The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Locked thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Micheyle 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-13-06, 11:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Micheyle Click to send private message to Micheyle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
I have been avidly watching SO for quite some time and just recently starting reading the boards here.

One thing that I noticed is that there is a lot of judgement going on about certain HGs and thier actions or failure of actions. They can be seriously frustrating! lol

But, these women are there, in that house, because they recognize they have some issues and they have been unable to correct it on their own or don't know where to go to start their growth.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the women in the house didn't have these issues they are dealing with, that irritate us viewers at times (and I admit I'm irritated by their behavior quite often) to the point we have to post about them and even call them names, like "Toadie", they wouldn't be on the show. I certainly hope whenever a new houseguest arrives that there will be something about her that I will dislike, otherwise, she'd be taking up a spot in the house that could be filled by someone who really needed the help.

It is my opinion that every single one of the women in that house are there because of a sincere desire to better themselves. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it though, which definitely I understand and respect the opinions of those on the boards who disagree. Whenever anyone starts out to become a better person things are bound to get ugly, and there is bound to be some resistant and stubborn behavior. It's not easy. There are things about the women that I don't like, but I feel a deep compassion and gratitude for each one of them...for deciding to take control of their lives, for being willing to share this experience with a national audience, for sharing this experience with me, so that we can all learn something from their experiences.

That's just my opinion, those are just my feelings. I've never posted on here so I thought I'd share.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... sharnina 04-14-06 1
   RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... dopeydwarf 04-14-06 2
       RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... lovemydogdude 04-14-06 3
           RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... sharnina 04-14-06 4
               RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... lovemydogdude 04-14-06 5
                   RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... sharnina 04-14-06 6
                       RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... NicNac 04-14-06 7
                           RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... SOfan0221 04-14-06 8
                           RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... JustBNMe 04-14-06 9
 RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... Bebo 04-14-06 10
   RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... Sues 04-14-06 11
       RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... lovemydogdude 04-14-06 12
 RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... working4aliving 04-15-06 14
   RE: Isn't that why they are in the ... Zoey 04-15-06 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sharnina 3075 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-14-06, 00:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
And I for one thought you did an outstanding job of expressing yourself without bashing any posters.

Most of us feel the same way you do but I think what we question is the real reasons these women are there. Right now in my opinion, Kim and Bethany seem to be the only ones that are there for reasons beyond their control. Some would disagree with me on Kim and I would understand where they are coming from. While I understand that she had a horrible childhood, there comes a time in everyone's life when they must stand up and take responsibility for today and the rest of their lives. Many of us have done it and didn't have to go on national television to do it.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

dopeydwarf 185 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-14-06, 01:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dopeydwarf Click to send private message to dopeydwarf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"

When a new HG comes to the house, I usually like them immediately and wait to hear their story. That's where the compassion comes in. After awhile, when they start being difficult,and do it over and over, is when I start getting disgusted.
This is where I come to vent with my sisters (and a few brothers) over that. That is what this forum is for.
It's okay to get mad. Remember, everyone has problems and could probably use therapy sometime. I'll bet you know a few people whose lives are worse than most of the HGs. You can always be hospitalized if you need therapy. But at the SO house, you get paid while you get therapy. And your dream job that was just a dream before? Just tell the Life Coaches--they'll hook you up.
Let's see--600/week--potential employers taking a personal interest in you---media exposure--not too bad a deal.
I feel bad for Bethany, and sometimes Kim. I love TJ and Jill, and I cried when Lisa2 graduated. ( I had complained about her for awile too, but she overcame her victim status-now I like her.) That's just what you do--you get real mad, and then when and if they grow, you're not mad anymore. Works for me.

I'd rather be at Disneyworld

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-14-06, 01:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-14-06 AT 02:34 AM (EST)

I agree..and feel I too find compassion for the HG no matter who they are once they arrive but time will tell as far as my eventual reaction. Honestly I blame SO for allowing this season to develop into the monster that it has become. If I didn't have this board to vent..well I don't know if I could stand watching this show lol.

It's so irritating *sigh* yet I continue to watch and will truly miss the show once it's gone. IMO they have forgotten their original intent/purpose. What once was a house where women felt led to go to and deal with their most initimate issues..is now heartless! They're more interested in ratings than the very souls who have invested themselves into their show.

Edited for typo..oops..thanks sharnina and no that's not what I meant to say lol

04-14-06, 02:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
"What once was a house where women felt led to go to and deal with their most initimate issues..is now hearless!"

*snicker, snicker* Did you mean to say fearless, LMDD?

What do you think of my new sig?

04-14-06, 02:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
Yep preview was not my friend on that one sharnina but edit was lol.

04-14-06, 03:18 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
Well, fearless didn't make much sense to me either but it made more sense than hearless. LOL

And I agree with you. I think SO has become very heartless in the way they are (or aren't) dealing with these women. The truth is that all of them have legitimate issues to work on but it all gets lost in stupid exercises that have no point or don't achieve the intended goal. And the fact that they are allowed to bicker amongst themselves endlessly is amazing to me. They clearly have way too much time on their hands.

NicNac 131 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-14-06, 07:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail NicNac Click to send private message to NicNac Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
I guess I don't agree that all of the women are there because they recognize that they have some issues to work on. I truly believe that some of them (think Lisa1) came into the SO house to grab some exposure on a nationally aired TV show. Seems like some of them are just using it to hone up on their acting skills, not to really heal themselves. What I don't understand is - if they truly did come into the house for help with issues in their lives, why are they so resistant to hearing what the LCs are offering them in the way of help?

SOfan0221 828 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-14-06, 07:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SOfan0221 Click to send private message to SOfan0221 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
I agree NicNac, SO seems to have alot of future actress, model, spokesperson, tv talk show wannabes. Too bad they are not rooted out during the interview process so that we can get more women who truly want to change, heal, work on their problems. I think thus far this season Bethany is the most real I have seen. Possibly TJ in that she worked hard to heal her inner self but some of the others oh geez give me a break.

JustBNMe 526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-14-06, 07:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JustBNMe Click to send private message to JustBNMe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
I agree with you. Look at Towanda from last year. She wanted to make a name for herself and not live in the shadow of hr sister Toni yet every chance she got she bragged about Toni being her sister. Isn't wanting to make a cd of herself an entertainment aspiration and not working on life issues? Some of the HG are there for legit things like Bethany and Allison (well for a while it was legit)but most have petty things and a few have problems a LC could deal with but most are beyond the need for a LC. Some need to be in intensive psychotherapy. IMO when they start backstabing, gossiping and consistently resisting what the LC's, Dr. Stan and the "experts" say it is time to move them out because they prove they are not interested in changing at all. Some conflict amongst 6 women who live together and some resistance to the process is normal but the way some of the HG behave is ridiculous and uncalled for.

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-14-06, 08:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
One thing that I noticed is that there is a lot of judgement going on about certain HGs and thier actions or failure of actions. They can be seriously frustrating!

You know what else is frustrating? When we clearly state in our FAQ that calling other posters is judgmental is not allowed here. Why? Because you're doing the exact same thing you're criticizing others for doing.

Sues 585 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-14-06, 09:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sues Click to send private message to Sues Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
I typically have the same 'journey' as DopeyDwarf....like em, hate em, like em...lol. Like right now I'm reeaaallllyyyy trying to like Kelly. Seems everytime I start seeing the silver lining, she goes psycho....*sigh* I guess that'll make her 'getting it' all the sweeter....

I also agree with the folks who say some are there for the exposure..and I hate it too.
Jessica, Sommer, SisterofToni, Tess, XXXTina....I would have rather seen them on Community Auditions then taking up a spot in what should be a healing place...

The reason I latched onto this show is because they had real women with real issues that I could relate to and learn from. Even some of the more 'serious' ones had everyday stuff we could all relate to. I also absolutely love to see women support and lift eachother up...something clearly lacking in this group. Makes for springer-style entertainment but I'm not learning anything I don't already know...

and is it me, or are the LC's a bit too sarcastic this year???

04-14-06, 11:35 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
As far as HG motivation goes I believe many have been there with the wrong intensions! Their motives end up giving out a strong vibe that their deepest desire was not for healing but yet for fame (whatever their route might be?)

The most impressive HG's IMO are those who never did a "myspace" or ever complained about the boards (cuz they were smart enough to never come here..) Those few hearts were the ones who went to the house for the right reasons. I've only watched THIS season and a little of the 2nd but I say the only worthy good hearted souls (that I'VE seen) have been TJ, Kim, YesLisa (don't believe fame was in her heart..only escape and survival), and Bethany!

working4aliving 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-15-06, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail working4aliving Click to send private message to working4aliving Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
I watch the show alone. I know no one else that watches it, probably due to the time of day it airs. Sometimes when there are one of those "can you believe she said/did that" moments, I come here to get other people's view on it. I rarely really post but there's some sort of gratification in knowing that I'm not the only one that was blown away by someone's ridiculousness or the hilarity of a situation.

Zoey 326 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-15-06, 07:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Zoey Click to send private message to Zoey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Isn't that why they are in the Starting Over House?"
In regards to getting frustrated at the house-mates:

I constantly have to remind myself that the people go into the house with a lifetime of problems they're trying to undo and even though they have alot of help, Rome wasn't built in a day. They resist in the house and probably will, to a point, forever. They just leave with better coping skills then most but they still have to use them AND continue to grow rather than thinking their improvement started and stopped after the SO house.

I also think that it's decieving to watch the life coaches. By the way they teach, you would think that they live perfect lives. They seem to have a calm and rational answer for everything. Do you really think they are able to live this way at all times?

Rhonda has a nasty streak in her and I can't imagine she lives her life as gracefully as one would expect a life coach to live.

Then Iyanla constantly sabatoges people's progress by telling them AFTER an assignment that they could have chosen another option. The HG is trying to do the right thing and she makes them wrong. By her own logic, when Allison decided to jump into the life raft, she should have been praised for thinking "outside the box" (which Allison was probably expecting) but did Iyanla do that? No.

Both life coaches come from very dark pasts. I don't expect them to be perfect but I think they are both very manipulative which, on one hand, makes them good at what they do. On the other hand, I think there are still sparks of evil in both of them. Between this and the illusion of perfection in their present lives, I think they add to the idea that improvment is easier than it truly is.

Anyway, as frustrating as their lack of progress may be, I think it's much harder to let go of everything you've ever known than we may realize. I agree that it's irritating but I also know from personal experience that it's really hard to make such big changes.

Unlock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •