The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Infant Scare Tactics"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-22-08, 09:18 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Infant Scare Tactics"
Question for you guys....

What is with all the "Chicken Little" scare tactics these days. Don't put baby on stomache, don't put bumpers in crib, don't feed solids until x months, don't feed out of plastic bottles, don't co-sleep, blah blah blah. (It was the same thing while pregnant...don't eat this, don't eat that...)

I'm getting really sick of all the "don'ts" that are preached now. It's amazing that any of us lived to be the ages we are and are producing children ourselves since our parents did all of the above. I'm really starting to think its just a load of bullsh!t spread about for the benefit of the producers of whatever the "remedy" is.

Thoughts?

My future Rockers!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Infant Scare Tactics jbug 04-22-08 1
 RE: Infant Scare Tactics kingfish 04-22-08 2
   RE: Infant Scare Tactics jbug 04-22-08 3
   RE: Infant Scare Tactics Magnolia_Rocker 04-22-08 4
 RE: Infant Scare Tactics byoffer 04-22-08 5
   RE: Infant Scare Tactics Max Headroom 04-22-08 6
       RE: Infant Scare Tactics byoffer 04-22-08 7
           RE: Infant Scare Tactics suzzee 04-22-08 18
 RE: Infant Scare Tactics zombiebaby 04-22-08 8
   RE: Infant Scare Tactics jbug 04-22-08 9
   RE: Infant Scare Tactics Magnolia_Rocker 04-22-08 10
       RE: Infant Scare Tactics PepeLePew13 04-22-08 12
           RE: Infant Scare Tactics Magnolia_Rocker 04-22-08 13
               RE: Infant Scare Tactics PepeLePew13 04-22-08 16
                   RE: Infant Scare Tactics kingfish 04-22-08 19
                       RE: Infant Scare Tactics byoffer 04-22-08 23
                       RE: Infant Scare Tactics PepeLePew13 04-22-08 26
                           RE: Infant Scare Tactics Denalio 04-23-08 31
               RE: Infant Scare Tactics mysticwolf 04-22-08 27
               RE: Infant Scare Tactics frodis 04-22-08 29
   RE: Infant Scare Tactics samboohoo 04-22-08 14
   RE: Infant Scare Tactics Magnolia_Rocker 04-22-08 15
 RE: Infant Scare Tactics samboohoo 04-22-08 11
   RE: Infant Scare Tactics qwertypie 04-22-08 21
   RE: Infant Scare Tactics frodis 04-22-08 30
 RE: Infant Scare Tactics MKitty 04-22-08 17
 RE: Infant Scare Tactics suzzee 04-22-08 20
 RE: Infant Scare Tactics StarryLuna 04-22-08 22
   RE: Infant Scare Tactics Magnolia_Rocker 04-22-08 24
 I know the cure. Estee 04-22-08 25
 RE: Infant Scare Tactics frodis 04-22-08 28

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-22-08, 09:47 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
I agree Magnolia - it's seems a bit much to me too - course I never had any kids so.....
My youngest great neice is 15 months. She did not sleep well except on her stomach - so she slept on her stomach. She started eating baby food early - just about everything that is now said to be 'bad' but that we all lived thru? she has too.

Every day is Spring with Agman

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 09:51 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
I agree, one can over do the kid gloves thing, But there is occasionally advice that does ring true.....

Don't let the baby fall out of the window!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/22/baby.caught.ap/index.html

04-22-08, 09:54 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
That sorta goes with the "don't hold the baby by it's ankles and dangle it out the window" too, don'tcha think?

04-22-08, 09:56 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Wow....why did the mom leave the window open when she put the baby on the bed? An infant that's not moving around much I could see but a 1 year old. Just.Wow. Thank god that postal worker was there.

My future Rockers! Twins Blog

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 11:59 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Don't forget that they say that posting on internet boards is another no-no for new mothers.

I think I read that on some internet forum maintained by new mothers.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 12:52 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Does that apply to old fathers too? If it does, we're both in trouble.

04-22-08, 12:59 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
pffft. As if fathers have any influence on the development of the children. That's women's work. Once we are finished handing out the (chocolate) cigars our work is pretty much done.

I spend all the energy I save from letting my DW do all the parenting sitting and worrying about my DD who turns 12 this week.

I keed, I keed. Well, except for the worrying part!

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 03:03 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
phthththt !

Spring outfit thanks to Sharnina

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 01:04 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Well to be fair some of these are founded in medical research. Especially putting infants to bed on their backs. That has dramatically reduced SIDS.

My advice always was and always will be is to TRUST YOUR GUT. No one knows your baby as well as you. Not a doctor or a well meaning grandparent or another mother with 18 children.

Having said that I did break quite a few of those rules. Never the back sleeping one. But I did give my kids solids rather early, 3 months. I did give them eggs around 6 months. Some food I just kind of knew they were not allergic. I did not give my older 2 peanut butter before 1 1/2(I think the recommendation is 2). Oldest hated it, second loved it. He has a sandwhich everyday and he is 4 1/2 now. With #3 she was exposed to peanut butter all the time with him. She has been eating a half a sandwhich almost everyday. I do not however recommend this.

One rule not to be broken is the car and booster seats.
I have not been paying attention...what is with baby bottles?

One more of J
Slice's Awesome Creations!

04-22-08, 01:23 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
The baby bottle thing has something to do with danger in the plastic

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20030331/danger-in-plastic-baby-bottles

Being a baby yourself, how do you not know this?

04-22-08, 01:24 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Apparently they are saying that BPA (Bisphenol-A) found in plastics are leeching out into the liquids they are containing. So now they are telling all mothers to throw away their bottles and either go with glass or the "new" BPA free bottles (which are more expensive, huge surprise there). What they fail to say is that you have to heat the plastics 212+ degrees for 30 minutes or more for this chemical to leech out. Who does that??

My future Rockers!

PepeLePew13 26140 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 01:28 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Actually, the sources I used in class yesterday indicated that repeated pours of boiling water into bottles containing BPA was causing the chemical to leech into the food. The boiling water isn't 212 degrees and it's not there for thirty minutes.

The biggest danger of BPA, though, is from the repeated microwaving of food using plastic materials. The best recommendation is to pour out any food stored in plastics onto a glass plate or bowl then to microwave it.

I don't have the links immediately available as the bookmark links are left on my puter at work (I'm not in today).

04-22-08, 01:33 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Ok. I'll go with that. But why would you have boiling water repeatedly poured into baby bottles? When you sterilize you sterilize the nipples, not the bottles themselves. My bottles get washed by hand in the sink with soap. The water is nowhere near boiling temperature or else I couldn't stick my hand in to wash them. We also don't microwave our bottles.

My future Rockers!

04-22-08, 01:52 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Usually, it's very hot water that is used to make the baby formula and it's poured into the baby bottles ahead of time to be put into the refrigerator and used for the rest of the day.

Note, I'm not referring to those bottles where plastic linings are used and then tossed out.

Pene and I usually put the baby bottles into the dishwasher on the top rack as at the time it was considered to be OK - the water is usually pretty hot in there.

In relation to the original topic of this thread... yes, I think there are a lot of scare tactics - we're doing a lot of the same things as our parents did, and we turned out pretty well and, in fact, many of us have a better quality of life than our parents did, just like I believe many of our children will have better quality of lives than we do now (even if half of the world is going to hell in a handbasket).

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 03:11 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
If microwaving stuff in plastic containers is bad for Babies, what about for us? Is that why I'm so irritatingly (fill in the blank)?

04-22-08, 04:56 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
My DW says you should never microwave items in plastic. First off the plastic can get stained and wrecked (go ahead and heat pasta sauce in your DW's tupperwear and see what trouble you get in). But more importantly it is because of the release of bad stuff from the plastic.

04-22-08, 06:32 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
LAST EDITED ON 04-22-08 AT 06:44 PM (EST)

The difference is that the proportion of the BPA leeching into food is much greater to the weight of small baby (i.e. 8-15 lbs) as compared to the proportion to the weight of an adult (i.e. 150-200 lbs).

Also... BPAs are typically found in hard plastic containers such as baby bottles and refillable drink containers that hikers and athletes use -- the plastic that many people microwave with are not the category that BPAs are found in.

If you look at the bottom of many plastic containers, you'll see a symbol that looks like a recycling triangle with a number inside. The number 7 is the one that has BPAs, while most food storage containers are anywhere from 1 to 6 which has not been identified as having BPAs...yet.

Denalio 904 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-23-08, 02:37 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Just reading along and had to post a big "Thank You" and an official "*Smooch* of Appreciation" to Pepe. This little exchange is one of the MANY reasons I LOVE this place. Well worth the price of admission, the stuff I learn here (especially the explanations which augment what I learn from the news)!

Peeps here iz smaht and teeches me lotsa kewl stuffs!

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 06:50 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Two additional considerations dh just raised.

1) Some peeps are trying to save money and are hanging onto the baby bottles from child #1 and still using them for children #3 & 4. As the plastic ages the chemicals become less stable and the years of repeated hot temps cause more of them to leech out.

2) Peeps also leave bottles in cars where heat can build up pretty quickly in the summer. Not just baby bottles, but adult type #1 plastic (the BPA bottles are #7's) water bottles. I'm guilty of that, and it's also supposed to be bad for you in that the chemicals begin to leech.

A smokeysmom
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." - Baba Dioum

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-22-08, 10:41 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Bad Mom Confession:

At some checkup (4 months?) my daughter's doctor told me that it was now okay to stop sterilizing bottles. I nodded, but the little voice inside my head said "Uh. I was supposed to be sterilizing the bottles?"

I sterilized them before using them the first time, but that was it. So. Yeah.

Fortunately, for me, we didn't use bottles very often, so I just brushed it under the rug, the first of many "I'm supposed to do what?" mistakes.

Sweet Springy Shar Sig!

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 01:37 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
We never gave Conner peanuts or peanut butter, just because I was always told not to before age 2. We discovered through the allergy testing for other things that he did have a minor peanut allergy, which he has since outgrown. The first time Michael gave him hazelnut cream cheese, I freaked. Then he was okay. But to this day he refuses to eat peanut butter.

I have another friend whose son should have no peanut butter and should drink rice milk. He eats peanut butter all the time, and never drinks rice milk. He has horrible excema.

Tribe is pushing up my daisies!

04-22-08, 01:44 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
I agree with no peanuts/peanut butter until 2 years because a lot of kids have allergies to peanuts. That's been around forever and its a proven fact. I have no problem with that.

The back-to-sleep campaign.... Let me start by saying that both my girls have always been back sleepers so I'm not trying to defend a personal position here BUT the reason SIDS is down is not completely due to back sleeping. The reason SIDS is down is because research is more advanced now and baby deaths are being diagnosed with a problem and not just claimed as "SIDS". Back in the day they didn't do autopsies on infants to discover cause of death they just marked it as SIDS. The back sleeping supporters are just taking credit for the drop in numbers.

My future Rockers!

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 01:25 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
I don't know that they are designed to be true "scare tactics." I think that we are benefits of a lot of history and research that just wasn't available back when we were babies. And as time has changed, as our environment has changed, as our lives in general have changed, advice and recommendations have changed.

Before my son was born, I had never heard of a nebulizer. Now, 9 out of every 10 children I know have had to use a nebulizer in their lives. We live in a world of convenience, a world of technology, a world of chemistry, pollutants, a wider and bigger world of exposure.

Interestingly, the campaign that really bugs the heck out of me is the whole "breast is best" campaign. I call them the breastfeeding nazis. I tried it, it didn't work. It's only best if it works. Out of four of us (me and three friends), I breasfed for 3 weeks. Two did it past one year. And one for about six months. While my child was sick a lot during his first two years, he is much healthier than the other children now. (And I attribute him being sick more to him being a preemie than me not breastfeeding). My son is developmentally ahead by a lot than the other three. I won't say I have a closer bond with my child than they do, but I know that I have a very strong bond with my son.

I think there have been studies to show how some of these "don'ts" really are better. I believe there has been a signifcan't drop in SIDS deaths after the "back to sleep" campaign came into play. I can understand the extra crib fluff and, based on my own sleeping habits, I never felt comfortable co-sleeping.

I don't always agree with my doctor, but I have tried to trust them more and put more faith into what they are saying until I have proven that it's a wash.

Tribe is pushing up my daisies!

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 04:02 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
RE: Breast is best

But if you are well endowed, you are also supposed to worry smothering your kid while you nurse. *rolls eyes*

04-22-08, 11:06 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
I agree - what's best is what works for you and your child. Every kid is different, and every mom is different, and every situation is different.

Are you keeping your child safe? Are you feeding your child healthy food? Are you paying attention to your child and do you know what he or she likes, dislikes, needs and wants? That's what's important.

A stressed out, guilty and insecure mom is FAR worse for a kid than formula.

Sweet Springy Shar Sig!

Personally, I'm happy to enthusiastically discuss and recommend breast feeding because it does work well for us, but I know that my opinion is just one opinion, based on my own limited experience. I try hard not to be one of those militant breastfeeders.

MKitty 2976 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-22-08, 02:31 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
LAST EDITED ON 04-22-08 AT 02:33 PM (EST)

I totally agree with you MR. My son is the healthiest kid I know. NEVER sick...NO allergies, and I broke many, many rules.

He slept on his tummy or his side. Always. Was the only way he could get to sleep. Yes, I had him on a firm mattress with no excessive pillows and such to suffocate on..but that is the way he would happily go to sleep. When he was really wee, I used to gently bounce the mattress to get him to sleep..and encouraged him to "self sooth" by helping him find his thumb. He was sleeping through the night at 9 weeks.

Then, when he was about 4 months old, I started feeding him solids. By solids I do not mean steak, but the usual rice cereal, pablum, etc.. He LOVED it. I don't think my milk was enough to sustain him, so I started topping him up with formula before he went to bed and that also helped him get through the night (ie, about 6 hours) before needing to be fed again.

Again, he was the only kid I knew that never had ear infections, no allergies, always healthy, and I breast fed, topped with formula and started him on solids early..but weaned him from teh breast at 6 months because I was going back to work. Again..healthiest kid I know. I got flack for not breastfeeding him for a year as suggested, but I didn't see how I could do that and work all day. Did I mention he is the healthiest kid I know? So...yes, I broke a lot of the rules and did what I knew was best for him.

Good luck!!

*Viced by Agman*

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 03:12 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Here's my 2 cents:

Usually the first kid gets all the precautions, the second gets food the first one drops on the floor.

Who sterilized bottles past the first few days?

I've heard that by the time kids are two, they've eaten their weight in dirt.

I can see being cautious with food allergies if their is a family history of allergies.

I believe in letting kids get dirty, in eating as healthful as you can, keeping sugar and salt to a minimum, giving kids water when they are thirsty, feeding them a variety of foods as soon as they can handle food(my kids ate frozen peas and thought they were candy for a long time), using antibiotics sparingly, and using common sense constantly.

Spring outfit thanks to Sharnina

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-22-08, 04:29 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Heh. My mother fed me and my sister both a few spoonfuls of cereal the night we came home from the hospital. Guess who slept through the night right away?

Place witty comment here.

04-22-08, 05:07 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
Same here! My mom started putting cereal in my bottle at 3 days old. She said the liquids just didn't do it for me.

My future Rockers!

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 05:31 PM (EST)
25. "I know the cure."
Don't get pregnant.

04-22-08, 10:34 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Infant Scare Tactics"
As if it weren't nerve-wracking enough to be a new mom, and as if you didn't have enough to worry about not knowing if you'll be "good at it" there is an overwhelming list of "don'ts" out there, some of which contradict each other! I think it's all a scam by the book industry to make us buy all of those books about how to be a mom.

Some of it comes from scentific study, some is anecdotal, and some is from well-meaning people who know how it should be done because that's how they did it, or how their mother did it, or they saw it on Oprah.

The bottom line is that you know your kid(s). I think you have to pick your battles with what you worry about. It's not like it all ends with infancy - there's more to worry about as they grow up. Wait till they start walking around and finding every sharp corner to bump into, and wait til they find a bug and decide it might be tasty.

My personal rule is to just trust myself and my judgement. I keep tabs on what's what on the "don'ts" list, but I don't make myself crazy about it. There's enough to be crazy about.

Sweet Springy Shar Sig!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •