The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Article: "The Crying Game" (SO mentioned)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-01-06, 00:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Article: "The Crying Game" (SO mentioned)"
This article (blog item?) in Time magazine mentions SO in terms of what appears to be a recent spate of public crying:

The most alone I’ve ever felt was crying on the F train in New York. Someone handed me a tissue on the way out the door — I didn’t look up to see my benefactor’s face — but no one asked me what was wrong.

I’m not sure how I would have answered — it seemed like a million things at the time. Which is why I’m not satisfied by the rather obvious explanations for a recent spate of public waterworks. Last week, the Bush White House got touchy-feeling as Andy Card’s eyes brimmed while he announced his resignation as Chief of Staff. College basketball players Adam Morrison and J.J. Redick sobbed on the courts after their respective teams, Gonzaga and Duke, were eliminated from the NCAA tournament. And remember poor Mrs. Alito, sniffling through her husband’s confirmation Senate hearings. Of course, the daytime block of network programming has long been synonymous with emotional instability. There’s Oprah and Dr. Phil, of course — and Starting Over, the syndicated group therapy show whose saline output is of biblical proportions.

We know why they’re all crying, right? A farewell, losing, stress and, well, the whole point of daytime chat shows and Starting Over is to exhaust a thesaurus of synonyms for "closure." But there are flavors of sadness and specific qualities of joy, let alone a whole basket full of motivations for tears.

Keeping the focus on SO, any thoughts about the article? Do you think, as the article says, that the crying in the SO house is, while an expression of emotion, possibly also a barrier to communication?

Better than I deserve.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO ... truthinadvertising 04-03-06 1
 RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO ... lovemydogdude 04-04-06 2
   RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO ... kawyar 04-04-06 3
       RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO ... tac_2 04-04-06 4
 RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO ... MizJazmine 04-06-06 5
   RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO ... SOfan0221 04-06-06 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

truthinadvertising 0 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "New Member"

04-03-06, 11:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail truthinadvertising Click to send private message to truthinadvertising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO mentioned)"
This was an interesting article you found Cygnus. I had to come out of lurkdom to comment. In my opinion, crying is a primal response that comes from a place where emotion, not intellect rules. That depth of emotion cannot be expressed verbally. That's why the image of someone weeping is so universal- without any caption, you know that something deep, personal and perhaps earthshattering is occurring.

Of course this does not include the fake water spouts of someone like gagging Lisa. Or the look-at-me selfpity of Allison and others.

And tears are cathartic. Once the grief, sadness, whatever, has been expressed with tears, then a person can return to a place where words are possible. It is like reflexes. First you pull your finger back from the flame. Then you can yell ouch.

I wonder if some of the housemates (think Kelly) do use tears as described in this article. If she is busy crying, she can't be reaching out to empahize with anyone.

Any thoughts?

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-04-06, 01:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO mentioned)"
Interesting article hmmmmm. Excellent post truthinadvertising! This season's dramatics have IMO encouraged all the fake tears i.e. Lisatwit, Allison overkill, Kelly wiping her eyes before she even sheds a tear (that's ok she loves repetitive meaningless movements lol), once Jill started crying it's like she couldn't stop (trying to steal Allison's thunder?)..yes it does waste alot of time..especially in tv land.

I would much rather see genuine tears associated with a particular HG's healing process..wouldn't mind investing the time and missing out on that extra shot of a spider web, the swimming pool, bugs, close-ups of feet, or the same old pear candles on the coffee table... At this point I'm not really sure what I'm missing out on!?..but tend to agree that the time could be used more productively.

kawyar 58 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-04-06, 09:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kawyar Click to send private message to kawyar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO mentioned)"
The genuine tears of TJ when she was talking about her rape, the genuine grief of Kim when she finally faced her abandonment as a helpless child... these are some of the very few gems that stand out from this season. The rest have come across as fake and make me highly distrust their motives behind their therapy.

tac_2 351 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-04-06, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tac_2 Click to send private message to tac_2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO mentioned)"
SO ought to designate a 'crying room' which is the one and only place the women are allowed to weep. I can just about guarantee the tears would be dramatically reduced. After all, they'd have to get up and move their lazy butts to another room, fat chance of that happening.

Tears, sniffling, or full on weeping...I have no problem with until it's obviously being used to manipulate me (or others). Tears are not just an emotional reaction but also a form of communication and too often for people with little imagination or spine. The SO women are great examples of those types.

MizJazmine 532 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-06-06, 05:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MizJazmine Click to send private message to MizJazmine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO mentioned)"
hahahaha...I had to laugh at that biblical proportions comment! In answer to you question I think it's both. While I've seen true blue tears displayed on SO, I've also seen them used as a means to control, manipulate, and not communicate.

I remember Towanda and her "tear" moment of which was quite forced and I don't think I saw a tear. There was a little sumptin going on there, but I think she failed to produce the fully matured droplet! No Towanda didn't quite come through. Then this season there was Lisa(1) who was supposidly crying, but I don't recall really seeing a tear and well she upped the anti by adding fake vomiting to her fake tears. Who wants to communicate with somebody when they're doing all that? Does the person doing all that want to communicate? I don't think so. Then there's Jodi who's a leaky faucet. She has a very hard time taking responsibility and facing the reality of her life. Has she really in a heartfelt way shared that? Not IMO, but she comes through pretty good in the tear department. Tear stained face and all. Hey it's pretty good stuff!

I do think SO plays on the stereotype. If a hg is crying well that means something "therapeutic" is happening right? After all women cry, that's one of our trademarks and who dares to question it! When a woman cries especially on a daytime reality tv show, that's gotta be real right? Why communicate when the tears have "spoken"? Hmmmmmm...

SOfan0221 828 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-06-06, 07:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SOfan0221 Click to send private message to SOfan0221 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Article: "The Crying Game" (SO mentioned)"
I have always felt that crying was more 'heart rules head' than 'head rules heart'. That being said, I don't think it is weak to cry and a truly heartfelt release of tears and emotions can be cleansing.

SO is so full of 'aha' moments and tears. Some real, some pretend. Lisa1 is the queen of pretend tears, those leave me cold. Others have moved me to cry right along with them.

The unique situations at SO probably lead to more tears than the normal person would produce. Kim barely cries at all and Kelly is dabbing away continuously as is Jodi. Kim could emotionally move me to cry along with her if she would ever realy let go and get it out. Kelly and Jodi, I just kind of go 'whaddddddever' when they turn on the spigots. Not that I don't care about their problem, just that they never stop crying.

So anyway, it was an interesting article just wanted to give my spin on it.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •