The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-21-05, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
My rant about selfish kids again! Kids like this have really got under my skin lately.

Boo hoo, I have homework

Now we know why Americans are so low in the world in education. It was an AP course, if you don't like the homework then don't take it. Oh...if you don't have AP courses you can't get into a good college, ok....everyone gets into the college they want to go to no matter what the admin standards are. Is that what kids what now a days? Once they are there why not just give them the degree while we are at it. Ever heard of working for something you want and earning it?

And what the heck is a law suit going to do in this case? Did they think about bringing it up with the school or the school board first?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... pmspml5 01-21-05 1
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... Fishercat 01-21-05 3
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... HobbsofMI 01-21-05 5
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... anotherkim 01-21-05 29
           RE: Student sues to end summer home... HobbsofMI 01-22-05 62
               RE: Student sues to end summer home... ExInterper 01-22-05 63
                   RE: Student sues to end summer home... Fishercat 01-22-05 64
                       RE: Student sues to end summer home... ExInterper 01-22-05 65
                           RE: Student sues to end summer home... HobbsofMI 01-22-05 66
                               RE: Student sues to end summer home... Fishercat 01-22-05 67
                           RE: Student sues to end summer home... Fishercat 01-22-05 68
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... Fishercat 01-21-05 2
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... pmspml5 01-21-05 4
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... Fishercat 01-21-05 8
           RE: Student sues to end summer home... TechNoir 01-21-05 36
               RE: Student sues to end summer home... Fishercat 01-21-05 38
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... nailbone 01-21-05 6
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... pmspml5 01-21-05 7
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... HobbsofMI 01-21-05 9
           RE: Student sues to end summer home... pmspml5 01-21-05 13
               RE: Student sues to end summer home... HobbsofMI 01-21-05 15
                   RE: Student sues to end summer home... pmspml5 01-21-05 18
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... Fishercat 01-21-05 10
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... nailbone 01-21-05 12
           RE: Student sues to end summer home... pmspml5 01-21-05 14
               RE: Student sues to end summer home... nailbone 01-21-05 16
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... TechNoir 01-21-05 37
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... mrc 01-21-05 11
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... HobbsofMI 01-21-05 17
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... mrc 01-21-05 19
           RE: Student sues to end summer home... HobbsofMI 01-21-05 20
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... Gothmog 01-21-05 21
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... Jims02 01-21-05 23
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... pmspml5 01-21-05 27
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... Wheezy 01-22-05 41
           RE: Student sues to end summer home... pmspml5 01-22-05 56
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... Jims02 01-21-05 22
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... nailbone 01-21-05 24
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... ginger 01-21-05 26
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... tabsmom 01-21-05 25
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... seahorse 01-21-05 28
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... Spidey 01-21-05 33
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... seahorse 01-21-05 34
           RE: Student sues to end summer home... Spidey 01-21-05 35
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... Estee 01-21-05 30
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... Smooth23 01-21-05 31
 RE: Student sues to end summer home... Wheezy 01-21-05 32
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... Gothmog 01-21-05 39
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... Spidey 01-21-05 40
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... Wheezy 01-22-05 42
           RE: Student sues to end summer home... anotherkim 01-22-05 43
           RE: Student sues to end summer home... badger 01-22-05 44
               RE: Student sues to end summer home... Wheezy 01-22-05 45
                   RE: Student sues to end summer home... badger 01-22-05 46
                       RE: Student sues to end summer home... Wheezy 01-22-05 47
                           RE: Student sues to end summer home... TechNoir 01-22-05 48
                               RE: Student sues to end summer home... DataShark 01-22-05 49
                                   RE: Student sues to end summer home... Wheezy 01-22-05 50
                                       RE: Student sues to end summer home... DataShark 01-22-05 51
                           RE: Student sues to end summer home... badger 01-22-05 52
                               RE: Student sues to end summer home... Gothmog 01-22-05 53
                                   RE: Student sues to end summer home... anotherkim 01-22-05 54
                                   RE: Student sues to end summer home... TechNoir 01-22-05 55
                                       RE: Student sues to end summer home... Gothmog 01-22-05 59
                                           RE: Student sues to end summer home... TechNoir 01-22-05 60
                                               RE: Student sues to end summer home... Gothmog 01-22-05 61
   RE: Student sues to end summer home... pmspml5 01-22-05 57
       RE: Student sues to end summer home... Wheezy 01-22-05 58
 SWOOP badger 01-22-05 69

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

pmspml5 3263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-21-05, 02:13 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Having kids that have homework over the summer I have to say that I agree for several reasons. This may be in our area only but my kids have had problems and here is why-

1. If the kids need help there is absolutely no one there to help them or answer questions.

2. The teachers themselves refuse to grade - pregrade or do any work over the summer "it is their vacation".

3. Not all the students are required to do homework - it is selective.

4. 1/2 of their grade for the fall class is based on the summer homework.

The problem with American schools lagging behind is much more then having summer homework.

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-21-05, 02:23 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Great point on #1. I've had work over the summer, and almost all the time, I get horrible grades on it (when I am tested on the material or it is graded) because there is no one to reinforce/correct my ideas as I do it. I had to read Last of the Mohicans over the summer, and I bombed the test. However, I usually ranged 2-3 grade levels higher on books read during school for the same class due to not only teacher availability (and student availability as all are on the same schedule) but consistant quizzes/tests/papers on the material.

01-21-05, 02:25 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
See those are outstanding reasons and I would understand if someone complained and you should but because it stressed him out and took away from his summer. That is so much b.s. that I need a rubber raft.

Plus it was an AP class so it was not required.

Now have you brought these problems up with the school or school board and if so, what did they say?

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 05:15 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Where does it say it was an AP class? I didn't see that in the story.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--I can't even imagine TRYING to give summer homework.

01-22-05, 02:38 PM (EST)
62. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I guess I thought honors and AP were the same....but maybe not

*raises hand* "Teacher Mrs. Kim is honors and AP classes the same?"

ExInterper 3093 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-05, 02:43 PM (EST)
63. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I'm not Kimmah (and I would NEVER presume to speak for her), but from my own experience the two are definitely not the same. Both are generally considered accelerated classes, but honors generally is a little less rigorous than AP classes. Plus, AP classes generally are geared towards preparing the students for the Advanced Placement tests. As an example, I had AP English my senior year and we tended to move through the material more thoroughly than our honors counterparts, as well as spending time taking practice exams.

(c) Slicey 2004
Mmmm...blog.... "Politics or just a game? Well in the end they knew his name." -- Mighty Mighty Bosstones

01-22-05, 03:02 PM (EST)
64. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
ExI, as usual, is correctamundo. I'm not in any AP classes myself (one was offered, and I was not confident enough in my skills to do so, so I went to Honors History, lucky me *sarcasm overload), but in our school's there's a difference. AP is more accelerated (AP US History finishes in two semesters to Honors' 3). The AP class is ahead of the Honors class in material and likely it is more difficult (although the teachers are pretty different, the AP guy could be more liberal then some of our liberalist liberals here). There's also a different in GPA weight in our school. For instance

AP : B :: HON : A- :: CP : A+

Something like that. It's a difference definitely.

ExInterper 3093 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-05, 03:13 PM (EST)
65. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
We had the weighting system too, but ours was less generous.

AP B :: Honors B+ :: CP A- :: General A

(c) Slicey 2004
Mmmm...blog.... "Politics or just a game? Well in the end they knew his name." -- Mighty Mighty Bosstones

01-22-05, 03:22 PM (EST)
66. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
So it is still up to the student to sign up for honor, AP, CP, or regular pre-calc classes and he knew that honors had summer work as part of it.

So if he did not want it then don't sign up for it and he would have a better grade point average to boot.

01-22-05, 04:34 PM (EST)
67. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
That, I can agree on. He was told there would be summer work and he has no case because of it.

Worse GPA (odds are, unless his average rose significantly in a College Prep class), but you don't have to do the work. You and I agree there.

01-22-05, 04:37 PM (EST)
68. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Yeah, my school puts too much emphasis on the weighting system, although it really depends on the teachers. There are some classes where I think the weight is deserved (say, the history class in my school. Maybe not the AP/HON difference, but definitely HON/CP difference), but most of the time, the honors level courses in my school is a joke considering we essentially get two grade levels added to our grade for the class differences.

01-21-05, 02:20 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
At least at my school, Honors and AP are two different beasts. And I also have to disagree on your assessment of colleges, from what I am hearing, the race is more competitive than ever to be the best or the elite. One of the television/news programs did a study on the current generation of teenages, and they were labeled (among many other things) as overachievers.

However, I agree with your message, the lawsuit is ridiculous. It's a 2 and a half month vacation, and it is hard for me to imagine a workload of HW that would ruin even a job as a camp counselor. I can see the kid's argument, but I do not see it holding up in a court of law.

I have to think it depends on the specific workload regarding the case. It would have had to been a massive workload to be difficult to handle over a 10-week period of time.

I had a...let's say moderate load of reading over vacation (450 or so pages of Moby #####/Lewis and Clark over 2 weeks), and it was definitely doable. It took up a few days of my vacation, but it was doable. However, the workload seems heavy considering that, at least for the class that was assigned L&C, a higher level class got nothing from what I can gather.

As a student, I can see the complaint, but it won't happen.

01-21-05, 02:24 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Once again - I have kids that do have summer homework - I dont agree with the lawsuit - unless they have gone to the school board first. We did and they changed the grading rule for it to be extra credit not 1/2 your grade.

For what it is worth my kids were required to read 5 novels and compare contrast all of them by writing a 10 page essay. The shortest of these novels was around 300 ish pages. As an adult I could hardly get it done and I was reading every living momment.

Another requirement was that it had to be done on Word for Windows and given to the teacher on disk. Well I hate to inform people (especially in this room) many peeps in our city just cant afford computers.

I am totally against it if it counts toward your grades. If it is for extra credit - - AND they have someone to help you if you get stuck then go for it. Dont ask the kids to do things your not willing to do yourself. It is not the school districts responsibility to keep teenagers "busy" and "out of trouble" over the summer.

01-21-05, 02:31 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
*boggle at that summer assignment*

Even if they were all 300 pages (just for the sake of easy math) and the summer is 75 days long, that's about 20 pages a day. And you miss a single day? That's 40 pages on one day. Absolutely ridiculous. The 10 page essay isn't that bad, but that much reading over vacation is asinine unless the books are actually interesting, and knowing my HS reading, very few are.

Anyway, I'm just ranting.

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 07:17 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Sounds like about 20-30 minutes work a day. This is hard? I can't remember a week since I was 4 that I didn't read at least one book.

I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

01-21-05, 07:36 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Depends on what 20 pages you have to read. I, for one, am a ridiculosuly slow reader. 40 pages of a book can take me an hour and a half and possibly a lot, lot more if the book has small print and isn't a page-turner. Not to mention, I can't say I know one kid who would be diligent to do that every day, and they would subsequently fall in to a hole.

If you're a fast reader, fine, but if the kids where I go were assigned that much, you wouldn't get 5 readings of a book, you would get 5 readings of the online Cliff/Sparknotes from almost every student. One of my friends, who was anti-Sparknotes at the beginning of the year has no qualms in using them now.

FWIW, my classes this year have turned me so off of reading due to a moderate (IMO) workload that it is just now that I am reading books recreationally again.

And 20 pages a day was a low estimate.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 02:25 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Rather than encouraging him to follow through with this idiocy, this kid oughta be told by his parents, to STFU and do his homework. You signed up for it knowing that summer work was required, so do the f'ing work!

And if you don't like that the extra work is required, take it to the school board. Don't drag the teacher, who's just following the rules, into court for it.

Larson and his son had acted as their own legal counsel.

'Nuff said there.

Handcrafted by Rolly - ain't it cool!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

01-21-05, 02:29 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I agree about the lawsuit - and maybe our experience with this is different. We went to the school board. Never even thought of a lawsuit. However, in our school they never said anything about summer homework when the kids signed up for classes. It was one week before school was out - we got a letter in the mail stating you need to buy these books and do the homework. My kids are not required to buy books during the year - so why during summer.

01-21-05, 02:32 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
What school distric in MI are you in? But you used logic and took it to the right people and it was changed.

01-21-05, 02:42 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I just grew up in Michigan small town called Holly and I miss the small town something aweful - but I live in a northern suburb of Chicago now.

And you know, at first I was much like - ok just do it - until my son "challenged" me to do it with him and I realized - no way - this is tooooo much.

I think it was changed because we were "professional" about out approach. We met with the AP board member liason first and got a time to give our side to the school board. We never said the dreaded "its not fair" or anything negative. Just facts and the vote was unanimous (sp) to change it to extra credit only. The dean of the AP program has not talked to me since. My kids have been harranged by the teachers so we just said screw that - take regular classes. They are going into the military anyway.

01-21-05, 02:49 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Holly is not so small anymore....they are building like mad up there. As for the Dean...he needs a dictionary and look up the word "professional".

01-21-05, 03:04 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I know - when I lived there (way back when) they considered having a parade when they built McDonalds - lmao I went back for my sisters wedding about 3 years ago and just about died.

01-21-05, 02:35 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Same here. There is nothing in the AP, Honors, or College Placement definitions about summer work, nor was there anything in the cirriculum guide. We do have to purchase books during the year, but there was no warning (in my experience) about summer work. I don't mind doing it, but it's the same experience here.

01-21-05, 02:41 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I agree, if there's no warning about summer work, then it is a problem. But as I read the article, they did know ahead of time about the summer work.

FTR, my kids are and have been in AP classes for the past two years, and don't have summer work...yet. But if they do, it will be done. And the whining about it will not go passed our front door.

01-21-05, 02:45 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I felt the same way until my son "challenged" me to do it. It was then I realized 5 novels was to much. I still made him do it - and he was part of the process of getting it changed. Many life lessons he did learn.

01-21-05, 02:50 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
And you went about it the proper way, unlike the aforementioned idiot.

01-21-05, 07:18 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Rather than encouraging him to follow through with this idiocy, this kid oughta be told by his parents, to STFU and do his homework.

I really like it when we totally agree. What is their problem?

I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 02:39 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Dear Mr. Hobbs,

I am considering suing my students for writing poorly failing to think. Should I act as my own counsel?

Thanks,

Disgruntled New England Professor

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

01-21-05, 02:56 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Dear Disgruntled New England Professor,

If the writing poorly lawsuit includes me, let’s talk about an out of court settlement because I know I'm guilty as charged.

Sincerely,

Hobbs

P.S. maybe if I had summer English homework my writing would be better. Yes, I've had had several classes in college and afterward with no improvement.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 03:06 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Dear Mr. Hobbs,

Thank you for understanding my position regarding traditional marriage . . . whoops! Wrong letter!

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
Since I don't have to read your writing and give you a grade, you get a free pass.

01-21-05, 03:18 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I like free passes.....

Gothmog 2886 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

01-21-05, 03:25 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
LAST EDITED ON 01-21-05 AT 03:26 PM (EST)

I'm a teacher who assigns summer homework, for my AP students only. In reference to some of the comments above:

1) They are warned in advance that there will be summer homework; it's on the letter of acceptance into the AP program. When they sign that letter, they agree to the summer work.

2) I'm available for feedback via e-mail. Many students make use of this feature.

3) I certainly do my own work over the summer myself, so that's not an issue. And I do grade their summer work, although it isn't "half their quarter grade."

4) With AP students, it should never be the AMOUNT of work (whether summer or not) but the QUALITY of the work. For me, they read 2 novels (which I consider to be very reasonable; correct me if I'm wrong), but I give them complex writing topics to wrestle with, in response to those novels. Even over the course of the year, I don't load them up with work, but they better be prepared to think deeply and critically when they come to class.

5) Since the students take the AP test in May, I consider that to be their final exam. We relax and enjoy the last month of school, watching some good movies. I regard their summer work, then, to be a replacement of that last month, so they really aren't doing extra work; it was all just shifted a month or so ahead.

I'm ashamed at some of the stories I've read here; if teachers are indeed acting so irresponsibly, you have every reason to be concerned.

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 04:30 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Goth? Is a good teacher.

*adds to file*

01-21-05, 04:58 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
If that would have been our experience then I would have never questioned it. It wasnt though - and as I stated mine coule be a unique experience. My kids read more than 2 novels on their own. Unfortunatly (sp?) this school district is much more concerned about quantity rather than quality. My middle son has always struggled with literature. His teacher's only comments to me where - - he always brings up interesting issues and concerns. Things that I had never thought about before and make me go home and think. Now if a student is making a teacher think then obviously he is doing his reading etc. He got a D on a paper once because our printer was not working and it would not print out. I made him re-write the paper 3 times (about 8 pages) until I thought it was neat enough - emailed the teacher and explained the problem. I also wrote a note. Her only response was - well the rules say it has to be typed and therefor the highest grade he can get is a D. Kinda makes my son want to try hard (NOT) and I dont really blame him. I wish that he had you as a teacher.

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-05, 00:06 AM (EST)
41. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"

There are a lot of options for people who don't have a printer.

You can email your Word file to someone who does have a printer...or email it to the teacher with an explanation that the printer broke and could he/she accept it in this format. You can save it to a disk and bring it to the public library to print.

Incidentally, have you ever been in a store when the electricity goes out, and you really need to buy something, but because there is no power, the clerk insists you can't purchase it because he/she can't get past the logistics of needing the cash register? I'm not talking about the big stores, but a little mom and pop store where all they'd need to do is get out the calculator and figure out the tax, maybe take a note or two about inventory replacement and what category to put it under in the register later when the power comes back. With a little common sense, that clerk could figure out a way to do it. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Or is it 'herd a cat'? I forget.

01-22-05, 06:06 AM (EST)
56. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
You bring up some very valid points.

1. I did email her as stated above but she did not accept that - although I will say again this is a city school and believe it r not most of my kids frinds do not have email - they all have cellphones but not email. So although I tried it the average student would not be so lucky.

2. My kids start school at 7:00 am well before the library opens.

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 04:22 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
LAST EDITED ON 01-21-05 AT 04:26 PM (EST)

1. First of all, a lawsuit is a pretty extreme action for the summer homework problem. Take it to the Board of Education.

2. This is in two parts:
A. If the kid had a choice to take the Precalculus course with the summer, that's his own fault. Do your homework. Complain bitterly in hindsight, but don't sue the freaking school.
B. If the kids are forced to do summer homework, then do the work and complain your butt off.

3. I never was on a Summer Homework system. Except for those 4 novels I had to read in preparation for my Junior AP English course. It's tough to read 10 novels during the school year, when you have six other subjects to do for homework. I knew what I was getting into when I signed up for it. Summer homework. Oh, sure, I complained all the time when my friends were having fun, but I still read the books.

4. Unless it's an English class where you have to read novels, I really don't see the need for summer homework for AP Preparation. If the teacher really knows how to teach based on what AP requires, it summer homework isn't really necessary. It boggles the mind to see teachers teach "AP Courses" but never really touch on what's going to be on the AP Test. They should just call it a "Glorified Honors Course."

My AP Calculus teacher knew those AP test requirements inside and out, and almost a majority of my class got 5's. In fact, after his great examples, I found the AP Test to be almost *easy*

I'm not placing all the blame on teachers, but I've seen too many smart students suffer through an "AP Chemistry" class, only to get a 2 on the actual test. Don't offer AP Chemistry if you're not going to address the AP test.

5. Addressing a "youth laziness" issue: I believe that "smart people" are becoming more and more rabid when it comes to college scholarships, AP Testing, and SAT/ACT scores. There is an unbelievable amount of pressure to do well on these things. I got a 28 on the ACT, and was pretty ticked off about it, because I thought I needed a 32 for such-and-such scholarship.

Some students? Get a full-ride to OSU for being able to bounce a ball, but that's a separate argument.

I was pretty darn relieved to see that $1,500 scholarship from OSU... Oh baby, yeah!

01-21-05, 04:34 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
ON a semi-related note, I SAT'd out of my first semester of college English and was eligible to get out of my second semester, but had to take a departmental test. The test consisted of one essay question:

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

-Alexander Pope,
An Essay on Man, Epistle I, 1733

Take this quote and apply it to a book that you read recently.

Well, I suck at essay tests anyway. Not a good bullsh!tter, believe it or not. And sadly, the only book I read (other than comic books ) that summer was a small Richard Bach novel about an American jet pilot who encounters a Russian fighter pilot while on patrol, and wonders what he's thinking, etc.

Needless to say, I took the English class.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 04:38 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"

I remember my SAT essay question: "'We have seen the enemy, and it is ourselves.' Illustrate, using personal anecdotes." Bleck.

Sneetch has always been in AP classes and has always had assigned summer reading since she started high school.

tabsmom 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-21-05, 04:36 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
"It didn't completely ruin my summer, but it did give me a lot of undue stress both at home and at work," Well welcome to the club kid. We all have stress. Get used to it!

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 05:11 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
LAST EDITED ON 01-21-05 AT 07:09 PM (EST)

There is too much litigation in this country without merit!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 07:07 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
And meritless litigation gets dismissed. And lawyers who bring frivilous suits can be sanctioned. (That's why this non-attorney idiot is acting as his own counsel)

Damage award caps will do NOTHING to stop frivilous suits, in case that is what you were implying. I don't mean to read anything into your words, but that is the same line used by Bush to support damage caps, so I feel compelled to continue my incessant mantra whenever it comes up.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 07:11 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Although I am in favor of tort reform, I was referring specifically to this case.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

01-21-05, 07:14 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I agree this case is ridiculous.

We can have our tort reform debate another day.

Wouldn't so much opposed tort reform if it included reform on the party most responsible for high costs - the insurance industry.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 05:27 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
All I know is that if he wins, I'm starting the lawsuit to get homework banned during the regular school year, too. And after that, I was thinking about making outlines illegal. Plus calculus: that should absolutely be considered as infliction of cruel and unusual punishment. Which brings me to the English Literature textbook...

Smooth23 1244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-21-05, 06:48 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
On an almost completely unrelated topic, I got kicked out of my freshman English class in highschool after just 1 week because I was too advanced for it.

I made just over $200 in 1 semester of my junior year typing out peoples papers for them.. Typing fast in highschool has some great advantages.

01-21-05, 06:59 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"

Kids who want to be involved in high school sports have summer practices.

Kids who want to take a summer honors class ought to have homework. Just my opinion.

In reference to PMS's post, I think it was #2 in your list, I know many, many teachers. Not one of them 'takes the summer off.' A few weeks, maybe. They also don't start at 8am and go home for the day at 3pm with nothing to do. Teachers work hard and many of them put in a longer day than parents can imagine.

Whee-boz

Wheeze * Wheeze's Blog

01-21-05, 07:42 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
My heart belongs to Wheezus.

although I envy her bling

01-21-05, 07:47 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Wheezus loves you.

01-22-05, 00:15 AM (EST)
42. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"

Aww. Heck, you do class research at midnight right here on OT. Many times I've seen you and Kimmah (the two teachers I know the best here--I'm sure there are others) looking for ideas, posting about class issues, searching for information. Sounds like work to me. You guys rarely can hang your teacher hat on the rack (no, not pooh's rack) and forget school the moment you walk in the door. Many teachers spend their own funds to better their classrooms as well, knowing they won't be reimbursed.

Teachers rock.

Whee-boz
And I, as a parent, do not give 'apple' gifts at the end of the year...unless its a gift cert. to Applebees.

Wheeze * Wheeze's Blog

01-22-05, 00:16 AM (EST)
43. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"

I just had to give a shout out to Whee-Boz.

This is me, researching things for my job right now. Really.

--I have a lot of lesson plans to pull from thin air next week. *sigh*

badger 1273 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-22-05, 00:18 AM (EST)
44. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
teachers rock

here here!

says badger, as she spends her friday nite prepping for next week's classes

01-22-05, 00:20 AM (EST)
45. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"

What do you teach?

Whee-boz

Wheeze * Wheeze's Blog

01-22-05, 00:23 AM (EST)
46. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
this term, a comparative literature course called "clowns and tricksters." it's pretty fun -- greek, native american and african mythology, a little rabelais, a little shakespeare, a little vaudeville, some buster keaton, some monty python, some dario fo, some ed abbey.

on her own tangent since 1971

01-22-05, 00:43 AM (EST)
47. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I see.

Whee-boz
So that's what, first grade? Second?

Wheeze * Wheeze's Blog

01-22-05, 00:45 AM (EST)
48. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
It's Shakesus. I wonder what you'd look like with a little bling.

Couldn't be more than fourth.

DataShark 1395 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-05, 00:51 AM (EST)
49. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I need glasses. The Shakesus head goes blurry on me.

It's a graduate course I believe.

01-22-05, 00:54 AM (EST)
50. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
LAST EDITED ON 01-22-05 AT 00:56 AM (EST)

Their They're on top of your head.

Whee-boz
do you have some proof to back that up, mr shark?

edited: good grief, wheezus.

Wheeze * Wheeze's Blog

DataShark 1395 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-05, 00:58 AM (EST)
51. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
No they are not... wait... oh, you're right

Yes, maybe.

01-22-05, 01:09 AM (EST)
52. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
head start, actually. thank goodness, no child will be left behind.

01-22-05, 01:14 AM (EST)
53. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Tell me about it. My 8 yr old went to the wrong kindergarten, and now she can't make heads or tails of Lacan's Ecrits. Her life is over.

I can't see the phrase "no child will be left behind" without thinking of Adah in The Poisonwood Bible.

01-22-05, 01:18 AM (EST)
54. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
You two are too smart for me. I give up.

--I read a John Grisham novel this week. I'm so literary.

01-22-05, 01:23 AM (EST)
55. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
I can't see the phrase "no child will be left behind" without thinking of Adah in The Poisonwood Bible.

I wish you hadn't told me that.

01-22-05, 11:19 AM (EST)
59. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
My bad. Can I ask why?

01-22-05, 11:28 AM (EST)
60. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Cause now I'll think of it too.

01-22-05, 11:33 AM (EST)
61. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Yahtzee!

<==getting into Tech's brain since 2005

01-22-05, 06:17 AM (EST)
57. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"
Weezy - let me reply my pretty.

I agree 100% and do not have a problem with summer homework in itself. I had originally just told my son quit whinning and do it. It was that in this instance, I felt it was the amount and non-support that was an issue.

If you read my post you will see the "its my vacation" is in quotation marks. The is exactly what this teacher said to me. I didnt say it she did.

01-22-05, 10:10 AM (EST)
58. "RE: Student sues to end summer homework in Wisconsin; claims unfair workload"

Yep, I understood that. I'm sorry you have teachers like that. Most of the ones I know would not say that.

Whee-boz

Wheeze * Wheeze's Blog

01-22-05, 07:12 PM (EST)
69. "SWOOP"

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •