The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Jeff's interference at TC"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-15-06, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Jeff's interference at TC"
I put thins in the Gufu thread, but then decided to make its own thresd.

I think Jeff hosed Yul roayally at TC by pointing out to the jury that Yul was the one that brought Jonathan's hat back, and then making it out to be an attempt to get a vote.

With a caveat that we don't get to see EVERYTHING that happens at TC, if you remember as the gang was walking in to TC, Yul walked over and set the hat down on the jury bench BEFORE the jury ever got there. So the jury had no way of knowing that Yul was the one that brought the hat back...until Jeff pointed it out.

Then the barbecue began. And the accusations started that he was trying to buy a jury vote by bringing the hat back.

So was Jeff doing the right thing by that, or did he over-step his bounds as host and do something that shouldn't have been done? Should Yul's simple act of niceness be used against him like that?

-New holiday sig! Thanks, tribe!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Jeff's interference at TC Estee 12-15-06 1
   RE: Jeff's interference at TC nailbone 12-15-06 8
       RE: Jeff's interference at TC CattyChat 12-15-06 20
           RE: Jeff's interference at TC ulalame 12-16-06 28
           RE: Jeff's interference at TC AZ_Leo 12-17-06 37
               What we didn't know was . . . CattyChat 12-21-06 44
 RE: Jeff's interference at TC dabo 12-15-06 2
   RE: Jeff's interference at TC nailbone 12-15-06 9
 RE: Jeff's interference at TC zipperhead 12-15-06 3
   RE: Jeff's interference at TC bullzeye 12-15-06 5
       RE: Jeff's interference at TC Aruba 12-15-06 21
           RE: Jeff's interference at TC Colonel Zoidberg 12-21-06 43
 RE: Jeff's interference at TC aquariaqueen 12-15-06 4
   RE: Jeff's interference at TC Karchita 12-15-06 16
 RE: Jeff's interference at TC KObrien_fan 12-15-06 6
   RE: Jeff's interference at TC nailbone 12-15-06 10
       RE: Jeff's interference at TC KObrien_fan 12-15-06 11
           RE: Jeff's interference at TC nailbone 12-15-06 13
               RE: Jeff's interference at TC byoffer 12-15-06 14
                   RE: Jeff's interference at TC nailbone 12-15-06 15
                       RE: Jeff's interference at TC byoffer 12-15-06 17
                           RE: Jeff's interference at TC nailbone 12-15-06 18
                               RE: Jeff's interference at TC PepeLePew13 12-18-06 38
                           RE: Jeff's interference at TC finallytyping 12-15-06 25
                       RE: Jeff's interference at TC KObrien_fan 12-15-06 19
               Not so anonymous? AZ_Leo 12-15-06 22
                   RE: Not so anonymous? nazpink 12-15-06 24
   Jeff's interference at TC is biased... RebelYell 12-20-06 42
       RE: Jeff's interference at TC is bi... nailbone 12-21-06 46
 RE: Jeff's interference at TC Cyndimaus 12-15-06 7
 RE: Jeff's interference at TC StarryLuna 12-15-06 12
   RE: Jeff's interference at TC Aruba 12-15-06 23
       RE: Jeff's interference at TC iltarion 12-16-06 26
           RE: Jeff's interference at TC Outfrontgirl 12-16-06 27
               RE: Jeff's interference at TC nailbone 12-18-06 39
           RE: Jeff's interference at TC Aruba 12-16-06 29
               RE: Jeff's interference at TC michel 12-16-06 30
                   RE: Jeff's interference at TC mechemist 12-17-06 31
                       RE: Jeff's interference at TC dabo 12-17-06 32
                   RE: Jeff's interference at TC Aruba 12-17-06 33
                       RE: Jeff's interference at TC michel 12-17-06 35
                           RE: Jeff's interference at TC Aruba 12-17-06 36
                   RE: Jeff's interference at TC cantstandsya 12-17-06 34
                       RE: Jeff's interference at TC Wacko Jacko 12-19-06 40
 Just as I suspected CattyChat 12-20-06 41
   And there you have it. nailbone 12-21-06 45

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-06, 10:24 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
That depends: do you really think Yul's motives were as pure as Jeff's hairspray?

Personally, I don't think Jonathan's vote can be bought quite that cheaply. Yes, Jeff was trying to create drama during a typical boring late-Pagonging TC, but the initial line of questioning had some validity to it. The topic just seemed to drag on forever. There had to be something else to talk about, right? Even Parvati's lack of bladder control would have been a change of pace...

Can you tell I didn't get much sleep?

12-15-06, 12:24 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
How could his motives not be pure? HE didn't do anything to call attention to the fact that he brought the hat back. As far as the jury knew, before Jeff announced it, anyone could have brought the hat back.

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-15-06, 07:08 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
You said it, Nailbone. ALSO, before he even brought the hat back we were shown Yul asking the others at camp IF he should bring the hat back and if they thought Jeff would yell at Yul for doing so, but Yul felt that Jonathan deserved his hat back.

I actually feel Yul's motives WERE pure and partially because Yul felt a little guilty Jonathan was booted when he was. As you said, NB, Yul placed the hat on the bench BEFORE the jury came in, so no one would have known who brought the hat back if Jeff didn't point out that it was Yul and try to start a debate as to why Yul brought it back.

Yul said the hat was of high sentimental value for Jonathan. I'll bet Yul was THE ONLY survivor who knew it was so sentimental for Jonathan, as it seemed Yul was the only one to actually went out of his way to get to know Jonathan. The rest of the sheep just followed along with the "Jonathan the rat" hearsay that was spread by people like Candace.

Jeff is there to create debate and "good TV," but I do think Yul's motives were good intention for Jonathan's sake and not Yul's.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

ulalame 778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-16-06, 03:39 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
I have to think that Jonathan knows that. While he might not be happy with Yul for booting him, if it came down to Yul and anybody but Ozzy, Yul would win.

On the other hand, if it is Yul v. Ozzy, then Yul has a problem.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

12-17-06, 06:04 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
A question I have is if Yul wasn't being strategic and just had good intentions then why didn't he either just give the hat to one of the producers or camera crew hanging around camp or give it to Jeff before the jury came in and let Jeff make the call of returning it or not?

I think he was taking a shot on pushing the no communication rule with the jury to maybe get a vote. I think he expected Jeff to either let it stand or take the hat away before the jury saw it but he didn't expect to be called on it in front of everyone.

A tribephyl original

12-21-06, 09:02 AM (EST)
44. "What we didn't know was . . . "
. . . HE DID, Az -- see post #41.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-06, 10:29 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Agree. Yeah, the whole tribe walked past the jury seats while entering, Yul just quietly set the hat down so that it would be there when the jury entered. Could the jury have seen that gesture? Perhaps, and I suppose Jeff would know. But Jeff calling it the most blatant attempt ever by anyone to gain favor with a jurist really seemed like a stretch.

Got to give Jeff his bones though, Yul really blew it in response.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

12-15-06, 12:25 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Agreed. Yul could have just as easily pointed out that he did it without the jury present, so know one would know it was him.

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-06, 10:58 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Jeff definitely tried to make a big deal out of it.

Yul asked the people at camp if they should bring it. Nobody seemed to have a problem with him doing that. As you said, he left the hat before the jury came in. It could have been a totally anonomous gesture, but Jeff had to play it up.

Haven't seen Jeff be that manipulative since he talked whatshername into staying in the game, causing Stephanie to get voted off the first time, IIRC.

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-06, 11:43 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Haven't seen Jeff be that manipulative since he talked whatshername into staying in the game, causing Stephanie to get voted off the first time, IIRC. <\i>

I may be nitpicking here, but wasn't it the other way around? I am pretty certain Steph lived to see another day after Jiffy talked (I forget her name - Janu?), into quitting.

A birthday present from Tribe

Aruba 3400 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-06, 07:20 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Bullzeye living up to his name...you're right on target with your call.

Although Janu had been contemplating quitting for a while, Jiffy was extremely proactive in convincing her to quit at that TC since Steph was on the chopping block.

It was in the best interest of the show to keep the "darling of the season" around as long as they could. Jiffy must have gotten a little bonus in his paycheck for that one.

Colonel Zoidberg 3662 desperate attention whore postings

12-21-06, 08:22 AM (EST)
43. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
>It was in the best interest
>of the show to keep
>the "darling of the season"
>around as long as they
>could. Jiffy must have
>gotten a little bonus in
>his paycheck for that one.

It was in his best interest to keep someone who wanted to play the game and get a potential quitter out. The questions that he asked Janu were questions that should have been asked. Asking Janu, "Is quitting any different from asking to be voted out?" is no different from asking, "Is there an alliance?" He has questions for everyone and wants them to be relevant. Asking everyone a bunch of irrelevant questions makes for a boring TC.

Jeff wanted to know if Janu wanted out of the game. She said she had asked to be voted off but the tribe was voting Stephenie. The logical question then is, if Janu wants out so badly, why not quit? She waffled and didn't give a definitive answer until production stopped the cameras, at which point she asked if she would still be on the jury. She would be, so she laid down her torch.

I don't think it was a direct effort to save Stephenie because she's Stephenie. I think it's a direct effort to save Stephenie because she wants to stay in the game and Janu doesn't. If Jeff asks the same form-letter questions, TC is boring, Stephenie gets voted out, and Janu's trapped in the game as a weird person who won't talk to anyone and has absolutely no chance of winning the game except in the case of her going against someone really vile. And no one wants to see that.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

12-15-06, 11:06 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Totally agree, it was left anonymously. I was yelling at Jeff through the TV, "it's only a hat".

It really must have been a boring tribal council if that's what they aired about it. Big GUFU!

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-15-06, 04:49 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
"It really must have been a boring tribal council if that's what they aired about it."

Or the hat comes up again later.

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-06, 11:50 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Jeff did exactly what his job is to do. Yul knew as he was leaving camp that Jeff might make a big deal of it because he made the comment "I don't know if this is going to get Jeff mad at me or not."

Jeff's job is to bring out the reasons these people make the moves that they do, TC is a place to get to the bottom of what is going on in the game. Anything you do in this game can and usually does get put under a microscope at some point. If you are going to make a gesture like the hat thing, then be ready to defend it.

12-15-06, 12:27 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
But in this case, Jeff CREATED the reason, then put it under the microscope and forced Yul to defend it.

12-15-06, 01:30 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Jeff didn't create it, Yul did. Nothing you do at TC especially can be considered "anonymous". Since the gesture could be deemed as trying to sway the jury to vote for you, it gave Yul an unfair advantage and Jeff had to call him out on it. There is supposed to be no interaction between the contestants and the jury members, Yul broke that and then had to defend it.

12-15-06, 02:58 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
But the jury wasn't there when Yul put the hat on the bench. So as far as the jury was concerned, it was anonymous, and there would have been no interaction. UNTIL Jeff called him on it, and revealed that Yul was the one that put it there.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-06, 04:33 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
You are correct, NB, but so is KO.

I believe Jeff has the authority to ask about anything that happens in the game, except, presumably, comments from confessionals. If Yul hadn't left the hat, no discussion.

Yul could have made this a really positive thing, by saying that he knew Jon wanted the hat, and that he left it anonymously because he didn't want to be perceived to be buying votes (except maybe from the remaining survivors who will be on the jury). He had a great opportunity, but blew it.

This makes me really question Yul's ability to answer jury questions. He is supposed to be this genius, but as we have seen in past seasons, blowing the final TC can lose the $1M.

12-15-06, 04:45 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
He has the authority, but that doesn't mean that he should.

But I do agree about Yul's answers. He blew it, and you're right, he could very well blow it again when it counts most. He seems to be good at strategic thinking, but not thinking too fast on his feet.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-06, 05:00 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Yul - hasn't been thinking too fast on his feet.

Ozzy - has been moving fast on his feet, but can he think on them?

Becky - Based on her size, I will guess that she has small feet. Are they too small to be noticed by the jury, even if she is thinking on them?

Sundra - She may even think the fastest on her feet, but are her feet fast enough to get her to the jury? (they don't seem to be fast enough to get her on camera)

Adam - No thinking on big slow feet. Looks like a jury favourite for Sole Survivor!!

12-15-06, 05:12 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Parvarti - Feet? she has feet?

PepeLePew13 26140 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 06:45 AM (EST)
38. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Well, Parvati's never on her feet, she's always lying down ifyaknowwhatimean... how would she know what feet is supposed to be for?

A Tribe siggie
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

finallytyping 401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-15-06, 10:48 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"

>Adam - No thinking on big
>slow feet. Looks like
>a jury favourite for Sole
>Survivor!!

You know what they say, "big slow feet, big slow ..."

Only Parvati knows the true answer.

12-15-06, 05:34 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
He has the authority, but that doesn't mean that he should.

Yes it does, that is what he gets paid to do, it is in his contract. Yul should not have been allowed to do that for a juror without being confronted about it, anonymous attempt as it were.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-06, 07:25 PM (EST)
22. "Not so anonymous?"
I looked back at the tape of last week's TC. When Johnathon asks for his hat back Yul nods, no one else reacts.

Looking at this week's TC you aren't shown initial jury reactions when J picks up his hat, only after he has sat down. Yul could have easily nodded or gestured indicating he was the one that brought it either then or during TC.

Jeff had to have seen the nod from the previous week and could assume Yul would find a way to indicate he did the good deed (just look at all the nonverbal communication between Adam and Candace if you can stand it).

Jeff did what he is supposed to do by stepping in immediately.

A tribephyl original

nazpink 1058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-15-06, 07:52 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Not so anonymous?"
I was just about to say that. I clearly recall Jonathan not only asking for his hat back but stating that it had sentimental value all while Yul looked him in the face and nodded. I'm sure that to some level it was a nice jesture on Yul's part...but it was laced with other motivations as well.

1.) First off, if Yul did it simply out of kindness and wanted no recognition for it then he could have stated that during the questioning. It's not the first time Yul's been asked a question by Jeff or anyone else for that matter. And then for Yul to actually agree that on some level he did do it to gain favor. By the way I that if Jonathan gives him his vote it will be because he thinks Yul deserves it not because he brought his hat back.

2.) Was I the only one that saw when Yul put Jonathan's hat on and asked others if they thought Jonathan would be upset to see him stroll into TC with it on? His whole demeanor was quite smart a$$ (and may have made for a somewhat humorous moment) but it seemed to me that Yul lost the balls to do it.

Let's face it, Yul has been given the leader role and has taken fall for others (Becky is loving it) and now he is trying to redeem himself with the jury. I like the guy and assume that he's probably truly nice and I do think he deserves to win (Ozzy also), so I don't blame him. I think the guy needs to sit back and chill a bit.....let someone put their foot in their mouth for once.....like Becky.

Also, it seems as though jury members and remaining Survivors have had more "communication" then in the past. They may not be talking but mouthing words, raising eyebrows, and smiling, nodding....I would think they would put an end to it.

RebelYell 152 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-20-06, 10:09 PM (EST)
42. "Jeff's interference at TC is biased and unfair"
>Jeff did exactly what his job
>is to do. Yul
>knew as he was leaving
>camp that Jeff might make
>a big deal of it
>because he made the comment
>"I don't know if this
>is going to get Jeff
>mad at me or not."
>
>
>Jeff's job is to bring out
>the reasons these people make
>the moves that they do,
>TC is a place to
>get to the bottom of
>what is going on in
>the game. Anything you
>do in this game can
>and usually does get put
>under a microscope at some
>point. If you are
>going to make a gesture
>like the hat thing, then
>be ready to defend it.

If it is Jeff's job to bring these things to light, then the game is patently unfair.
It's a game and Jeff is not "playing." He is a host and a moderator. He should just smile, ask questions that show no partiality and let the conversations at TCs and ICs just flow.

By his own admission, Jeff doesn't always know what's going on. What if he asks one of his leading questions that tips a player off to something? Is that fair to the other players?
Is it fair when he singles out Yul or any player as he so often does?

At ICs, his rah-rah approach to describing the action isn't fair either. When a team is getting whipped, there's Jeff with his "Aitu is falling farther behind" comment followed by "Aitu better catch up."

I was glad, after a dozen seasons, to finally hear a player tell Jeff to shut up (in so many words) followed by a dirty look. Of course, Jeff's response was basically "looks like Jonathan is getting frustrated" which again is uncalled for by a moderator.

He's done this since the first season, so I guess we've all come to accept it for a fact. It may even be written in the rules that Jeff is allowed to bring things to light for the sake of entertainment and drama. It needs to be in the rules because it's unfair to the competitors.
They're simply not playing on equal footing.

Without the language of Jeff being allowed to moderate in this manner in the player contracts, I'd say Survivor is open to a lawsuit some day. After all, Jeff's partiality has reached the point where he's dated contestants, played poker with others. Sure, it was after the fact, but it still demonstrates there is an element of the game that shouldn't be there.

It shows up in every episode. Need examples? Watch practically any challenge. Jeff's incessant "Sundra has found herself a comfortable position" and "Ozzy is fighting to keep his balance" followed by questions while the competitors are obviously trying to concentrate just isn't fair. It never has been.
TC is even worse.
I will say his comments add to the drama and entertainment value. But they definitely take away from the spirit of even-keeled competition. The incredible challenges they have are excellent ... but Jeff's participation should be limited to saying "On your mark, get set, go" and "Aitu wins Immunity."

Finally, don't forget that we're seeing only a snippet of what's happening out there. Who knows in what other ways Jeff has steered the thoughts of the contestants, combatants and jurors?
He has way too much to say and one day some litigiously inclined competitor is going to call him on it.

12-21-06, 10:47 AM (EST)
46. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC is biased and unfair"
It may even be written in the rules that Jeff is allowed to bring things to light for the sake of entertainment and drama.

Oh, I can guarantee there's language in the contract to the effect that "we can edit and show, or not show, whatever we want in order to make a good television show".

But they definitely take away from the spirit of even-keeled competition.

It ain't about the competition, it's about good TV.

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-06, 12:07 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Yeah, I didn't think Jeff should have mentioned it only because Yul set the hat down on the way in before the Jury had arrived. If he had waited until everyone arrived and made a big deal about returning the hat then I think it would have been more appropriate.

I know it's Jeff's job to kind of stir things up and get information out for the jury and such, but this seemed a bit much.

dressed up for the holidays by Tribe

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

12-15-06, 02:02 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Jeff ticks me off more and more each season because he interferes in the game way more than he should. I'm really sick of his play-by-play during challenges, especially last week, when Jonathan's wife realized she could wring water out of her shirt into the bucket. Jeff pointed that out and EVERYONE started doing the same thing. It didn't seem right that she suddenly lost her advantage because Jeff pointed out what everyone else should have figured out on their own.

In the same vein, it's been pretty clear for several weeks now that Jeff was just as against Jonathan as Candice/Adam/Parvati and it was getting really old watching him jump all over Jonathan each week at TC. I think that kind of stems from Jonathan saying something to Jeff at the first IC after the mutiny because of his play-by-play.

Holiday Luna by Tribe|Luna's Eclipses

12-15-06, 07:42 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Actually I can see both sides of the argument with this debate.

I agree that Jeff is doing his job and part of his job description is to narrate and tell it like he sees it.

I also agree that it can be perceived unfair that he calls out a strategy that a competitor thought on their own so the copycat theorum neutralizes that advantage.

What I have a beef with is his inconsistencies in how he calls a challenge. It's no shock or surprise that Jeff has played favorites at times.

Case in point...right after the mutiny, Aitu was in a position where they could ill afford to lose even one IC before the merge. Raro broke out to an early lead dropping the cannonballs to the targets in the ocean. Then Yul discovered the "trick" of using the drop hole as a target to drop the cannonballs and surged into a lead Aitu never relinquished.
WHERE WAS JIFFY'S NARRATIVE SKILS THEN???? How come no "AHHHH, Yul has found a way by using the drop holes to line up the targets..."

And allow me to beat those to the punch who will rebutt by saying, "AAAAAA WELL, maybe Jeff never saw that???" Hogwash, forget it, no way, no how...he saw it. How could he not? Especially with Becky frantically telling the others to keep it quiet and standing up to block Raro's view while Yul was dropping the cannonballs.

THAT'S what I mean by Jeff's inconsistencies. Personally I'm thrilled to death that Aitu managed to get the advantage on Raro and put themselves in the position they are in now.

But it's clear that Jeff's inconsistent interference comes at the expense of paricular players for the betterment of the season.

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-16-06, 02:04 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Aruba, is your favorite movie "JFK"? The idea that Jeff's narration is trying to give some players advantages over others to better ratings is a little out there. Keep in mind that Jeff 1) doesn't know who is going to be around or win at the end and 2) has no idea how the season is going to be edited and therefore he doesn't know who is going to be given the good edits and the bad edits. Lastly, during the boat challenge, Jeff was standing on the BEACH, and therefore no, he probably didn't know what Yul was doing to figure it out. Yul was sitting down at the front of the boat. I doubt anyone on the beach could see what Yul was doing; otherwise, the other Raro members could have yelled to their tribemates and told them what to do!
I guess we only have so many things to talk about, but I think WAY too much is being made of a mostly inconsequential TC. How does Yul lose votes by admitting that he wanted to perhaps "appease" Jonathan? He doesn't. The jury is going to not vote for Yul because he is playing for their vote? Isn't that what he SHOULD be doing? Would he be better off if he acted like he didn't care about their votes? Hardly. You don't have to think fast on your feet when you just say the truth. The truth is always the easiest thing to defend. Everyone keeps talking like Yul made a mistake. I disagree. If Yul tells everyone "I was just trying to be nice. I wasn't trying to get his vote." That could easily have engendered more distrust than simply stating the truth. You cause more damage by playing the game and not admitting you are playing it than you do playing it and simply admitting that you are. Yul doesn't have to worry about people accusing him of "playing the game." He has already admitted that he is. As Parvati said herself, "Yul is playing a seamless game." Is that something to be resented? I don't think so.

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-06, 03:12 AM (EST)
27. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Yul could have deflected the issue by saying "I don't think Jonathan's vote will come down to something as minor as voting for the guy who brought him his hat." Thus complimenting Jon and avoiding commenting on the purity of his own motives.

As KO said, Jeff was within his job, but nevertheless it didn't sit well with me. No right or wrong, but as an audience member, I didn't care for the way it was handled. I haven't cared for Jeff's attitude towards Jon. I'm liking Jeff less and less. And I was never one to be down on him.

I love Phil. Phil isn't full of himself, Phil draws attention to kindnesses in a positive way. I know Survivor is a mean game, but Jeff is working to make it meaner than necessary. IMHO.

12-18-06, 02:33 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
I love Phil. Phil isn't full of himself, Phil draws attention to kindnesses in a positive way.

Phil is narrating after the fact, not as the action takes place like Jeff is. Totally different aspect.

12-16-06, 06:13 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Actually my favorite movie is "Rain Man", and staring at an 8-4 tribal advantage is much easier than counting toothpicks on the floor. You didn't need to see this season played out to know that just ONE IC loss by Aitu at that point and all the twists of the game,i.e. double boot, etc., would not have saved this season from being another Thailand (that most would agree was one of the worst seasons ever.)

I agree that Jeff doesn't know who will win in the end, but not so agreeable as to who will be getting the most favorable or unfavorable edits. You don't think on Pearl Islands Jeff didn't know Ruppert would be getting the favorable edits and Johnny FP would be depicted as the villian? Did he have to watch the episodes like us to figure that out??? Don't think so. Even though Tom Westman dominated Palau you don't think Jeff knew all along that Stephanie would be depicted as the darling of the season? Darn straight he knew.

Jeff's job is to make the season interesting. Raro, who was side by side with Aitu, could not see what Yul was doing because Becky was blocking them. Jeff on the beach was NOT blocked by the frantic Becky. It's not as if the tribes were as far out as Adam & Candace were when the morons decided to paddle their boat with the wind blowing AWAY from the island. Jeff saw but kept his narrative mouth shut for once for obvious reason.

As for your second paragraph, I am in total agreement on your points about Yul at TC. On a sidenote...you honestly don't think Jeff knew at that point that Yul would be favorablly depicted as he has been this season. Did Jiffy need to see the final cuts and edits to figure that out??? I think you already know MY answer!

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-06, 07:38 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
First with the Challenge comments, since most are in voice-over, many could've been recorded months after the season to add flavor to the challenges. We heard Yul say he found a trick so we didn't need Jeff to state it for us. Don't forget, Brad said that challege lasted over 2 hours so Yul's trick also may have profited from the editing. Maybe he found the trick and hit the first target but missed the next 10 just as he would've using the glass. It's possible that we weren't shown those misses since it made Aitu and Yul appear smart! The comment about the family visit challenge was more questionable but Ozzy's mom didn't win because of it.

At TC, you have to expect anything. Yul didn't and his answer was clumsy. If it costs him votes, too bad for him. Jeff's job was to mention it since Yul could've easily let Jonathan know he had been the one to bring it back. How many of you would have complained if Becky had brought back the hat? I'm sure the thread would have many more posters applauding Jeff for calling out the suck-up coattail rider on her trick!

mechemist 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-17-06, 01:03 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
You have to aslo keep in mind that tribal council sometimes lasts several hours and we just see the edited 10 min or so. A lot is said that we don't see, we only see what editors think will make good TV.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-17-06, 01:34 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Welcome aboard! Yes, you're absolutely correct, it is mainly about making TV.

12-17-06, 11:21 AM (EST)
33. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
We've all become WAY too familiar with the "editing" card which is more eagerly played on these boards than Chris Moneymaker playing pocket Aces at the Texas Hold'em table.

There's no doubt in my mind that the challenge lasts MUCH longer than what is shown on TV due to editing. Perhaps Yul found his trick toward the end on the "2-hour" marathon. Everything is speculative, but I stongly doubt that he had a score of misses AFTER he discovered his trick. AHHHH but that's the beauty of playing the "editing" card...it's every posters ace in the hole for which there will be no definite resolution. But one thing is definite--Yul does not NEED any EDITING help to "appear" smart. The man IS smart!

As for the "what if" scenerio should it have been another Survivor who returned the hat would the posters have responded differently. The answer is OF COURSE...it's called human nature. Yul has proven himself to be an honorable, diplomatic individual of integrity. That fact being stated it would be a normal assumption to make that Yul's act was genuine. Had Jeff not brought it up, I highly doubt Yul would have made a general announcement that HE returned the hat to Jonathan.
If the hat was returned by a person who has played the game as a suck-up, most would correctly interpret that act as sucking-up...sounds pretty straight forward to me.

To be further hypothetical, if Candice had a sentimental item she wanted returned and Adam was the "hero" to return it, you would have threads galore on this board stating how Adam wants to "score" with Candice and THAT'S why he did it. And everyone would probabaly be right. So does Yul want to "score" with Jonathan? LMAO...Hardly.

Point being that different individuals have different levels of integrity and have different motives for their actions. Hence human nature dictates you would have DIFFERENT reactions for SAME act depending on who was doing it and be totally waranted in your opinion.

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

12-17-06, 01:49 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
LAST EDITED ON 12-17-06 AT 02:07 PM (EST)

Aruba, I agree completely with you when you write:

>As for the "what if" scenerio
>should it have been another
>Survivor who returned the hat
>would the posters have responded
>differently. The answer is
>OF COURSE...it's called human nature...
>Point being that different individuals have
>different levels of integrity and
>have different motives for their
>actions. Hence human nature
>dictates you would have DIFFERENT
>reactions for SAME act depending
>on who was doing it
>and be totally waranted in
>your opinion.

My point is that Jeff has to treat everyone equally so if he was to call out the other players on their actions, he had to call out Yul. The question was so easy to dismiss with a simple: "I left the hat on the bench because I didn't want to make a big deal about it." Yul is indeed a smart man but his answer reveals that maybe the editing helped a little to make him look more "Survivor Smart!" Yul could've given the hat to a crew member to hand it over after TC. A lawyer should know that you can't do favors for a jury member.

And on editing, all I was saying is that we have to be careful making judgment based only on what we see. As prime example, Forehead found this in the CBS Gallery:

It seems that Yul and Adam had a tie and needed extra time to decide who would finish third as all the other players are watching. How many other scenes are deleted or spliced together to create certain impressions?

Cantstandya: I agree with you on Becky. I used the term since that is how the ones that don't like her see her. Unfortunately, we haven't been shown many confessionals from her to get the full picture.

12-17-06, 05:50 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
Your "prime" example doesn't mean anything. OBVIOUSLY when the crew is out there 24/7 for 39 days and you are only watching an hour a week naturally there is editing. I don't dispute that.

Whether Yul got third place at the initial weigh-in or by virtue of a tiebreaker is irrelevant. So I understand why it wasn't shown. What IS relevant is that he DID get third place and in doing so prevented the skank from succesfully Ho-ing her way in an attempt to flip Ozzy. THAT'S what was relevant.

If you're making a point that Jeff has to treat everyone equally then you should understand my input in this thread that this did NOT happen when Jeff was hush on Yul's strategy during that challenge yet calls out other players strategies in other challenges. Sorry, but that's not MY definition of Equality.

Becky not getting alot of TV time is not "unfortunate". It is merited because she has nothing to offer other than sucking up to Yul. Had it not been for the man wearing the coat (Yul), the coattail rider (Becky) would have been GONZO by day 7 and we wouldn't even be having this discussion about her now.

In conclusion this "whoa is the poor female who can't compete any other way" is as lame as an overcooked noodle. Please spare me. I've got a one word rebuttal for all you -- DANNI.

Sure there are physical challenges that are more catered to the male, but there are challenges that are catered to the female center of gravity where they can make their mark. Then there are the challenges where they take the gender advantage out of it, i.e., the IC where they had to do the math to retreive the keys to raise the flag. Because Adam won that challenge are we saying that women can't perform math, thus they must be UTR coattail riders to advance???? Rubbish.

cantstandsya 48 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-17-06, 11:23 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
LAST EDITED ON 12-17-06 AT 11:27 AM (EST)

Becky isn't a suck-up coat tail rider. I think that unfairly portrays her role in an alliance. Most of the time women in Survivor cannot beat the men in challenges. Unless the challenges are specifically geared for their body type. That doesn't make all women who aren't great at the challenges coat tail riders for being in a strong alliance. Becky and Sundra in the little we have seen of them have played very smart strategically.

Yul has played better strategically and more pro-actively and I would say Ozzy has played inferior to them both in terms of strategy and alliance building. They are all different in the way they play the game.

Being a challenge monster is probably the least strategic way of winning the game. So you could say Ozzy is a coat tail rider in his alliance. Just because he has won a lot of challenges doesn't mean he deserves to win. Terry did the same thing and lost because he didn't have an alliance that would carry him forward when he failed challenge wise.

Wacko Jacko 2438 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

12-19-06, 10:28 AM (EST)
40. "RE: Jeff's interference at TC"
I felt this season Jeff did a little too much suggesting to those at TC what they should do. I remember Jeff telling everyone there that they needed to get the HII away from Yul. I don't believe Jeff should put thoughts in the TC's minds.

12-20-06, 07:47 PM (EST)
41. "Just as I suspected"
Here is a portion of an EW Interview, regarding "The Hat" incident. It's all about the editing & I knew the editing was to throw us to think Yul put his foot in his mouth and wasn't the great orator that we know he is.
The entire article can be found HERE!

For once and for all, did you bring Jonathan's hat to be nice or to be manipulative?

I did it to be nice! I swear to God. I was begging the crew people to give him the hat! In general, the show is very authentic; people don't tell you what to do. That was the only instance where I felt there was some manipulation and I got fed up. I asked the crew at tribal council and even before I left the island, please give this to Jonathan. At one point they said yes, but then left to have an hour-long discussion, and then came back and said, ''You want to give him the hat, go ahead.'' I'm like, what's the big deal? I put it on the jury box before the jury came in so no one would know and then Probst says, ''Yul makes this bold power play!'' I was like, what?

Why didn't you say to Jeff, ''You know the jury wouldn't have known I brought the hat, had you not brought it up!''

I did! They cut all that stuff out. The truth of the matter is, even if I knew Jonathan or anyone in the game would have voted against me, I still would have gotten him the hat. There's no reason to be mean about it.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

12-21-06, 10:43 AM (EST)
45. "And there you have it."
Thank you!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •