The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Amazing Race is fizzling out"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

kcswansoman 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-15-05, 02:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kcswansoman Click to send private message to kcswansoman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Amazing Race is fizzling out"
Anyone else get the feeling TAR is gonna get canceled after family edition airs (and is a monumental failure)? Don't get me wrong, TAR is the best show on tv, but you know when they start adding in gimics like "family edition" it's clear that the producers are scraping the barrel for ratings. Basically TAR is following Survivor's path: to continue beating a dead horse by trying numerous schemes to get people to keep watching. It worked for a season or two, but, as you may sense, Survivor is wayyy out of steam, and sadly enough so is TAR.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out 712 04-15-05 1
   Agree... PepeLePew13 04-15-05 3
       RE: Agree... bondt007 04-18-05 21
 Nah, I don't agree realitybites 04-15-05 2
   RE: Nah, I don't agree TARugh 04-16-05 15
 Disagree Mo0 04-15-05 4
   RE: Disagree Katesgram 04-15-05 5
       RE: Disagree PepeLePew13 04-15-05 6
           RE: Disagree crouilla 04-15-05 8
               RE: Disagree PepeLePew13 04-15-05 10
                   RE: Disagree crouilla 04-18-05 20
 RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out seahorse 04-15-05 7
   don't forget NBC coffeegrrl 04-15-05 9
       RE: don't forget NBC seahorse 04-18-05 19
 RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out Max Headroom 04-15-05 11
 RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out RocketAudy 04-15-05 12
 RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out Horatio 04-15-05 13
 RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out TARugh 04-16-05 14
 RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out Jims02 04-16-05 16
 RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out cambo 04-17-05 17
   RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out packrat 04-17-05 18
       RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out Stana 10-06-05 22
 RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out Snidget 10-06-05 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

712 356 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-15-05, 03:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 712 Click to send private message to 712 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
LAST EDITED ON 04-15-05 AT 03:15 AM (EST)

Is that why it is currently doing better than it ever has in ratings?

If anything will cause this show to run out of steam it will be overkill. 3 races in less than 12 months!

PepeLePew13 26140 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-15-05, 06:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Agree..."
This overexposure of TAR in the past year could be a problem as people could start to get 'sick' of the show too quickly. TAR would have a better shot of lasting a long time if they spread it out to two seasons per year, i.e. Sept-to-Nov and March-to-May.

As it is, we've had season 5, season 6 and season 7 all crammed together, then this summer off, then both season 8 on TV and TAR Classic on DVD starting in September. Overexposure.

Yes, it's doing great in the ratings, but after three seasons in a row without much of a break capped by a ratings surge fuelled by Romber, we could be in for a big fall in the ratings with the family edition. I still believe that TAR is good to go for as long as it can go, I'm betting we'll still have a 9th and 10th edition in 2006.

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-18-05, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Agree..."
I would agree as well. If both took a bit of a break, fans would still be fans and there would be some anticipation. Having TAR start so soon after the last one, I'm bearly interested. Same goes for Survivor.

After the Family TAR edition, I'd really give it a break of at least a "season", leak info here and there, leak a start date, and even bump that a month or so...

Charter Member, April 2001; Club Anti-DAW

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-15-05, 04:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Nah, I don't agree"
The family edition might be a colossal failure, but the ratings for the last three editions pretty much assures that there will be a TAR #9.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the next edition, though. As long as they don't take themselves too seriously and cast mature, intelligent people of all ages, it could be interesting.

Reality show babes: Deidre (TAR2), Mary (TAR2), Emily (TAR), Hera (TAR6), the 2nd round tokens (Bachelor), Mary D. (Bachelor), Melissa M. (Joe Millionaire), Sara (American Dream Derby)

TARugh 159 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-16-05, 01:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TARugh Click to send private message to TARugh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Nah, I don't agree"
You may be interested in this thread about Amazing Race babes.
http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=2307&forum=DCForumID20&omm=0

Mo0 427 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-15-05, 07:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mo0 Click to send private message to Mo0 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Disagree"
TAR 8 may put a chink in the series' armor, since it could very well come off as a parody of its former self. However, both TAR and Survivor are still performing rather well, and I don't think CBS is ready to get rid of its Thursday lineup at all, which is performing really well for them. TAR might end up getting axed unless, like you said, they tone down just how much TAR there is at once. You can't fault them for trying to keep the miraculous ratings upswing going, though.

-Mo0cow--
I'm not stupid, just selectively ignorant.

Katesgram 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-15-05, 09:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Katesgram Click to send private message to Katesgram Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Disagree"
The only thing I have had a problem with this season is Rob amd Amber being on it. I couldn't stand them on Survivor and I like them even less on here. I also think it was stupid to give them the chance to win a million when they already won a million. There aren't enough people trying to get on the show that they had to use someone who already had THEIR 15 minutes of fame? I just about didn't bother to watch this season because of them being on it. I about puke everytime I hear Rob-"Me and Ambah ah jus' smahtah than the resta yas".GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG
Stepping down from my soap box now and going back to my little corner of the world.

04-15-05, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Disagree"
But you've got to admit that TAR 7 would be a lot duller without Romber, like them or hate them. Who's gonna be someone 'interesting' to watch besides Romber of the final five right now? Ron and Kelly? Please. Uchenna and Joyce? Watching paint dry is more exciting. Meredith and Gretchen? We watch to see if they can avoid getting killed or maimed. Lynn and Alex? They're grating on all of our nerves by now and they've shot their mouths off in the wrong way a number of times by now.

Scratch and sniff

crouilla 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-15-05, 12:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail crouilla Click to send private message to crouilla Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Disagree"
In all honesty, though, the only thing annoying about Lynn and Alex is their intense hatred of Romber (which obscures their ability to play well). I liked them at the start of the show, when they were extremely entertaining and funny -- but they've slowly degraded and gotten more annoying by the episode due to their Romber-hating. Take Romber out of the equation, and I think they'd be interesting again.

As for the topic, everyone's right. I personally thought the 3-4 weeks between Season 6 and 7 was way too short. I'd rather they had waited at least a couple months. It would have led to anticipation, rather than a feeling of "already?"

04-15-05, 01:42 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Disagree"
Well, their 'holier than thou' attitude over stopping to help the brothers after their car roll-over after they were told to keep going combined with their blatantly racist comments in South Africa have done more to lower Lynn/Alex in my eyes than their obsession of Romber.

Scratch and sniff

crouilla 19 desperate attention whore postings

04-18-05, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail crouilla Click to send private message to crouilla Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Disagree"
I agree with the racist comment thing, but the "holier than thou" part was just an extension of their Romber-hating. If it had been anyone else to drive by, I don't think they would have said a word.

Mind you, I was as annoyed as anyone that Romber didn't even slow down long enough to poke their head out the window, but Team Stereotype is definitely taking it too far.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-05, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
I think TAR will be around for a while. The ratings have never been better and it is critically acclaimed.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

coffeegrrl 31 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-15-05, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail coffeegrrl Click to send private message to coffeegrrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "don't forget NBC"
They've got some new show called "Treasure Hunt" where teams race and search across the globe for $$$. This may hurt TAR, too. I hope not (even though I plan to check the new show out).

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

04-18-05, 08:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: don't forget NBC"
Because they are copycatting TAR, it seems at least the NBC thinks the concept is a good one and it is not dying out.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-05, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
Does anyone remember ABC's "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire"? That show temporarily revived ABC's ratings, but was overextended to air every weeknight, eventually damaging ABCs ratings for some time as they had no other worthy shows to run when "Millionaire" finally wore out its welcome.

Digression aside, I agree that the biggest danger to TAR is overexposure. Too much, too frequently will kill the TAR franchise much faster than any copycat show.

"Twenty minutes into the future..."

RocketAudy 70 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-15-05, 05:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RocketAudy Click to send private message to RocketAudy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
While there IS a risk of overexposure, I think the show is going strong. This season ranks among the best. I've found that this show follows a pattern of odd numbered seasons being the best, each followed by a lackluster season.

Best seasons: 1, 3, 5 and 7

Lame seasons: 2, 4, 6...

...which does not bode well for the family-race. (I'm personally dreading it.) But hopefully they'll abandon the idea and go back to the tried and true.

Horatio 50 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-15-05, 09:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Horatio Click to send private message to Horatio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
As a diehard fan, I hope the race never dies out, but as tv shows do, it's inevitable. They need to only do 2 a year and stop with all this gimmick crap. No more "stars" from other tv shows. Just find some angry a-hole/stupid bimbo couples from real America.

That being said, if AR absolutely had to have a final season, I would LOVE to see an AR All-Stars. Have voting on the Amazing Race website of all the previous teams, not just winners. AR Winners would not get an automatic berth in the All-Star game. I think there's probably some post around here with an Fantasy All-Stars team pick. Anyways, that's what I think.

----------------------------

TARugh 159 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-05, 01:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TARugh Click to send private message to TARugh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
This was being discussed in another forum, but I forget if it was Bashers or Speculation.

I feel the Amazing Race will always have a fan base, but we may not see the ratings after the first few episodes of Season 8.

With a lower age cut-off and a family edition, expect the road blocks and detours to be watered down so kids would be able to complete them. Much more whining and complaining.

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-05, 02:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
I really hope it doesn't. At first glance, a Family Edition looks pretty cheesy and may hurt the future ratings of the show. The ratings for TAR7 are up, and they're getting a stronger fanbase. Changing up the formula might not be the best move right now. Maybe in a couple seasons.

Jims02: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate. Jims' Random Thoughts

cambo 286 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-17-05, 06:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cambo Click to send private message to cambo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
I'm not a big fan of the family edition either. This is probably jumping the shark, but I'd like to see an all reality star season. Put on contestants from past seasons of Amazing Race, Survivor, Big Brother, Bachelor, etc and watch 'em scrap!

packrat 112 desperate attention whore postings

04-17-05, 06:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail packrat Click to send private message to packrat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
I don't really think that TAR will be canceled anytime soon, either. I do however think that the back to back races wasn't really the smartest thing to do, but since we had waited such an awfully long time between seasons 5 and 6, I was wondering if it had been canceled. I knew that didn't make sense because they had just won the Emmy. I also think that since they haven't started racing yet on the Family edition it'll get people itchy for it to start. They were talking in another forum about TV Guide announcing that Rupert would be racing in the family edition, and I think that's a BIG mistake. God love him, he's just not that bright. I liked him OK on Survivor, but I can't take too much of him. I loved when he 'pirated' the other teams stuff, but other than that he just didn't show alot of brains.

Stana 12 desperate attention whore postings

10-06-05, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Stana Click to send private message to Stana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
Well makin it easier for families to compete might make it peter out sooner....I posted earlier if the families with the small children were gonna be hurt more than the families withthe teens or grown children...But thinking about it it was the Parents who were the hold backs this last week...The Dad in the team and two teams it was the Mom.....

I don't have children but if I did it would be something I would want to watch with them to discuss things and be entertained at the same time.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

10-06-05, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Amazing Race is fizzling out"
Lets check the rating.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3321 TAR7 second episode ratings was 7.2/11

Oct 4th rating from thefutoncritic.com was 7.2/11

I hereby declare you: 'Blacksmith of the Underworld'--ZombieBaby

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •