The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Question for the Canadians"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-06-04, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Question for the Canadians"
I was reading an article, and saw this:

As a member of the Canadian Parliament, Stockwell Day has taken a strong stand for traditional values and democratic reform in his nation's government. He is a member of the Canadian Alliance party and serves as the Foreign Affairs Critic in the Shadow Cabinet of Canada. The task of the Official Opposition's Shadow Cabinet is to keep the government in power responsible for its actions by questioning what the government does.

What is this "Shadow Cabinet"? Tell me more about it. Good idea or PIA?

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs. o-

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Question for the Canadians landruajm 07-06-04 1
 RE: Question for the Canadians dabo 07-06-04 2
   RE: Question for the Canadians PepeLePew13 07-06-04 3
       RE: Question for the Canadians nailbone 07-06-04 4
           Hardly sinister... IceCat 07-06-04 5
               RE: Hardly sinister... Bucky Katt 07-07-04 7
                   Shorter version... IceCat 07-07-04 8
                       Expanded version... PepeLePew13 07-07-04 9
                           RE: Expanded version... nailbone 07-07-04 10
                               RE: Expanded version... PepeLePew13 07-07-04 11
 RE: Question for the Canadians Coconut 07-06-04 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

landruajm 6040 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 12:49 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Question for the Canadians"
They'd tell you, but they'd have to kill you.

And don't think for a second that the Man for the Job will be anyone other than Bucky.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 12:59 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Question for the Canadians"
http://www.infoplease.com/ipd/A0648656.html

shad'ow cab"inet

(in the British Parliament) a group of prominent members of the opposition who are expected to hold positions in the cabinet when their party assumes power.

PepeLePew13 26140 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 05:40 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Question for the Canadians"
LAST EDITED ON 07-06-04 AT 05:43 PM (EST)

Actually, my understanding of the purpose of the shadow cabinet -- at least in the Canadian Parliament -- is for the opposition party to closely monitor how the governing cabinet is doing, and I think it's a good thing to make the public aware of any shady issues that the government might be trying to ram through into legislation with as little hubbub as possible.

For example, there's a Minister of Finance and on the Conservative side (the Opposition), there will be a Finance Critic who is on the shadow cabinet whose job is to jump on the Minister's throat every time he screws up or does something worth questioning. Hey, gotta give the opposition parties something to do and earn their keep from the public troughs.

ŠSlice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
"If you're not confused, you're not paying attention." Tom Peters

07-06-04, 05:58 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Question for the Canadians"
Sounds like, used properly, this could be a good thing.

It also sounds like something that could very easily be abused.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs. o-

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 06:33 PM (EST)
5. "Hardly sinister..."
In our parliamentary democracy, every member of Parliament is elected in a particular riding (electoral district). The political party that gets the highest number of seats in Parliament gets to form the government and the leader of that political party becomes the Prime Minister.

The Prime Minister chooses his cabinet by appointing other elected members of his party as ministers of various departments (Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Defence, etc).

The political party that gets the second highest number of seats forms the 'official opposition'. The head of the opposition party appoints 'critics' from other elected members of his party. The job of the opposition critic is to pay close attention to a particular ministry of the government and to be constantly aware of the current issues involving that ministry.

During question periods when parliament is in session, the opposition critics will challenge the government minister's position on issues and ask questions about how the government is handling the various matters and issues of the day.

In effect, the government has a Prime Minister and his cabinet full of ministers who are in charge of the various government departments who form the equivalent of your 'Executive Branch' of government. The difference is that the members of our 'executive branch' are also all elected members of the legislature.

The head of the opposition party basicaly faces off against the Prime Minister to debate any issues at the top level and the various opposition critics (or 'shadow cabinet') will debate with their corresponding minister for matters specific to a particular ministry.

The only way a 'shadow cabinet' would take over for the real cabinet is if an election were called and the former opposition party won that election and formed the new government. When that happens, the new Prime Minister may consider a member's prior experience as an opposition critic for a particular ministry as a reason for appointing that member as the new Minister for that department.

There is no automatic way that the so-called 'shadow cabinet' would automatically take over from the current real cabinet. There has to be an election for power to switch from one party to another.

Bucky Katt 3146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-07-04, 01:07 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Hardly sinister..."
That's the long version, here is the short one.

Critic: "Your ministry wastes tax dollars and delivers poor services."
Cabinet Minister: "We're looking into it."
REPEAT

"How 'bout a birdy? I got a little birdy right here."

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

07-07-04, 09:04 AM (EST)
8. "Shorter version..."
Did not!

Did too!

07-07-04, 09:18 AM (EST)
9. "Expanded version..."
There was a column in the National Post paper some time ago called "Dear Miss Parliamentary Manners." American politicans could learn something from their Canadian counterparts, no?

Dear Miss Parliamentary Manners,
A recent news story contended that decorum is taking a bruising in Canadian legislatures. The article quoted a Cabinet minister as saying, "There is a certain level of civil discourse to be expected in the house even during heckling." How can you be civil and heckle at the same time?

ANSWER: Actually, it's very easy to hector with ferocity and yet remain civil and mannerly -- once you've mastered the subtle nuances of the parliamentary vernacular.

Expression: "My learned colleague"
Translation: "You cheese-eating throwback"

Expression: "If the honourable member will forward his request to my department, we will provide the relevant documents"
Translation: "Talk to the hand"

Expression: "I would be happy to address the member's question"
Translation: "I yearn to bleach your skull and use it on my desk as a novelty pencil holder"

Expression: "If the member had concerns, he should have made them known at the proper time"
Translation: "Your mother didn't have any complaints last night"

Expression: "Mr. Speaker, the people of Canada deserve an answer"
Translation: "Leave my mother out of this -- I swear, I'll cut you!"

Expression: "I am outraged by your craven duplicity!"
Translation: "I'm not really upset; I just wanted to get on the news. Want to have dinner tonight?"

07-07-04, 09:37 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Expanded version..."
Those are hilarious!! My fave:

Expression: "If the member had concerns, he should have made them known at the proper time"
Translation: "Your mother didn't have any complaints last night"

Handcrafted by RollDdice

07-07-04, 09:38 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Expanded version..."
Yup, that sure was an unintentionally funny innuendo gone astray.

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 11:10 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Question for the Canadians"
Stockwell Day = PIA

Wait, was that the question?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •