The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SO for men??"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

justsomeguy 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-05-06, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail justsomeguy Click to send private message to justsomeguy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SO for men??"
I am probably one of a handful of men nationwide that watch SO regularly and like it for what it is and how it helps people. I am also straight! I was a sociology/psychology major in college. What does anyone think of a SO house for Men?? Is that even possible??
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SO for men?? Redbud 05-05-06 1
 RE: SO for men?? susang 05-05-06 2
   RE: SO for men?? realtvlvr 05-05-06 3
       RE: SO for men?? mirage3033 05-05-06 4
           RE: SO for men?? dopeydwarf 05-05-06 5
 RE: SO for men?? Shields4SO 05-05-06 6
 RE: SO for men?? evilfeevil 05-06-06 7
 RE: SO for men?? mysticwolf 05-07-06 8
 RE: SO for men?? Twinkles 05-08-06 9
   RE: SO for men?? Jadens Mommy 05-08-06 10
   RE: SO for men?? NewFan 05-08-06 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Redbud 573 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-05-06, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Redbud Click to send private message to Redbud Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: SO for men??"
>I am probably one of a
>handful of men nationwide that
>watch SO regularly and like
>it for what it is
>and how it helps people.
>I am also straight! I
>was a sociology/psychology major in
>college. What does anyone
>think of a SO house
>for Men?? Is that
>even possible??

Probably not. The show runs during the day when lots of "housewives" and "stay at home soccer moms" are home watching. They are probably the target audience and won't care to watch a bunch of single guys living together, it doesn't resonate with them. They did have a couples SOH, get a girl and try for that one.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

susang 429 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-05-06, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail susang Click to send private message to susang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SO for men??"
I'd like to see men in the SO house. It would be interesting to see how they communicate and handle the exercises (vs. the women). I find gender differences fascinating.

realtvlvr 9 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-06, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realtvlvr Click to send private message to realtvlvr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SO for men??"
sign my husband up please!

mirage3033 100 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-05-06, 01:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mirage3033 Click to send private message to mirage3033 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SO for men??"
It would be an interesting format, the current one has played out. Remember the group therapy that Billy from Allie McBeal went to.

dopeydwarf 185 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-06, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dopeydwarf Click to send private message to dopeydwarf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: SO for men??"

Would you really want to go through all that cr@p? I don't know if it really does anyone any good anymore.

I'd rather be at Disneyworld

Shields4SO 2 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-06, 03:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shields4SO Click to send private message to Shields4SO Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: SO for men??"
I'm another one of 'the guys' that regularly watches, with my wife. Both of us have gotten alot out of SO and have a great deal of respect for the LC's and Dr. Stan. This show is by far much more valuable and interesting to me than 'poop operas' as I call them. Learning about real life issues and gaining tools to handle them is great to see on any channel.

I bet most women would be very interested in seeing men getting therapy or working with LC's. Understanding the opposite sex has always been highly sought after on both sides. I'd also be interested in how the wives/girlfriends would react to the changes their man goes through. I'd watch it!

evilfeevil 20 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-06-06, 06:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail evilfeevil Click to send private message to evilfeevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: SO for men??"
I doubt many men would watch it...I really enjoyed the couples boot camp episodes that ran, more than I thought I would. But as far as an SO house for men, I doubt it would work (unless only women are watching)...my boyfriend cannot stand SO! If I'm watching it on tape and he comes into the room, I actually have to stop the tape or he'll immediately start berating the characters to me, saying how it is the stupidest show ever! And he's usually not that closed-minded, but something about *feelings* irritates him, I guess. ;-P I would probably watch an SO for men show, though.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-07-06, 01:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: SO for men??"
Because they are in archives now, and as such cannot be commented on, I'll leave this topic unlocked. But, if you do a search of the word "men", choose "subject", and include an archive search, you'll find that this subject has come up a number of times. The responses in some of those threads may prove enlightening to you.

An Arkie curious cub blogging's scary

Twinkles 324 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-08-06, 04:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Twinkles Click to send private message to Twinkles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: SO for men??"
I think the idea for SOH was to use take off on the way that women socialize and support each other in groups by sharing their issues, ups, and downs in life. Iyanla and others tried to form a sisterhood and even if it doesn't work while everyone is in the house, encourages the women to create some archetypal female groups after they leave. (finding wise-women mentors, and a growing sisterhood of friends, for example).

Men definitely bond in groups but the parallel isn't that they get together to dissect, examine, share, and heal each others relationships, families, and hurts. The male generalization is that it's more a bonding by just being in each others presence and accepting each other as you are.

I know men in conflict have an entirely different dynamic than women. I just can't even think of how much rework/rethinkng the show would take to really be designed to help men with their issues. (Oh, my, I just flashed on graduation ceremonies and Andy Paige makeovers with too much mascara. *must remove mental image*)

Now that people have seen Starting Over, I'm sure there are men who want to work on their issues and would be happy to come into the house and work with (perhaps male) LCs to challenge them to grow and change. I think the aspect of having endless opportunities to chat and feeling safe and isolated might not be as essential but it always helps to get away from a situation to deal with ones own issues. I think it could work. I think any stay at home people watching the show now would watch men on the show. (especially if they were hawt. just kidding. )

Jadens Mommy 333 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-08-06, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Jadens%20Mommy Click to send private message to Jadens%20Mommy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: SO for men??"
I would definately watch SO for men! It would probably be more interesting. It might help me understand my husband better. He happened to get a glimpse of SO recently on a day off from work and he thought the idea of the show was great. I was surprised. It thought he was going to say something like, "Oh, please!"

NewFan 139 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-06, 04:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NewFan Click to send private message to NewFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: SO for men??"
I would enjoy an SO for Men, but only if my husband watched too and could pick up some tips

Just think of all the sports-related or fishing/hunting-related challenges they could use to help them! I think anger could be a huge issue, and I'll bet a lot of men would end up walking out rather than going through with a challenge or being vulnerable or taking criticism at a BOR. But that's so sexist of me to say!

The whole vibe would be way different though. It's interesting to think about. I don't think you would have as much of the tears and hugs and openness and general support. But again, just me being sexist...

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •