The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

pmfmpls 149 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-23-06, 03:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pmfmpls Click to send private message to pmfmpls Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
I watched Oprah's Legends Ball, and noticed Iyanla was no where in sight. I know she was a former Friend of Oprah; why no more? Perhaps IV is NOT the graceful motivator and gift-to-the-world that Oprah originally thought?

Oprah has gotten good at shunning people who try to fool her (i.e. James Frey) and perhaps IV tried to toss just a little too much voodoo nonsense her way.

What does anyone know?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Labyrinth 05-23-06 1
   RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? alaholly 05-23-06 2
       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? GoodnightLittleBear 05-23-06 3
           RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? MizJazmine 05-23-06 4
               RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Shazbot 05-23-06 5
               RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? SOfan0221 05-23-06 6
                   RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Labyrinth 05-23-06 7
   RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? AshLanie 05-28-06 31
 RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? VelvetElegance 05-23-06 8
   RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? phlinky 05-23-06 9
       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? VelvetElegance 05-23-06 10
           RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? pmfmpls 05-23-06 12
       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? SOfan0221 05-24-06 15
   RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Labyrinth 05-23-06 11
       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? shawnar 05-23-06 13
           RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Labyrinth 05-24-06 16
       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Redbud 05-24-06 18
       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? beckettrep 05-29-06 36
   RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Ujena 05-25-06 27
 RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? eire_heart74 05-24-06 14
   RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Shazbot 05-24-06 17
       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Labyrinth 05-24-06 19
           RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? VelvetElegance 05-24-06 20
               RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Labyrinth 05-24-06 21
                   RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? VelvetElegance 05-25-06 22
                       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? GoodnightLittleBear 05-25-06 23
                           RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? VelvetElegance 05-25-06 24
                               RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Labyrinth 05-25-06 25
                                   RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? VelvetElegance 05-25-06 28
                                       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Labyrinth 05-25-06 29
                           RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? AshLanie 05-28-06 32
               RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? beckettrep 05-31-06 37
           RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? SOfan0221 05-25-06 26
               RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Labyrinth 05-25-06 30
                   RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? SOfan0221 05-28-06 33
                       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Zoey 05-29-06 34
                           RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Shazbot 05-29-06 35
       RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? beckettrep 05-31-06 38
           RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? Shazbot 05-31-06 39
               RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O? pmfmpls 06-01-06 40

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Labyrinth 1248 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-23-06, 04:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Oprah is no longer the friend of Iguana. You can do a search on Google with Oprah and Iguana's name and it will give you some limited information.

JMO but I'm sure Iguana started telling Oprah how she new it all and Oprah who doesn't like to be second banana to anyone shut her out. I also know that Iguana had another television show and it was cancelled early on. Just go do an Internet search.

Rumor and discussion has it that Iguana has also ticked off Barbara Walters.

She just wants to bat 100.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

alaholly 497 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-23-06, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail alaholly Click to send private message to alaholly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Just a guess but Oprah wanted "Legends" and potential Legends she called "Youngin's" (or something like that) at her celebration and Iyanla doesn't fit either category. She is a wannabe.

I'll check the web Lab, but did Iyanla do something specific to alienate Oprah?

GoodnightLittleBear 461 desperate attention whore postings

05-23-06, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GoodnightLittleBear Click to send private message to GoodnightLittleBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
I think Iyanla fits in the "neverwasneverwillbe" category. She is like a third rate Dr Phil and we know Oprah has a soft spot for Dr Phil and wouldn't want to be associated with such a hack like Iyanla.

MizJazmine 532 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-23-06, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MizJazmine Click to send private message to MizJazmine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
hmmmmm...my understanding of the whole Oprah and Iyanla thing was that Oprah wanted to do for Iyanla what she ended up doing for Dr. Phil, but Iyanla said NO. Iyanla said no because she didn't want to be viewed in Oprah's shadow. About this same time Barbra Walters was courting Iyanla. To my knowledge Oprah gave her blessing, and told Iyanla to be "careful" because of the "business" of television. Oprah controls her own show. Iyanla didn't have that kind of controlling interest in her show. As a result Iyanla's show failed because IMO it wasn't authentic and Iyanla was gutted so to speak.

Also Iyanla showed up on Oprah's show at a time when Oprah was going through her new age phase. I think when Dr. Phil showed up, he basically jolted people back to reality and he had the credentails and experience to do it. I haven't seen many if any of those guru's on Oprah's show since. The only professional I see on Oprah's show now is Robin and she's a Ph.D.

Shazbot 226 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-23-06, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shazbot Click to send private message to Shazbot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Hmmm... I always had it that Oprah was giving Iyanla a big chance to be on her show, and that Iyanla at the same time was secretly developing a show for herself on ABC... Oprah was slighted and then shut Iyanla out. (At least the way I thought it went).

SOfan0221 828 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-23-06, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SOfan0221 Click to send private message to SOfan0221 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
I basically had gotten the same info, I heard Oprah was grooming Iyanla and then along came Barbara Walters. Barbara gave Iyanla a show and then tried to change her look, her dress, etc. Obviously didn't work, show is off the air and Iyanla still does her own thing.

05-23-06, 06:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Let's face it - Iguana also told the SO crew that she would break her contract and not come back this season. They had to capitulate and give her some things in order to keep her "happy" - article here at RTVW.

JMO but I think that is why she has been SOoooo over the top this season - why she has been abusive to HG's, why she goes off about how her views of the Universe.

This lady is Out of Control. If Oprah had any sense she cut the cord because she didn't want to be associated with such a whacko with her "spiritual psychology" degree.

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings

05-28-06, 06:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-28-06 AT 06:59 AM (EST)

Should ahve read the posts before replying....no sense in repeats...chuckling

VelvetElegance 72 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-23-06, 09:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VelvetElegance Click to send private message to VelvetElegance Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-23-06 AT 09:52 PM (EST)

There's been much speculation as to the reasoning behind the demise of that friendship. The way I understand is basically Oprah gave Iyanla a mainstream (read white) audience. Sure, Iyanla was already a best selling author and motivational speaker but she wasn't known outside the blk community (yes, I am black). During Oprah's 1997-1998 television season, she began experimenting with segments you all may remember called "Remembering Your Spirit" and the larger theme of her shows that year called "Change Your Life". Does any of this ring a bell to you folks?

Anyways, that year Oprah got real preachy with they new-agey stuff and the self help gurus. John Gray of Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus fame was a regular guest. The whole theme of her shows that year was different and IMO much more like what Iyanla spouts now on SO with the whole universe crap and all. That was the year Oprah introduced her to her audience and gave her a regular segment. I have to admit, she was compelling to watch. I even saw her when she was on tour the next year. After a being a featured guest on Oprah as you might imagine, her stock sky rocketed. Suddenly other people began to take notice. This was also during the time when there were something like 23 or 24 other talk shows on television with everyone competing for Oprah's audience.

Barbara Walter's production company approached Iyanla during the summer hiatus about doing a show that next year. Iyanla did the honorable thing and told Oprah about it. Oprah advised her against it and told her that if she decided to do a show with Barbara she would regret it because she wouldn't have much say and they would try to change her. She warned her. She also toook it a step further and offered her the opportunity to develop her own show under HARPO studios where she would probably have more control. Well for whatever reason Iyanla went with Barbra Walters' company and just as Oprah predicted, they tried to change her..first her appearance..her voice..her spiel (like it or not) and ultimately, her show became a watered down version of every other talk show that was on television and was canceled after only a few months. Iyanla's show was no more and neither was her relationship with Oprah. As I understand, she has since apologized and tried to make ammends, but the damage has already been done. It was no surprise to me that she was not there last night.

phlinky 75 desperate attention whore postings

05-23-06, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail phlinky Click to send private message to phlinky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
My daughter found 2001 article from Newsweek about Iyanla. You cannot believe how "mainstream" she looks. The article was all about Barbara Walters and Bill Geddie, who is the executive producer of The View and was of Iyanla's show.

I didn't even recognize her without her dreads.

05-23-06, 09:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VelvetElegance Click to send private message to VelvetElegance Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
See what I mean..She went from how she looks now with her Yoruba Priestess garbs and African robes and dreads to some sort of bad press-n-curl almost overnight which is not an easy thing to do (well).. Which is is exactly what Oprah said they would make her do. Iyanla has written about this in various columns and in Tavis Smilely's anthology. I'm no Iyanla fan by any stretch of the imagination but I can definately give her credit for humility. Either that or Oprah really is god...LOL...

05-23-06, 10:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pmfmpls Click to send private message to pmfmpls Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Thanks for the insight Velvet.
Oprah, if not god, certainly wields a mighty influence...

05-24-06, 08:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SOfan0221 Click to send private message to SOfan0221 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
If I recall correctly, Iyanla speaks very candidly of this incident in her book, Yesterday I Cried. I don't have the book in front of me but as I recall Iyanla said that she was so unhappy with the show under Barbara's direction (this would have been pre-The View) that while sitting in her dressing room she called Barbara a name. Iyanla still had her microphone on, Barbara heard what she said. The show was never renewed.

As for Oprah, it sounded as though Iyanla left on a bad note but that could have just been the way I read it.

05-23-06, 10:05 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Thanks for this info Velvet. I suspected as much but have not read a lot on it.

I get tired of the power that Oprah has but I guess I'm alone on that.

shawnar 366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-23-06, 10:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shawnar Click to send private message to shawnar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
No Lab you are not alone!

05-24-06, 12:24 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
LOL - well the day she is off television for good wouldn't be a day too soon.

Sorry but I am not a Dr. Phil fan either - confronting the violent husband on national television is going to save the wife? Nope it's all ratings and nothing healthy or healing about it.

Redbud 573 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-24-06, 06:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Redbud Click to send private message to Redbud Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
>Thanks for this info Velvet. I
>suspected as much but have
>not read a lot on
>it.
>
>I get tired of the power
>that Oprah has but I
>guess I'm alone on that.
>
>
>

No, you are not alone. I'm constantly amazed at how people worship Oprah. Sheesh, she's just a person, not God Almighty! By the way, Was Oprah's Legends strictly for black women??

beckettrep 814 desperate attention whore postings

05-29-06, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
>Thanks for this info Velvet. I
>suspected as much but have
>not read a lot on
>it.
>
>I get tired of the power
>that Oprah has but I
>guess I'm alone on that.
>
>
>

No, you're not alone. I, for one, can't stand Oprah. My sister lives in Chicago and went to one of Oprah's show and she reported back to me just how snitty and 'full of herself' Oprah really is. Just the fact that NO ONE has had their face on the cover of Oprah's 'O' magazine except Oprah herself says a whole lot (to me at least). I haven't watched Oprah since she berated a young bi-racial girl for not calling herself 'black' and, in essence, thus denouncing the white side of her parentage. The girl was made to feel (or least it appeared she was TRYING to be made to feel) like she was a fraud because she didn't just present herself as a Black woman to the world. I was thoroughly disgusted with Oprah's 'know-it-all' attitude and obvious sense of racism - that was enough of Oprah, for me, to last a lifetime.

Ujena 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-25-06, 08:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ujena Click to send private message to Ujena Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw Barbara Walters on Oprah's "Legends" Show. If I'm correct, why would Oprah have Ms Walters and not Iyanla? I personally like Iyanla, not all that found of speaking to the universe per say but I do like alot of what she says. I like it when she speaks and encourages growth and insight from a biblical stand point. I have been curious about where she stands on biblical spiritual isuses, that would be an interesting conversation!

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 07:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
I'll take a Dr Phil over IV any day! I think anyone can see that he's a man of pratical advice and ideas. Which for most Americans is the way to go. The woman that is verbally abused by her husband needs a Dr Phil to say "you either get it or you don't" rather than shouting to the universe.

I think IV's thing or whatever you want to call it has a place in this world. It's just not pratical for day to day living. I think she's a great story teller and motivator but when it comes down to real therapy and planning real life choices, it's not her area.

05-24-06, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shazbot Click to send private message to Shazbot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
I second that Shawnar - Lab, you are so not alone!

Sofan - the mic incident rings a bell.

And thanks for the rundown Velvet.

"... segments you all may remember called "Remembering Your Spirit" and the larger theme of her shows that year called "Change Your Life". Does any of this ring a bell to you folks? "
----------------------------------------------------------------
- Oh yeah. For sure. And now I view that and think, it's all so pure compared to now, with Oprah. But the person I remember with disdain from around that time is Gary Zukov, the reformed sex addict who thought he could explain to everyone how to live their lives.

That was the year Oprah introduced her (Iyanla) to her audience and gave her a regular segment. I have to admit, she was compelling to watch.
---------------------------------------------------------------
- I have to agree. I thought Iyanla was fabulous.

I feel like Iyanla had a crisis of ego, and made the wrong decision to go with ABC. It's really too bad. But then I wonder, could the two strong women have co-existed together anyway?

I have to admit I'm getting tired of Oprah putting her mark on every important event in history. I know they are important, but I just don't understand why she thinks she needs to latch onto Anderson Cooper, and now accompany Elie Weisel to Aushwitczh. Some events stand alone as important all on their own without Oprah's stamp of approval IMO. And leave Anderson Cooper ALONE... stop patronizing him on your show and lessening his effect by telling us we should all be affected by his reporting.

I think the tide had turned for Oprah when author Jonathan Franzen (is that right?), The Corrections, a best selling NYTimes author all on his own... refused to participate in Oprah's book club. 'I'm a successful author, who toils over my writing, and I need your stamp of approval because???...'

05-24-06, 08:01 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Iguana and Oprah are two Big Egos and I can't imagine them getting along for any time period irregardless. And it's BARBARA WALTERS AND OPRAH who tossed that chick off The View (isn't it? I don't watch popular crap so I have a vague memory of them both squeezing this black woman off a trendy show).

Iguana wants to think she is up to the weight of Stardom the magnitude of Oprah but guess what? Her website sucks, her Life Coach skills are pretty pathetic (let's remember her success with Christina the ho), and her television stardom has now ended with a whimper.

I don't watch Oprah but the last time I caught a glimpse of her show - maybe five years ago? - she was obviously so bored out of her head she was sneering at her guests and running down her speech to the camera with an attitude of why the h*ll am I here? that I thought whoa!

05-24-06, 08:49 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
I think there's a place for both Dr Phil and Iyanla..Let's remember that Dr. Phil is actually a Dr..as in Ph.d as in licensed psychologist..Iyanla is a lawyer as in she completed four years of law school..As far as I know she never took any state bar. Let's also remember that this whole "Life Coach" thing is new..I mean who ever even heard of such a thing..Iyanla's strengths are clear..She's a compelling author and story teller. She has an innate ability to command an audience in a way that cannot be taught or trained. For these reasons, coaching probably is her best suit..You know who I thought was an ideal coachee for her: Reign from season 1. She had a tangible goal where the outcome was real. It wasn't some universe-asking pie-in-the-sky-put-me-on-a-bulletin-board type goal. Reign simply wanted to make the transition from welfare mom to being self sufficient. This would have been perfect for Iyanla because she could actually coach her about interviewing and staying focused and things involving good work ethics. None of this other candle lighting-your-father-was-a-bum-so-you-can't-hold-a-job-let's-hold-an-exorcism-foolishness.

I digress.

My point is, Iyanla is good at motivating women. When you see her speak live, she certainly has a way with women. When you cut through all the esoteric crap, she has some intrinsic value. She's sold thousands of books and her columns are read by both women and men. SO is DEFINATELY not the right venue for her to peddle her wares.

05-24-06, 11:36 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Iguana is a Motivational Speaker. That is all I will give her.

Does she have any education or TRAINING that would allow her to be a counselor for a recovering alcoholic? Or a drug addict? or someone who was raped? someone who had been molested by a father?

No all she has is LIFE EXPERIENCES. And though those may be worthy, they are not why I would seek someone to counsel me. I could go down to any prison and find people with LIFE experiences and get their LIFE stories.

I've had experience with both pyschologists and psychiatrists and with LPC's and MSW and the works. Iguana is not even in the class of a intake assessment personnel.

Yep she can get people worked up and shout to the universe but let's look at her track record of "helping people."

Allisham? Was any of this women's narcisstic baby behavior as well as dependency on alcohol and suicide thoughts addressed? Has any of Allisham's problems improve? Oh Iguana got her to declare bankruptcy and signed her up for a Masters program for a Spiritual degree at an unrecognized university. Smoke and Mirrors - lots of carnival mirrors with this "case."

Christina - remember Iguana clasping Christina the girl-child-ho to her bosom? So what did Christina do? fool the SO production staff, screw a married man, run back off to bumf*ck and get a job at Hooters. Wow! Iguana was so mad/ashamed/embarrASSed that they haven't invited the whore back to ANY reunion.

Let's see LisaTwo - we went through the lesson of the week with the new instructor to get her to realize joy and her body. Was Tony ever brought to the SO house although Iguana was fixated on Lisa2 staying with Tony? Nope. And when Lisa left she only discussed her daughter.

Jill - let's be thankful that Iguana, with her bad advice about toting around luggage and doing an obstacle course didn't kill this 300 pound woman, blind in one eye, with high blood pressure and a tumor(s).

Antoina a success? Niambi a success? ROFLMAO!! These women were given their 10 seconds of fame on SO and if Iguana impacted their lives well, golly they must be really desperate is all I can write.

There's a sucker born every minute and Iguana with her charismatic personality can start her own little church of followers. I'm sure some of them can fall down in the aisle and speak in tongues praising her.

I won't be one of them.

Where I live Charismatic Church Leaders are a dime a dozen. Iguana better just take a number because God is too busy trying to avoid personal phone calls from Oral Roberts, Billy Graham, Richard Roberts and the rest of the crew. Oh I've seen it all and in person, up front and with all the right little words...

"in the moment" - "standing in my truth" - "authentic"

Hand over the barf bag...

And let us ALL PLEASE REMEMBER... Iguana told the SO producers she would not come back to fulfill her contract unless they gave her more control... so this entire season where we have seen her honk her emergency horns for fake fires, and declare there was a fake earthquake was ALL HER OWN DOING.

05-25-06, 02:09 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Labyrinth,
Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. In answer to your first question about her training, you are right. And while it has been well established and even more thoroughly documented on this very board how inadequate Iyanla is at "counseling", BM wanted her on the show not solely for her couseling prowess but also because of her ability to draw in women. Most ppl had never heard of Rhonda Britten before SO. Many more however, had heard of Iyanla Vanzant. Love her, or hate her, as a production company who's main goal, contrary to what we may think is not to help the women. That goal is secondary. The main goal of Bunim-Murrary is to attract advertisers to make money so that they can continue to generate television content. One of the ways to do that is with a marquee name. Iyanla was that name.

I think we (myself included) continually make the mistake of comparing what Iyanla does with therapy, which is not hard because Iyanla presents herself as if she is some sort of therapeutic practictioner. Once we keep in mind that first and foremost Iyanla is an author and motivational speaker it might be easier swallow what she delivers on SO. She has succeeded at what she has done for so long, she's probably begun to believe her own hype. And who can blame her? For the ppl who are highly open to suggestion, she's just what the dr ordered.

SO has never tried to pass what they do off as therapy. They'd be subject to lawsuits all over the place if they did. We as viewers can look at their own track record as a measure of success. As you mentioned:
Allison
Cassie
Tess
Towanda
Christie..
The list goes on an on..

My main point was just to clarify the real point of the show..First make money. Second help the women.

Lastly, I think the way they handled Niambi proves my entire premise. It was clear from day one that they were not going to be able to get her graduated in three weeks. Instead of parading endless reams of old HGs through the house again for the benefit of advertisers/viewers (see the theme here), they should have had Niambi in that house as soon as Lisa left. Cassie's issue's were no nearly as important. But because the audience already had a relationship with Cassie, they felt like reintroducing her to us just in time for what...Feb sweeps..(again with the theme).

So yeah it sucks to say it but BM used the women to make money for advertisers which isn't a bad thing because that's the way television works. It all boils down to money. And if you're lucky, you can get something out of it. Sadly, for season three, I don't think they helped as many ppl as they set out too..

GoodnightLittleBear 461 desperate attention whore postings

05-25-06, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GoodnightLittleBear Click to send private message to GoodnightLittleBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
I agree with you but I think that by using Dr Stan, they are subtly promoting this show as therapeutic. He is a licensed psychologist and he has not presented himself as being there to provide motivation or spiritual advice. He is there to provide psychological counseling. That is how the show is perceived as therapeutic.

05-25-06, 06:51 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Dr. Stan was used to give the show weight and to provide some male perspective. Also, Dr. Stan is the television industry's go-to guy for psych experts. This is not his first consulting psych gig in tv. I think SO has been somewhat responsible in letting him provide the "therapy" insofar as you can do that on television. Both Rhonda and Iyanla have freely deferred to him with specific issues re: HGs. Rhonda and Iyanla like to play "pretend therapists" but whenever the three of them are together, it's clear who's the one with the licensed background. Look at how they handled Tess last season...and Even Sommer from last season. Megg was also a great example. Iyanla was clueless about how to handle her. You could tell Dr. Stan really had a hand in her coursework.

05-25-06, 07:07 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
It's not called POP psychology for nothing... that is what Iguana, Rhonda AND Dr. Stan does. Sorry but I include the good doctor in on this mess.

Never knew who Iguana was from day one. Only after I got on this board did I learn her history. Is she mainstream? Nope. She already lost one show and couldn't keep it going. I highly doubt that people went "oh that is the famous Iguana of famous Iguana fame" -- maybe some but definitely not a "majority" - if she was that well known and popular then why did the show sink when she was given even more of a role to play (per her contract)?

B-M kept her along because she makes D-R-A-M-A and yeah you are right it sells.

I don't believe for one moment that once the founder of this show DIED that it had anything to do about helping women. Please review this season and I will be proven right by so much of the editing: the implication of Allisham's alcoholism ranked right there at the top; the mental torture of TJ for ratings w/o letting her have access to anyone who was trained in ADD/ADHD; and dealing with Kim who has serious mental scars needing long term therapy.

Your right, Iguana knew NOTHING about helping ANY of these women. She is a motivational speaker PERIOD. She was out of her depth from the first woman who walked on the SET. This show was staged, the lines written by two soap opera writers and the questions Q&A'd in confessionals to create and fill in the drama.

Iguana can go creep back under her rock with her books, reading poems to fat naked ladies in baths and beds, and trying to kill and maim people. I personally was very prepared to like her no-nonsense way but when she overstepped the bounds of common sense and used her Life Coach methods to ATTACK and HOUND people, I decided that this show was definitely not about helping anyone ... except lining the pocket books of Bunim-Murry, Rhonda Britten, Iguana and Dr. Stan.

Meanwhile the HG's Ho-a-thon with selling themselves on ebay and making 'speaking engagements' and being "Life Coaches in Training" continue... God - or the Universe - help whatever poor soul thinks that Andy Paige can help them with their clothes (Andy is now Rhonda's *friend* see her website blog), and that Allisham can give them spiritual guidance.

05-25-06, 08:36 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Ok so I had to read and then re-read your post a few times to try and figure out what your main beef was..Is it that Iyanla has no formal training in psychology? That Dr Stan isn't all that assertive? That the show is edited for maximum drama? That BM brought in women like Kim and TJ with real life problems and were in completely over their heads and then unleashed them back onto society? Or maybe that they sought to make money off all this..? I don't know but all those things are true..Iyanla was out of her element and the show was creatively edited. Why would we want to watch a show that was boring? Just remember there are hundreds of hours of footage shot for every 44 minutes of shown each day. The women were there simply as a means of generating revenue for the production company. They took a chance that TJ might have cracked up one day. That would have made great tv, don't you think? If you were a casting director and you had to choose b/w someone like TJ and say someone who wanted to Idunno...learn to read...who do you think would make for more compelling television? Someone who's behavior could be unpredictable like TJs or someone who would most likely be holed up in a library somewhere..? In the end, it's the women who suffer because they come there and get a scab ripped off them and then are sent home a la Niambi. And as much as I'm no Iyanla cheerleader, I'm not ready to say the show failed or succeeded solely on her presence. I personally liked it better on season 1, but clearly it has grown in audience in the two seasons that she has been on there, which isn't to say it made financial sense to keep producing the show.

And with regard to the HGs turning to ebay and speaking engagements, isn't that pretty much par for the course for former reality show participants. Let's face it, they go on tv because they don't have very many other marketable skills or they don't have much of a work ethic. Either way, it's an easy way to make a quick buck. I'm not sure, I'd begrudge them that..

05-25-06, 11:25 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
My beef with this show has been the same throughout my posting -

Life Coach does not equal Therapist.

Iguana and Rhonda have repeatedly put themselves out there as therapists. Irregardless if they did it for ratings or money, they have both stated time and time again it was meaningful, authentic and real to them. I don't believe that.

You brought up some points which I specifically answered - no I didn't know Iguana before and no, I don't believe she was mainstreamed known before SO. No, I don't think her popularity was such that it saved the SO show (obviously did not). And no, I don't believe she is capable of helping anyone - let alone offering advice on men (when she was in an adulterous relationship) or with dieting (when she is as big as Jill) or with raising children (when she has written and spoken of her own children in terms that I wouldn't have wanted her as MY mother).

Just calling them as I see them.

Iguana = Fake. It's all the pulpit-preaching, pass the hat, sign up to my spiritual university and become a Life Coach malarky that has been going on for centuries. It's called selling Snake Oil.

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings

05-28-06, 07:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
>I agree with you but I
>think that by using Dr
>Stan, they are subtly promoting
>this show as therapeutic.
>He is a licensed psychologist
>and he has not presented
>himself as being there to
>provide motivation or spiritual advice.
> He is there to
>provide psychological counseling. That
>is how the show is
>perceived as therapeutic.

I feel they brought in Dr. Stan to give some credence to the show.

In season one, last half of the season viewers were screaming for a bonefide therapist/phychologist.....next season Dr. Stan is introduced.

Also, there were rumours during the last half of season one that the S.O. was being invesrtigated in Chicago by professionals cause many felt the show had gone beyond the scope of what an LC can and can't do.

The show was orginally patterend after Rhonda's show that she had in England: Help Me, Rhonda <--name of the show.

The ONLY LC to have ever kept within the scope of coaching, or atleast close to it, was Rana. But then again, rumour has it that she had applied to the show to be a houseguest and was asked during that process if she would be a coach. She already at that time was coaching big businesses and their employees through her company.

The difference between these LC's: Rhonda, Rana, and IV is that Ranan never wanted publicity, she was a professional before coming on the show, and was a down to earth type of person who actually let her feelings show.

Rhonda definitly was out to promote herself..(Course her only degree is in Marketing but then she did try out her acting skills or alck thereof-Married With Children is one she was on).......beginning of the second half of the first season, all month it is all about her book which just so happened came out during that month.

I hadn't heard of any of these LC's (the 3) nor Dr. Stan before rhe show started and most likely will never hear of them again.

05-31-06, 08:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
I don't believe Rain needed Iguana to be able to get a job - all she had to do was pick up a newspaper and look in the classifieds. I have done demo's in stores for yrs. now at $70 a pop for a 5 hr. stint and could do them 7 days a week if I had the time. When I had to work 2 jobs I used my head and figured out I could work some part-time hrs. in a day care center thus eliminating the need to find a babysitter and pay out all that I had just earned (on the 2nd job). Most day cares include letting your kid go for free or at a very reduced price - one just needs to be a bit creative in their thinking in order to survive. Rain didn't Iguana to figure that out (or maybe she did, who knows).

05-25-06, 07:24 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Not sure which chick were speaking of on The View, but I do recall that Debbie Matanopoulos got let go on The View, but she was blonde. Rumor has it Star Jones Reynolds is leaving because Rosie O'Donnell is taking Meredith Viera's place.

The View is Barbara Walters baby and I don't beleive Oprah has anything in it, although I could be wrong.

I like Iyanla, but then I pretty much liked the whole premise of Starting Over. I could never have done it because I would not expose my dirty laundry on national tv. But of the two coaches, I would have done much better under Iyanla. Rhonda babies her girls and I don't respond to being babied I respond to being called out on my stuff. Just the difference in people, I guess.

05-25-06, 11:29 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
>Not sure which chick were speaking
>of on The View, but
>I do recall that Debbie
>Matanopoulos got let go on
>The View, but she was
>blonde. Rumor has
>it Star Jones Reynolds is
>leaving because Rosie O'Donnell is
>taking Meredith Viera's place.

You can read the rumors of Oprah's involvement right here
http://dailyblabber.ivillage.com/entertainment/archives/2006/05/gayle_king_to_be_star.html

05-28-06, 10:16 AM (EST)
33. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
Thanks for the link Lab, very interesting. If it is true, which who knows, I would much rather see Gayle on the show than Star. hee hee

Zoey 326 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-29-06, 03:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Zoey Click to send private message to Zoey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
I don't mean to alienate the potential black audience that Iyanla's talk show could have had but I do understand a network wanting someone who will gather the best ratings.

However, why would they choose Iyanla to begin with if they thought she was too Afro-Centric? To me, you either want someone as they are or you want someone else.

I remember Iyanla's show very vaugly. Did she conform to this rule or stick by her own choices?

I'd rather fail and be myself that be successful at trying to be someone I'm not.

For me personally, I would do better with Rhonda or a Dr. Phil type. This is not because they are white but because I feel they are more to the point. BUT I do value Iyanla immencely, peobably even more the the aforementioned because I think to people who believe in what she teaches, it must be invaluable and more inclusive.

05-29-06, 05:41 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
I don't actually remember seeing any of Iyanla on ABC, Zoey, but I think she was held back on her style. I do remember in her segments with Oprah... she was amazing, and Oprah seemed to let her have free reign... which is why I think it was Iyanla's bad judgement to go to ABC.

05-31-06, 08:45 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"

>---------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>I think the tide had turned
>for Oprah when author Jonathan
>Franzen (is that right?), The
>Corrections, a best selling NYTimes
>author all on his own...
>refused to participate in Oprah's
>book club. 'I'm a
>successful author, who toils over
>my writing, and I need
>your stamp of approval because???...'
>

LOL - did he really say that?? Would have loved to see the look on her face!! And btw, I couldn't agree more with that line " I need your stamp of approval because???" LOL

05-31-06, 10:52 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
No... he didn't actually say that, at least not in so many words. He didn't even appear on the show. I was jesting about what he was likely thinking. It was a big deal at the time - because he was the first and maybe only author to refuse Oprah! The NY Times did a story on it! Oprah herself, at the beginning of one of her shows, had to come on and say that the book had been dropped because the author didn't want to appear. She made some joke about wanting to read, rather than offend anyone.

I think the feeling at the time was that Oprah had given her seal of approval to rather depressing books, and that her endorsement would've been a detriment to an author, like Franzen, who was already on the NY Times best selling list.

06-01-06, 02:06 AM (EST)
40. "RE: Iyanla-- No F-o-O?"
and...he actually got almost as much mileage out of refusing Oprah as he would have by allowing his book to be used by her book club.

There's no such thing as bad press.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •