a game loosely based on "Lord of the Flies" to a contest of hotties.
Survivor is one of the reality-based shows that is actually about a game. I happen to like several of the contestants based on their bios, and yeah that one blonde guy is hot,hot,hot and I don't even like blondes, hopefully, he can play the game too. But there is something to be said about a great mix of people. That is what makes it interesting.

01-13-05, 05:57 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
Besides, I look forward to Thursdays and hope that Survivor continues for several years. I rooted for Elisabeth Filarski because she was a game player. I also would have rooted for Dolly if she had had any interest in the game. John K. was a good strategist, but lazy. Too bad. I just truly like when the game is very interactive like Pearl Islands,Marqueses and Borneo.

Mo0 427 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-05, 07:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mo0 Click to send private message to Mo0 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
Pearl Islands was equal parts a large group of players playing the game well and the fact that there were very many outspoken and well-defined characters that you could root for or against. The main problem with some seasons, such as Vanuatu, was that while there was a decent amount of strategy going on, a lot of the roster post-merge felt like filler or people who got there only because they went along with others (Julie). In my opinion, the best seasons are the ones that combine good characters with good gameplay; All-Stars had some great characters but lousy gameplay, and Africa had wonderful gameplay but forgettable characters (in my opinion, at least). Pearl Islands, Borneo, and Outback are the three seasons that come to mind that really make me think that the casting directors got the characters right, and the characters themselves got the game right.

However, I do recall reading somewhere thgat the casting directors can't take all of the blame for boring characters making it to the end; the players themselves end up determining their fates, and so if the game ends with a totally unlikable Final Four, the directors really had no way of preventing that, nor did anyone else on the show. In the end, you need to blame the people who are playing almost as much as the people who got them there in the first place.

-Mo0cow--
I'm not stupid, just selectively ignorant.

01-13-05, 10:10 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
True, this is true. I went back and read bios of the players for 10 and you can get a sense of who they are. Everybody has their own idea of fun and just because you like monopoly does not necessarily mean your boring, but I think you can kind of tell from the games they like and a few of the other bio info items if they are: trying too hard, trying to look smarter by naming complicated, monotonous games, putting things down to make them sound more competitive or whatever. A few of them did that. Games come somewhat from what the trend is. Some games are timeless and always fun such as:scrabble, but if someone has 6 or 7 choices for each topic, I think you could see them as indecisive. Or flip-floppers. You can learn alot about people by their tastes and choices and selections on almost anything in life and it is a cool way to learn people in a game like this.
People who like clear lights and one style bulb on their Christmas tree, can be seen as anal;stiff;conservative. People who like colored lights and many bulbs can be considered: lovers of life,fun-loving and laid-back.
People who like only very basic fruits,simple foods or are picky are usually routiners that like things to follow a schedule or routine. There are many different ways of getting feelers about your fellow competitors and maybe getting an edge
on them in the game. The ones you most want to watch out for are the ones that play games like:risk,poker,cranium or chinese checkers. Strategy players.
That is why I say that survivor is more than physique. But speaking of which, Amy on S9's physique spoke for her. Cocky, confident, maybe too confident, she spends lots of time on her body. Sarah, Boston Rob's galpal the first time around, her body language spoke for itself, spoiled. Big boobs and used to lots of male attention and males catering. She was not used to doing for herself. All of that is part of the game too.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-05, 01:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"

People who like clear lights and one style bulb on their Christmas tree, can be seen as anal;stiff;conservative. People who like colored lights and many bulbs can be considered: lovers of life,fun-loving and laid-back.

What about those of us who have a tree with each type of light?

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--FTR, I think that is one of the worst assumptions I've read here in awhile, but perhaps I'm just not thrilled with being called anal.

01-22-05, 09:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mo0 Click to send private message to Mo0 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
LAST EDITED ON 01-22-05 AT 09:34 AM (EST)

Around our house, it's not a Christmas light setup if plugging it all into one socket won't blow a fuse. We go for wattage, not taste.

-Mo0cow--

01-22-05, 02:05 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
I would say those who have a tree of each type have their serious side, with a few rigid rules, but know how to have their fun too. It was only an example, and it was based on a varied group of people I have had the priviledge to share Christmas or Christmas ideas with and also taking in stride several relatives.
There are,however, exceptions to every rule. Also, it was an example I was trying to use in regards to reading people. My sister is a clear light person and she never relaxes a moment. If she were given an opportunity to relax, she would find another portal or issue to be anal about. There are several other examples who are similar, but the point was about reading people and that seemed to be just an example to use, not intended to be personal.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-05, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Moved hear from Spoilers"
The discussion was not 'spoilerish'.

01-13-05, 06:00 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Moved hear from Spoilers"
Thanks. Since you moved that, is it possible you could help me with a problem. I want to change my name from cuon10 to cuon11,yet I cannot do that without changing to another email. I do not wish to do that. Is there anyway to change my username and keep it going to the email it currently goes to. All my other info is the same, just want to change from cuon10 to cuon11. Thanks.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

01-14-05, 04:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Sorry, no..."
There is no easy way to do what you are requesting. Also, it would be very inconvenient if many people changed their user name for each new Survivor season.

01-24-05, 11:54 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
The thing that I wanted to get many people to realize was not putting down physical fitness at all, but people think this is a game all about physique and fitness and the history of Survivor shows us that the physical aspect of the game is only one of 3 or 4 parts of it. It is also not that each time they have voted out the strongest either. Richard Hatch was not the finest speciman of physical health, neither was Sue, Tina beat Colby, Ethan was probably one of the closest to a physically in shape winner, in Marqueses Vecepia,Nehlia and Kathy in final 3, Brian,please(Ken and a couple of others had fitness over him)
Jenna M,Heidi and Rob C. and Butch, ok. Some of the most physically fit on Pearl Island,such as Burton and Shawn, they were fit dorks and Shawn was not the smartest in strategy either.
Rupert was stronger even though he is overweight. Being overweight does not make you strong, he just had plain brawn,which is great in team challenges with lifting and pulling.
He was also an excellent swimmer. In All-Stars, Colby,Ethan it did not figure in to their survivibility and it was not just because people were getting rid of the strongest physical threats first. Many see Wanda and Willard not being on there long, possibly being 2 of the first 3. Well, why would you get rid of the easier to beat physically up front before everyone is weaker? There are alot of factors that play into the ultimate survivor. If you go by the factors up front for 10, the most likely final 6 from a guessing point of view to me would be:
Tom,Katie,Greg, Jonathan,Stephanie and either Kim or Ashlee. Ashlee because she is very young which may give her a little edge with endurance.

01-24-05, 03:16 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
This is the thing that is getting me. The game of Survivos is to
"Outwit, outlast and outplay" not about outlook someone. Part of Survivor's uniqueness is the fact that someone has to "think" to truly play this game. Across the board there are the comments about the hot, the good-looking and the physically fit.
hot does not guarantee wit,endurance or game skills and neither does looks. While physical fitness does, it alone does not help during the tribe phase of the game. The tribe members choose to do that. The thing that they have done wrong is to be so sure they know when the merge is going to happen and to rid themselves of the stronger ones that would benefit them in tribe challenges and sometimes even the provider. Then you end up with the lazy ones and the other ones that get mad because the lazy ones sometimes outnumber them. You need the whole variety to keep the show being competitive.

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-24-05, 05:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
I have always believed that it is important to keep your own post alive by posting to it twice, particularly after no one has replied. Posting to your own post always adds to its relevance, and posting twice in a row to your own post makes it twice as relevant.

</sarcasm>

01-24-05, 06:32 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
I remember you from last year and there is alot of relevance. Just like the same people keep wanting to see "young" physically fit people playing survivor. They keep talking about how fit this group of castaways are. Here's a hint: the reason behind the "success of Survivor" has to do with how smart the game is and how intelligently it was designed. It is a game that makes you think further than just what you see visually of a person. It makes you want to be able to analyze what might be going on in the heads of the others and how you can best "outwit" "outlast" and "outplay" your opponent. Anyone can build up their body and be in the best physical shape of all their opponents, but not everyone has the "wits" or the endurance to "outplay" their opponent. I apologize to have put forth an analogy that is so far above your cerebral cortex.

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-25-05, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
You realize, of course, that we will probably end up being cast together for S11. That would be sweet justice to our blossoming relationship.

Thank you for using grown up words like "analogy" and "cerebral." You prove yourself a worthy opponent.

But if you separate your thoughts into logical paragraphs, you make it easier for others to understand the relevant points you are presenting.

Oh, btw, Keith, I plan on taking you to F2 this time instead of Tina. Love, Colby.

01-25-05, 05:04 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
You know, that is probably what will occur. However, if being in a hurry and not always being grammatically correct are the worst crimes or sins I ever committ, then I am in great shape.

As for "Colby", you remember what happened to him in all-stars, don't you? Booya and he was gone. Maybe I realized grammatical errors were your pet peeve and you are a practice dummy for smoking out and alienating the opponent. Do not be so sure, you would be taking "Keith" anywhere. Maybe you would be going to final 2 and then the tribe will officially have spoken.

01-26-05, 01:49 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Survivor is more than physique"
Here is exactly what I am talking about. This is a quote from Sandra Diaz-Twine in regards to the very thing:

pppp: Sandra, what do you think of Osten quitting the game?
Sandra: You should never judge a book by its cover. Just because you have muscles doesn't make you strong.

02-23-05, 08:27 AM (EST)
22. "Could this theory be proving itself ALREADY?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-23-05 AT 08:37 PM (EST)

Like I had previously said, Survivor is more than physique.
Ulong is made up largely of great physiques. I understand that Jolanda was a little pushy and had a strong personality, but I believe Ulong made a mistake.They could have hung onto her for a little bit. She was physically, probably the strongest woman out there, followed in a close second by Janu and then Stephanie. Hopefully, we will see strategy and skill in the coming weeks along with a largely physically attractive cast.
But Jolanda was a person of strength and it did not get her anywhere.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 04:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Note to cuon10"
if the specs and spoilers we keep getting in are true

Please keep spoiler information off the Fanatics Board, OK? Fanatics is intended to be as spoiler-free as we can keep it, so that people who DON'T want to know what happens before the show airs can come here without worry.

02-23-05, 06:36 PM (EST)
24. "Yeah!"
Meanie!

(No worries, I'm not mad, just being silly)
-Mo0cow--

02-23-05, 08:32 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Note to cuon10"
Sorry, I did not intend to word it to be spoilerish and I will go back and edit out the spoilerish stuff right now. Not thinking. Thanks.

television 282 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-23-05, 08:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail television Click to send private message to television Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "The theory has proven itself over 9 seasons"
Example - Rob C.

Example - Kim J making final 2.

Example - Lill making final 2... or even, the whole final 3 of Pearl Islands.

Example - Scout making final 3.

Example - Jan making final 3.

Example - Rudy making final 3.

Example - the fat five in Vanuatu.

The "theory" is hardly original, and has already been proven many times over.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •