The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Detours - What Would You Do?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-01-06, 02:16 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Detours - What Would You Do?"
You're thinking about it while you're watching, so why not post it for the whole world to read?

Pick yourself an imaginary TAR partner and tell us what you would have done this week if you'd been running in the Amazing Race.

Episode 1:

Motorhead: Assemble a motorcycle using a completed motorcycle for reference.

Who did this task: Lake/Michelle, Ray/Yolanda
Who tried and gave up: Danielle/Dani, Fran/Barry

Rotorhead: Find a certain building on a map, get a ticket from the dispatcher, fly in a helicopter to the building, disembark, find clue in building, fly back.

Who did this task: everyone else.

I would be Racing with my husband. I expect we would do the helicopter task, because helicopters are so cool. DH (dear husband) is quite a good mechanic and works on his own motorcycle rather often. Even still, given the choice between a task that could make us bicker (assembly) and a fun thing, we would choose the fun thing.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? Cygnus X1 03-01-06 1
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? Tamena 03-01-06 2
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? StarryLuna 03-01-06 3
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? Max Headroom 03-01-06 4
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? Prof_ Wagstaff 03-01-06 5
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? Jims02 03-01-06 6
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? cahaya 03-01-06 7
   RE: Detours - What Would You Do? Lisa0116 03-02-06 25
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? browneyesohkay 03-01-06 8
   RE: Detours - What Would You Do? Seana 03-01-06 23
 RE: Detours - I have Questions Earl Colby Pottinger 03-01-06 9
   RE: Detours - I have poor answers. Seana 03-01-06 10
       RE: Detours - I have poor answers. Earl Colby Pottinger 03-01-06 14
   RE: Detours - I have Questions TARhopeful 03-01-06 11
       RE: Detours - I have Questions Seana 03-01-06 12
           RE: Detours - I have Questions Earl Colby Pottinger 03-01-06 13
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? SilverStar 03-01-06 15
   RE: Detours - What Would You Do? michel 03-01-06 16
       RE: Detours - What Would You Do? TARhopeful 03-01-06 17
           RE: Detours - What Would You Do? Wacko Jacko 03-01-06 18
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? vince3 03-01-06 19
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? Peetah 03-01-06 20
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? ARnutz 03-01-06 21
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? Cyndimaus 03-01-06 22
 RE: Detours - What Would You Do? mssiren 03-01-06 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 05:38 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
The only way I would do the motorcycle detour would be if I were racing with my next door neighbor, who puts together and takes apart motorcycles for a living.

Otherwise, the helicopter ride would be a thrill, especially in an enormous city like Sao Paulo.

Tamena 174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-01-06, 07:12 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
good question! hehehe

Part of me says do the bike. Specially racing with my husband. My ex use to race pro motocross and I've spent a long time in the pits putting bikes together. I've never been in a hellicopter though so I might go that way just cause of how cool it would be =)

Hubby was watching last night and we both said do the bike..so that's where I'll put my vote

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karma doesn't come back on people because some universal controller-god pushes buttons. It comes back on people because they dig holes for themselves to fall into.

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-01-06, 07:43 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
More than likely I'd be racing with my Dad, and while he does manage a service station and help out with repairs, I'm not sure how fast we'd be at assembling the bike. Basically, I'd stand there and hand him parts while he put it together.

The helicopter task would more than likely be our pick, because honestly, how many times in life would we have that option?

Luna's Eclipses

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 08:57 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
It's an easy choice for me - rotor head. I have zero assembly skills, know nothing about motorcycles, and have always wanted to ride in a helicopter. DW would be my travel partner and her vote also goes to rotor head.

Prof_ Wagstaff 4196 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-01-06, 09:19 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
My daughter and I watch the show together and pick the detours/roadblocks as if we were doing them. Since we've watched TAR since the beginning, I guess we're racing together.

With my mechanical skills, we'd still be working on the motorcycle when the million dollar winners jumped on the mat. Which is why we looked at each other last night and said in unison: Rotorhead

Sig by Cygnus
"Egad sir, I don't know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox." Montagu
"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Wilkes

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 09:50 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
There's no bloody way I'd be assembling that motorcycle. I'm not handy in any way and, unless I were partners with a mechanic, I would never finish. Plus, that helicopter ride looks like sooooo much fun.

Rotorhead all the way!

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 10:04 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
Knowing how working on karts (which have 2-stroke engines like motorcycles) can be frustrating at times, and how cool a chopper ride would be, easy choice!

Happy Chinese New Year!

Lisa0116 688 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-02-06, 04:04 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
>Knowing how working on karts (which
>have 2-stroke engines like motorcycles)
>can be frustrating at times,
>and how cool a chopper
>ride would be, easy choice!

Well, I raced Go-Karts for years. My Dad blueprinted the fastest Yamaha on the track. I would have done motorhead in a heartbeat!! Rotorhead would be great-for the helicopter ride, but I bet I could have had the cycle together in a short period of time.

browneyesohkay 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-01-06, 10:27 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
I am so glad that's finally back!! Hi ya again my fellow TAR lovers - a special wave and wink to seana! Well it's that time again folks - descision time - for this leg of the race my boyfriend and I will do the rotorhead - just because it's cool and it seemed less intense than trying to put together a motorcycle. Here's to great roadblocks ahead!!

03-01-06, 10:26 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
Welcome back, browneyes! Nice sig.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-01-06, 10:38 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Detours - I have Questions"
First, I would have choosen motorcycle because it never crossed my mind that they would had been in such poor condition. On the otherhand if my partner said helicopter I would change in an instant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:

1) Am I the only one surprised by the condition of the bikes?

2) Why did none of the people working inside go out and look at the example bike in front of the store?

3) I was under the impression there were only a limited number of packages per building and that if a building ran out you would have to go back to the airport, choose another and make another trip. However, no-one had to do this. Am I wrong or did everyone just spread themselves out properly?

03-01-06, 10:49 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Detours - I have poor answers."
1. I didn't realise the bikes would be in such poor shape, either.

2. Possible they didn't READ THE CLUE. I didn't get that the example was outside and the bike to be assembled was inside. Silly me.

3. This one I know: there were a limited number of tickets, meaning tickets to get on the helicopters. So, for example, when John and Scott finally found the building they wanted to travel to, they couldn't get a ticket because the dispatcher was all out. They had to go back to the map and pick another building. So they wouldn't have flown to a building that didn't have any clues left in it.

03-01-06, 11:28 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Detours - I have poor answers."
3. Thanks, I will pay closer attention to that detail when I rewatch the tape tonight.

TARhopeful 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-01-06, 10:58 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Detours - I have Questions"
I think that they had a limited number of "tickets" per building - so if you told the window person that you wanted to go to building X and the three tickets for that building were already used - then you had to go find another building on the map book - like the gay couple did at the end.

BTW - The clues were in different places in the same building.

As a TAR10 hopeful - my wife and I were watching and making decisions as if we were there. We would have done the helicopter ride at that point in the race. At a different point in the race we might have chosen the motorcycle assembly because we can put things together...usually without instructions.

I think that Fran and partner gave up too quickly and didn't use te available resources...

03-01-06, 11:07 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Detours - I have Questions"
Welcome to the boards, hopeful! If you do make it on TAR, please do me a favour and make sure to read the clue.

Of course, I do enjoy mocking people who don't read the clue and then do something stupid and get themselves eliminated (like Jonathan and Victoria TAR6)

Interesting idea...later in the Race you might have picked motorcycles...for the potential opportunity to make up time? Hmmm.

03-01-06, 11:26 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Detours - I have Questions"
That is unfair. J&V did deliver two asses, just not the right two. With Jonathan's self-claimed super powers he could not have made a mistake, it is clearly poor instructions that did not clearly state that the asses both had to be four legged ones.

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 01:05 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
Well, Jake Gyllenhaal and I (what? you said imaginary! *grin*) would have definitely done the Rotorhead. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to put together a motorcycle, and I doubt Jake would either.

Handcrafted by RollDdice, Inspired by Monstah

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 01:35 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
First: Earl that one was hilarious!

As far as detour is concerned, for the last few seasons, the less physical ones have all been so easy that they've always been accomplished before the one Phil describes as "more physical but could be done quickly". So for Tarhopeful, you are right, Rotorhead, a task were you have no decisions to make and are being driven is a good choice. Even though I have some mechanical skills, Motorhead wasn't a smart move. The only exceptions should be that it is very late in the race or if you are at the very bottom of the pack.

If you do have a tough task, Lake's strategy was excellent (sort of like Rob M. without the humour). Telling the old couple he would help them was in effect yielding them without the resentment. Lake knew he had a team beaten, that's all you need until the last leg.

TARhopeful 4 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 02:14 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
Yeah - I think that it is totally dependent on the actual situation and place. I have no idea why the guys that the pinkies kissed did not help them with the bike assembly (in other words - maybe they were directed not to help by the producers/store owner) - but usually you can get some help.

And like you said - sometimes you have to take the risk and hope for good results. But we would have taken the Helo rides for sure at this point of the race - specially if we were one of the first ones to get to that clue.

As for Lake - if last night is as bad as it is going to get (between him and wife) they'll do ok because he has tenacity and she "goes with his decisions". They're lucky that they recovered from that first almost fatal mistake!

Wacko Jacko 2438 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

03-01-06, 03:29 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
Rotohead all the way.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 04:41 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
Rotorhead, I can't do anything mechanical to save my life!

A gift from Cygnus!

Peetah 334 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-01-06, 04:45 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
I'm good at assembling puzzles, figuring out furniture etc, building models, I can even follow a recipe.

But a motorcycle? No way.

I would fly the friendly skies with my galpal Meredith.

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 05:24 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
Well... honestly, from the way the clue read, I would've chosen the motorcycle thing. Who knew from the description that the helicopter thing would be so cool? I suppose I would have wound up switching, just like a couple of the teams.

If Mr. Nutz were my partner, being a mechanic and all, he would've went for the motorcycle too, but honestly, for us, it would've turned out to be a Roadblock (you know... a task only one person may perform)!

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom!

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-01-06, 05:29 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
I'd be racing with my husband and we'd do Rotorhead. I am not at all mechanically inclined and while hubby does do some of our vehicle repairs I don't think it would be enough to succeed at the motorcycle one. Plus riding in a helocoptor would be a great experience.

Sigs by Cyg
Maus Blog
GO ZAGS!!!
(Gonzaga University; Spokane, Washington)
Undefeated season; National record holder of most consecutive home court wins(38)

mssiren 5 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 10:44 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Detours - What Would You Do?"
i would ahve chosen rotorhead

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •