The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I'm panicking"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

superstepmom1 211 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-10-03, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"I'm panicking"
Anyone suffer from panic disorder or anxiety disorder? I have panic attacks daily. When I am riding in the car especially. I can't eat out and it's taking a toll on my marriage. Yesterday was my first anniversary and I couldn't go out to eat. We had to stay home.

I have started taking new drug, Lexapro but will it help? Will anything help this? I can't remember what it was like to have a panic free day. The morning routine to work gets harder and harder. I

am building my first home and I can't even take a ride to see the house. I totally freak out. I'm scared. I know I'm not going to die but I am still scared. Does anyone know how I feel? How do you deal with the attacks when they happen? Please help.

not-so-superstepmom

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I'm panicking probably clueless 10-10-03 1
   RE: I'm panicking superstepmom1 10-10-03 3
       RE: I'm panicking ginger 10-10-03 21
 RE: I'm panicking Esbea 10-10-03 2
   Chaged her life? superstepmom1 10-10-03 4
 RE: I'm panicking kiki_k 10-10-03 5
   Kiki superstepmom1 10-10-03 6
 Get a prescription... northernlights 10-10-03 7
   RE: Get a prescription... superstepmom1 10-10-03 9
 RE: I'm panicking Schnookie Palookie 10-10-03 8
   RE: I'm panicking superstepmom1 10-10-03 10
   I'll make room for you Nookie... northernlights 10-10-03 11
       RE: I'll make room for you Nookie..... Schnookie Palookie 10-10-03 13
 RE: I'm panicking chuckles1877 10-10-03 12
 I u Sophie 10-10-03 14
 RE: I'm panicking L82LIFE 10-10-03 15
   RE: I'm panicking superstepmom1 10-10-03 16
       RE: I'm panicking Karmic Dharma 10-10-03 17
           RE: I'm panicking Schnookie Palookie 10-10-03 18
           RE: I'm panicking superstepmom1 10-10-03 19
               RE: I'm panicking OceansAngel16 10-10-03 23
 I used to. Sophie 10-10-03 20
 Anxiety ITTechmom 10-10-03 22
 Hang in there LadyT 10-10-03 24
 Jumping on the bandwagon... Tinkerbell 10-10-03 25
   RE: Jumping on the bandwagon... Sophie 10-11-03 27
 RE: I'm panicking Drive My Car 10-10-03 26
 RE: I'm panicking MandyM 10-11-03 28
   add me to having driving issues moonbaby 10-11-03 30
 RE: I'm panicking ashleybfogg 10-11-03 29
 RE: I'm panicking Chrissy gal 10-12-03 31
 RE: I'm panicking superstepmom1 10-13-03 32

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

probably clueless 5782 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-10-03, 10:30 AM (EST)
1. "RE: I'm panicking"
Seems like posting that was a pretty big step. Although most of the people out there aren’t as warm and witty and intelligent and compassionate as the folks in here, we’re here for ya. Some days will be better then others. Let us know.

*Education: Curses in Librul Arts, Curses in Computer Science, Curses in Accounting*

10-10-03, 10:36 AM (EST)
3. "RE: I'm panicking"
I'm been trying to post that since Monday. I try to not think about it but the more I try to forget, the more it's right there in my face. I feel better knowing that there are people out there with the same issues.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-03, 03:32 PM (EST)
21. "RE: I'm panicking"
Posting was, indeed, a superstep. Wish I could be of more help, but I do wish you the best.

>

Esbea 7377 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-03, 10:32 AM (EST)
2. "RE: I'm panicking"
I have a good friend who takes Paxil. Its changed her life. Give the meds a chance to work, and if you dont feel they are, ask your doc about other options. Chin up SSM, itll get better.

''What really scares me most, more than nukes or cancer, is a person without a sense of humor.''

10-10-03, 10:39 AM (EST)
4. "Chaged her life?"
Really? So I can look forward to the end of this. There will be an end to this? I don't care if I still have them every once in a while but one in the morning, one at lunch, one at the end of lunch....etc is too much for me to handle.

kiki_k 1444 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

10-10-03, 10:45 AM (EST)
5. "RE: I'm panicking"
LAST EDITED ON 10-10-03 AT 10:46 AM (EST)

I suffered from severe panic attacks too, for a long time, and mine sound a lot like yours -- I would especially get them when stuck in traffic. Anyhoo, I got myself on Paxil and I am doing great. No panic attacks at all -- I am back to being the person I was before the panic attacks started -- living my life, working, driving on the interstate! But, in the beginning, I was also taking Xanax (and I still carry Xanax around with me, "just in case"), so talk to your doctor because while you are waiting for yours meds to kick in, you can start getting immediate relief with the Xanax (which is a sedative). I've been where you are, and believe me, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!

compliments of GeorgiaBelle

Beauty Product Queen of the Boards and a fancy girl to boot!

10-10-03, 10:50 AM (EST)
6. "Kiki"
Thanks a bunch Kiki. It gives me a good feeling knowing that you are back to the way you were before. A great feeling. I can't wait to have a panic free day.

Waiting for the light. Thank you again.

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-03, 11:17 AM (EST)
7. "Get a prescription..."
I've only experienced what I think was a panic attack once and it scared the hell out of me so I can imagine difficult this is to deal with. I'm on the Paxil bandwagon. I started taking it a few months ago because of an emotional roller coaster ride I was on due to Grave's Disease. It has made a world of difference for me. I feel like myself again. I was so out of control emotionally that I couldn't even stand myself.

Good luck superstepmom!

I figure if you can be brave enough to post asking for help, I could be brave enough to tell you my story.

10-10-03, 11:36 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Get a prescription..."
I guess whether it'll be what I'm on (Lexapro) or Paxil I can expect good results as soon as the meds kick in.

Congrats on taking the step of sharing. I know it's hard. Depression can really be a hard thing to deal with. I guess we're all not alone on this board.

I appreaciate the hugs and concern. Thank you.

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-03, 11:27 AM (EST)
8. "RE: I'm panicking"
*HUGS* SSM. Poor you sweety. I also suffer anxiety attacks, although not as often as you. I can't even get myself into the car to get to the doctor's to get a prescription. Sounds like you are on the right road though. Give the medicine a chance to kick in. I remember someone here once posting about breathing exercises. Maybe you can find something on the internet about that. When you have an attack, breathing exercises help. Lots of luck to you SSM and don't hesitate to come here to talk with us.

*HUGS* to all you other ladies suffering.

*must get onto the Paxil bandwagon*

10-10-03, 11:39 AM (EST)
10. "RE: I'm panicking"
Thanks to you too Schnookie for the hugs and advice.

I have tried controlled breathing excercises, with no luck. Maybe I am doing it wrong. I finally broke down and ordered a book about dealing with it. I thought I could carry it with me until the meds kick in.

Thanks guys.

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-03, 11:40 AM (EST)
11. "I'll make room for you Nookie..."
>*must get onto the Paxil bandwagon*

A few years ago, my MIL & SIL talked about how they needed these pills to help them through the day. I was someone who didn't believe in taking a pill for *getting through the day* and thought they just needed to suck it up and deal. I didn't understand why they couldn't just do that without the pills.

I've learned that the Lord does indeed work in mysterious ways. Seems like He decided to teach me a little lesson and put me in a situation where I now understood how they felt and just how difficult it could get. I was miserable (off and on ~ could have been much worse) for a couple years before I finally broke down and talked to my doctor about it. You're never too old to learn a lesson.

10-10-03, 11:54 AM (EST)
13. "RE: I'll make room for you Nookie..."
*waves* to NL. Yep, I'm one of those peeps that tries to avoid taking pills. However, I'm starting to feel differently after hearing about how wonderful Paxil can be.

*hugs* to you NL. I'm happy to hear that medication is helping you.

*wants a happy pill now*

chuckles1877 489 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-10-03, 11:41 AM (EST)
12. "RE: I'm panicking"
Oh honey, I soooo feel for you. The first time I had a panic attack I thought I was dying. Mine went away once I was done with school but I know there are lots of meds that can help too. You're a trooper--once you get this under control everything else will be cake!

*big fat hug*

~Chuck Tucker the Trucker~

Sophie 2407 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

10-10-03, 12:13 PM (EST)
14. "I u"
LAST EDITED ON 10-10-03 AT 01:57 PM (EST)

edited to say oops...I'll try that again.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-03, 12:30 PM (EST)
15. "RE: I'm panicking"
I feel for you, SSM. I occasionally have panic attacks, but luckily they're not severe. I'm sorry that yours are affecting your life and hope that the meds work well for you.

My very best friend in the world starting recently taking meds for anxiety. Once they kicked in, she felt 100% better, just like the other posters have said.

We're here if you ever need and ear or shoulder. Good luck.

10-10-03, 01:16 PM (EST)
16. "RE: I'm panicking"
You all have made me feel so much better, especially today, which is harder for me than most days. I was supposed to pick up the s-kids this afternoon so my hubby could help my bro-in-law move and I just can't do it. This caused a rift between my hubby. I hope after hearing that so many people have been helped by the meds, he will bear with me a little longer. He doesn't understand what I am going through and sometimes it's hard to describe to him.

I appreciate everyone's hugs, sometimes a hug can hold the world together.

Karmic Dharma 100 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-10-03, 01:39 PM (EST)
17. "RE: I'm panicking"
A combo of meditation and drug therapy worked for me. The synapses in the brain are misfiring and this gets more deeply ingrained into your physiology the longer it goes on. SSRI's like Paxil and Zoloft help to re-route the signals but can only do so much. You have to change your pattern of thought and find self-calming techniques that train your brain to route those impulses dfferently and fire those synapses more directly. Meditation and inner focus techniques help to accomplish that.

For years I suffered from devastating depression and anxiety. I refused to take drugs because of the "crazy" stigma attached to them and for years the quality of my life was compromised. Once I took control of my own well-being and started positive self-talk and medication the feelings of anxiety subsided.

Good luck.

10-10-03, 01:49 PM (EST)
18. "RE: I'm panicking"
*waves* to Karmic Dharma. Welcome to the boards.

You are right about meditation. I often tell myself to get off my butt and get into some kind of meditation. It makes so much sense that it would help with anxiety issues.

*but first I'll take a happy pill*

10-10-03, 01:59 PM (EST)
19. "RE: I'm panicking"
Meditation? How? I have yoga/pilates book coming to me in mail. That's a form of meditation isn't it?

I have a week coming up where I will be alone at the house (no kids and no hubby) in which I will try to zone in on the cause and try to overcome it.

I love your name, Cosmic Dharma. I watch D&G daily at 5 and 5:30. Sometimes I wish I could be more like the Dharma on TV.

I will be looking into forms of meditation. Thanks for the advice.

OceansAngel16 172 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-10-03, 05:15 PM (EST)
23. "RE: I'm panicking"
Yeah, yoga could be considered a form of meditation, it helps build mind body awareness. Other forms of mediation work too, like just trying to relax your body, maybe with some candles and insence lit, with music that soothes you playing quietly in the background, and you just think positive thoughts, and imagine pushing out and away any negative energies, and bringing in positive energies, such as the love of family and friends

10-10-03, 02:03 PM (EST)
20. "I used to."
I used to have horrible panic attacks...multiple every day. I wouldn't remember most of what happened afterwards but I know that I would get really mean and I hurt a lot of people. Just a few months ago I was put on Celexa (for anxiety and OCD). I know that Paxil works for most people, but it makes me twitch and itchy so I can't take it. Make sure you get a doctor that will try different madications until he finds the right one. Good luck and email me at greenfairy_sophie@hotmail.com if you wanna chat.

ITTechmom 88 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-10-03, 04:34 PM (EST)
22. "Anxiety"
** Hugs, Hugs, and more Hugs** Remember that every superhero has an achilles heel.

My husband took Paxil. I used to take Effexor (road rage issues). My philosophy is "A medicated family is a happy family".

Unfortunately, your husband won't understand unless he has been through an episode himself. You could try to get him to read a book on the many tv, movie, and sports stars that suffer from anxiety. There was also an HBO special called "Panic: A Film About Coping" that is currently available on video.

Here's a great link with a Q&A on this disorder:
http://www.zoloft.com/index.asp?pageid=8&o=7782910|5365132|0#can_affect

LadyT 5567 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-03, 06:20 PM (EST)
24. "Hang in there"
I have been done that road many times. Admitting it and getting help is the first and hardest step. It gets easier I promise. I was on Paxil for a while, but mine became so severe that I started to take Seroquel. If you started it this week, lay low this weekend. It has to take time to get into your system. When I started mine, I started on a Friday because I know my body and I would be all freaky and lightheaded for a couple days.

Good luck! You are headed in the right direction

Tinkerbell 1587 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-10-03, 06:35 PM (EST)
25. "Jumping on the bandwagon..."
Count me in as a Paxil user. It saved my life. Although I didn't have severe panic attacks (probably in actuality only one) it really helped with my depression as well. I truly don't think I would be here (or have a marriage - I'm a newlywed too - August 3, 2002 was our wedding day) if it weren't for Paxil CR...especially this last few months.

*hugs* for everyone.

10-11-03, 01:15 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Jumping on the bandwagon..."
I'm so happy to see you! You need to come visit more often!

*misses Tink*

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-03, 06:44 PM (EST)
26. "RE: I'm panicking"

I am so glad you are facing this and getting help, and that you've seen a Doctor. I know exactly how difficult this is.

I didn't drive for nearly 6 years. It got so bad that I had days I couldn't even open the front door and walk to my own mailbox. It wasn't just driving either, just being in a car or thinking about having to be in a car would absolutely terrify me. I didn't work, my Husband did the grocery shopping and the Banking. I couldn't even take our Child to the Doctor by myself.

It can be crippling, and the longer it goes on the worse it gets.

I am sure if I had seen a Doctor, I wouldn't have suffered as long as I did.

*HUGS* I know you are going to be feeling better soon.

And Welcome Dharma, nice to have you with us also!

p.s. Still don't drive freeways by myself

MandyM 2112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

10-11-03, 09:09 PM (EST)
28. "RE: I'm panicking"
SSM...good for you that you realize you have a problem and are willing to get help for it! I, too, suffer from panic attacks (just with driving, nothing else). Unfortunately, Paxil didn't work for me....and it did such a number on me (weight gain, severe lethargy) that I haven't yet tried another one. I guess what I have done to cope is avoidance! I rarely drive outside my city. I had to today and did okay on the interstate, but only for about half an hour...then I had to turn off and take county roads home and extended my drive time by about 30 minutes, which to me it was way worth it because I knew the roads and felt "comfy".

I suppose I should talk to a doctor, but do any of these drugs have ill effects as far as operating a vehicle? I guess that worries me a bit.....am I gonna be SO relaxed that I don't react appropriately to dangerous situations?

At any rate SSM...good luck to you and please don't feel too badly about not being able to pick the kids up. When your hubby has more information about what a panic attack really is, I hope he will be more empathetic and understand that you literally CAN NOT do some things at certain times. My hub has witnessed my attacks, so he KNOWS I'm not faking and understands that it's seriously debilitating. *Waves to Buggy*

MM Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

10-11-03, 09:45 PM (EST)
30. "add me to having driving issues"
I can't stand highway driving either! The only way I got through a road trip to Graceland was with the help of some samples of Buspar the doctor gave to my mom (shh you know you really shouldn't take someone else's meds). I don't take it regularly but it really helped, and it wasn't one of those meds you need to take for a while for it to help. I took a half a dose to try it out before we left for the trip. It didn't make me floaty or tired. I used it another time when I was going through some rough stuff and it calmed me down without making me feel medicated. Just my two cents on what's out there for anxiety.

Good luck!

ashleybfogg 2367 desperate attention whore postings

10-11-03, 09:36 PM (EST)
29. "RE: I'm panicking"
hi ssm...
i have friends and clients who have used medication successfully, I couldn't. it made me spazzy.( i had a lot of deaths in my fam - i got through it all, or so I thought.. then THAT happened -( some of what you described). Yoga was a lifesaver, and I had relief from the first session - even at parks and rec they had a good teacher. The breathing was just the thing - I could pull over and it would be behind me in about 3 minutes - one day it just never happened again. I do both Yoga and Pilates - and I cannot even imagine all that happening again. It's also good to get to the root of it, even yoga or meds are just treating symptoms - Gestalt works - and faster than traditional therapy. You can nail this! - You are so brave for speaking out here - isn't OT amazing?
good luck, click my email icon if you want contact.
lvoe, ashlet

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

10-12-03, 05:26 AM (EST)
31. "RE: I'm panicking"
Hi SuperStepMom! I guess a lot of us who visit SB regularly have anxiety problems. I am awake in the middle of the night right now because my anxiety problem kicked in and I can't sleep.

I just wanted to second some of what others have said here:

1) Different people find relief from different medications. If Lexapro doesn't work for you be sure to have your doctor prescribe something else. I went through numerous medication to find one that worked, and now after 6 years I will be trying some new ones since mine doesn't seem to be working anymore.

2) Sometimes even when you take a medication that helps, you may still have anxiety attacks. Anti-anxiety medications like Xanax can be helpful to get you past the few that you might encounter. Xanax makes me sleepy, but it only lasts a little while and it helps me through the rough spots (I am currently waiting for it to make it's way into my system).

3) Anything like yoga or meditation is worth trying. The most important thing is to not give up (I have to tell myself that daily!).

4) Take care of yourself. We will all be sending positive thoughts your way!!

Chrissy gal

10-13-03, 08:27 AM (EST)
32. "RE: I'm panicking"
Well, it's Monday and I survived the weekend at home. I finally left the house Sunday. I made it to the grocery store and back without any problems.

I have realized that many of the side effects of the meds are also symptoms of panic attacks. Stomach pains, clammy hands, nausea...so it's helps me deal better. I picked up a book on Yoga, Pilates, Meditation & Stress Relief and have started breathing exercises. I haven't had to try any today but I am ready.

I appreciate everyone's advice and continued support. Thank you OT'ers.

superstepmom again

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •