The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What will you miss most?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

bentherdunthat 518 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-24-06, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bentherdunthat Click to send private message to bentherdunthat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"What will you miss most?"
NOw that the third (and presumably final) season is complete, what will you miss the most about SO?
I will miss a show about women supporting each other. Granted, the decline of SO began in the middle of last season, but when it started, it was this incredible testament to the power of women. Let's face it ladies, even the best of us get caught up in bringing out the worst in each other. We fall prey to gossip, jealousy, judgement and petty rivalry all too easily. This show (in it's conception) showed us that we can overcome that dark side of our nature and when we do, we are unstoppable. (It was also one of the few places on television where black women were shown in a realistic and positive light, as opposed to the Maury Povich, Jerry Springer "baby mama drama" CRAP that fills the channels-and how refreshing was that?)
So if this is indeed the end, I'm sad. I admit that I've watched this season mostly for entertainment as opposed to enlightenment, but at one time this show was a strong catalyst for change in personal lives and reminder of the power we hold as women-especially when we turn towards each other, rather than against.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: What will you miss most? eire_heart74 05-24-06 1
 RE: What will you miss most? creepyoldwoman 05-24-06 2
   RE: What will you miss most? bentherdunthat 05-25-06 10
       RE: What will you miss most? GoodnightLittleBear 05-25-06 12
       RE: What will you miss most? beckettrep 05-29-06 15
 RE: What will you miss most? SOfan0221 05-24-06 3
 RE: What will you miss most? MizJazmine 05-24-06 4
   RE: What will you miss most? smokeysmom 05-24-06 5
       RE: What will you miss most? Shazbot 05-24-06 6
 RE: What will you miss most? speechprof 05-24-06 7
 RE: What will you miss most? chocolatetwin25 05-24-06 8
   RE: What will you miss most? robynrit 05-24-06 9
       RE: What will you miss most? bentherdunthat 05-25-06 11
 RE: What will you miss most? GoodnightLittleBear 05-25-06 13
 RE: What will you miss most? beckettrep 05-29-06 14
 I will miss Dr. Stan! imagma 05-29-06 16
 RE: What will you miss most? jonimoni 05-29-06 17
 RE: What will you miss most? lvlinda 05-30-06 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-24-06, 03:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: What will you miss most?"
As silly as it could get, I will miss the fact that it made me think. Even if I was just thinking "oh this exercise is stupid, she would be much better off doing blah blah blah."

Until this season, there was always at least one woman on there that I could relate too. At least twice a week a topic would come in group that was interesting in what was said or what was advised. So I could take something away from that.

If only they didn't go for the gimmicks!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

creepyoldwoman 104 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-24-06, 03:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail creepyoldwoman Click to send private message to creepyoldwoman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What will you miss most?"
At the very least, the show gave me a lot of starter topics to discuss with people with whom I had some problem with. By seeing these issues actually addressed on television, I was able to bring them to the surface for myself. I really think this is one of the best shows on tv. I can't believe snail eating Fear Factor, which runs before it and degrading Jerry Springer which runs after it, by me, will still be around and SO will not be.

I am glad to see women portrayed as people, for once, on tv.

Yup, I will really miss it all. Not exactly specific hg's but the whole show itself. The fact that I actually did get beneficial advice on all different levels, will be missed.

05-25-06, 11:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bentherdunthat Click to send private message to bentherdunthat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: What will you miss most?"
I agree 100% creepyoldwoman. I cannot believe that shows like Springer and Fear Factor are still on the air, while a show like this goes in the crapper. What does that say about the American viewing audience?

GoodnightLittleBear 461 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-25-06, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GoodnightLittleBear Click to send private message to GoodnightLittleBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: What will you miss most?"
Most people who watch Starting Over are women who either work and tape it, stay at home moms or retirees. I think it proves that these people know when they are being conned and are not watching it for the conflama. At least they have a bit more sense than the people that buy into Springer, which everyone knows by now is also staged and is just plain trashy. The majority of Springer viewers are men in the 17 to 35 range. Go figure.

beckettrep 814 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-29-06, 06:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: What will you miss most?"
>I agree 100% creepyoldwoman. I cannot
>believe that shows like Springer
>and Fear Factor are still
>on the air, while a
>show like this goes in
>the crapper. What does that
>say about the American viewing
>audience?

Well I think, for one thing, it says that people can't stand dishonesty. At least Springer (and Fear Factor) are honest in their objectives. The audience they garner watch those shows for what they are, unlike SO where women watch the show for what it purports to be, only to be disappointed and disillusioned upon discovering that the show is a sham.

SOfan0221 828 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SOfan0221 Click to send private message to SOfan0221 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: What will you miss most?"
Once I get thorugh SO withdrawals, I plan on doing something constructive with that hour of my day. Since I work, I usually taped the show and watched it from 7-8pm, unless of course American Idol was on and then I watched it after AI.

Now when my husband and I go out to eat during the week I don't feel like I have to rush home to watch SO.

I will miss the things some of the houseguests do and say that pertain to phases of my life. For instance, could totally relate to Candy last season who wante to help her adult kids instead of letting them go through it alone. I took Iyanla's advice to heart and cut the cord to my adult kids, and we are all happier for it. It is hard, but sometimes when you struggle to get through something you appreciate it more.

I took notice of all the assignments that the HG's were given and where appropriate put some of them in my life to get over bad habits.

Overall I will miss Dr Stan, Iyanla and Rhonda. Will not miss Andy Paige and her clown costumes.

Will miss having a place to admire, vent and discuss things that happen on the show.

I think SO is one of the best things to happen to daytime TV, although season 3 in my opinion was the worst of the seasons shows because it became so commercialized and I thought it got away from the premise which is women helping women.

MizJazmine 532 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MizJazmine Click to send private message to MizJazmine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: What will you miss most?"
For me I initially really liked the show until they did what I call a "bait & switch". For me that happened in the first season, but I continued to watch because of the issues the women bought into the house and I wanted to see how they processed through.

I watched this show through a lot of different lenses. As a black woman, it was the first show I've ever seen where they actually took everyday women including black women and put them in a living "therapeutic" environment where they all had to be vulnerable. I saw a lot. At times it was affirming and validating to me as a black woman, and at other times I just felt ashamed. With Kimberlyn I felt hurt. I really did. The way SO did her really pierced my heart and I never NEVER saw this show the same way. Whatever I felt in the beginning for SO, I couldn't get it back. The truth is that I never trusted the show after that. SO did exemplify for me that we are all individuals and that each woman was representative of herself and only herself. I also appreciated the VARIETY of black women they had on the show, not just one "type" although that could kinda be debated.

What I will miss the most will be the SO threads and posters. Being the insomniac that I am, there were soooo many nights that I would come to this board and just read the SO threads without posting (no never mind I posted a lot!). There were soooo many insightful, intelligent, humorous posters. Many times I sat reading and nodding my head in acknowledgement and affirmation. Many times I'm glad I wasn't eating or drinking anything, because they had me laughing out loud for real!!! There are truly some comedians amongst us. There were times when I disagreed, but those posters gave me a different perspective that I hadn't considered. There were those who were more brave than I could have ever been on this board and shared their own personal experiences.

All in all it was ALL good. So I'm gonna miss these particular posters as a whole because there were times for me that I enjoyed the board MORE than I enjoyed the show.

smokeysmom 184 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 06:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smokeysmom Click to send private message to smokeysmom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: What will you miss most?"
MizJasmine -- you said it perfectly. I will miss the show very much just based on the premise that women -- and a diverse cast of women -- deserve a show that reflects some reality about ourselves.

Most of all I will miss the intelligent, thoughtful AND thought provoking posts from the "real" real women out there. Amazing how much smarter and more compelling they always were than the scripted / edited show.

Regretfully, within the few times that I've posted -- I've frequently run amok of the moderators for following or responding to a "wrong" thread! Hope this doesn't happen here -- but, if it does. I just want the moderators to know they made me feel small / unsavvy and stupid -- but the posters always made me feel glad to be here.

Shazbot 226 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-24-06, 06:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shazbot Click to send private message to Shazbot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: What will you miss most?"
Smokeysmom - don't feel "small/unsavvy and stupid". It's happened to all of us. The boards just wouldn't have been what they were without the rules.

What I will miss the most are the boards... and also the idea that there's a show somewhere where women are living in a nice house and trying to address their problems. I'll miss the house drama. (But then again, I've been missing it all the most since season one).

speechprof 50 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-24-06, 07:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail speechprof Click to send private message to speechprof Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: What will you miss most?"
You know,it didn't really hit me until today when I saw the last season/series? episode. But I will miss the show, even with the cheesy editing, bait and switch, etc. I still watched it. And I think, I even learned a few things about myself along the way, which is something considering the state of television now. So, I'm going to miss my daily routine of watching the show and that saddens me. Bye, bye SO. . . I'll miss ya!!!

chocolatetwin25 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-24-06, 07:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail chocolatetwin25 Click to send private message to chocolatetwin25 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: What will you miss most?"
I am so saddened that Starting Over may not be returning for a fourth season! I also like most, taped every episode I could not watch. I was drawn to this show from the very beginning because I knew that only women living in one house would call for nothing but DRAMA and that was mostly what I tuned in for. I have to disagree that the show declined because for me it got better, especially when they brought Iyanla and Dr. Stan on board and got rid of Rana. I will miss everything about Starting Over. I really hope that they reconsider cancelling it. I can't imagine the fall line-up without it!

robynrit 65 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-24-06, 08:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail robynrit Click to send private message to robynrit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: What will you miss most?"
Boo Hooooo

Hokey or not, I always took something away from each show...even if it was just a little tidbit that I could apply to my life. I'm going to really really miss it.

Dr. Stan was such a great addition! I wish he could've been there the first season with Lori and Andy etc. I'll miss him the most. He's a "what-a-guy"

05-25-06, 12:02 PM (EST)
11. "RE: What will you miss most?"
Absolutely..as stupid as this season got there was usually at least one gem you could take away.

GoodnightLittleBear 461 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-25-06, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GoodnightLittleBear Click to send private message to GoodnightLittleBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: What will you miss most?"
This whole season had become such a farce, I don't think I will miss a thing. I tape the show but I find myself fast fowarding through it because it has become nauseating at times. It all seems so contrived and scripted that I find myself not believing anything.

beckettrep 814 desperate attention whore postings

05-29-06, 06:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: What will you miss most?"
>NOw that the third (and presumably
>final) season is complete, what
>will you miss the most
>about SO?
>I will miss a show about
>women supporting each other. Granted,
>the decline of SO began
>in the middle of last
>season, but when it started,
>it was this incredible testament
>to the power of women.
>Let's face it ladies, even
>the best of us get
>caught up in bringing out
>the worst in each other.
>We fall prey to gossip,
>jealousy, judgement and petty rivalry
>all too easily. This show
>(in it's conception) showed
>us that we can overcome
>that dark side of our
>nature and when we do,
>we are unstoppable. (It was
>also one of the few
>places on television where black
>women were shown in a
>realistic and positive light, as
>opposed to the Maury Povich,
>Jerry Springer "baby mama drama"
>CRAP that fills the channels-and
>how refreshing was that?)
>So if this is indeed the
>end, I'm sad. I admit
>that I've watched this season
>mostly for entertainment as opposed
>to enlightenment, but at one
>time this show was a
>strong catalyst for change in
>personal lives and reminder of
>the power we hold as
>women-especially when we turn towards
>each other, rather than against.
>

What I will miss most is the authenticity of Season 1 (even though I only got to see it during summer re-runs). As for the rest of the seasons (2 & 3) there's not much to miss

imagma 33 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-29-06, 07:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail imagma Click to send private message to imagma Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "I will miss Dr. Stan!"
Dr. Stan had a genuine interest in helping the women and was not there for his 15 minutes of fame.

jonimoni 136 desperate attention whore postings

05-29-06, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jonimoni Click to send private message to jonimoni Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: What will you miss most?"
I have missed the realism since the end of the first season. They put a soap opera producer in charge and changed the whole direction of the show. It became more and more about Queen RHONDA and more and more about shameless self promotion of the house guests. I remember the realism of Lori and the changes she made in the first season and nothing in the latter seasons could even begin to touch it. We all watched spitupLisa get away with her idiocy and just like soap queen Erica Kane, nothing ever happened to her....she was there for us to hate....and watch. We waited and tuned in daily to see her get what she deserved and just like on a soap, it never happened, and she never learned a darn thing from the "sacred" process. Sickmaking, when you think how the show started out. So what will I miss? I will miss coming here to complain about it, whine about the women and laugh at the antics and talent the women here on the boards bring to this posting process...thanks all for the fun!!! I will miss YOU!

lvlinda 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-30-06, 01:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lvlinda Click to send private message to lvlinda Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: What will you miss most?"
I will miss all of you on the boards...

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •