The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I need fashion experts advice..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-02-02, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"I need fashion experts advice..."
My firm Holiday party is this Friday. We have been told the dress is "business casual". I have no clue what this means.

For the past three (3) years we have had a formal holiday event. This year I think they are trying to take it down a little. There is a band playing that is similar to the Blues Brothers. That is essentially the "theme" if you so chose to dress this way.

Any suggestions on what I should wear? AND NAILBONE: no teddies or tight tight clothes!!! wink

Thanks.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I need fashion experts advice..... Lisapooh 12-02-02 1
   RE: I need fashion experts advice..... samiam 12-02-02 2
 Ughhhh Business Casual Q 12-02-02 3
 RE: I need fashion experts advice..... jkokoj 12-02-02 4
   RE: I need fashion experts advice..... moonbaby 12-02-02 7
 RE: I need fashion experts advice..... PhoenixMons 12-02-02 5
   Wow jkokoj 12-02-02 8
       RE: Wow Lisapooh 12-02-02 9
           RE: Wow LadyT 12-02-02 10
 RE: I need fashion experts advice..... snoocharoo 12-02-02 6
 RE: I need fashion experts advice..... Drive My Car 12-02-02 11
   RE: I need fashion experts advice..... TechNoir 12-02-02 12
   RE: I need fashion experts advice..... Lisapooh 12-02-02 14
 RE: I need fashion experts advice..... TechNoir 12-02-02 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-02-02, 11:00 AM (EST)
1. "RE: I need fashion experts advice..."
Oh - I live for thresds like this!!!!!

Business casual in the workplace means typically means chinos, etc. But with the Blues Brothers theme, I think you should do something black.

I think a white men's wear shirt would look great if you paired it up with basic black sateen type pants (wide leg is really hot this year) witha dressy shoe or maybe a knee-length skirt if you have it and black knee-length boots.

Men's wear shirts are really popular this year. A lot of them have great detailing like a shirred tuxuedo shirt front or bell sleeeves (not too practical for regular work days, but good for a party). I really like the fancy cuffed ones too. Or maybe try a pastel color with organza or faux fur cuffs - another trendy style that doesn't cost very much. Most of these cuffs are detachable too so you can wear them all the time with out the accents

Romantic white blouses would also look good with a straight leg black pant if you don't have the wide leg) Lots of lace up tops or sheer tops with eyelet detail would look great at your party or out for like dinner and movie too. Also - not too expensive!

I would keep jewelry kind of minimal and understated - some marcasite jewelery always looks great with black and white - as does silver. Either throw on some big silver hoops and a lariat necklace or a maracasite bracelet and earrings and you are done.

OK - this is just one idea - you've got a great figure so you can pull off most anything! If you have anything specific you want to cover up or accentuate - let me know.

Just ask sami - I live for putting together outfits!!!

samiam 5976 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-02, 11:15 AM (EST)
2. "RE: I need fashion experts advice..."
Yes, to this I can most certainly attest. Pooh is THE fashion maven.

(moving boobies are all the rage this year)

Q 2569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

12-02-02, 11:18 AM (EST)
3. "Ughhhh Business Casual"
I feel for you. We are always told business causal for our parties.

Then, some of the ladies at work, and wives, come in black velvet dresses, really fancy cocktail dresses, etc.

The men will come in suits.

Some ladies will wear nice sweaters, etc. and some guys will wear button downs.

I never know what to wear either. no one listens to the recommendations and then others are made to feel uncomforatable because they seem underdressed.

I simply wear a suit and take off the jacket and tie if necessary.

12-02-02, 11:44 AM (EST)
4. "RE: I need fashion experts advice..."
Thanks guys. Lisapooh I was thinking the same as you, definitly black. I have a knee length skirt and the boots. I also have lots of white shirts, but I think I should get something with some lace or ruffles on the front just to dress it up. I have lots of great jewerly and love silver. Know I have a better picture in mind.

Now HOW TO DRESS HUBBY!!!

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-02, 12:10 PM (EST)
7. "RE: I need fashion experts advice..."
Just stopping by to say make sure you wear a top that has some COLOR to it if you have one-one year I wore a cream colored blouse and a long black wrap skirt to our office shindig and I blended in quite nicely with the waitstaff-hey, I made lots of tips that night!

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

12-02-02, 11:46 AM (EST)
5. "RE: I need fashion experts advice..."
First, I am not nor have I ever really been "in the workforce" (after college I got married and couldn't get work because I was too young for jobs requiring a degree - had to be 22, I was 21 - then we moved overseas and I had my baby girl...), so my advice is just based upon my knowledge from what I've seen.

First, just think about the words - business casual. To me, that elicits a picture of button-up blouses (with or without a jacket) and slacks or long skirts and either a pair of basic heels or a nice pair of dress boots (black). Colors/patterns I think that would be most appropriate would be solids (dark is probably better) on the bottom and either solid or a simple thin/pin stripe on the top (coordinating colors, of course)! Sleeves are a must (but it is winter, so I imagine that's not really an issue) from what I hear. Btw, almost all of my nicer clothes (not t-shirs/jeans) are these button-up blouses and slim-fitting pants. my closet is full of those blouses in all different styles, colors YOu really can't go wrong with them as long as they're paired with a dressy pair of pants/slacks/skirt and the right shoes. It's all about the material for the bottoms, too. Cotton, courdoroy, or similarly non-dressy material would be best avoided. Also, open-toe shoes should be avoided in the workplace, but I don't think it would be a big blunder to wear some nice strappy sandals to an office party ;)

Here are some examples of seperates (mix & match ) I personally would wear to a holiday event slated as "business casual":

Tops:
(I want that shirt!)

Bottoms (not necessarily in these colors...black or dark brown would be best):

And here are some outfits that would work well with the right pair of boots/heels (and the right 'do can make or break an outfit, too...upswept hair can make the outfit much more dressy than hair left down, KWIM?):

Hope that helps!

12-02-02, 12:15 PM (EST)
8. "Wow"
I love the red! How about you guys! The simple black and white is what I wear to work a lot of the time. I think color or some frills would work. I have to stay away from open toe heels as I have an achillis problem. I think nice sleek black boots will fit the bill.

Hiya Snooch!

12-02-02, 12:23 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Wow"
I think red would be great - plus more holiday-ish.

Try a red peasant blouse with lots of romantic detailing. Or you can always try a ribbed red fitted sweater to show off yoru boobs (I'd do either a mock-neck or a V-neck - V-necks are so flattering too - mocknecks are classic, but do nothing for most people). Either would look great with a black skirt or pants and some boots.

I'd put on some chandelier style earrings in red and black (I keep pushing those because they are so sexy - especially with your hair pulled up or off your face) and they sell some great charm style novelty bracelets everywhere these days. Get some with black and red beads or medallions.

I'd put your husband in something monochromatic - sleek fabrics in black or grey - open collar shirt, no tie and a big smile.

LadyT 5567 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-02, 02:51 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Wow"
I defer to Lisapooh here but I also have another suggestion. If you can't find a red blouse or sweater, try green. Or even gold. But make sure its not trashy gold.

snoocharoo 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-02-02, 12:05 PM (EST)
6. "RE: I need fashion experts advice..."
Hello Koko, I have no advice for you, just stopping by for a DAW!!!!

**steals a DAW***

Snoocharoo

"NO TIME FOR LOVE DR. JONES"

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-02, 06:56 PM (EST)
11. "RE: I need fashion experts advice..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-02-02 AT 06:57 PM (EST)

You'e gonna look great jKo!

Umm Pooh. I need some fashion advice. Should i swear my black jammie pants with my nascar t-shirt, or my blue jammie pants. Or should I wear my big fluffy housecoat? Decisions, decisions

<----- Owns a kaftan

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-02, 07:05 PM (EST)
12. "RE: I need fashion experts advice..."
The black are definitely evening wear. And the fluffy housecoat should be reserved for tea. Don't you know anything about "outfits" ?

12-02-02, 10:09 PM (EST)
14. "RE: I need fashion experts advice..."
My specialty is accessories hon. Just slip in the Bubba teeth and a belt with your name on the back and a jeff gordon buckle on the front and now one will care what color jammie pants you are wearing. The men at the retirement community you call home will surely fall at your feet.

Oh, and the proper term for kaftans is now patio dresses. Please try to stay au courant. I used the Depression era phrase of your glory years so you wouldn't be confused.

wonders what color Buggy's chaw holder is.

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-02, 07:07 PM (EST)
13. "RE: I need fashion experts advice..."
business casual is what we wear every day ... it has turned into a uniform. Dockers (ick) for the guys with golf shirts. (They are required to have a collar and socks. Rigid rules, eh?)

It actually means that guys don't have to wear a tie and women can wear slacks. In my place that would mean that women would wear those Christmas sweaters, but ymmv.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •