The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Do you Blog?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-28-08, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Do you Blog?"
I am branching out in the New Year and am thinking about creating my own website and/or blog. My question is ... are they the same thing? Can you use a blog as your own personal website?

Can any one explain the difference to me and if any of you are Bloggers, how do you use your blog. Also, how do you go about finding the different blogs that are out there? Is there a directory or index of blogs?

Thanks for enlightening me!! I remain technologically challenged!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Do you Blog? sharnina 12-28-08 1
   RE: Do you Blog? Scarlett O Hara 12-28-08 3
 RE: Do you Blog? buckeyegirl 12-28-08 2
   RE: Do you Blog? Scarlett O Hara 12-28-08 4
 RE: Do you Blog? anotherkim 12-28-08 5
   RE: Do you Blog? Scarlett O Hara 12-28-08 6
       RE: Do you Blog? anotherkim 12-28-08 7
           RE: Do you Blog? Devious Weasel 12-28-08 8
               RE: Do you Blog? anotherkim 12-28-08 9
   RE: Do you Blog? Scarlett O Hara 12-29-08 11
       RE: Do you Blog? anotherkim 12-29-08 12
           RE: Do you Blog? Starshine 12-29-08 14
               RE: Do you Blog? anotherkim 01-01-09 27
               RE: Do you Blog? Karchita 01-03-09 33
                   RE: Do you Blog? Starshine 01-04-09 35
                       RE: Do you Blog? Karchita 01-04-09 43
           RE: Do you Blog? Scarlett O Hara 12-30-08 19
               RE: Do you Blog? anotherkim 01-01-09 28
                   RE: Do you Blog? PepeLePew13 01-02-09 31
 RE: Do you Blog? KwietOne 12-29-08 10
 RE: Do you Blog? Scarlett O Hara 12-29-08 13
   RE: Do you Blog? tribephyl 01-01-09 23
       RE: Do you Blog? Scarlett O Hara 01-01-09 26
 RE: Do you Blog? StarryLuna 12-29-08 15
 RE: Do you Blog? dragonflies 12-30-08 16
 Well... PepeLePew13 12-30-08 17
   RE: Well... Scarlett O Hara 12-30-08 18
 RE: Do you Blog? cahaya 12-31-08 20
 RE: Do you Blog? Molaholic 12-31-08 21
   RE: Do you Blog? Puffy 01-02-09 30
 RE: Do you Blog? Starshine 01-01-09 22
 RE: Do you Blog? ARnutz 01-01-09 24
   RE: Do you Blog? cahaya 01-02-09 29
 RE: Do you Blog? adricharlie 01-01-09 25
 Something for Kimmah Scarlett O Hara 01-03-09 32
   RE: Something for Kimmah anotherkim 01-03-09 34
 Am I stalking? Starshine 01-04-09 36
   RE: Am I stalking? anotherkim 01-04-09 37
   RE: Am I stalking? PepeLePew13 01-04-09 38
       RE: Am I stalking? anotherkim 01-04-09 39
           RE: Am I stalking? Scarlett O Hara 01-04-09 41
 RE: Do you Blog? brvnkrz 01-04-09 40
   RE: Do you Blog? Devious Weasel 01-04-09 42

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sharnina 3083 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-08, 05:41 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Do you Blog?"
I blog (well, sort of) and I have my own website. My website is for the purpose of of displaying my cake photos. I've also used it to make sub-pages for sigs and for family photos, all things I don't think I could do on my blog.

This is for you . I made It a while back and posted it in another topic but I think you missed it.

Shar's World

12-28-08, 05:59 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Do you Blog?"
WoW! Thanks for the gift siggie! I love it!! I shall keep it in a safe place until next December when I'll wear it with pride! Thank you very much!

I visited your blog, too. It is nice. How do peeps go about finding it if they don't see your link? How does one find a blog?

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-28-08, 05:50 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Do you Blog?"
I have a blog...I used to have a website, but I used it to trade romance books. Here is my blog

A Very Nutzy Christmas

12-28-08, 06:04 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Great Blog Buckeyegirl!! Did someone recommend the xanga site to you. How did you decide to go with that Blog site?

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-08, 08:06 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Do you Blog?"

I use blogger's platform on my own domain. It's very easy to use and accessible. Wordpress is another good free one. I've just always used blogger, so I've never changed.

Kimmah Says
--click the kimmah link

12-28-08, 09:05 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Kim-

I love to read your blog! It is awesome! Why all of the trips to England? Are you English? I went to school there for a bit and haven't been back (other than Google Earth). I really would love to go back one of these days.

I think I am leaning towards the Bloggers site. I like the way you customized yours with the Graphics and tabs. That is what I'd like to do to.

Thanks for sharing ... and Happy New Year to you and your boys!

12-28-08, 10:50 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Do you Blog?"

Well, technically I am Englishish--my grandmother's family was on that Mayflower boat back in the day--but I'm a Tennessean for several generations back. I developed a serious case of Anglophilia when I was in high school courtesy of Princess Diana and Duran Duran. My mom took me for my 16th birthday and that hooked me for life. I am lucky to be able to lead school trips to England and other places to feed my need for travel. I also won a fellowship to study for a month at the Globe one summer and last year I cashed in my frequent traveler points for airfare to take my oldest son to England because I'd been promising him a trip since he was about 6.

Did you go to college there? Where? I could just smack myself for not pursuing study abroad in college. HUGE mistake.

I found my basic template somewhere online and then customized it with my banner graphic (if I can make one, anyone can) and headers. If you google "free blogger templates, there are a million options out there.

Visit any time--I'm going to be a better blogger in 2009...really, I am. 2007-08 just sucked for me.

--learning how to code blog stuff via html was a source of much comedic material for me once upon a time.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-08, 10:57 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Do you Blog?"
I studied a broad in college, but nothing came of it.

I concur with the lovely and talented AKim about Blogger. It is beyond easy, and it's popularity means there are a lot of apps that work with it.

There's also Twitter. All the cool kids use Twitter.

Blog? Me?

Corn O' Copia

12-28-08, 11:01 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Do you Blog?"
i still haven't jumped on the twitter bandwagon...mainly because i don't understand it and also because i'm lazy.

--I heart dweeze's blog. it's very entertaining.

12-29-08, 09:28 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Do you Blog?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-29-08 AT 09:38 AM (EST)

Kimmah- I went to University of London Union in Russell Square and also Richmond College in Richmond, Surrey. I have been back to Europe several times but not to England. This is a trip my family and I would like to take soon - crossing fingers for an economic turnaround.

Your writing reminds me a bit of a wonderful columnist in our area of North Carolina. Her name is Celia Rivenbark.

Dweez- You have a great blog as well and I appreciate being educated on Twitter. I think I'll jump into that today and maybe I'll follow you around to see what all the "Twitter" is about. There is another application that goes with it -- it's called Twellowhood. It lets you identify everyone in your locale who is on Twitter, making it "local."

I am jumping into the blogging world. I made my first post last night. I hope to blog mainly about garden design and the elements of design. I'm new at this, so it will take me a little while to get my sea legs, but I'm very excited about it. You can check it out Here.

One last technical question about blogs -- can I create a subscription sign up for an e-newsletter from my blog? Also, Kimmah, I should be able to create a blog with several pages by finding a free blog template with tabs? So Blogger must let me import the template somehow? I would like to have a tab for articles I write.

Thanks for your help!

12-29-08, 09:43 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Do you Blog?"

I've not been to Richmond--it's on my list of places to go eventually. My plan is to take my boys to London to spend a month in a flat one summer. London is expensive to be sure, but if you rent for long term, the rates are much cheaper, and with an Oyster card and a map you can have a great vacation adventure every day for pennies. I'm looking toward summer 2011 if all goes well...which means I need to start saving my money, lol. Airfare will be a major layout.

I love the Russell Square area. I've never stayed there, but I enjoy the atmosphere in that part of the city. I think one of the things I like about London so much is the fact that when you're in Knightsbridge or Southwark or Westminster it's as if you're in a different little city of its own. I spent a month living in Southwark and it was as different from my time in Marble Arch as day was to night.

I'll have to go check out your columnist. I'm jealous of those who can write for a living. I'm just not disciplined enough at this time in my life to make a go of it. That's another goal of mine, though. Wheezy inspired me to just do it. I just have to get the other four or five balls that I juggle in a rhythm first.

Kimmah Says
--you should take your family in '11 when I go and we can go pubbing!!

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

12-29-08, 02:29 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Oooh can I come down the pub with you as well?

FTR Westminster is a city in its own right

I know what you mean about London, I think it is because it is a lot of towns that all joined together. I used to live just off the Caledonian Road (North of Kings Cross) and spent most of my time in Camden and Kentish Town. My friends lived in Manor Park (Best fruit and veg I have ever seen) and in Plaistow, so I tried lots of different areas all different

Next year looks like it is going to be very bad here economically speaking, so 2011 sounds like a good time to come, when everything is starting to get on its feet again.

Have you done the Millennium Eye? I'm not great with heights, but felt I had to take a German friend on it when he came for a visit. A very nice view, but have to admit I was most uncomfortable on the way up.

01-01-09, 11:23 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Do you Blog?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-01-09 AT 11:25 PM (EST)

I've done the eye three times (I think..maybe four?). I think it's a wonderful way to see the city. I actually prefer to go on it at night--the lights are breathtaking. I made the mistake of going when it was raining once--not worth the $$$. I probably won't go on it again in the near future simply due to the price, but I always suggest that folks who've never been go. Oh, and I'm scared to death of heights and won't ride a Ferris Wheel to save my life. The eye is totally okay for me, though. Very stable and you don't have to look straight down unless you want to. You can also sit on the benches in the middle and get a great view.

Kimmah Says
--most people don't realize that London is just the one square mile or that Westminster is a city, etc., so I just make the neighborhood references to keep from being utterly confusing .

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-03-09, 05:42 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Do you Blog?"
With the dollar so strong against the pound these days, I've actually been thinking it would be fun to bolt for England sometime soon. But then reality sets in.

I have a nephew in London who I am dying to see, plus I'd love to usher Starshine out of the MOPS closet. I wouldn't say it is totally impossible for this spring, but presently rather unlikely. Will keep you posted.

Ignoring reality since 1959.

01-04-09, 04:22 AM (EST)
35. "RE: Do you Blog?"
It would be really nice to see you

Have to admit I have put my holiday plans on hold because the pound is so weak at the moment

London is nice, but if you haven't been there are loads of other really nice towns/cities to visit as well.

J Slice what a cool lady

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-04-09, 08:21 PM (EST)
43. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Wouldn't it be fun to have a London peep meet?

One of my brothers has lived there for the last 25 years, so I stop in to check up on him now and then. He's got a two year old now as an added attraction. We also have some dear old friends in Dorset whom we are overdue to visit and I just can't get enough of the grand old English gardens, even in March.

Sissinghurst, Kent in March a couple of years ago:

Nephew :

Delusional since 1959

12-30-08, 10:03 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Hey Kimmah--

When I try to follow you, your URL includes the chat page so it takes me directly to your Chat page and I can't figure out how to get to your main page. I am technically challenged. Got any ideas?

Thanks and good luck with that Baker's cyst! OUCH!

Read me.

01-01-09, 11:26 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Do you Blog?"
I don't know why it is doing that? The main page is the HOME tab and the address is just kimmah.net

Kimmah Says
--the cyst is being a pain in the...knee this week.

PepeLePew13 26140 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-09, 05:32 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Do you Blog?"
The same thing happened to me. When I clicked on the link in my "Stalkworthy Peeps" link, it took me right to your chat page. I deleted the kimmah link, then re-entered it as kimmah.net without any other info and saved it. Then I clicked on the link again and it took me to the chat page.

If you type kimmah.net directly into the address bar, it takes me to your home page. Something's wonky with Blogger's way of saving your link.

Got manged by Slice

Stinky Musings

KwietOne 1111 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-29-08, 00:13 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Do you Blog?"
I blog, but it's private for close friends and family. I don't have a website however.

12-29-08, 01:11 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Do you Blog?"
What about posting photos from the internet on the blog. Would I need to get permission from the photographer. I think that is granted automatically at Flickr isn't it? Anyone got answers?

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-09, 07:30 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Do you Blog?"
It IS okay to use images from the internet BUT...

Don't Forget to Cite Your Sources.

And even more links to answers about free online photos.

Also via weblogs, a list of the top5 freeimage source sites:
1. Stock Xchange
Stock Xchange is a great resource for finding free photos to use on your blog. Different photos have different restrictions, so be sure to check the copyright and attribution requirements before you use a photo. Stock Xchange also includes many photos that are available for a fee.

2. Flickr
Flickr is growing in popularity everyday. To find free photos that are available for use on your blog, begin by searching using creative commons license. Be certain to provide attribution and link back to the source.

3. morgueFile
MorgueFile has a large selection of free photos that you can use on your blog. Typically, you'll need to ask for permission and link back from your blog post to the source.

4. Dreamstime
Dreamstime provides a good selection of royalty free stock photos as well as images available for a fee (as low as $0.26).

5. FreeFoto
FreeFoto offers over 100,000 free photos that you can use on your blog. Typically, you'll have to provide attribution and link back to the source. Most photos include a small watermark in the lower righthand corner of the photo that says "FreeFoto.com" which is fairly unobtrusive.

Thank you weblogs.

What I can say is that there are indeed sites that cater to free-stock-images available for either a price or a promise that you will not use the image for nefarious purposes.
As an image scourer myself, I can assure you that there are millions of royalty-free images of flowers and gardens out there. Be open, link back to the original site or even gain the photographers permission (or the site who owns the images) when possible.

Or hire a photographer.

01-01-09, 09:49 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Tribe ... awesome answers you have there and a fabulous website with all of the facts and answers. I'm going to have to start calling you DR. Tribe before too long! Thank you so much. I'm sure I will find a lot on that website.

I've already decided that my little blog is just that ... too little. I want more power, space and ease of use. So, I'll have to figure out how I can upgrade. Posting there with photos and the html stuff is very hard and time-consuming. So if anyone has any suggestions for an easier to use blog please let me know! Thanks!

FISH by agman

Read me.

P.S. Hey MOLEY ... your link is not working

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

12-29-08, 05:41 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Do you Blog?"
As far as blogging goes, I'm another Blogger user. You can visit me here. Since the baby's been born, I haven't updated as frequently as I used to.

When it comes to a website, what are you looking to do with it? If it's simply for sharing pictures and updates and things like that, you may want to consider using MySpace or Facebook. I used to do a website, but using one of the social networking sites is so much easier.

Place witty comment here.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

12-30-08, 10:26 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Do you Blog?"
I have both. Website for PartyLite business and blog for personal stuff. But I am not actively blogging right now. Got a bit burned out. I did just post a remembrance for a good friend that passed away last Wed, but I don't plan to blog often in the near future.

website
blog

12-30-08, 04:54 PM (EST)
17. "Well..."
...I finally did it. I just joined the blogging world with my own blog. Come check it out at Stinky Musings!

It's kinda milquetoast at the moment, but give me time to get the bile out of my system, especially once I go back to work next Monday...

Got manged by Slice

Stinky Musings

12-30-08, 09:08 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Well..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-30-08 AT 09:09 PM (EST)

Pepe! Welcome to the Blog world, Sugar! I liked it. You & I breakin' the blog ice together! I also checked out Starry Luna's blog -- what a cutie patootie baby! Oh ... I remember those days! Thanks for sharing! And dragonflies' blog/website too. The website was a company website I presume. Something they give you that you have to pay for? I liked its organization.

P.S. I really want to grow my blog into a website I think. We'll see.

Read me.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

12-31-08, 01:08 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Yeah, I blog here, with over ten thousand posts over a few years. I like writing with y'all as we express and debate a lot of ideas and share experiences, often with a bit of wit. OT is pretty much my journal as I, like many of us here, share some aspects of our personal lives and views.

slicey's cahayamanga '75

Molaholic 9015 desperate attention whore postings

12-31-08, 04:24 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Guess what I've done?

Mole Speak

Whoda thunk it?

JSlice. Absolute perfection incarnate. Honestly.

Puffy 6703 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-09, 02:26 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Mole, your link has 4 //// instead of two, so it didn't work. I typed in 2 // and it worked.

An ARNutz Hanukah®Original

01-01-09, 06:11 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Guess what?

http://starlightthoughts.blogspot.com/

One small query my language is "English (UK)" However there is another language called "English - English" Huh?

Oh I think I am blog happy at the moment, I suspect my entries will be a lot less frequent before too long.

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-09, 09:10 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Yes... and this thresd has inspired me to change my template. Blogger is really easy!

I never really shared it publicly here before because I initially thought I would post a bunch of private stuff, kind of like a diary, that I didn't necessarily want to share with everyone, but that's not really what it has turned out to be. It hasn't been that interesting this year. I haven't really had a lot of time for updating. I hope that will change as I should have more time on my hands for now.

*click*

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-09, 01:29 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Do you Blog?"
I'm still at Beginnings, to which you were so kind to comment on. Here, I've got a massive 10K posts commenting and/or joking about virtually anything and everyting, yet I've only posted twice in blogland. I learn from everyone's experiences by reading our blog sites and I could easily journal my family life now as I continue to learn what is important to us. Alas, it seems like I'm not quite yet a blogger. Yet.

Nutzy's White Christmas

No promises from a procrastinator extraordinaire!

adricharlie 1340 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-01-09, 09:25 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Do you Blog?"
After reading this thread and looking at all the blogs everyone else has I decided to go ahead and start my own. I always thought it was one of those things you had to do everyday and I couldn't handle the pressure of that. Now I know better so here goes....

Ponder and Imagine

Courtesy of Tribe....

01-03-09, 01:58 PM (EST)
32. "Something for Kimmah"
Kimmah--

While visiting a friend's blog the other day, I stumbled upon this ...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19219213

It's London calling ...

Couldn't help but think of you.

FISH by agman

Read me.

01-03-09, 06:29 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Something for Kimmah"
that is cute! I think I need it...must send link to mr. kim.

--86 days until I get on a plane!

01-04-09, 04:32 AM (EST)
36. "Am I stalking?"
A question for all of you long term blogger users.

I am a lazy cuss, and so am following quite a number of blogs so that I can just go to one place and see any updates, however whilst Pepe and Scarlett have a number of followers I seem to be the only follower for a lot of peoples blogs (Slicey, Tummy, Nutzy...) is there some rule to following that I don't know. or do people just not use the feature?

J Slice what a cool lady

01-04-09, 01:06 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Am I stalking?"

I don't know anything about following. I used to use blogrolling which would alert me to new blog posts, but it's been on the fritz lately, so I just work my way through my list from time to time. I'm a slug, so I really prefer having something tell me GO READ THIS.

Kimmah Says
--there's stalking and then there's creepy stalking.

01-04-09, 01:33 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Am I stalking?"
Yeah I wondered about that as well, as it seems only the noobies like us have 'followers' but I don't see it on any of the long-time bloggers. Maybe it's just a security blanket for us noobs to feel like one of the big kids.

I'll probably discontinue the 'followers' part in the near future so I would be able to make space for the peeps I'm stalking as my list is already in the 20's. There's still more OTers to find, plus I have some blogs from another place that I occasionally follow so will be putting these up as well.

Stinky Musings

01-04-09, 01:56 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Am I stalking?"
it must be a new feature because I'd never seen it until this thread and I've been with blogger since 2002 or so.

Kimmah Says
--it seems like a lot longer than that...time flies.

01-04-09, 06:39 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Am I stalking?"
Following is a good thing because it gives your blog more exposure in the blog world. Plus any one at my blog Starshine, can click on your Starshine icon and instantly go to your blog. It's essentially a link to your blog.

FISH by agman
Read me.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

01-04-09, 06:03 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Do you Blog?"
I blog much less now that I found Facebook. I was rather gung-ho when I first set up my blog some 3 or 4 years ago. Now I am horrible at updating.

Tribe made me gay

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

01-04-09, 07:30 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Do you Blog?"
Whereas I'm just horrible at dating.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •