The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-02-09, 06:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
LAST EDITED ON 10-02-09 AT 03:17 PM (EST)

So with that in mind, I have directly observed that:

* He's willfully ignorant and has convinced himself that whatever he falsely believes is the one and only truth, with no interest in learning anything else because he knows all there is worth knowing.

* He's incapable of admitting wrongdoing, even when doing so might save him.

* He has no respect for anyone who isn't exactly like him in thought, appearance, background, and deed.

* He's only capable of attacking in an environment when he's either totally protected from physical retaliation or he gets to strike from behind.

* He diverts his efforts when confronted with someone of equal or greater strength, but cannot bear to stop.

* He sees exactly what he wants to see and does not understand how any sensible person could not share that view.

* He throws terms around as a means of placing people in corners they will never escape from.

* He's stupid.

* He's trash.

* He's white.

Given all that, how should we label him? (You can leave out 'nature's perfect radio call-in show listener.' I think that can be assumed.)

'Sissy' might be a good start. But as with at least one other in this idiot cast, I'd like to begin with 'Coward'. And the next word which would precede that in a sentence is also six letters -- starts with R -- are you with me, Ben? -- ends in 'ist'... the remaining two letters are 'a' and 'c' in that order, let me know if I'm going too fast for you, Ben, because we can stop while everyone who is not like you makes another, much more blunt attempt to fill you in on reality at any time. (Knuckles are generally blunted.)

Ask yourself what Burnett's goal was in casting Ben. I know what's going to come from it: sex. Lots and lots of sex. Ben lives in a protected environment where if anyone dares to disagree with him, he's got majority for backup. Think of all the women who'll want to comfort him after he suffered at the hands of those stupid California libruls. Ben is going to breed. Frequently. And not pay child support afterwards.

Poor Jaison. He had to live with that thing, and know every erudite word (to borrow Slicey's term and punchline) was not only being ignored in favor of Ben's diploma from The University Of What Some Guy Said, but 'erudite' was taken as a non-white term which was being used with improper grammar.

Poor Webby. He has to interview it.

ETA: I know it's a second Ben thread, but I think last night's TC warrants one.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 The sounds of happy blindness. Estee 10-02-09 1
 RE: Ben likes to label people based... more_cowbell 10-02-09 2
   RE: Ben likes to label people based... Estee 10-02-09 3
       RE: Ben likes to label people based... more_cowbell 10-02-09 5
 And just in time for the Christmas ... Sunny_Bunny 10-02-09 4
 RE: Ben likes to label people based... Belle Book 10-02-09 6
 RE: Ben likes to label people based... iltarion 10-03-09 7
   RE: Ben likes to label people based... Estee 10-03-09 8
       RE: Ben likes to label people based... Belle Book 10-03-09 9
   RE: Ben likes to label people based... more_cowbell 10-06-09 10
       RE: Ben likes to label people based... LFJ 10-06-09 11
           RE: Ben likes to label people based... more_cowbell 10-07-09 15
               Borrowed from Captain Savem. Estee 10-07-09 16
   RE: Ben likes to label people based... dabo 10-06-09 12
       RE: Ben likes to label people based... LFJ 10-06-09 13
           RE: Ben likes to label people based... dabo 10-06-09 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

10-02-09, 07:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "The sounds of happy blindness."
From the Samoa Insider transcript: the version of Ben's final words and day-after confessional the producers decided to show.

'Ben's Final Words

Ben takes a bitter stance towards his tribemates after being unanimously voted out

"Well, I think it's pretty funny that I'm going home. I think everybody's going to starve, I don't think you guys will be able to get the fire started, which I think is funny. I think it's even funnier that it's raining, you guys are going to be wet, and you guys need to take a lesson and learn how to be assertive, directly come at people, because I think you're all kind of a bunch of sissies."

(cut)

"I don't have any regrets. I had a good time. I was the hardest working guy at camp. Everybody knew that. They'll miss me when I'm gone. It'll be one of those things. Hindsight's 20/20. I'm not worried about it. I'm glad I'm getting a nice, dry sleep tonight."

(cut)

"I think the tribe's a bunch of sissies. Everybody except Russell."

Ben the Day After

Ben reflects on his eight days in the game, and defends his abrasive attitude

"Yeah, I'm proud of myself. I think I was the hardest worker in camp, for the time I was there. I knew what I was doing outdoors. I never felt like I was struggling by any means. I did hurt my knee in the second challenge, I didn't ##### about it or let anybody know about it. I was proud of myself. I don't think I'm the little junior high girl who plays the social game like that. I think that was my downfall. As far as what I came out here, I had a good time."

(cut)

"The social aspect was harder because everybody here is so sensitive, they're not themselves. I was very brutally honest with everybody. People can't handle that. They don't want to hear about themselves. They don't want to hear the truth, because the truth hurts. I'm here to hurt you because I'm gonna tell you the truth. (laughs)"

(cut)

"My tribe was a bunch of sissies. I got along with Russell, Russell was cool. He was playing the game, he was playing the social thing. He was actually a hard worker. A lot of people were lazy. Jaison was lazy. Ashley was lazy. It got to the point where everybody was playing a junior high school like backstabbing game."

(cut)

"If I saw Jaison I probably wouldn't say much to him. He's lazy. He's not somebody I'd be friends with outside of Survivor. I wasn't friends with him here. I have no use for Jaison. He should go be a lawyer or do whatever he does. I don't think he'd be a very good one because his arguments don't hold any water."

(cut)

"I think I'm a little misinterpreted. I think the people out here are way too sensitive. They're not ready for somebody as raw as me. That's fine. I'm not worried. I really don't care what people think about me. That's the way I live my life and it works for me."

(cut)

"I think if I played the game again, I wouldn't bust my ##### like I did the first time. That basically set everybody else up. I would definitely relax while I'm out there, take it easy, let everybody else do some work for once. I worked really hard, harder than anybody out there on my tribe, and I set them up to have a nice shelter that they got to stay in for a few more days."

(cut)

"I actually thought it was kind of funny when I got my torch snuffed. It made me laugh because I knew they were going to suffer without me. Their firemaking skills, their water. They took me for granted and it made me laugh on the inside, like ha ha, now you people get to see what it's like without me."

(cut)

"I think a lot of these people don't like themselves and don't know themselves. They're like, 'Oh, I learned so much about myself!,' and I'm like what, you learned you're a little whiny baby and you can't handle things? To me I never struggled out there at all. In the challenges, a few little mess-ups, but in the survival part of the game, absolutely not. That was my strong point. The social thing, I've got enough friends. (laughs)"'

Friends who are exactly like him in every way.

more_cowbell 60 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-02-09, 11:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail more_cowbell Click to send private message to more_cowbell Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
This is what drives me NUTS about people like Ben. They don't think they're racist because they're just "telling it like it is".

"But black people ARE lazy and eat watermelon!" they'll say. "They live in ghettos and act trashy! I'm just making an observation! You're the one who's racist for bringing it up!" (At least they recognize that racism = bad, but the cognitive gymnastics they go through to "prove" they're NOT racist will make your head spin. Wouldn't it be easier to just...not be racist?)

There's something very childish about the way the Bens of the world dismiss manners, consideration, and sensitivity towards others as "PC". They make a virtue out of being too lazy and stupid to behave decently, and think it's somehow more honest to blurt out every unfiltered insult and bit of narcissistic drivel yurped up by the reptilian brain. Ben likes to boast about being "raw" and a truth-teller that all those wilting lilies and sissies just can't handle. In actuality, he's a child who refuses to brush his teeth, and doesn't see why the grownups should make him do anything he doesn't want to do.

And, like every bully, he preys on the weak. Good for Jaison for calling him out on that at TC.

10-02-09, 11:32 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
Wouldn't it be easier to just...not be racist?

No, because racism is in large part the process of granting yourself a superiority you don't actually have. For Ben, equal treatment means lowering himself to someone else's standards. Not going to happen for him -- or most of the other people who follow that belief system.

10-02-09, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail more_cowbell Click to send private message to more_cowbell Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
Yes, but it seems like an awful lot of energy wasted on cognitive dissonance, for someone who doesn't have a lot going on upstairs to begin with. I guess that's why people like Ben surround themselves with similarly ignorant people and take refuge in fringe news media, talk radio, think tanks, and schools, so they don't have to constantly work so hard to maintain the illusion of white male privilege. Beating back reality gets exhausting when people like Jaison keep proving you wrong.

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-09, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "And just in time for the Christmas season..."
Ben will be promoting all that peace and good will at the reunion show.

Won't THAT be a hoot.

Peace on earth, as long as you think like me, look like me, admit how superior my thinking is over yours, and don't ever try to "talk me down" off my self-erected pedestal.

Belle Book 3613 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-02-09, 05:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
Besides being a racist, I'd call him a complete, total idiot.

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

10-03-09, 04:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
Ben was/is a complete @ss-clown.
That being said, I find the hypocrisy of this thread hilarious. Let's act like Ben and label him based off assumptions... ie. stereotypes. Then, like him, we can make ourselves feel better by demonizing someone else.
I'll pass.

>

10-03-09, 04:49 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
You want me to feel bad about calling out a bigot?

...right. Good luck with that.

Belle Book 3613 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-03-09, 08:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
*You want me to feel bad about calling out a bigot?
...right. Good luck with that.*

I won't feel bad about calling out a bigot either! In fact, I'd be all too happy to call out a bigot! I might not call RussHell out right away -- he can get me voted out -- but Ben's fair game!

10-06-09, 11:30 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
Sorry, but you can't place calling out bad behavior on the same level morally as the bad behavior. That's a false equivalency.

LFJ 363 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

10-06-09, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LFJ Click to send private message to LFJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
Worse than Ben's bullying, IMHO, was Jaison's obvious manipulation of the situation and pulling the "race card" out of his trick bag. Shame on him. Ben was guilty of pure, unadulterated ignorance. Why would anyone even bother, except to take advantage of a situation to further themselves? And, OK. That is, in part, what the game is about, but...Some people will sink to the bottom and start digging a hole, and Jaison did when he delivered the opening lines of his "historically" soliloqy (sp?). I can't stand the little sniveler and am looking forward to him getting knocked off his high, high horse. I'll bet RussH was laughing his a$$ off.

10-07-09, 10:03 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
Ah, the "race card card"...always good for muddying the waters, deflecting attention away from bad behavior, and silencing the victim. It's akin to stomping on someone's foot, and then telling them "Quit playing the hurt card."

Intentional or not, Ben's remarks were racist. He could have simply called Yasmin "trash" and left it at that, but he had to qualify it with "ghetto" - a term that, in the US, is racially loaded and generally understood to signify a certain black stereotype. Then he went on to say Yasmin smelled bad, was uneducated, one step away from being a hooker, and ate ketchup sandwiches and koolaid. Racism isn't about hating someone for the color of their skin. It's about the need to feel superior and keep minorities in their place, socioeconomically. Ben's contemptuous remarks, and the fact that he immediately went there rather than engage Yasmin in honest debate, reveal a lot about his mindset. From what Marissa and Betsy said in their exit interviews, what we saw was just the tip of the iceberg. Jaison was 100% correct to hold Ben accountable for it.

It's appalling, the number of people on the EW blogs who came out in defense of Ben and calling Jaison "whiny", "wussy", and a "community organizer" (wtf?!) Some people can't stand seeing a black guy come out on top.

10-07-09, 10:25 AM (EST)
16. "Borrowed from Captain Savem."
He used to say he held this bad boy back for emergencies.

If I remember the rules right, it beats anything lower than a deuce.

So communities containing nothing but racists are no longer allowed to organize? Progress!

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-06-09, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
LAST EDITED ON 10-07-09 AT 00:01 AM (EST)

Heh! One of the things that still amazes me is when people do these shows they don't realize how their actions on the show make impressions which are difficult to correct once they are off the show.

Take Jerri from the Outback. She jumped at the chance to be on the show in order to boost her acting career. Instead she came off as pushy and difficult to live with and even when she did All-Stars and tried to present herself as Zen Jerri she couldn't shake the impression people had of her from Outback.

So, okay, people do the show for different reasons, not all of them are really into the game. Coach Ben from S18 went out to divulge in some dragonslayer fantasy adventure only he understood. Self-proclaimed hillbilly Ben showed up this time to make a name for himself as a "bad boy." Because, really, hillbilly background and all, he's just another L.A. wannabe.

On day one he adopted a superior attitude on the basis that he was the one person in Foa Foa, a for-real hillbilly, who knew what he was doing in the wilderness. Fair enough, though that isn't really what the game is about.

He then intentionally set out to be mean and push people's buttons, be the "bad boy" and show off his superiority, make a name for himself. In the end he alienated everyone in Foa Foa except RussHell who enjoyed watching the antics (and maybe Mick, hard to tell), had issues with visitor Yasmin from Galu, and maybe at best just didn't know what to make of visitor Shambo from Galu. He also took a dig at the show itself, directed at Probst, about the "sissy" challenge rules, which are "sissy" because there actually are a few rules, it's not Fight Club.

Basically, he dug his own grave. You really cannot be critical of anyone simply because they are critical of what he did, how he presented himself, his wonderful Ben-ness, on the show.

LFJ 363 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

10-06-09, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LFJ Click to send private message to LFJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
Well said. And part of the point. Jaison has painted a pretty picture of himself, now, hasn't he? I know there is a market for whining, finger-pointing, guilty-of-everything-he-is- criticizing-everyone-else-of lawyers out there somewhere. (Maybe that's redundant?)

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-06-09, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Ben likes to label people based on direct observation."
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." -- Bill Shakespeare (Henry VI)

To be honest, I admire Jaison for standing his ground and forcing the issue. British legal history is the history of argument, they love verbal sparring.

Anyway, Jaison made his argument this time and prevailed. Next time, he's back at square one.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •