The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-15-04, 09:37 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
LAST EDITED ON 07-15-04 AT 09:38 AM (EST)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/15/politics/campaign/15vice.html

POLITICAL MEMO
Hear the Rumor on Cheney? Capital Buzzes, Denials Aside
By ELISABETH BUMILLER

Published: July 15, 2004

WASHINGTON, July 14 - In the annals of Washington conspiracy theories, the latest one, about Vice President Dick Cheney's future on the Republican ticket, is as ingenious as it is far-fetched. But that has not stopped it from racing through Republican and Democratic circles like the latest low-carb diet.

The newest theory - advanced privately by prominent Democrats, including members of Congress - holds that Mr. Cheney recently dismissed his personal doctor so that he could see a new one, who will conveniently tell him in August that his heart problems make him unfit to run with Mr. Bush. The dismissed physician, Dr. Gary Malakoff, who four years ago declared that Mr. Cheney was "up to the task of the most sensitive public office" despite a history of heart disease, was dropped from Mr. Cheney's medical team because of an addiction to prescription drugs.

"I don't know where they get all these conspiracy theories," said Matthew Dowd, the Bush campaign's chief strategist, who has heard them all. "It's inside-the-Beltway coffee talk, is all it is."

It may be inside the Beltway, but in recent days the Washington summer clamor about dropping Mr. Cheney has so greatly intensified that Mr. Cheney himself was forced to address it on Wednesday. Asked in a C-Span interview if he could envision any circumstances under which he would step aside, Mr. Cheney replied: "Well, no, I can't. If I thought that were appropriate, I certainly would."

In the interview, to be broadcast Sunday, Mr. Cheney also said that Mr. Bush "has made very clear he doesn't want to break up the team," but that chatter of his stepping down was to be expected.

"I suppose right now, because we're in the run-up to the convention, people don't have much to talk about so you get speculation on that," he said. "It's normal. When we get to the convention, I think that'll put an end to that." Who would replace Mr. Cheney has nonetheless became a favorite Washington guessing game, with the names of Secretary of State Colin L. Powell and Senator John McCain of Arizona whispered about the most. Never mind that neither has a particularly cordial relationship with Mr. Bush, and that neither has expressed interest in the job. Other names that keep popping up include Condoleezza Rice, the national security adviser, and Bill Frist, the Senate majority leader.

There is also something of an under-the-radar campaign among Republicans promoting their friends for a job that may never come open. As an example, boosters of Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former mayor of New York, have long tried to toss his name in the mix, despite the fact that friends of the president say he would never pick Mr. Giuliani.

The rumblings about Mr. Cheney are similar to those that plagued Vice President Dan Quayle in 1992, when Secretary of State James A. Baker III led efforts to push Mr. Quayle off the ticket. But the reasons are different.

Mr. Quayle was seen as a bumbler who could not spell "potato," making him an easy target for Bill Clinton's campaign. Mr. Cheney, who has suffered four heart attacks, has faced persistent questions about his powerful role in promoting the war in Iraq and insisting that Saddam Hussein had unconventional weapons.

But like Mr. Quayle, Mr. Cheney suffers from low approval ratings. Last month, a New York Times/CBS News poll found that 21 percent of voters had a favorable impression of Mr. Cheney, compared with 39 percent for Mr. Bush.

Democrats, as part of their campaign to discredit the competition, are energetically promoting the idea that Mr. Cheney is a drag on the ticket. But none of them are suggesting that Mr. Bush should drop him.

"He has come to be a polarizing figure who repels voters," said Tad Devine, a senior adviser to Senator John Kerry. But asked if that did not make Mr. Cheney a dream candidate to run against, Mr. Devine demurred. "I'm not going to lob one in that direction," he said. "I don't want to be the Kerry guy who says 'We want Cheney.' "

Republicans close to the Bush campaign say that the Democrats are using Mr. Cheney as a powerful way to attack Mr. Bush and undermine the White House. "When the Democrats attacked Dan Quayle, it didn't matter a lot," said Vin Weber, a former congressman who is the Bush campaign's chairman for the upper Midwest. "Nobody thought Dan Quayle was the president's most trusted adviser, with broad responsibilities. But Democrats understand that when you go after this vice president, you really go after the administration.''

But even some Republicans are now questioning whether Mr. Cheney should stay on the ticket. As one House Republican said, conspiratorially, outside the House chamber this week, "Watch Cheney." Another Republican member of Congress said that Mr. Cheney was increasingly viewed as a political liability.

"I don't think you fix the problem by changing the No. 2 horse, but Bush is facing so much heavy baggage going into November, he's going to have to throw some of that baggage off," said the Republican, who insisted on anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

One recent contribution to the buzz about Mr. Cheney came Tuesday in a column by Charlie Cook, the editor of the nonpartisan Cook Political Report. "Stipulating that dumping a totally loyal, integral part of his inner circle is something that is absolutely not in George W. Bush's DNA, losing with plenty of notice does not appear to be part of his genetic makeup either," Mr. Cook wrote. He concluded that in an election year as close as this one, "the president badly needs something to shake this race up, and I can think of just one thing. Cheney may need to watch his back."

Mr. Cook's column came less than a week after Alfonse M. D'Amato, the once-influential Republican senator from New York, said on the cable station NY1 that Mr. Bush should replace Mr. Cheney with Mr. Powell or Mr. McCain. Mr. D'Amato's motives have stirred speculation among New Yorkers, although some who know him well said that getting attention might have been primary among them. An assistant in Mr. D'Amato's office said Wednesday that he would have no further comment on the matter.

Representative Peter T. King, Republican of New York, said that Mr. D'Amato's comments had not thrown the White House into any evident frenzy. As Mr. King recounted it, he was recently at the White House with another member of Congress and had a brief conversation with Mr. Bush. The other member of Congress mentioned Mr. D'Amato's comments to Mr. Bush, Mr. King said, and Mr. Bush laughed.

"He didn't seem concerned or angry," Mr. King said. "And then I said that Al is getting married on Sunday and he's got other things on his mind." Mr. Bush responded, Mr. King said, by saying, "Tell him the president wishes him well on his wedding day."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? PepeLePew13 07-15-04 1
   RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? PagongRatEater 07-15-04 3
 who's the short list? PagongRatEater 07-15-04 2
   RE: who's the short list? RudyRules 07-15-04 6
 RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? seahorse 07-15-04 4
 RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? blacknwhitedog 07-15-04 5
   RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? Skiver 07-15-04 25
   RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? AZ_Leo 07-16-04 36
 RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? sittem 07-15-04 7
   RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? RudyRules 07-15-04 34
 RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? SurvivaBear 07-15-04 8
   Rudy blacknwhitedog 07-15-04 9
   RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? PagongRatEater 07-15-04 12
   RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? cqvenus 07-15-04 26
 RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? true 07-15-04 10
   RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? Drive My Car 07-15-04 13
 The Shocking Thing About This Artic... Devious Weasel 07-15-04 11
   RE: The Shocking Thing About This A... ginger 07-15-04 14
       RE: The Shocking Thing About This A... Drive My Car 07-15-04 15
       RE: The Shocking Thing About This A... Devious Weasel 07-15-04 16
           RE: The Shocking Thing About This A... PagongRatEater 07-15-04 17
               RE: The Shocking Thing About This A... bondt007 07-15-04 20
                   RE: The Shocking Thing About This A... Devious Weasel 07-15-04 22
                       RE: The Shocking Thing About This A... nailbone 07-15-04 23
                           RE: The Shocking Thing About This A... Devious Weasel 07-15-04 24
 RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? HobbsofMI 07-15-04 18
   RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? seahorse 07-15-04 19
       RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? HobbsofMI 07-15-04 21
           RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? TechNoir 07-15-04 27
               RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? HobbsofMI 07-15-04 28
 Rumors, rumors AyaK 07-15-04 29
   RE: Rumors, rumors Devious Weasel 07-15-04 30
       RE: Rumors, rumors nailbone 07-15-04 31
       Others? AyaK 07-15-04 32
           RE: Others? bondt007 07-15-04 33
 RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? diamond 07-15-04 35
   RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket? bondt007 07-16-04 37

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 26140 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 09:46 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
I dunno, but Condo makes a lot of sense to me as a running mate with her minority status and being a woman to potentially pull in more votes -- but she seems a little too closely linked to 9/11 that it might work against Bush.

ŠSlice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
"If you're not confused, you're not paying attention." Tom Peters

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 09:54 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
I was thinking the same thing - she might be a liability since she was heavily involved in the pre-9/11 intelligence failures that Kerry will be hammering Bush on. Politically though, it would be a very bold choice, but I'm not sure it helps.

07-15-04, 09:53 AM (EST)
2. "who's the short list?"
Would not bother or surprise me in the least. Cheney has been a great VP (to MY political thinking) but he brings nothing to the ticket this time around. With the events of the past four years, it would be hard to argue that Bush lacks foriegn policy experience any more or needs the alleged gravitas that
Cheney brought to the ticket.

So, who does the GOP look at it Bush makes the smart instead of the loyal choice? My list would be Colin Powell, John McCain or as a dark horse John Kasich from Ohio.

What do you guys think? If Cheney is gone, who will Bush pick? Who SHOULD he pick?

RudyRules 8360 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 10:23 AM (EST)
6. "RE: who's the short list?"
Agree with about everything you said PRE.
Cheney has been a very good Veep and has likely provided more behind the scenes experience from all of his years in Washingon than we will ever know.
For that reason I would hate to see him go. BUT, he probably is a minor liability this tim around.
Should he bow out, I would like to see one of the following:
Jack Kemp (won't do it though)
Condi Rice
Zell Miller (a Georgia dem as VP? why not?)
Nailbone (WAIT, he's mine!)
or others... These would be my top picks at this moment.

It really won't matter though, RR/NB will take it all!

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 09:57 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
I think it is pie in the sky. Cheney is not going anywhere

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 10:04 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
Purely speculation- I would say John McCain- he balances Bush politically.

Colin Powell made a promise to his wife that he would not seek the VP or presidency because she has a great fear that he will be assassinated- she had a dream about it or something.

Condi Rice- not enough experience- yet- but I think she will be on the 2008 ticket

But, I don't think Cheney is going anywhere either.

Skiver 1118 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

07-15-04, 03:23 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
I think after the tactics that GW used against McCain in South Carolina, McCain won't be willing to join GW Bush in anything other than a Confederate flag burning party.

Powell has already indicated that he will be resigning from the Administration next term.

Condi Rice is a joke to all liberals and most moderates after her fixed-smile, slow-speaking, responsibility-shirkin', performence in front of the 911 Commission.

I hope Cheney's not going anywhere, but apparently the change of doctor may be used to issue a new opinion that his health is not up to another term.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

07-16-04, 00:31 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
Please not McCain. I want to keep him as my Senator. He at least makes decisions based on his values and not the party line.

Take our other one, Kyl. He always follows orders and never had an original thought in his head.

Wait....then who would tell Bush what to do? Oh well, never mind.

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-15-04, 10:42 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
I don't believe it, but it would be great! I'm currently undecided regarding the election (none of the above currently is the most appealing with RR a close second) so this could swing my vote.

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

RudyRules 8360 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 11:13 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
LAST EDITED ON 07-15-04 AT 11:14 PM (EST)

A close SECOND!?!
A fine NFL Commissioner you'll make!

Flight plan by RollDdice

SurvivaBear 2634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

07-15-04, 11:19 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
I have heard people throw out Rudy Gulliani as a possibility. I think Cheney will be fine and will not hurt Bush, and I don't think the VP brings much to a ticket anyway. However, I think it makes things rough in '08 and opens the door for Hilliary.

I think Condi or Powell would really make a statement regarding the contemporary Republican party.

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 11:27 AM (EST)
9. "Rudy"
I think Rudy Gulliani for Major League Baseball commissioner. We need Bud Selig out of there!

07-15-04, 11:57 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
Right there with ya Bear. That's what bothered me the most about the Cheney pick 4 years ago. There is no logical sucession for the GOP. 2008 is going to be an ugly one.

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 03:27 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"

i'd vote for hillary-rudy. either for either.

~ cq

-- knows hillary would insist upon being VP to be put into office after rudy was impeached. it would be classier.

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 11:33 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
Moonie started a political thread! Moonie started a political thread! Moonie started a political thread!

*giggles and runs away*

Surely, the sky must be falling.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 12:07 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
Someone stole our Moonie!

Hey True, how's the water over there in the shallow end today?

*splash splash* I dare you to try to poop out your nose

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 11:53 AM (EST)
11. "The Shocking Thing About This Article Is"
"And then I said that Al is getting married on Sunday and he's got other things on his mind."

Someone is willing to marry Al D'Amato?!?!?

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 12:18 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The Shocking Thing About This Article Is"
LAST EDITED ON 07-15-04 AT 12:19 PM (EST)

Hey, I'm sure when he lets down his hair and takes off those glasses, Al's quite a dish.

I've been wondering for months if we'd have a "medical/personal reasons" exit stage right for our Evil Veep (I think it would have a positive impact on Bush's re-election - not sure I am thrilled about that, needless to say). I'm sure ##### will keep those long fingers in the governmental pie, though.

ETA: I did not say anything obscene about the Vice President in that last sentence. I just used his first name.

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 12:23 PM (EST)
15. "RE: The Shocking Thing About This Article Is"
Remember Ginger, you can say twat, but not #####.

07-15-04, 12:29 PM (EST)
16. "RE: The Shocking Thing About This Article Is"
I'd point out the thread last November where people laughed at me because I said this was a possibility, but then you would see how poorly I did at the Democratic Primary PTTE.

At this point, as much as this has been discussed in the press, I don't think the "medical reasons" excuse would fly. Everyone would suspect Cheney left for other reasons. So if he did go, it could end up actually hurting Bush a little. I'm betting nothing short of a criminal indictment (though of course, there have been rumors swirling around that Cheney will be the recipient of one or two of those) will remove him from the ticket.

And I for one would hate to miss the moment in the VP debate when Cheney tells Edwards to "Go ***** yourself"

07-15-04, 12:45 PM (EST)
17. "RE: The Shocking Thing About This Article Is"
Kerry has already prepared his salvo for Bush if this happens - calling him a liar and a flip-flopper if he dumps Cheney after stating so many times that he would keep him. It COULD actually hurt Bush's credibility to make that change - regardless of the flimsy excuse.

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-15-04, 02:12 PM (EST)
20. "RE: The Shocking Thing About This Article Is"

... I don't think anything Kerry says about this would be effective. I also think that this is a fabrication from the NY Times "just in case" it does happen.

07-15-04, 02:57 PM (EST)
22. "RE: The Shocking Thing About This Article Is"
So Al D'Amato is a fabrication of the NY Times? Interesting...

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 03:09 PM (EST)
23. "RE: The Shocking Thing About This Article Is"
I had heard that...

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs. o-

07-15-04, 03:14 PM (EST)
24. "RE: The Shocking Thing About This Article Is"
It would explain a lot.

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 01:10 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
Speaking of rumors....I heard on the radio that Powell is not coming back as S.O.S. because of the way they kept him in the dark and they wanted to go into Iraq no matter what evidence they had.

My name is Hobbs of MI and I approve this message!

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 01:16 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
That would not surprise me.

07-15-04, 02:25 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
Now that I know how little influance he has I'm less likely to vote Bush in the fall.

If Powell ran....hands down I would vote for him.

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 04:21 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
Why would you vote for him? Just curious.

Sig thanks to some cold cat
I believe that he will never run. His wife can barely tolerate him as SoS, and there is a lot of speculation that he has promised her that he will get out of the mess after this term.

07-15-04, 04:27 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
Something in my gut say I could trust the man and believe what he says. Now the UN speech has shaken that but I would still have to listen to what his ideas are but I would vote for him over Kerry right at this second.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 04:38 PM (EST)
29. "Rumors, rumors"
This rates right there with the rumor that the Clintons had Vincent Foster murdered.

Let's see -- Cheney dismissed his personal physician, who was addicted to prescription drugs and lost his license to practice. But he dismissed the guy as a front, so that he could withdraw from the ticket, not because the guy couldn't practice medicine any longer. Right.

What's really going on is an effort by Dems to crack Repub solidarity, just as Repubs have tried to crack Dem solidarity. And so it goes.

07-15-04, 04:43 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Rumors, rumors"
Except for the complication of D'Amato and other Republicans joining in.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 05:30 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Rumors, rumors"
LAST EDITED ON 07-15-04 AT 05:30 PM (EST)

Except that D'Amato is a fabrication, right?

ETA wasn't he Mike Tyson's trainer or somethin'? I thought he died.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs. o-

Damn these politics is confusin'!

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 06:04 PM (EST)
32. "Others?"
>Except for the complication of D'Amato and other Republicans joining in.

If the very discredited Al D'Amato speaks on local-access cable TV, does he make a sound?

(P.S. I should add that there are certain politicians, Dems and Repubs alike, that I've never liked, and that crook D'Amato was one of them. I couldn't believe that NY and NJ had two crooks like D'Amato and Torricelli in the Senate, and I always figured that the Mob must be behind it. Right, Tony S.? )

Anyway, what other Republicans? The "sources" above? Didn't the NY Times say about nine months ago (after Keller came in and Janet Miller's WMD reporting became so controversial) that it wasn't going to rely on quotes from off-the-record sources to build a story unless the story was so pressing that they had to do so?

-- or is it just that they won't rely on unnamed conservative sources, unless, of course, the sources say what the Times writers want to hear?

07-15-04, 07:43 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Others?"

The NY Times historically has a very short memory regarding what they "report" and the the sources that they use, or don't use. People forget the story tellers that were fired or quit due to fabricated sources and stories.

Then again, this thread DID call itself "...Rumors...", so, stories from the NY (and LA) Times fit nicly here! And, in all fairness... lot's of stories from lot's of publications do too -

diamond 2307 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

07-15-04, 11:21 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"
I'd kind of hate to see him go, if only because of the wealth of unintentional comedy he brings to the table. He's become such a caricature that it's almost hard to hate him.

Almost.

07-16-04, 01:05 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Rumor mill: Cheney off ticket?"

Now see? I just don't understand the "hate" part of your post. What is to hate? Do you really know him well enough to hate him? Did he do something to you?

I SO disagree with so many Dems, yet, I don't think I have found one that I hate.

...or were you just mess'n around?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •