The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SO - then and now"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

imagma 33 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-05-06, 01:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail imagma Click to send private message to imagma Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SO - then and now"
The first season of SO was great. I was a fan of the show and felt the life coaches made a difference in the house guests lives. The women left the house with a sense of accomplishment.

The second season was good. There were a few houseguests who were not helped (Deborah and Karen) and left the house never to be heard from again.

The third, and current season started out with couples. I had no interest in the couples therapy. Maybe I did not relate because I am single - maybe married men and women found those episodes helpful.

I think SO started out as a great show that men and women found helpful and could relate to. As the seasons progress I find the houseguests and the life coaches way of dealing with them more bizaar than ever.

What do you think?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SO - then and now Baxtera 05-05-06 1
   RE: SO - then and now Lanna42 05-05-06 2
       RE: SO - then and now Baxtera 05-05-06 3
           RE: SO - then and now Lanna42 05-05-06 5
       RE: SO - then and now dopeydwarf 05-05-06 4
 RE: SO - then and now MizJazmine 05-05-06 6
   RE: SO - then and now bookwomanblue 05-05-06 7
   RE: SO - then and now AshLanie 05-06-06 9
       RE: SO - then and now MizJazmine 05-06-06 11
 RE: SO - then and now JACKBAUERSCHIC 05-05-06 8
   RE: SO - then and now Baxtera 05-06-06 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Baxtera 923 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-05-06, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: SO - then and now"
I found the first season to be real and I got a great deal from listening to the groups sessions and watching many of the individuals work through their lessons, etc. I thought many of the goals seemed more practical and down to earth and the activities seemed more focused on reaching achievable goals. The goals themselves seemed more specific and defined.

Seasons 2-3 have been about entertainment. IV's voodoo priestess routines have been highly entertaining. Her swamp demon activities have more than once started a day with laughter. However, I was highly disappointed to see the loss of the practical exercises, the "real" goals, the achievable steps, practical activities and instead see IV's priestess crap along with Rhonda's whip me beat me stuff. None the less the last two seasons while not practical have been funny.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Lanna42 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-05-06, 02:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lanna42 Click to send private message to Lanna42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SO - then and now"
Oh come on Baxtera.......if it weren't for Iyanla's vodoo priestess crap and Rhonda's whip,me beat me stuff you and I wouldn't have anything to write about. The show lost some creditability with me during Kim's endless descent into childhood and the day Rhonda handed her THE KNIFE to STAB away her anger.There was some kind of weird subtext going on there for me along the lines of "Silence Of The Lambs."That and the day Iyanla had Nulisa in the pool hurling beach balls at her head.Or maybe it was the day Rhonda dressed up Lisa in the baby getup.Then I just decided we were tuning in to some kind of scripted S/M therapy play. I thought the show was constructive in the beginning.After that I just tuned in everyday for a good laugh.

05-05-06, 03:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SO - then and now"
Hey I'm honest enough to admit I watch it shearly for the entertainment value since season 1 ended. I did actually learn some things in season 1. It's been a guilty pleasure but funny none the less especially this last season.

Lanna42 263 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-06, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lanna42 Click to send private message to Lanna42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: SO - then and now"
Yes,your honest and forthright.You missed your calling as a lawyer. Don't feel guilty.I don't.These gals signed on for this abuse.They could always have said "Hell no Iyanla or Rhonda.I'm not doing that.It's humiliating.It's ridiculous.You jump in the damn pool and let me throw balls at your silly head!You talk with the goofy sock puppet.I live on planet Earth and don't need sock puppets to speak for me."They get caught up in the "process" and then it becomes like some self-depreciating train that they can't get off of because they don't want to "not graduate" God forbid.Or they don't want to disappoint their "coach."You know what would have convinced me that NuLisa had changed(bless her poor flamenco dancing heart)if she had said the above to Iyanla and she was no longer a DOORMAT.That would have been starting over.This show went off the rails and started running down the guests after the first season.

dopeydwarf 185 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-05-06, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dopeydwarf Click to send private message to dopeydwarf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SO - then and now"
I liked it when Layne married herself!!!!(OMG, how embarassing) And I couldn't believe it when we had a funeral for Allison's breasts(BEOOBS)
They are playing the repeats on TVone, and Tess's idiot self is on there. I kept the one where she threw the plate, and then the BOR afterwards. I will also keep the one where she leaves.
The thing I have to admit is I understand why I used to love Allison--these are the shows where she goes to the doctor w/Vanessa, and she first gets her hair done. They play that sad music and I still cry. It was season three that made me disgusted with her, and that is when I first came to the message boards, to see if others felt the same, or was I just being mean. She REALLY changed.
There is no one that I really liked this season except for Jill.
And Lisa2 at the end.
I remember very little from Season one, just that I thought it was dumb that they had a chick who was worried about her upcoming marriage.

I'd rather be at Disneyworld

MizJazmine 532 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-05-06, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MizJazmine Click to send private message to MizJazmine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: SO - then and now"
I've often seen some people refer to the 1st season of SO as "great", but that just wasn't true for me. The show was always messy. I think it was just "new" and in the beginning I thought it would get better, but it didn't IMO. It was the 1st season that I realized that this show wasn't what I thought it was.

I saw ALOT of ugly behavior in that 1st season and not just amongst the hg's. There was attacking/counterattacking, gossip, ganging up, dismissive attitudes, and the mocking of a goal as well as favorites. There was also to me an uneven distribution of graduation gifts. Remember Cassie's gifts? A scooter, trip to Europe and various places....

I also saw "them" in the 1st season viciously kick a woman out of the house even after she had completed her goal, and yes it really was vicious to me. That one incident changed the whole way I felt about the show. I felt that even though the others who were there during this time had accomplished their goals, I felt that none of them really left with any integrity.

I think the rest of the seasons of SO just followed suit. It's just not new anymore. I like the addition of Iyanla. I think she counterbalances Rhonda, which is something I don't think Rana did very well. There's a more even distribution of power there. I thought the addition of Dr. Stan was good, but as of recent I've lost a lot of respect for him.

All in all it's just a tv show and it's entertainment, nothing more and nothing less. It could have been something more, but it's not. So that's my take for the most part....

bookwomanblue 205 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-06, 06:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bookwomanblue Click to send private message to bookwomanblue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: SO - then and now"
I think the show has deteriorated each season. I really do believe it has a lot to do with the death of Mary Ellen Bunim. IMO, the show lost it's focus and has become solely for entertainment now. This show was her vision and it has definitely been corrupted since her death.

The first season had many more women that had more concrete goals - things you could really accomplish in a couple of months. Nyanza was probably the forerunner to all the women that are on now. I really do feel as though the show has become a parody of itself.

Again imo, it is still a show I enjoy. I just don't get the same information/knowledge from it that I used to.

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-06, 06:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: SO - then and now"
>I've often seen some people refer
>to the 1st season of
>SO as "great", but that
>just wasn't true for me.
>The show was always messy.
>I think it was just
>"new" and in the beginning
>I thought it would get
>better, but it didn't IMO.
>It was the 1st season
>that I realized that this
>show wasn't what I thought
>it was.
>
>I saw ALOT of ugly behavior
>in that 1st season and
>not just amongst the hg's.
>There was attacking/counterattacking, gossip, ganging
>up, dismissive attitudes, and the
>mocking of a goal as
>well as favorites. There was
>also to me an uneven
>distribution of graduation gifts. Remember
>Cassie's gifts? A scooter, trip
>to Europe and various places....
>
>
>I also saw "them" in the
>1st season viciously kick a
>woman out of the house
>even after she had completed
>her goal, and yes it
>really was vicious to me.
>That one incident changed the
>whole way I felt about
>the show. I felt that
>even though the others who
>were there during this time
>had accomplished their goals, I
>felt that none of them
>really left with any integrity.
>
>
>I think the rest of the
>seasons of SO just followed
>suit. It's just not new
>anymore. I like the addition
>of Iyanla. I think she
>counterbalances Rhonda, which is something
>I don't think Rana did
>very well. There's a more
>even distribution of power there.
>I thought the addition of
>Dr. Stan was good, but
>as of recent I've lost
>a lot of respect for
>him.
>
>All in all it's just a
>tv show and it's entertainment,
>nothing more and nothing less.
>It could have been something
>more, but it's not. So
>that's my take for the
>most part....

Kiberlynn, the first ever to be kicked out and I agree with you: It was vicious.

At the Bor, she is called up and praised over and over for achieving her goal.....(which for those that didn't know was to obtain ehr first ever driver's license)...I waited to hear: You are graduating but noooooooooo...they tell her she ahs five mins to pack and leave cause she wasn't supportive of the other Ladies (and I use the word Ladies loosly).

She enters the house. She is suppose to room with Nyanza, who has the biggest room. BUT she is TOLD by Andy Paige she is moving in instead under the guise she wanted to get closer to NY but Andy had always made it clear she wanted to be in the biggest room cause of all her clothing etc. Andy tells Kimberlynn she can stay in the guest room til she, Andy, gets her stuff moved to the bigger room....Kim accepts what she is being told and the show doesn't stop Andy from moving.

Kim's problem was she wouldn't take bullcrap from Rhonda and we all know how Rhonda likes to control her clients.

What did in Kim was the day she came back from an assignment that went over the time limit and was late for a meeting with Rhonda. Kimberlynn runs in the door and runs upstairs to use the bathroom. Rhonda stands at the bottom of the stairs screaming, yes screaming threats at Kimberlynn who proceedes to slam the bathroom door.

The next problem that Kimberlynn was accused of was when she invited the housemates to an AfricanAmerican music program. Kimberlynn's family was going to be there also since they all live in Chicago. Instead of the aldies following her in they stay outside to smoke. By time they did enter the saved seats were taken by other patrons and these ladies had to sit elsewhere. Kimberlynn was called on this but not the ladies who stayed to smoke outside (I smoke and felt these ladies were wrong). The ladies accused Kimberlynn of picking her family over them.

I began watching the show the first seaon, second day. I was laid up and thought wow, maybe my time home will be construcitve.....but when they kicked out Kiberlynn in such a heartless way..I thought ehre we go: Just another UNreality show.......

.....Then when I found out they kept two past sopa opera writers on staff....I began to reallize that some of this stuff has to be scripted....

...BUT the big giveaway was the so called breakin....waaaaay too many holes in that..was NOT scripted well at all. Pics of the so called bedroom were 't even from that night....no police report made...and the ladies are kept in the very room that was broken into?.....plus it was the LC's private room yet they were not called but were told nonchanlantly by a guard when they came later that day for the regualar group meeting.

Plus Rhonda made it clear on one of the tour stops that the break in would be addressed and solved by end of season two.....good marketing stragety to keep the viewers watching considering their ratings were going downhill at that time.

The show's idea was on target but as always ratings take precedence......but it backfired cause, from what I've read, the show will not be renewed for a fourth season.

MizJazmine 532 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-06-06, 01:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MizJazmine Click to send private message to MizJazmine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: SO - then and now"
Oh and let's not forget Teresa's betrayal or Lori's campaign against Kimberlyn. But wait I can't leave out Audrey with her "twang" and selfish ways. Nor can I forget Karen who I thought was a very strong real woman who "they" finally managed to gut. By the end of season 1, I thought the women were sounding rather "Stepfordish" saying things like the "process...just follow the process".

Ahhhhhhh yes...Season 1...smh

Well with that break in, they were setting Sommer up to take the fall that's why I can't believe she's back. Remember Christine? She was the one who had conflict with Erika. She had been in the house for 5 weeks and not one step, but she sure kept up alot of drama.

Nope for me this show has always been what it is right now. A little more of this and a little less of that, but still the same. I knew something was up when KFC was no longer doing the graduation thing. From the looks of some of those graduation gifts this season I wouldn't be too surprised if they took pictures off the walls and gave them to the women or that little blue sculpture thingy. Maybe they'll give the garden angel to Cassie.

JACKBAUERSCHIC 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-05-06, 11:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JACKBAUERSCHIC Click to send private message to JACKBAUERSCHIC Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: SO - then and now"
I agree. I started last year with Candie and Bethany... since then they seem to have gone down hill. Notice Candie and most of them going back do not have myspaces and stay private... it seems as it went on, people was opportunity for camera time... remember Sommer did, then ummm that girl that got kicked out... forget her name.. and so on.......

05-06-06, 09:10 AM (EST)
10. "RE: SO - then and now"
I thought they at least tried to build some team house spirit in the first season. While they still had cat fights they also had meetings to discuss issues and try to resolve them. In season two and forward in fighting was encouraged and produced.

Season 1 I liked Rana much better than the voodoo priestess. She tried to have practical exercises for her clients and when she had them do physical challenges they generally didn't involve humiliation but things designed to build confidence and to gain strength. I found her directions to be clearer and less guess what I want and I'll zap you when ya wrong.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •