The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-29-04, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
We rented "Bully" this weekend. By the same guy who did "Kids" and as disturbing (perhaps more so, as was based on true story). Good cast, unflinching depiction of murder and the group impulse, the fodder of every parent of every teenager's nightmare. Not sure I should recommend because definitely not for everyone, but here I am still thinking about it.

What films disturb you? Do you like the occasional upsetting cinematic experience? I still remember walking out of the theater after watching The Deer Hunter with my friend J. - we were sobbing, I think. Still, I would not have missed the film.

Discuss, suggest, tell me what you thought about "Bully," if you saw it (and, if you did, and saw "Kids", did you recognize the "hit man"?).

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema LozengeofLove 03-29-04 1
 RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema ExInterper 03-29-04 2
   RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema melly 03-29-04 13
 RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema Mizz Eve 03-29-04 3
   RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema ginger 03-29-04 6
 RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema volsfan 03-29-04 4
 RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema AugustGirl 03-29-04 5
   RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema ginger 03-29-04 7
 RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema Lost Scottsman 03-29-04 8
   RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema ginger 03-29-04 9
       RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema ExInterper 03-29-04 10
           RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema Mizz Eve 03-29-04 14
       RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema diamond 03-29-04 12
 RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema deerhunter 03-29-04 11
 RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema Mizz Eve 03-29-04 15
   RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema Silvergirl1 03-30-04 19
 RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema DebCapsFan 03-29-04 16
   OMH Mon Cherie 03-29-04 17
 RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema Chrissy gal 03-30-04 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

LozengeofLove 1060 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-29-04, 06:22 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
Is this the story about the group of kids in Florida?
I haven't seen the movie, but read the book when I was fifteen. It scared the sh!t out of me.

ExInterper 3093 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-29-04, 06:22 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
First time I ever saw American History X, I had a hard time sleeping. Between the curb scene, the prison scene and the store scene...brrr.

Arlington Road gave me chills first time I saw it too.

Yet another Jslice masterpiece!
"If there's one thing that I learned while waiting for my turn,
Is that in each life some rain falls, but you also get some sun." -- John Popper

melly 90 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-29-04, 07:33 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
American History X still gives me chills if I think about it...but what a GREAT (and disturbing) movie.

Mizz Eve 368 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-29-04, 06:23 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
I saw Bully a few years ago. It's based on a sensationalized pulp paperback of the same name. I felt that the film was disturbing in the sense that it was extremely graphic. As I said, I haven't seen the film for sometime, but I remember not being impressed from a filmmaking standpoint.

03-29-04, 06:34 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
Yes, it's the Florida murder movie.

I liked the way murder was messy and bumbling, not smooth and hip and stylized. Much as I love me some Sopranos, you do kind of get the impression that it's groovy to wack people.

I liked the way we didn't see the parents as the ultimate cause (of course, I'm a parent, so I'm biased there).
I liked the way the gang immediately fell apart arguing over whose blows actually killed the bully, and how they couldn't resist telling people, leading to their capture.

I also liked the question raised about evil - if you kill someone evil, are you not just as, if not more, evil? That type of thing.

Anyway, it was not a magnificent film, but I felt it worth viewing. And like I said, I keep thinking about it.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-04, 06:31 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
I am not one to get distrubed about much...however, there have been a couple of movies that just make me say...now that is f'ed up!

I must say that I did have a couple of dreams about the curb scene in American History X! That still makes me cringe just to think about!

Also, last week, I went to see Dreamers. Have any of you seen it? I walked out of the theatre thinking WTF was that! Very strange movie!

Director of Public Relations for GAWKUR!

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-04, 06:33 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
I was so disturbed by the trailers for Gigli that I can't even bring myself to go into the video store to rent it, much less watch it.

I imagine those who did pay money to watch it walked out of the theater sobbing too.

Bennifer ..... *shudder*

03-29-04, 06:34 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"

Well, there's deeply disturbing, and then there's Just Plain Nauseating.

Lost Scottsman 407 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-29-04, 06:37 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
I haven't seen the flick you are referring to. The DW and I have an extensive movie collection and tend to be content with those.

We do have copies of Seven and 8MM both of which are pretty disturbing content. If I had seen them in the theater rether than just buying them I don't think I would have spent the money. However with the sky rocketing price of theater these days it was cheaper to just by the video.

03-29-04, 06:43 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
Now, Se7en I loved. Disturbing and grotesque, but terrific nonetheless (although now every other urban suspense film has to begin with black and white, choppily edited, Nine Inch Nails-influenced credits).

8MM, on the other hand, seemed a gratuitous nasty waste of time to me. Even BF hated it, and he loves nasty gratuitous things (like me).

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Hell, yes, that was disturbing. But I thought the main guy's performance was astounding and the film was okay.

On the other hand, Dog Bites Man. I admit I laughed at one little bit, and the film was somehow intended to be darkly comedic, but I found the "disturbing" factor outweighed everything else. Won't be watching that one again soon.

Natural Born Killers. Everyone loved this one. I didn't mind the violence (although the Rodney Dangerfield scenes bothered me because I really do like Rodney), and the cast was good, but I thought the film got lost in Oliver's love of his own editing gimmicks.

How bout Psycho? Can you imagine going to that when it came out, before everyone knew about the shower scene, and witnessing the heroine being slashed to death, nekkid, in the first third of the movie? I'll bet that was deeply, powerfully disturbing.

ExInterper 3093 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-04, 06:45 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
LOVE Psycho. But then, I'm a Hitchcock fanatic, too.

Ever seen Requiem for a Dream? Now that was a messed up movie. Amazing, though.

Yet another Jslice masterpiece!
"If there's one thing that I learned while waiting for my turn,
Is that in each life some rain falls, but you also get some sun." -- John Popper

03-29-04, 08:17 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
Requiem for a Dream is a fantastic film. Extremely depressing. I actually slow-mo'd one of the last scenes because I couldn't believe that I was seeing what I was seeing (party scene).

diamond 2307 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

03-29-04, 07:20 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
Here's something disturbing - on my first date with my college boyfriend, we saw Natural Born Killers (despite the title, I swear we didn't really know what it was about). Good thing for him (at the time, anyway), I'm not a sappy romantic.

And yeah, that curb scene in American History X still gives me phantom jaw pains.

deerhunter 3325 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-04, 07:07 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
" I still remember walking out of the theater after watching The Deer Hunter with my friend J.- we were sobbing, I think."

What did I do to make you CRY? I'm SORRY! If I knew it was you, I wouldn't have done what I did!

Was I picking my nose?

03-29-04, 08:20 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
I watch a lot of films. Usually 3 - 6 per week. Netflix is my good friend I used to post my reviews on another board, but it didn't seem that anyone was interested, probably 'cuz it was a site dedicated to Italian tourism and I was posting about a American films (go figure).

Anyway, I love to share film info. Would it be okay to post film my film reviews here?

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-04, 03:17 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"

Miss Eve, I, for one, would love to read your film reviews.

A PMT original, 2004

DebCapsFan 2747 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-29-04, 08:42 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
A couple of friends and I rented Pi one night. The dude is a mathematical genius who can't quite figure out a formula and it drives him crazy. He has these visions that keep getting more bizarre, so he gives himself a lobotomy. With a drill. That movie is seriously f'ed up.

Handcrafted by RolldDice. It's almost playoff time. Woooo!!!

Mon Cherie 1813 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-29-04, 11:29 PM (EST)
17. "OMH"
LAST EDITED ON 03-29-04 AT 11:35 PM (EST)

I saw "Pi" under less than sober circumstances, so it was doubly mind-boggling to me. Gah.

"Kids" and "Bully" disturbed me greatly but were good movies, as well as "American History X" and "Schindler's List".

I know we're talking movies, but HBO's "Oz" was one of my favorite shows, as graphic as it was.

ETA more on Bully and Kids: Yep, recognized the hitman. Bully hit close to home, literally, as the incident it was based on happened literally down the street from my aunt's house in S. FL., I recognized alot of places I had been to. The story itself is horrifying to begin with. I think the movies are so brutal because they are so realistic (the rape scene comes to mind). It's not stuff you're used to seeing in a movie. I felt the same way about Kids.

An IceCat/Mon Cherie Production
"You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love."
-Henry Drummond

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-30-04, 02:02 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Deeply Disturbing Cinema"
The most disturbing movie I ever saw was "Looking for Mr. Goodbar". I was in my early twenties and loved to go out to night clubs. After seeing that movie, I changed the way I looked at the people I met in the clubs. I think it should be mandatory viewing for young women.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •