The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-24-06, 09:22 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
NEW YORK (AP) - As CBS prepares to launch a new season of the hit reality show "Survivor," this time featuring teams divided by race, enraged city officials are saying it promotes divisiveness and are calling for the network to reconsider.

"The idea of having a battle of the races is preposterous," City Councilman John Liu said Thursday. "How could anybody be so desperate for ratings?"

For the first portion of the 13th season of "Survivor," which premieres Sept. 14, the contestants competing for the $1 million prize while stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific will be divided into four teams - blacks, Asians, Latinos and whites.

Liu, who is Asian-American, said he was launching a campaign urging CBS to pull the show because it could encourage racial division and promote negative typecasts. He and a coalition of officials, including the council's black, Latino and Asian caucus, planned to rally at City Hall on Friday.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20060824/D8JN3OQ00.html?PG=home&SEC=news

But, the four of us had a great time.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 and so it begins............ vince3 08-24-06 1
   RE: and so it begins............ nazpink 09-15-06 37
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... tribephyl 08-24-06 2
 Morons infiltrate NYC government AyaK 08-25-06 3
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... tribephyl 08-25-06 4
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... michel 08-25-06 5
   RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... JohnMc 08-25-06 6
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Brownroach 08-25-06 7
   RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Estee 08-25-06 8
       RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Tennessee Tashina 08-26-06 9
       RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... silentJ 08-27-06 13
           RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... mysticwolf 08-29-06 20
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... CattyChat 08-26-06 10
   RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... michel 08-26-06 11
       RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... CattyChat 08-27-06 12
           RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Brownroach 08-29-06 27
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... kingfish 08-28-06 14
   RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Spanky68 08-28-06 15
       RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Kermit the Vixen 08-28-06 16
           RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Spanky68 08-28-06 18
               RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Kermit the Vixen 08-28-06 19
                   RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... mysticwolf 08-29-06 21
                       YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!! Kermit the Vixen 08-29-06 22
                           RE: YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!! Spanky68 08-29-06 23
                               RE: YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!! Snidget 08-29-06 24
                                   RE: YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!! Spanky68 08-29-06 25
                                   RE: YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!! mysticwolf 09-02-06 28
                           RE: YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!! fairyprincess 09-15-06 38
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Snidget 08-28-06 17
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... MM 08-29-06 26
   RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... mysticwolf 09-02-06 29
       RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Sues 09-04-06 30
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... newsomewayne 09-06-06 31
   RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Estee 09-06-06 32
       RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... newsomewayne 09-06-06 33
           RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... Estee 09-06-06 34
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... kingdom2000 09-08-06 35
   RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... soundasleep 09-14-06 36
 RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull n... RonReports 09-17-06 39

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 09:24 PM (EST)
1. "and so it begins............"
this might be Survivor's "jump the shark" season yet!

Because 3 Vinces are better than one.

nazpink 1058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-15-06, 07:35 AM (EST)
37. "RE: and so it begins............"
Well, I most certainly hope that this gentleman watched last night's episode. It was clearly stated that the division of the tribes based on race was a non-issue for the contestants. A bit shocked, yes they were, after all it hasn't been done, but overall they see the point as winning the money and taking out those who stand in the way of that whether they are purple, pink or blue. In fact it seemed to me that anything racial will be more within the tribes than it will be during the merge. I really think this is all being blown out of proportion. If anything of a difference comes out of this game being set up the way it is, it will be the need to "represent" and defeat typical stereotypes which could make for more effort and less UTR play. What I would like to know is where were these complaints when tribes were first seperated by gender then later seperated by both age and gender!!??? Why didn't anyone find that to be offensive?

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 09:41 PM (EST)
2. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
Still feel your EastCoast bias, PRE?

Loving the left coast, more then ever.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

08-25-06, 01:00 AM (EST)
3. "Morons infiltrate NYC government"
We in Boston always knew New Yorkers had to be morons because they root for the Yankees. Nice of them to prove it in print.

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

08-25-06, 05:01 AM (EST)
4. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
LAST EDITED ON 08-25-06 AT 05:02 AM (EST)

Since when did AsianAmericans start launching campaigns?

I thought only old white geeky men did that.

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

08-25-06, 08:28 AM (EST)
5. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
Someone sees the idea as preposterous and launches a campaign that gives it free publicity. How can someone be so stupid? Oh! right, he's a politician, so it's publicity for himself also! Your money at work, New-York!

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

08-25-06, 04:16 PM (EST)
6. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
Actually, it's quite shrewd. He promotes himself. He promotes Survivor.

Maybe he's looking to be a contestant!

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

08-25-06, 05:07 PM (EST)
7. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
Mark Burnett must be loving this.

I have to admit, the separated-by-race idea seemed cheesy at first but now I'm kind of liking it. What this idiot fails to realize is that the contestants themselves are probably not going to sweat the premise much. I'm assuming MB didn't cast 20 racists who are going to be spewing epithets at the other tribes at every challenge.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

08-25-06, 05:23 PM (EST)
8. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
No, but you could probably get a pretty good bet down on four: one for each tribe.

Tennessee Tashina 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-26-06, 01:01 AM (EST)
9. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"

>Thank goodness that this is the 21first century & lets all hope that people can at least live in peace in paridise !

silentJ 336 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-27-06, 08:09 PM (EST)
13. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
doubtful. Probst has said in an interview that they were very careful not to include anyone with even the hint of racist leanings. That's why the entire cast is from Califormia. As everyone from California an New York knows, everyone not from those 2 states are redneck racist hatemongers that want Bush to kill the world for the glory of Jesus.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-06, 00:06 AM (EST)
20. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
LOL. Too bad you're probably correct.

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-26-06, 07:23 PM (EST)
10. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
Why can't people be more open-minded and not make huge issues over stuff like this. I am really interested to see how this season plays out and how the contestants react and interact throughout the game.

People in every day life "segregate" themselves. I have some close friends who are Korean and when I go out with them (frequently) everyone jokes that I am the only blonde/caucasian in the mix. Same with my African American friends & other "minority" friends. A lot of people associate with those of their own ethnic background, but that's not an issue. So why is this a big deal, since it's not demeaning any particular race, it's just splitting them up and putting all through the same Survivor experience?

Small-minded people.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

08-26-06, 08:02 PM (EST)
11. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
I agree CattyChat that it shouldn't be an issue even if in real life it is by individual choice. My concern is the following; what if one group pagongs all the others? Will we hear about that race's supremacy? It could get distateful.

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-27-06, 05:28 PM (EST)
12. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
You make an interesting point, Michel, and I figure that no matter how this season plays out there are going to be people making issues out of it.

I am actually really anxious to see this season start. I expect there would be even more "Tribe unity/loyalty" this season as I think the segregation would make each tribe want to represent for their ethnicity. I saw an interview with JP in which he declares this season as a great "social experiment" and I think this will addd even more layers to the game this season than what we have seen in the past. Viewers may change their thoughts of "stereotypes" after seeing a season with higher numbers of minorities playing.

Who knows what will happen? I can't wait to see it before I pass judgment. People who jump the gun and want to dismiss this idea & start petitions, etc. before they even see how it is handled and what results from it are just being ignorant, IMO. Of course there's plenty of ignorance going around in the government & people in "official" capacities.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-06, 02:53 PM (EST)
27. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
I expect the people who are up in arms about this have never seen the show. We all kind of "get it" because we know how the show usually plays out, and this installment is likely not going to be any different, ultimately.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

08-28-06, 08:36 AM (EST)
14. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
A racist/racial controversy? And no one is kicking the South around?

That's different.

Liu "and a coalition of officials, including the council's black, Latino and Asian caucus, planned to rally at City Hall on Friday."

Where is the Caucasian caucus? Where is their outrage? And the Southern Caucus (OK, there's a small kick)? And the Canadians, where is their anger?

(This presents no problem in my view. Rather than teams from four, say states, or colleges, or age/sex groups (like last year), or whatever, we have four teams from four gene pools).

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings

08-28-06, 12:09 PM (EST)
15. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
I LIKE the idea of teams based on states or colleges. How about a Texas vs. California Vs. New York Vs. Ohio Survivor?

Or a Went to College tribe vs a Went to Work tribe?

I like those a LOT. Even if that wasn't your intent.

Kermit the Vixen 1639 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

08-28-06, 02:37 PM (EST)
16. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
Yeah... kinda like the "Book Smarts" v. "Street Smarts" on The Apprentice.

I vote for a tribe full of parents of teenagers vs. parents of toddlers. As a mother of 5 teenagers all living under one roof, I can tell you that if I can survive teenagers, I can survive anything. Those toddler mommies won't know what hit 'em once I pull out my "Teenager Master Manipulation Tactics" or "How to Justify Absolutely Anything."

And I fully understand now why some animals eat their young. God help me.

08-28-06, 04:19 PM (EST)
18. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
I am in the "dads of preschoolers" tribe then. My big parenting fears at the moment: getting seperated from my 5 yr old at the mall, worrying the other kids in kindergarten won't like him or that he won't want to go to his under-6 soccer game next week.

My fears in 10 years: that he will find me at the mall and want to come home. The kids will like him too much in high school, in ways that might make me a grandparent and that he will care too much about sports and not enough about the stuff that really matters.

That tribal split would be cool, though.

08-28-06, 10:42 PM (EST)
19. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
HAHA! That reminds me of a time my husband and I ran into some acquaintances at a local martini bar. We have teens, they have toddlers. We were telling them how upset we were to discover that my 15 yr old son had decided it would be so cool to spray an anarchy symbol onto his carpet with Axe deodorant body spray and see if they could light it on fire (they could - they videotaped it, idiots). The whole carpet had to be replaced - we took his bedroom door off the hinges for two weeks.

They listened to us with their jaws open, and then said "Gosh... and to think our big crisis today was that we had a serious talk with our 3 year old because she called me a poopy head."

I nearly fell off my chair laughing. Oh, if only the worst of my problems was being called poopy head.

Voted "Queen Biyotch" by 4 out of 5 household teenagers. The other one stayed in bed until 2:00 p.m. and missed the voting altogether.

08-29-06, 00:16 AM (EST)
21. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
I think I like you.

Pack Alpha Status Accorded by Tribe blogging's scary
Wanna trade? Your teens for my 37 yr. old nephew (currently living with us). I'm not entirely certain who'd get the worst of it.

08-29-06, 00:37 AM (EST)
22. "YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!!"
I can have them all packed within 30 minutes from when they leave from school. They don't need to bring much since they sleep in whatever they're wearing, don't wear their own clothes preferring instead to swipe someone else's under the "Finders Keepers" principle (even if they find it hanging neatly in my closet), and don't do anything for entertainment other than iPods, PSPs, or XBox. Come to think of it, I'm sure I heard one of my teens say at some point that all they need to live contently is an iPod video so that one is good to go.

Word of advice: Stock plenty of snacks. Don't bother with actual meals, they won't have an appetite for it and it will all smell and look like puke anyways (so they say). Just snacks. All day.

Oh, and I'll give you a heads up in advance. When you run out of clean towels, you'll find them all in a heap on the 14 year old's bedroom floor. Don't worry though. They're still clean. He only uses them once and then discards them.

Directions please?

**doing a Happy "They Are So Out of Here" dance**

08-29-06, 10:25 AM (EST)
23. "RE: YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!!"
I agree it sounds like a good deal, but it sounds too good to be true. Ask this before you sign in blood:

A) how many kids come WITH the 37 year old nephew? He's had time to be a grandpa already.

B) How many felony convictions does he have?

If those answers satisfy you, sign away.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-06, 10:32 AM (EST)
24. "RE: YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!!"
That and remember for each year past 21 someone gets 14-17 year old annoying behavior patterns gain a 15% or more increase on the annoyance scale.

Trust me hearing that they not know how that pot got in their jail cell from a 50 something year old man is indeed that much more annoying than hearing that they do not know how that pot got in their locker from a 15 year old kid.

It's a tribe creation!

08-29-06, 12:31 PM (EST)
25. "RE: YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!!"
Stupidity in a teenager? Comes with the territory. I certainly was, almost all of them are.

Stupidity in a person almost 40? Really, really sad.

09-02-06, 06:26 PM (EST)
28. "RE: YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!!"
"That and remember for each year past 21 someone gets 14-17 year old annoying behavior patterns gain a 15% or more increase on the annoyance scale."

Yep. He doesn't do drugs (other than tobacco), and doesn't drink (except incredible amounts of Mt. Dew), and he's never had any felony charges, much less convictions.

But, other than that he sounds pretty much like her teenagers. Which, at his age, is incredibly annoying.

Presumably, her teens can learn. Obviously, he never has. And, at his age, I can't smack him upside the head anymore, much as I might like to sometimes.

fairyprincess 262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-15-06, 09:05 AM (EST)
38. "RE: YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!!"
>I can have them all packed
>within 30 minutes from when
>they leave from school.
>They don't need to bring
>much since they sleep in
>whatever they're wearing, don't wear
>their own clothes preferring instead
>to swipe someone else's under
>the "Finders Keepers" principle (even
>if they find it hanging
>neatly in my closet), and
>don't do anything for entertainment
>other than iPods, PSPs, or
>XBox. Come to think
>of it, I'm sure I
>heard one of my teens
>say at some point that
>all they need to live
>contently is an iPod video
>so that one is good
>to go.
>
>Word of advice: Stock plenty
>of snacks. Don't bother
>with actual meals, they won't
>have an appetite for it
>and it will all smell
>and look like puke anyways
>(so they say). Just
>snacks. All day.
>
>Oh, and I'll give you a
>heads up in advance.
>When you run out of
>clean towels, you'll find them
>all in a heap on
>the 14 year old's bedroom
>floor. Don't worry though. They're
>still clean. He only uses
>them once and then discards
>them.
>

LOL Kermit. I am in your same boat and can relate to most everything you say, cept' my 14 yr. old son is a jock so instead of obsessing over his IPOD (which just went through the wash and no longer works), he has to have a football, LaCrosse Stick or some other form of athletic device in his hands and/or flying through the air in my lving room breaking all my collectibles at ALL times.

I got a good laugh from your post..........oh and yes, I can faintly remember the days of one of them fingerpainting off the paper and onto the table as one of the days bigger problems, those were the days!

FP

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

08-28-06, 02:52 PM (EST)
17. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
I did hear one report that gave me the giggles.

The way it was reported that this group was protesting made it obvious they do not understand that the show has already been filmed. The people are home, the sets are gone, etc.

I mean the editors of reality TV are good, but how the heck would they recreate the whole show with different teams from film they already shot? I know there have been a few color the buff pictures to hide swaps and stuff, but the amount of editing it would take to pretend they didn't divide the peeps up that way would be obnoxious.

MM 4 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-06, 01:56 PM (EST)
26. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
I was a little put off when I heard about the new season. But really, people in this country choose to segregate themselves everyday.

Separate is still equal, right?

09-02-06, 06:32 PM (EST)
29. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
LOL! One year at the company Christmas party senior staff decided that having everyone segregate themselves (blacks w. blacks, whites w. whites, wage w. wage, mgmt. w. mgmt., etc) at the tables wasn't in the spirit of the occassion. So, they purposly mixed up the groups and had place cards at the tables so each table would be a mixture.

OMG, you would have thought we were asking folks to slaughter and barbecue puppies for their dinner.

No one ever suggested a repeat of that "experiment in brotherhood" again.

Sues 585 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-04-06, 00:53 AM (EST)
30. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
I think by the time one 'tribe' can become seemingly dominant, they'll switch it up and do some merging....

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings

09-06-06, 11:26 AM (EST)
31. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
If you really want to see the racism in this show, check out the color sand on their respective beaches. Notice who gets the white sandy beaches, the yellow sandy beaches, and the gray sandy beaches. There's your racism, folks.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

09-06-06, 11:53 AM (EST)
32. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
If there's black sand anywhere in this show...

...no, it's just a coincidence. Really. Pure coincidence. We know when he started and we know when I started. Just dumb luck.

(Right?)

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings

09-06-06, 12:35 PM (EST)
33. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
And let's not forget about who's ethnic group isn't in this edition of Survivor. I didn't see Kayser's sister on any of the previews or commercials. Did you? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...interesting.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

09-06-06, 12:45 PM (EST)
34. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
Oh, that's just Janelle's fault.

(Isn't everything?)

kingdom2000 4 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-06, 02:00 AM (EST)
35. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
Is anyone complaining about this season actually watched Survivor in the past? Usually for all of three evictions (if that) there are more then two teams. Afer those three, it then emerges to the traditional 2 teams. BFD. Before anyone can draw some kind of racial conclusion (why they would beats me) it will become irrelevant. Its all a bunch of silly noise and if they where really "offended" they wouldn't be giving CBS and Survivor these millions of dollars in free press.

soundasleep 1 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-06, 11:06 PM (EST)
36. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
Am I the only one who has already figured out what they're gonna do later in the season? I thought of it right away. No inside information mind you, so this isn't a spoiler, just a prediction.

They're gonna mix up the teams half way through. Then they'll say' "See, it's a real social experiment."

I'm telling ya...

SA

RonReports 218 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-17-06, 09:07 PM (EST)
39. "RE: NYC officials ask CBS to pull new Survivor"
>"The idea of having a battle
>of the races is preposterous,"
>City Councilman John Liu said
>Thursday. "How could anybody be
>so desperate for ratings?"

Don't blame an entire city just because one political hack refuses to accept Reality. If he would have bothered to watch the first episode before he foolishly criticized this show, he would understand how educational Survivor is. In the first episode, with Flicka's help, viewers learned the answer to the ancient riddle: why did the chicken cross the road?

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

To avoid becoming that night's dinner.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •