The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"History of blacks in the White House"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-08-08, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"History of blacks in the White House"

From a Washington Post article.

A Butler Well Served by This Election

For 34 Years, Eugene Allen Carried White House Trays With Pride. Now There's Even More Reason to Carry Himself That Way.

He saw eight presidential administrations come and go, often working six days a week. "I never missed a day of work," Allen says.

His is a story from the back pages of history. A figure in the tiniest of print. The man in the kitchen.

He was there while America's racial history was being remade: Brown v. Board of Education, the Little Rock school crisis, the 1963 March on Washington, the cities burning, the civil rights bills, the assassinations.

When he started at the White House in 1952, he couldn't even use the public restrooms when he ventured back to his native Virginia. "We had never had anything," Allen, 89, recalls of black America at the time. "I was always hoping things would get better."

Tribe, 2006

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: History of blacks in the White ... cahaya 11-08-08 1
   RE: History of blacks in the White ... Silvergirl1 11-08-08 2
       RE: History of blacks in the White ... CTgirl 11-08-08 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

11-08-08, 01:39 PM (EST)
1. "RE: History of blacks in the White House"
I really enjoyed reading this story.

Alas, you've earned a lime helmet! It was buried in another poly thresd, so perhaps folks who missed it there will catch it here. Definitely worth reading.

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

11-08-08, 02:06 PM (EST)
2. "RE: History of blacks in the White House"

I guess I didn't see that because I wasn't very active on the boards yesterday. I did not see a thread where I thought this would fit.

*adds lime helmet to collection*

Tribe, 2006

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

11-08-08, 03:44 PM (EST)
3. "RE: History of blacks in the White House"
I haven't read all the political threads either, so I didn't see it before.

I thought it was a wonderful read. And I loved the way they used the butler's reminiscing to show how African Americans have gained more power in the Executive Wing of the White House.

Another Tribe Creation

Unlock | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •