The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Bob Murphy died today."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-03-04, 05:21 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Bob Murphy died today."
Original Mets radio broadcaster, worked with the team through last season. Lung disease, just short of his 80th birthday. I never took the retirement 100% seriously because he was still around and there was always a chance he'd drop in for a couple of innings sometime.

Murph was the voice of our hopes and frustrations: never entirely in the homer category, but showing just enough that we knew he was feeling it with us. Murph was the cool dark of one in the morning, straining to stay awake for those last few innings from the West Coast trip. Murph was a little Midwestern, a lot honest, knew when to speak, when to be silent, and how to let the scene speak for itself.

But mostly, Murph was spring.

That's how you knew winter was ending. You turned on the radio and suddenly, there was a spring training game, and Murph was rattling off the three dozen prospects who were rotating through the field, and the score would stop mattering somewhere around the third inning, and it was just you and the radio and a little piece of the world that felt warmer by ten degrees.

Bob Murphy is dead. And spring will come -- but only in the normal way.

I miss him.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •