The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

aethelstan 4435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-06-03, 00:51 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
LAST EDITED ON 12-06-03 AT 08:53 AM (EST)

If anyone has been wondering about my recent addition to my sig-pic the reason is today. Given Sophie’s post of a couple of days ago, it seems all the more pertinent. It really isn’t my style to pontificate or anything, in fact, I feel uncomfortable doing it, but there are some issues that are too important to stay silent. While I knew that violence against women, esp. domestic violence, was quite commonplace, I was so incredulous that the events of Dec. 6, 1989 happened (and still am); it seemed to me that the very least I could do was to wear the ribbon at this time every year. But more and more I’m feeling like the ’very least’ isn’t very much, so this is why I have posted today.

A little history:
December 6, 1989, on a cold wintery day in Montreal, Canada, 14 women lost their lives in a brutal, devastating expression of needless violence and hatred. The fragile and delicate thread of their lives was cut short at the hands of a man blinded by ignorance. Why? The reason was simple: they were women. Similarly, their male classmates were spared for one reason: they were men.
Full text of this article

Some sites of interest:

National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
Nova Scotia page which includes link to the letter the killer had on his body ‘explaining’ his actions
November 25 International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.
International organization site: whiteribbon
Poster which says: Have you ever noticed that the worst thing you can call a man is a woman? What does that say about how we view women?

Another quality creation by JSlice
Come on men of OT. Post your sig-pic here with the ribbon to show you care. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Edited to fix links. Thanks for letting me know, JV

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: December 6: National Day of Rem... ExInterper 12-06-03 1
 RE: December 6: National Day of Rem... desert_rhino 12-06-03 2
   RE: December 6: National Day of Rem... aethelstan 12-06-03 5
       RE: December 6: National Day of Rem... ashleybfogg 12-06-03 8
 RE: December 6: National Day of Rem... woeisme1 12-06-03 3
 RE: December 6: National Day of Rem... Schnookie Palookie 12-06-03 4
 RE: December 6: National Day of Rem... ashleybfogg 12-06-03 6
 RE: December 6: National Day of Rem... mtopaz 12-06-03 7
 RE: December 6: National Day of Rem... strid333 12-06-03 9
 RE: December 6: National Day of Rem... frisky 12-06-03 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ExInterper 3093 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-06-03, 00:54 AM (EST)
1. "RE: December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
I'm with you. I can't believe I had never heard of that horrible story before. Great info.

Yet another Jslice masterpiece!
But now ExI must go off to bed. He hopes to see many more posts here when he gets up tomorrow morning.

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-06-03, 01:52 AM (EST)
2. "RE: December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
Sorry, I don't buy the premise that men have some intrinsic hatred and violence towards women that, if left unchecked, will lead to whatever...

I don't have that. People I hang out with don't have that.

It's sad that it happened. It's sad that my neighbor got beat by his wife every night. Doesn't make me think that women have an intrinsic streak of misandry.

Besides, NDRAVAW is a silly acronym. (and the link's dead.)

-- JV

YMMV.

aethelstan 4435 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-03, 11:19 AM (EST)
5. "RE: December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
Rhino, I agree with you in that I don't think that men or women are inherently misogynist or misandrist. In fact, I'm pretty sure the opposite is true or else our species would go extinct pretty quickly. I don't think that I implied it either. I also don't think that people are intrinsically homophobic, racist, anti-Semetic or prone to stealing or other crimes either.

All I'm saying is that violence against women exists; it is far more widespread than I had ever thought prior to the events of that day; that I don't condone it in any way, shape or form; and that I hope one day that it will disappear. For the record, I also don't condone homophobia, racism, anti-Semetism and any form of hate crime.

Another quality creation by JSlice

ashleybfogg 2367 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

12-06-03, 01:28 PM (EST)
8. "RE: December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
Yeah. That's what's true and sad. It isn't intrinsic at all. It's taught.

woeisme1 4081 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-03, 02:33 AM (EST)
3. "RE: December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"

I'm not one of OT's men but I'm with ya Stan.

An original Sonny Crockett creation
I was going to refuse to post to you but I realized that if I didn't tell you, how would you know I was ignoring you?--Pythonfan

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-03, 10:16 AM (EST)
4. "RE: December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
Thanks for posting this Stan. Was a very sad day. Nice that people still care.

ashleybfogg 2367 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

12-06-03, 12:29 PM (EST)
6. "RE: December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
Thank you for the post. It is awareness that will help it end. We have organizations trying to bring education to other cultures, and I think of Sophie, and other friends, and remember we still have so much to do here at home.

thank you æthelstan.

mtopaz 2167 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

12-06-03, 12:57 PM (EST)
7. "RE: December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
I had not heard about this particular event, but thank you for bringing up the topic. What a tragedy! Domestic violence is such a dirty secret in many families, and violence begets violence. What happens in your neighbor's house, when it's one person abusing and hurting another - is not "none of our business" because the after effects are like ripples in the water. Woulda shoulda coulda doesn't change what has happened, but all too often when we learn of someone's violent crimes, we also discover they had a violent childhood.

At least this tragedy has spurned some to do what they can to change the world. There is no excuse for hitting, slapping, punching, kicking, pushing, shoving, or otherwise battering your spouse, your child, or anyone in your family. I listen sometimes to Dr. Joy Brown on the radio, and one thing she always says when someone calls about domestic violence, is that the abuser knows what they are doing is wrong. You are not doing them any favor by keeping quiet, or by making excuses for him or her.

Thank you again for posting on this subject.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-06-03, 01:58 PM (EST)
9. "RE: December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
As a girl who just finishing (I write my 2 exams on Mon and Wed) her engineering degree at a Canadian university, I am very aware of the story of the 14 women killed at the Polytechnic and how the guy turned the gun on himself (wacko).

Throughout my degree, I wondered if engineering was right for me. It was very difficult and sometimes I found it to be too much science (and not enough of the other stuff). I chose my major of environmental and stuck with it. (It had the best mix of science with other subjects and worked nicely with my idea of returning to university for a poli sci degree sometime in the future.) These women were part of the reason why I stayed in engineering. They never got the chance to become engineers but I did. I am proud of what I did and everytime I use my right hand, I see the ring to remind me to be a good, vigilent engineer.

Rupert is the perfect Survivor.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-03, 07:54 PM (EST)
10. "RE: December 6: National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women"
Thank you for posting this, Aethelstan. I remember that day vividly. It was a horrifying event. Thank God, I've only known four woman-haters in my life. Not surprisingly, they're all in the same family.

It was nice to see your post and tributes. I've noticed people are starting to take a hard line on the observances that take place on this date. I've heard comments like "it happened, people should just stop dwelling on it, get over it, and move on" and such. I'm even starting to hear that about September 11 memorials. How people can be so cold is beyond me.

Nice to see that peeps still recognize that there are hard lessons to be learned from tragedy, and if we overlook the opportunity to learn, we're pretty much doomed to see these events repeated.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •