The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Detours!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-25-06, 00:04 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Detours!"
A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons.

Which will you choose: Yourself or Others

In Yourself, you tell us what you would do if it were you on TAR. Pick a teammate and tell us all about it. You were doing that while you watched, weren't you? C'mon. I know you were.

In Others, you tell us what you think of the Racers performance.

Refresh your memory: Episode 1 - Take It Down or Fill It Up

Take It Down: Pack up a Mongolian nomad tent and attach it to a camel.
Who did this? Peter/Sarah, Duke/Lauren, Lyn/Karlyn, Peter/Sarah, Kellie/Jamie

Fill It Up: Fill a barrel with water brought from a river using cans and a hynick (ox)-drawn cart
Who did this? Dustin/Kandice, Peter/Sarah, Rob/Kimberly, Erwin/Godwin, Tyler/James, Tom/Terry, David/Mary, Lyn/Karlyn

I choose "Others".

LOL @ Peter and Sarah's (broken?) ox-thing running away from them. Perhaps it sensed the tension between them. But if so, why didn't Rob and Kimberly's run away too? Hmmm...

It was nice of David and Mary to give that extra water to Lyn and Karlyn, who clearly would not have done the same for them.

Duke and Lauren need not have bothered getting the knots just right when packing the tent on the camel. Kellie and Jamie's was tied on quite haphazardly.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Detours! mysticwolf 09-25-06 1
   RE: Detours! Earl Colby Pottinger 09-25-06 3
 RE: Detours! Cyndimaus 09-25-06 2
 RE: Detours! emydi 09-25-06 4
   RE: Detours! MKitty 09-26-06 5
  Detours! browneyesohkay 09-27-06 6
 Episode 10.3 - Fuel or Fowl Seana 10-01-06 7
   RE: Episode 10.3 - Fuel or Fowl Cyndimaus 10-02-06 8
   RE: Episode 10.3 - Fuel or Fowl emydi 10-02-06 9
 Episode 10.4 - Over or Under Seana 10-09-06 10
   RE: Episode 10.4 - Over or Under Earl Colby Pottinger 10-09-06 11
   RE: Episode 10.4 - Over or Under Cyndimaus 10-11-06 12
 Episode 10.5 - Wild Things or Wild ... Seana 10-16-06 13
   RE: Episode 10.5 - Wild Things or W... Earl Colby Pottinger 10-16-06 14
   RE: Episode 10.5 - Wild Things or W... Cyndimaus 10-18-06 15
       RE: Episode 10.5 - Wild Things or W... Earl Colby Pottinger 10-19-06 16
 Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automatic Seana 10-22-06 17
   RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automa... jbug 10-23-06 18
       RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automa... byoffer 10-23-06 19
           RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automa... NewFan 10-23-06 20
               RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automa... jbug 10-24-06 21
               RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automa... Earl Colby Pottinger 10-25-06 22
   RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automa... Cyndimaus 10-25-06 23
 Episode 10.7 - Salt or Sea Seana 10-30-06 24
   RE: Episode 10.7 - Salt or Sea coolflowerpowerman 10-30-06 25
       RE: Episode 10.7 - Salt or Sea jbug 10-30-06 27
   RE: Episode 10.7 - Salt or Sea channelhopper 10-30-06 26
   RE: Episode 10.7 - Salt or Sea Cygnus X1 10-30-06 28
 Episode 8 - Long Sleep or Short Let... Seana 11-05-06 29
   RE: Episode 8 - Long Sleep or Short... Earl Colby Pottinger 11-06-06 30
   RE: Episode 8 - Long Sleep or Short... Cyndimaus 11-06-06 31
 Episode 10.9: Swamp This or Swamp T... Seana 11-13-06 32
 Episode 10.10 - Make or Find the Mu... Seana 11-20-06 33
   RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find th... davwav02 11-20-06 34
       RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find th... Earl Colby Pottinger 11-20-06 35
           RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find th... jbug 11-20-06 37
   RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find th... Cyndimaus 11-20-06 36
       RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find th... jbug 11-20-06 38
       RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find th... dragonflies 11-20-06 39
 Episode 11 - Throw It or Grind It Seana 11-26-06 40
 Episode 12 - Lug it or Lob it Seana 12-03-06 41
   RE: Episode 12 - Lug it or Lob it Cygnus X1 12-04-06 42
   RE: Episode 12 - Lug it or Lob it NewFan 12-04-06 43
   RE: Episode 12 - Lug it or Lob it realwatcher 12-24-06 47
 Finale - Art or Fashion Seana 12-11-06 44
   RE: Finale - Art or Fashion Cyndimaus 12-11-06 45
   RE: Finale - Art or Fashion Earl Colby Pottinger 12-13-06 46

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 00:38 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Detours!"
Yourself: No question. I like animals, understand them, and generally get along quite well with them. I'd absolutely have done the "Fill It Up" challenge. (I even know how to make the ox Peter and Sarah had behave himself.) Everything they did that whole day would have made my trip worthwhile.

Puppylvoe for, and by, Tribe blogging's scary

Totally freaked out a Hawaiian farmer when I was ten. I wandered away from the tour bus & they found me in the backyard making friends with their water buffalo bull. The farmer turned white with fear when he saw me. The bull had evidently killed one of his farm hands the day before. For me? He was standing quietly at the fence, letting me scratch his poll (the area between his horns) as he leaned his head up against mine. I still remember how soft he was and how his breath smelled of sweet hay. I'd never made friends with something that big (not quite like the cows I'd known), or with horns that size before, and it was definitely the highlight of my day - if not the farmer's.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

09-25-06, 04:02 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Detours!"
Does that mean you are a Bull Whisperer?

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-25-06, 01:39 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Detours!"
I choose "Yourself"

I'd be doing the race with my hubby. I could see us succeeding at either one but we'd probably choose "Take It Down" cause my hubby is good at stuff like that. And he wouldn't be intimidated by the knots or anything else. And he wouldn't be so fast to give up. We'd get 'er done! And he's strong so lifting those things would be no problem.

sig courtesy of Cygnus
Mouse on the move by Snidget

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 04:36 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Detours!"
I would do the Fill it Up, too. I can't even fold a fitted sheet without it ending up in a ball...

I have pretty good rapport with animals so I would hope that my ox wasn't broken

Nice story about the bull, mystic

MKitty 2976 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-26-06, 06:47 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Detours!"
Who can fold a fitted sheet??? yes, definately count me in the "fill it up" one.

Funny side note: my ex-husband, who used to work in the linen industry, said one of the regrets of our marriage ending was that he never managed to teach me how to fold a fitted sheet! (that was years ago..I still use the "ball" method!) LOL..

browneyesohkay 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-27-06, 11:27 AM (EST)
6. " Detours!"
Yourself - I would be playing with my Fiance Brian and we would "fill it up" because it would be faster and I am pretty sure we could handle the oxen's

Great to see this thread again! Thanks for keeping it going again seana! Can't wait till next sunday!!

10-01-06, 11:56 PM (EST)
7. "Episode 10.3 - Fuel or Fowl"
Fuel
Use a press to make bricks of wet coal.

Who did this? Erwin/Godwin, Tom/Terry, Dustin/Kandice, Tyler/James, Lyn/Karlyn, David/Mary, Peter/Sarah, Rob/Kimberly

Fowl
Build a bird cage.

Who did this? Duke/Lauren

This time I choose "Yourself".

I would be racing with my husband. We would do Fowl. I don't know why the other teams thought it would be so much harder. This is TAR. There's always a pattern to follow. They wouldn't make it too ornate. And we'd get way less dirty.

Spooky bouncie by IceCat

10-02-06, 01:01 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Episode 10.3 - Fuel or Fowl"
Hubby and I would do fuel. He's got a lot of strength and we'd get through it quickly. Plus he has an eye for detail and we wouldn't have had to do any over.

siggie by ARnutz
bounced by Icey
Maus Musings

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-06, 02:15 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Episode 10.3 - Fuel or Fowl"
Me and dbf were watching and I said Fuel he said foul
after looking at the birdcage thing, we would do fuel..

10-09-06, 00:36 AM (EST)
10. "Episode 10.4 - Over or Under"
Over
Take a junk to a rowboat. Use the rowboat to pick up a load of bananas and deliver them.
Who did this? Lyn/Karlyn

Under
Take a junk to a rowboat. Row to a pearl farm and collect 30 oyster baskets, which are under water.
Who did this? Rob/Kimberly, Erwin/Godwin, Peter/Sarah, David/Mary, Tom/Terry, Tyler/James, Dustin/Kandice

This time I think it would be more fun to talk about Others. Good grief! Has none of them ever been to camp? Or to a cabin/cottage by a lake? They couldn't row worth anything!

Given the obvious wind, both team members really needed to be rowing.

You would think that at least the people with a romantic relationship would know how to get into a rhythm with each other.

10-09-06, 01:17 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Episode 10.4 - Over or Under"
I don't understand myself.

The very first time I had to row a boat was when the outboard died on me and I had to row for the very first time in my life.

Yet without prior training or help I figured out the basics in less than five minutes.

Even couples rowing did not take that long, I just had to learn not to stoke harder/faster than my partners as she could not pull as hard.

Some of these people remind me of the 'Black' family on the TAR that 'never' happened.

10-11-06, 05:10 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Episode 10.4 - Over or Under"
Eek on the rowing. I expected a few to struggle, but all of them? Didn't matter which they picked.

If hubby and I had been doing it, we would have chosen "Under" since it didn't involve any searching for addresses. Hubby has awesome upper-arm strength so we would have done fine with rowing. Plus he's smart enough to figure out how to do it even he if didn't already know how. (which he does)

siggie by ARnutz
bounced by Icey
Maus Musings

10-16-06, 00:04 AM (EST)
13. "Episode 10.5 - Wild Things or Wild Rice"
Wild Things
Go to the crocodile farm and help the wranglers get a croc from one pit to another. I am prepared to bet that Steve Irwin (RIP) would have been vocal about the conditions the crocs were living in.
Who did this? Dustin/Kandice, Peter/Sarah, Rob/Kimberly, Erwin/Godwin, Lyn/Karlyn

Wild Rice
Go to a nearby temple, choose a design and correctly fill in the pattern using coloured rice powder.
Who did this? Tyler/James, David/Mary

Yourself: I think DH and I would have chosen the crocodiles, just so I could spend the rest of the Race griping about how they are treated. Did you see them all packed in there? That's not right.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

10-16-06, 05:13 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Episode 10.5 - Wild Things or Wild Rice"
I am all for the crocs, but my girl friend states that she would never come within twenty feet of one!!!

I hope that a million dollar prize will change her mind.

10-18-06, 12:18 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Episode 10.5 - Wild Things or Wild Rice"
Hubby and I would have done crocs.

Was it just me or did there seem to be a HUGE difference in the ease/length between the two tasks. The croc task seemed a bit TOO easy. (I say that as a viewer and not one who actually did the task...it may have been harder than was shown to us)

siggie by ARnutz
bounced by Icey
Maus Musings

10-19-06, 03:25 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Episode 10.5 - Wild Things or Wild Rice"
First, timing - we never saw how long it really took to get out the croc farm and the trip back. Just the long wait for the bus however showed it tolok some time.

Second, mental - we saw that a few teams just had to hear the word croc and their brain shut down, once you start the rice you should quickly realize that it will take a lot of time - Mary let her fear of reptiles over-ride her thinking.

TAR is not just a race where the biggest muscles win (they help a lot) but where you have to think ahead. The tally on members doing roadblocks already shows some are not thinking ahead. And Mary clearly was not for this one.

10-22-06, 11:11 PM (EST)
17. "Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automatic"
Manual
At a feed lot, fill 10 bags with 110 lbs of camel food.
Who did this? Erwin/Godwin, Rob/Kimberly, Dustin/Kandice, Peter/Sarah (I think - please see my comments below.)

Automatic
Use a voice-activated robotic jockey to race a camel.
Who did this? Lyn/Karlyn, Tyler/James

David and Mary took the Fast Forward and didn't have to do a Detour.

I'm going to comment on the Racers again this week.

First off, did Peter and Sarah actually have to complete the task, or were they just given the clue, since the place was obviously closed by the time they got there?

I LOL'd at Dustin/Kandice, who seemed to think that "fill the bag" couldn't possibly have meant "*fill* the bag".

I also LOL'd at Karlyn telling the camel not to give her attitude. I'm pretty sure that's what camels are best known for.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

10-23-06, 09:05 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automatic"
I don't think Sarah & Peter had to do the detour. They took a card out of a box that told them to go to the pit stop. If they had completed the detour, I'm sure we would have senn SOMETHING of it - plus one of the men would have handed them the next card telling them to go to the PS.

AUTOMATIC
Did this just seem too easy or what? It did not appear to take very long at all to do. Maybe other teams did not choose this as they have had experience with stubborn animals and wanted to stay with a task that involced their own strengths/weaknesses rather than those of an animal. LOL
Wonder how far they had to travel to the feed lot and how far to the camel races. Anyone catch that?

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

10-23-06, 09:17 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automatic"
I agree that Peter and Sarah didn't do the challenge. I think it would have been hard for the TAR producers to keep the feed lot open into the wee small hours of the morning when P & S finally showed up. And since the finishing place was already determined, I think that the producers just sent them straight to the finish.

The camel thing did seem quite easy. But as yesterday's episode proved, sometimes more than half of the challenge is FINDING the challenge. Maybe the camel racing club was very obscure, and the producers knew that people would have a hard time finding it.

Because in the end, the teams that have been struggling the last few episodes have been doing so not because of the challenges, but rather because they can't find their destinations.

NewFan 139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-23-06, 10:04 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automatic"
I agree the camel racing looked easy, and it seemed like the camel only had to go about 50 yards? Maybe they should have had the teams get the camel up and into place at the starting line--that would have made it a lot tougher and more interesting. But something must have convinced most of the teams to pick the feed lot. I would have guessed the beauty queens would have been discouraged by having to lift over 50 lbs each several times over!

10-24-06, 09:07 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automatic"
>I agree the camel racing looked
>easy, and it seemed like
>the camel only had to
>go about 50 yards?

I read in a recap that it was 104 yards.
But still looked quick and easy.
Guess finding the place WAS the actual detour.

10-25-06, 00:29 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automatic"
Think of every camel and llama task ever given in past TARs, with that history of problems would you ever think a brand new camel task was going to be an easy one?

10-25-06, 11:43 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Episode 10.6 - Manual or Automatic"
I agree that the camel task was pretty easy (at least from what they showed us) but that the challenge was in actually finding the place. Lyn & Karlyn seemed to drive straight there. They were never shown asking for directions or being worried about being lost. It just took them a long time to get there and they finished before the Cho brothers, who ended up going to the other task. Of course, the manual task probably took awhile, especially in the heat.

Speaking of the heat, do you think that the teams that did not do the manual task will be better off physically than the other teams? They have 12 hours to recover, but I was just thinking about it and wondering if they would have any sort of advantage.

siggie by ARnutz
bounced by Icey
Maus Musings

10-30-06, 00:39 AM (EST)
24. "Episode 10.7 - Salt or Sea"
Salt
Search through huge piles of salt at a saltpan to find a salt shaker that contains a clue.

Bonus frustration! Not all the salt shakers buried in the piles have clues in them.

Who did this? No-one. Rob/Kimberly, Tyler/James, Lyn/Karlyn, Erwin/Godwin, David/Mary all started with this task, then switched to

Sea
Take a boat to an island, search for a mast and sail, using a map. Install mast/sail on boat and sail back.

Bonus fun! Right in front of the masts is a pit covered with camouflage for Racers to fall into.

Who did this? Dustin/Kandice, Rob/Kimberly, Tyler/James, Lyn/Karlyn, Erwin/Godwin, David/Mary

I gotta talk about the Racers again. I really think Mary and David would have been better off staying at the salt piles. Mary pointed out that they were certainly in last place. However, they may have found the shaker in the next 30 seconds. As soon as they left the task, they were definitely in last place. Maybe they would have been there alll night, but there was no way to know. And "maybe last" is better than "definitely last".

So they saved up the search tasks for this?

coolflowerpowerman 456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-30-06, 03:09 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Episode 10.7 - Salt or Sea"
Definitely... David/Mary made the worst strategic error of the episode, I think, with that one right there.

Dustin/Kandice were the ONLY team to correctly pick the "good" detour on the first try, so kudos to them!

10-30-06, 12:02 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Episode 10.7 - Salt or Sea"
Mary should have listened to David for once AND David should have put his foot down and insisted they stay with the salt.
Yes, it could have taken a long time, but as you siad, by switching they were definitely in last place!

Actually they got to the island and received "help" in locating the mast. They COULD have RACED back to their boat and possibly beat the Bros or Bama back to the dock and got ahead.

But then regardless of that they were followers and when the Bros stopped for directions, they stopped too and Bama passed them all by. Surely someone is going to realize that Bama is in the six-pack ONLY for what they can get out of it - NOT for giving to any others. Bama is not about to wait on anybody! They KNOW what the final prize is!

(I really think some have forgotten this is a RACE - it is OK TO RUN MARY!!)

channelhopper 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-30-06, 06:09 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Episode 10.7 - Salt or Sea"
At first I thought that the SALT detour was easier but after finding those salt shakers filled with pepper, that is beyond frustrating, I think I would have given up after a while and switched to the other.

I think the key is to be flexible-if the detour is taking too long you're losing ground.

I really like David and Mary and hope they stick around but things aren't looking too hot for them.

And though I don't really like Dustin and Kandice they are good players and pretty strong, they've finished in the top four a lot so they are looking good

I don't know what's up with Erwin and Godwin- they need to get down and dirty and stop with this whole alliance thing because eventually there's going to be some backstabbing, it's a competition guys!

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

10-30-06, 10:50 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Episode 10.7 - Salt or Sea"
I thought the salt was the better option at first, but I was mistaken. I thought it would take a long time to find the sail, then the teams would be at the mercy of the wind on the way back. But it looks like that wasn't a problem at all.

Yes, D&M should have stayed with the salt, as Seana so adroitly pointed out.

Tribe strikes again!
*waits for suckup points*

11-05-06, 11:36 PM (EST)
29. "Episode 8 - Long Sleep or Short Letter"
Long Sleep
Wrap 8 foam mattresses and deliver them on foot to a house 1 mile away.

Short Letter
Make 28 sheets of hand-crafted decorative paper.

The smart money was on doing the paper, if you ask me. If I was Racing with my husband, we'd have chosen that. Why would we choose to lug 8 mattresses around when we can make paper standing in one place? Neither task involves chance, which is to be avoided. We would always pick the task that gave us the most control over the outcome.

11-06-06, 01:20 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Episode 8 - Long Sleep or Short Letter"
The problem is you don't know the local method of making paper before hand.

If this is a light delicate tissue paper the process of pulp to paper can be very fast. A stronger paper however will take a lot of time. Also how soon can you start painting the patterns, you may have had to wait some time for the pulp to dry a bit before you can start painting. You just don't know those details until you start the task.

11-06-06, 10:53 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Episode 8 - Long Sleep or Short Letter"
I think we would have done the paper choice. Lugging the mattresses for a mile? Nope.

I was bummed we didn't get to see anyone do the paper. It would have been interesting to see.

sig courtesy of Cygnus

11-13-06, 00:19 AM (EST)
32. "Episode 10.9: Swamp This or Swamp That"
LAST EDITED ON 11-13-06 AT 00:19 AM (EST)

Swamp This
Use cross-country skis to traverse a muddy field.
Who did this? Dustin/Kandice, Lyn/Karlyn

Swamp That
Complete a muddy obstacle course.
Who did this? Tyler/James, Rob/Kimberly, Erwin/Godwin

Well, if I were Racing with my husband, I'm not sure which we would have chosen. Maybe the obstacle course, just because I've seen him on skis and it's not pretty.

Though the ski option seems to have been the least messy one. Everyone who did the obstacle course was covered in mud. I would also like to point out that we would be smart enough not to change right then. What were the modelboys thinking?

Wheel of Tribe

11-20-06, 00:04 AM (EST)
33. "Episode 10.10 - Make or Find the Music"
Make the Music
Write your own rap about the Race so far. Perform it in front of Ukraine's biggest rapper guy.
Who did this? Dustin/Kandice, Rob/Kimberly, Lyn/Karlyn

Find the Music
Search through stacks of sheet music for a certain piece and then find a (12-inch?) pianist to play it.
Who did this? Tyler/James, Erwin/Godwin

Yourself: As much as I hate search tasks, I hate rap and performing more. I much prefer classical music anyway.

Others:
- Tyler and James looked hot in their tuxes.
- Karlyn can't compose, no matter what she thinks.
- Dustin and Kandice did a great job, actually.

davwav02 401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-20-06, 00:23 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find the Music"
- Karlyn can't compose, no matter what she thinks.

Yeah, she can't compose, and neither of them could sing. If I were their kids, I'd be afraid to face anyone I knew after seeing them do that.

- Dustin and Kandice did a great job, actually.

I agree. I was actually surprised at how well they did. (not based on any stereotypes or anything, I just didn't know what to expect from them, to be honest). They did very well. Rob and Kim were a very distant second, not too far above the others.

If I had to perform one, I would probably pick Find the Music. I'm way too self conscious (and way too white) to rap. And it didn't look like those guys had that much trouble with it, (although I wouldn't have known that going in).

11-20-06, 09:11 AM (EST)
35. "RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find the Music"
Rap for me. Not because I am Black, I hate about 95% of all rap music out there. But because if you write it in the car you know the time is only that of the performance (plus dressing which you may not know about) vs a search task that could be short but may run on forever.

Some search tasks in TAR are real killers of time!!!

11-20-06, 11:24 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find the Music"
.............. But
>because if you write it
>in the car you know
>the time is only that
>of the performance (plus dressing
>which you may not know
>about) vs a search task
>that could be short but
>may run on forever.
>

Didn't D&K wait till they got here to compose their rap?
Others worked on theirs in the car.
If D&K had thought to do that they would probably have had a 4th 1st place finish.

11-20-06, 11:21 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find the Music"
Hm, tough one. Which one would take longer? It didn't seem to take long to find the sheet of music. I'm leaning towards the fine the music one. Not sure which one hubby would have picked. He would have enjoyed the make the music one just for the sheer fact he loves making up lyrics. (he's work well with Weird Al)

sig courtesy of Cygnus

11-20-06, 11:29 AM (EST)
38. "RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find the Music"
>Hm, tough one. Which one would
>take longer? It didn't seem
>to take long to find
>the sheet of music.

The many stacks of sheet music looked bad at first sight - especially if one thought there was only 5 copies of the right on in all of it (one for each team) - but apparently they were found rather quickly so I think there must have been more copies than that.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

11-20-06, 11:31 AM (EST)
39. "RE: Episode 10.10 - Make or Find the Music"
I would've chosen the make music one, just because I hate random search tasks. Plus based on past TARs, we know that usually completing a task doesn't mean it has to be star quality or anything.

But the models did look hot in those tuxes.

Go Pack!

11-26-06, 11:33 PM (EST)
40. "Episode 11 - Throw It or Grind It"
Throw It
"Throw" (make, using a pottery wheel) two pots at a pottery shop.
Who did this? No-one

Grind It
Grind up 77lbs of olives, then stuff them into pressing sleeves.
Who did this? Tyler/James, Lyn/Karlyn, Rob/Kimberly, Dustin/Kandice

Bonus nastiness! Each task only has 3 available workstations, they are first come, first served.

If it were me, I would make pots. OK, if I were Racing with my husband I'm sure he wouldn't...no wait, I bet he'd want to do the sitting down job too. I mean, how perfect would they have to be? It's hot in Morocco, no? We'd make pots.

12-03-06, 11:18 PM (EST)
41. "Episode 12 - Lug it or Lob it"
Lug It
Put on a huge "Giant" costume (a big hollow statue, essentially) and walk over a mile to find a particular female giant.
Who? Tyler/James, Dustin/Kandice

Lob It
Dig through a pile of tomatoes for a clue while defending against locals attacking with tomatoes of their own.
Who?Rob/Kimberly, Lyn/Karlyn

Oh my heck, the tomato thing was the funniest! Kimberly's snit was hilarious.

K: "I'm leaving!"

K: "Babe! I wanna go!" *storms off*
R: (following) "Way to cry. You just blew it!"

Then he joins in the snit and they both stalk off to the cab to find out that the other task is 20km away, so they go back and find the clue almost right away. Ha!

Later on, he thinks she's a wonderful woman and wants to marry her. Holy heck. They're a matched set.

Anyway, it looked like Lob It was actually faster.

Winter by tribe

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

12-04-06, 01:12 AM (EST)
42. "RE: Episode 12 - Lug it or Lob it"
When they first started the Detour, I thought Lug It was the more logical choice, but then again it was hard to negotiate those oversized pierogis. Lob It was such a good choice that the Drama Queens (R/K) couldn't even screw it up TOO much!

Tribe strikes again!
I cannot WAIT to write about Lob It for the summary.

NewFan 139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-04-06, 03:28 PM (EST)
43. "RE: Episode 12 - Lug it or Lob it"
OMG, I was laughing so hard I was crying! Kim totally lost it and was SCREAMING at Rob. Then she'd get pelted with a tomato--ouch!

And Rob was so frustrated, he took it out on the crowd by hurling tomatoes back at them. It was surreal and hilarious. Can we get this on YouTube?

realwatcher 33 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-24-06, 06:26 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Episode 12 - Lug it or Lob it"
Lug It was the right choice if the tomatoes with clue were only 4.

Can you someone answer how much were tomatoes with clue and if there were 2 or 4 different heaps of tomatoes?

Anyway--smart choice for boys -that wa sthe only way to finish with girls without any probs.

12-11-06, 09:44 AM (EST)
44. "Finale - Art or Fashion"
Art
Lug a painting from a gallery to an artist.
Who did this? None

Fashion
Cut out pieces of material to make a jacket and then pin it to a mannequin.
Who did this? Rob/Kimberly, Lyn/Karlyn, Tyler/James

Honestly, I wouldn't have chosen this task. I can sew a skirt OK, but anythin with sleeves is brutally hard, IMO. Even though I know that TAR tasks aren't "expert" level, I would rather lug a painting.

However,

- the boys were probably remembering how they did this pretty much exactly this task last time (Giants) and ended up third.

- Bama was probably avoiding the more physical task.

- Kimberly was being snobby. They were both so excited to go to Paris. You know, where the classy people are? Makes me wish the task had involved a sewer tour. Eh bien.

I find it amusing that the boys finished first. Being a model doesn't mean you can sew. I like that the designer didn't just say "OK" and let it go at that.

It's been fun! Thank-you all for playing.

12-11-06, 01:06 PM (EST)
45. "RE: Finale - Art or Fashion"
A rather anti-climatic detour for the finale if you ask me. Both tasks seemed rather boring and the fact that all teams arrived and left fairly closely together made it less than thrilling.

I was amused that the boys took more time to do the task and as a result finished before the others. I think the others rushed through it too much and made mistakes.

dressed up for the holidays by Tribe

12-13-06, 03:43 AM (EST)
46. "RE: Finale - Art or Fashion"
About snobby players. I agree, Europe has lots of lovely places for people who turn up their noses at the poorer countries of the world.

Sewer tours, Catacombs hunts, a church made out of human bones. For France, how about a truffle hunt? Chasing a pig on a leash look like fun to me.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •