The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What the Aussie press says..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Rock Star (Protected)
Original message

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-21-05, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"What the Aussie press says..."
New INXS frontman named
Wednesday Sep 21 16:30 AEST

After a global search, INXS has chosen Canadian singer JD Fortune to front the iconic Australian rock outfit.

The 32-year-old was named the group's new frontman, replacing Michael Hutchence, who took his own life at a Sydney hotel in 1997.

"Michael's light will always be a part of this band and I think there are talented artists here that just haven't finished their dream and I am just happy to be along for a part of that," Fortune told Australian journalists from Los Angeles.

INXS original members Kirk Pengilly, Tim Farriss, Jon Farriss, Andrew Farriss and Garry Beers earlier this year embarked on an international search to replace Hutchence, joining forces with reality TV guru Mark Burnett.

Together they created the reality TV show Rock Star: INXS, with thousands of budding singers auditioning around the world with the ultimate goal of fronting the band.

Fortune, who grew up in Nova Scotia and whose name is Jason, was up against Australian contestant Mig Ayesa and Marty Casey, from the United States, in the final vote of the TV series, screened in Australia on pay TV.

His rendition of INXS hit What You Need secured him the gig.

While a fan of INXS growing up, Fortune never saw the group live with Michael Hutchence up front.

"I was living in a really small town ... I never got a chance to see any concerts when I was younger," he said.

"(But) a huge chunk of who I am as a singer, songwriter and performer, comes from the influences of INXS and to be able to say that we are INXS at this point is more than a dream."

INXS formed in 1977 and went on to sell more than 35 million albums worldwide with hits such as New Sensation, Devil Inside, Disappear and Need You Tonight.

"Tonight was one of the most significant moments of this band's entire career," Tim Farriss said of the show's climax.

"The last time this band made a significant anything was at our dear and beloved brother Michael Hutchence's funeral ... thunder and rain happened and it happened again this morning.

"I don't know if it has got anything to do with anything in the world but it is pretty kind of weird and out there."

Farriss said INXS was not looking for a clone of Michael Hutchence.

"Jason ... is not trying to fill his (Hutchence's) shoes. We never expected him to," Farriss said.

"Here we are with a brand new person that completes our band and we are just so grateful."

INXS has attempted to find a replacement lead singer several times since 1997. At one stage Terence Trent D'Arby fronted the band before Jon Stevens took over.

But neither relationship worked out.

INXS will release a single on Thursday through Sony BMG, titled Pretty Vegas.

A new INXS album, the first in eight years, will be released in November and will be followed by a world tour starting in January.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Another article... Loree 09-21-05 1
 RE: What the Aussie press says... jpl68 09-21-05 2
 One more... Loree 09-21-05 3
   RE: One more... jpl68 09-21-05 5
       RE: One more... LaLaLisa 09-22-05 9
 and another... Loree 09-21-05 4
   RE: and another... jpl68 09-21-05 6
 Dave Navarro's blog Loree 09-21-05 7
 Pretty Vegas trigirl 09-22-05 8
 New article Loree 09-22-05 10
   RE: New article LaLaLisa 09-22-05 11
 Another J.D. Fortune Article w/Bio CattyChat 09-22-05 12
   RE: Another J.D. Fortune Article w/... cheesybread 09-23-05 17
 music... Loree 09-22-05 13
   RE: music... CattyChat 09-22-05 14
 RE: Another one... Loree 09-23-05 15
   RE: Another one... CattyChat 09-23-05 20
   RE: Another one... LaLaLisa 09-23-05 25
 MiG's sour grapes Loree 09-23-05 16
   RE: MiG's sour grapes geg6 09-23-05 18
   RE: MiG's sour grapes photokitty 09-23-05 19
       RE: MiG's sour grapes Moother 09-23-05 22
           Destruction of property LaLaLisa 09-23-05 26
   RE: MiG's sour grapes CattyChat 09-23-05 21
       RE: MiG's sour grapes cheesybread 09-23-05 24
       RE: MiG's sour grapes LaLaLisa 09-23-05 27
   RE: MiG's sour grapes cheesybread 09-23-05 23
 another article Loree 09-24-05 28
 An article about the songs on the n... Loree 09-24-05 29
   RE: An article about the songs on t... CattyChat 09-24-05 30
 An article about JD watching the sh... Loree 09-24-05 31
 New J.D. Site & Interview pre-Final... CattyChat 09-24-05 32
 No Grudges trigirl 09-25-05 33
 Final 4 Interview of J.D. CattyChat 09-25-05 34
 Sasha says... Loree 09-25-05 35
 RE: What the Aussie press says... Buggy 09-25-05 36
 Kind of funny Loree 09-26-05 37
 One more.... Loree 09-26-05 38
 still more press... Loree 09-27-05 39
   RE: still more press... CattyChat 09-27-05 40
       RE: still more press... Loree 09-27-05 41
 Aussie Radio spot Loree 09-27-05 42
   RE: Aussie Radio spot LaLaLisa 09-27-05 44
       RE: Aussie Radio spot Loree 09-27-05 46
   Canadian Radio spot CattyChat 09-27-05 45
 EOnline Loree 09-27-05 43
 2-page article Loree 09-28-05 47
 more.... Loree 09-28-05 48
 About the car.... Loree 09-30-05 49
   RE: About the car.... CattyChat 10-01-05 50
 Another JD interview Loree 10-06-05 51
 JD & Garry Gary on the radio Loree 10-06-05 52
 Thanks Loree CattyChat 10-08-05 53
   RE: Thanks Loree Loree 10-08-05 54
       RE: Thanks Loree CattyChat 10-08-05 55
           RE: Thanks Loree Loree 10-08-05 56

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

09-21-05, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Another article..."
Rock Star: INXS Winner Is Controversial J.D. Fortune

In the beginning, we didn’t think too much of J.D. Fortune. We compared his dancing style to “the Seinfield episode with Elaine doing her horrible little dance with the kicks and the thumbs up.” We accused J.D. of copping an attitude when he told INXS in regards to the other singers, “while they’re learning the INXS songs, I know them because I love them.” After a lackluster performance of “Suspicious Minds,” we even asked “Is it time for J.D. Fortune to go?”

But somewhere along the way, J.D. Fortune grew on us. Maybe, it was because he was the first one to treat the show like the competition it was. Maybe, it was because his rebellious antics started to amuse us. From wearing an obscene t-shirt to kissing Dave Navarro to starting a food fight, J.D. Fortune livened up the show.

Another big reason that J.D. Fortune grew on us is that he quite simply became a better performer during the course of the show. The J.D. Fortune that electrified the crowd with his rocking original song “Pretty Vegas” was a far cry from the nervous guy with the awkward dance that started the show. Watching J.D. grow during the course of the show made us start rooting for him to succeed.

However, the main reason we wound up liking J.D. Fortune was never more evident than it was in the Rock Star: INXS finale. At the beginning of the show, Dave Navarro asked J.D. if he thought of driving his new Honda Civic into the pool, and J.D. replied “I did, but then I thought where am I going to live if this doesn’t work out.” All three performers did great during their individual performances, but there was something in J.D.’s eyes that said he wanted it more. You could see J.D.’s heart pounding after INXS eliminated MiG and put Marty and J.D. into the final two.

On stage performing with INXS, both Marty’s performance of “Don’t Change” and J.D.’s performance of “What You Need” were incredible, but J.D. worked hard to spotlight the band during his performance. As Marty and Mig stood on stage awaiting INXS’ decision, J.D. was sweating bullets. Watching J.D. collapse on the stage after INXS selected him for their band showed just how much he really wanted it. We couldn’t help feeling good about seeing a guy go from living in his car to fronting one of the most famous rock bands in the world. It was also good to see INXS invite Marty Casey to possibly be an opening act for their world tour, because Marty will undoubtedly go on to a very successful career in his own right. Rock Star: INXS gave us one of those rare real life happy endings.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

jpl68 72 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-21-05, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jpl68 Click to send private message to jpl68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What the Aussie press says..."
Great articles. You know, after the success of Trees and Pretty Vegas, I think the decision was made regardless of whether they liked J.D. the best or not (which by the way I truley think they did). However, it was simply too much of a marketing dream to have Pretty Vegas as a hit song written by the band (if J.D. wins) to lead into the album. With Marty's popluarity and then the hit song, it became a marketing two headed beast. INXS gets the best of both worlds. They get to let Marty and his "modern" music and fan base open the shows, thereby directly drawing the fans to the INXS show, without having to have Marty as the lead singer of INXS, a role in which I think it was obvious to most, that he was not a great fit for. It is the Marketing "Perfect Storm". Money and success often, like it or not, drive this world and this combination presented INXS and its record label with the best shot at both. I'm not saying INXS doesn't like J.D., but I'm saying that this could not have worked out any better for them, and even if they didn't like him the best, there was no way to forgoe this opportunity, especially considering that they are only tied to it for one year. I only offer this as an aside look at our money hungry world, which is especially apparent in the music business. Nevertheless, clearly J.D. was indeed their man and I personally had a feeling that wow, INXS looked natural and complete during "Easy Easy". The rest of the guys did look old, though, lol!

09-21-05, 01:25 PM (EST)
3. "One more..."
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001177625

09-21-05, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jpl68 Click to send private message to jpl68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: One more..."
Wow, two things I found interesting about this article. The first is that it states "Pretty Vegas" was recorded before the final taping?

The second is that the article states that it was his performance of "What you Need" that convinced the band. This statement is probably just the reporters version based upon the format of how the show is set up, i.e., they both sang an INXS song and then one was chosen. But if INXS actually made that statement, I would find that strange, as I think they even stated that the decision had basically been made for a while?

Oh well, just thought it was interesting.

By the way, is anyone else getting a lot of stuff done today? I am after basically doing nothing Monday and Tuesday in anticipation for the final.

LaLaLisa 296 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-22-05, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LaLaLisa Click to send private message to LaLaLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: One more..."
"The second is that the article states that it was his performance of "What you Need" that convinced the band. This statement is probably just the reporters version based upon the format of how the show is set up, i.e., they both sang an INXS song and then one was chosen. But if INXS actually made that statement, I would find that strange, as I think they even stated that the decision had basically been made for a while?"

Nah, they've said that they've known since the FIRST song writing clinic that JD was the only one who got it.

09-21-05, 01:45 PM (EST)
4. "and another..."
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,17414,00.html?fdnews

09-21-05, 02:33 PM (EST)
6. "RE: and another..."
I wish someone would write a book on all that goes on behind the scenes. Like for example, the article mentions "Easy Easy" is coming out today (the other article mentioned "Pretty Vegas" was comming out today) but whichever it is it had to have been recorded before the final. Thus with each sequestered in a hotel room having no contact with each other, I wonder if Marty laid down vocals on the song, or with J.D. being their choice, only he did a head of time, of course being told that they both were?

09-21-05, 04:39 PM (EST)
7. "Dave Navarro's blog"
This Dave's take on lastnight.

http://6767.com/

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-22-05, 08:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Pretty Vegas"
INXS will release a single on Thursday through Sony BMG, titled Pretty Vegas.

That would be a smart thing to do in Canada. This show has been enormously successful here (Finale was # 1 show Tuesday night) and Pretty Vegas would get a lot of airplay because it would fall under the CanCon (Canadian Content) rules which state that 35% of music on the radio has to have Canadian Content. As JD co-wrote and sang Pretty Vegas it would apply. Easy Easy would not. Why not tap into a huge market that already exists and make radio stations play it.

Also, I was watching Entertainment Tonight Canada last night. Tim and JD were on and Tim said that Pretty Vegas was the turning point for JD.

09-22-05, 10:20 AM (EST)
10. "New article"
This article made me laugh. JD does get the last laugh over Zach (Canadian Idol judge) who told him he had no talent.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2005/09/22/1229727.html

09-22-05, 10:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LaLaLisa Click to send private message to LaLaLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: New article"
"J.D. Fortune sounds like a stage name. Well, it is ... but it isn't.

Fortune, whose real name is Jason Dean Bennison, adopted his performance monicker from his mom's side of the family.

"My parents split up when I was young and I decided Fortune was who I am, because my mom raised me," J.D. said.

J.D.'s grandmother, Joan Fortune, couldn't be more proud."

And that part made me go, "awwwww"

"According to Dave Gunning, one of J.D.'s high school buddies, Fortune deserves to finally have some financial security.

"J.D. is someone I was pretty worried about," said Gunning, who played guitar on Fortune's original demo tape for Rock Star: INXS. "He had to use my cellphone to call L.A. back when he was first getting involved in this.

"This is a rags-to-riches story. But he always was the type of guy who, if he had $5 in his pocket, he spent it on his friends. He's very close to his mom (Sandra) and his sister (Sarah) and now he has the means to do something financially for them." "

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-22-05, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Another J.D. Fortune Article w/Bio"
Found this today & it's really good.

http://www.rockband.com/rock-star-inxs/jd-fortune.asp

cheesybread 198 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-23-05, 11:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cheesybread Click to send private message to cheesybread Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Another J.D. Fortune Article w/Bio"

Thanks CattyChat. That is the best Article on JD I have read so far. It was actually thought about.

Most of the others regurgitate (sp?) the same information over and over.

09-22-05, 02:44 PM (EST)
13. "music..."
Here is a site if you want to hear or see JD music.

http://www.promoinnovations.com/jdfortune/music/index.htm

09-22-05, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: music..."
Great, I now have 3 J.D. Fortune Web sites & the INXS Web site all set as favorites for quick linkup. Also added a J.D. Fortune wallpaper to my desktop. My obsession continues . . .

09-23-05, 10:31 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Another one..."
J.D. looks ahead to life of the famous

Jessica Whitby
CanWest News Service

Thursday, September 22, 2005

TORONTO -- Less than 24 hours after his big win on the reality show Rock Star: INXS, Nova Scotian J.D Fortune already had a metaphor ready to describe his newly acquired celebrity.
"As far as being famous, I think fame is like honey on a knife. It tastes sweet at first but if you lick too much, you just might end up cutting your tongue. So, you just try to maintain a cool head about yourself," he said on Wednesday, during a a phone interview from Los Angeles.
On Tuesday night Australian rockers INXS decided Fortune, who beat 14 other contestants, was the right guy to front the band.
Along with the fame will likely come the temptations of sex, women, drugs and alcohol.
Fortune, who has openly discussed his past drug habits in his online blog, said he won't be swayed too easily.
"I've been in bands where there has been all that. And I've been through that stage in my life. I'm sure that the guys in INXS have also been exposed to that. But this is about making music," he says.
Fortune, who was born in Ontario, credits his five brothers for keeping him grounded.
He'll look to them to answer his questions because Fortune is all too aware he has a tough act to follow.
"Michael (Hutchence) is a light that will never die. And we, as fans, honour that. And as a band, honour that," he said.
Hutchence, INXS's original frontman, hanged himself in 1997.
Fortune doesn't want to replace Hutchence's legacy, but he says the band is "not finished their journey and I'm just along with them."
And to those who call him another 15-minute pre-fab wonder, Fortune pointed out the differences between his show and its competitors.
"American Idol is a star based on what they are telling you a star is. It is fame based on that, talent based on that. This is a band that has been there -- they have been one of the biggest bands on the planet. And for them to mentor us into this, they are nurturing us into this position as opposed to another show that is trying to weed out people and say: 'You're terrible, You're terrible.' "
INXS, and their newest member, will launch a concert tour that begins in the U.S. in January.
A special encore presentation of Rock Star: INXS featuring J.D.'s victory will be broadcast this Sunday at 5 p.m. on Prime.
-- National Post

09-23-05, 11:40 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Another one..."
Thanks for another fantastic post, Loree. That J.D. is so eloquent with his words. He & INXS are going to be big together.

09-23-05, 12:58 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Another one..."
Yeah, now I have the mental image of JD licking honey........................

09-23-05, 10:51 AM (EST)
16. "MiG's sour grapes"
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,16689146-5001025,00.html

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-05, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: MiG's sour grapes"
Meow! The claws have come out on Mr. Nice Guy, haven't they?

Pffffft! Whatevah! If he's such a rock star, why didn't he ever act like one?

I'm such a slut for the blues.

photokitty 298 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-05, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail photokitty Click to send private message to photokitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: MiG's sour grapes"
I'm not familiar with this paper, so I don't know if it's a tabloid or part of the "legit" press. (Fiction vs. Fact) That said, my response has the caveat that it only applies if the "quote" has not been invented.

MiG has to believe that he lost only because of image. If he faced the truth and believed that he lost because of his voice and performances, that would be more devastating. It would be much harder to go on. Never underestimate the power of denial.

Moother 132 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-05, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Moother Click to send private message to Moother Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: MiG's sour grapes"
Well, I have mixed feelings when I read that article.
Part of what he says is correct and part is denial.
I definitely think they should have called J.D. first and then the others on the destruction of property at the mansion for example the cake throwing, chairs in the pool and other things he took the lead in. Yes I realize that others followed some of in stupidity but that doesn't make it right. I really don't think destruction of hard earned goods is ever acceptable unless you had to break a chair leg off and defend your life!
But I also don't think MIG ended up being the right person for the band vocally. Mig was a good entertainer and I really think he is a better singer than we saw. It appeared to me that he let his nerves get to him during many of his performances and tended to over think his stage presence. That along with pants that were to tight were his achilles heel.

09-23-05, 01:08 PM (EST)
26. "Destruction of property"
On destruction of property - well, yes, it's unaccpetable if you are a police officer or teacher or any normal kind of person. I did wonder who was the poor schlub who has to clean up after all that cake.

However, I don't think anyone should be looking for a rock star to be a role model in any positive societal way. Unlike athletes - who are participating in a family entertainment, they are marketed to little kids, excel requires discipline, a clean body, etc.. They can be expected to live up to some sort of exptectations.

Rock, on the other hand, is pretty much about breaking the rules, anti-authority by definition. There is no expectation that they follow the rules. They are SUPPOSED to do things that are unacceptable in regular society.

09-23-05, 11:46 AM (EST)
21. "RE: MiG's sour grapes"
I am not surprised by this at all. A few weeks into the show, I figured that MiG was a backstabber & fake. He puts up that, I'm a goody-goody trying to only do good things, but always had backhanded comments & sour looks when things didn't go the way he wanted it.

It's a shame he is being such a sore loser. Like Ty, his being chosen has nothing to do with where his talents lie, it's just that he's not right for INXS. And for him to say that J.D. won because INXS was looking for a bad boy . . . just pathetic.

I said it before how J.D. has mentioned a few times that he counted MiG as one of his best friends from the show & yet MiGgie was stabbing him in the back the entire time. It's called being two-faced & MiG is the master.

09-23-05, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cheesybread Click to send private message to cheesybread Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: MiG's sour grapes"

100% agree!

09-23-05, 01:15 PM (EST)
27. "RE: MiG's sour grapes"
"Like Ty, his being chosen has nothing to do with where his talents lie, it's just that he's not right for INXS."

Not right, as in maybe a nice voice, but no charisma, rockitivity or balls. Remember, these are the creative genuii that gave us, "Stop! Go!"

That whole team should have been sent home packing after their dinner with INXS to go play with their sound system. That was such an abomination! "Electric Company" is how I think Dave put it.

Neither MiG nor Ty get it. If they had real rock chops AND artistic integrity, they would've said, "We can't do this." They proved that great music and great rock is way less important to them than having a good time.

09-23-05, 12:39 PM (EST)
23. "RE: MiG's sour grapes"

I tend to dissagree with everyone on MiG. I think he WONT be a star. At least not a rock star. One thing that his singing of BoRhap told me was he is barking up the wrong tree. His true calling IS the musical. Why be afraid of that? Why not embrace it? I bet he gets more offers in the theatre then interest from the (popular) music industry.

But he won't get very far at all if he keeps that huge chip on his shoulder and remains bitter.

09-24-05, 12:34 PM (EST)
28. "another article"
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004580002-2005440392,00.html

09-24-05, 12:35 PM (EST)
29. "An article about the songs on the new CD, etc."
http://www.suntimes.com/output/rock/cst-ftr-inxs24.html

09-24-05, 01:30 PM (EST)
30. "RE: An article about the songs on the new CD, etc."
Thanks for your continued postings, Loree. Great articles. That J.D. is making his mum proud. Every day I am more anxious for the album to come out. I've been the optimist from the beginning of Rock Star INXS that if they chose the right frontman, they could have a serious comeback. I am ready for that comeback. J.D. + INXS = SPARK & EXPLOSION!!

09-24-05, 02:13 PM (EST)
31. "An article about JD watching the show with Jon"
http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2005/09/24/fEntertainment254.raw.html

09-24-05, 02:38 PM (EST)
32. "New J.D. Site & Interview pre-Finale"
Here is another J.D. Fortune Web site from our neighbors to the north: http://www.imagesandwords.com/jdfortune/

Also, here is a nice interview Q&A just prior to the finale with some new little tidbits.

We chat with the competition: J.D. Fortune
By Karen Budell / Metromix

Chicago has Marty mania as fans follow their hometown hero in the race to lead INXS, but Marty Casey has two contenders to face at the finale of "Rock Star: INXS." We caught up with Canadian J.D. Fortune, 32, in a phone call from the rockers' mansion in the Hollywood Hills to find out why he thinks he's the right fit for the band.

What was one of your favorite performances you gave on the show?

I have to say my favorite performance was when Marty and I escaped the "Rock Star" mansion. We got in a little bit of trouble, but we escaped anyway. It was good. But my favorite stage performance would have to be, I'd have to say the night of "Come As You Are" and "Pretty Vegas" was a very special night for me. Also, just doing "Suspicious Minds" and getting rid of that sort of Elvis thing that followed me here under a veil, you know what I mean.

What do you think sets you apart from the other finalists to make you the right man for the job?

I just believe in heart, and I think that INXS and I share the same heart. And if you follow that heart you can't go wrong. And obviously they're following theirs by continuing on because they're not finished yet, and I'm following mine which brought me to here. So hopefully that will take us down the road together.

What, if anything, is working against you as you move into the finale?

Yes, the production staff here is working against me. No, I'm just kidding. It's a conspiracy. I would have to say the only thing that would be working against me would maybe be if I didn't connect with INXS the way I feel like I can. Maybe they haven't seen it yet. That's about the only thing I can say. If they have, then hopefully we'll have no problems with regards to life on the road together and in the studio. But I'm hoping they're going to give me that chance.

What are some of INXS' critiques that you've really taken to heart, and how has that helped you grow?

I've really taken to heart just being in the moment and owning the stage and not having to perform outwards, but having my performance be that that is derived from some place within that draws the audience into me as opposed to going out there like a monkey attached to an organ grinder, you know what I mean? Just dancing and moving around and being very manic. I think I've come along way since then.

What have you been doing to prepare for the finale?

Just remembering why I came here in the first place, and that's because of INXS. And I would probably never do another reality TV show ever again, but if INXS asked me to I'd do this 1,000 times over just to show them how much I want to be in their band. And as far as the finale goes, I'm just concentrating right now. I picked a new song again, and I'm concentrating just on making that be felt and not heard. I think at this point it's about feel. They know we can sing and they know we can perform on stage, but I think they need to see who's going to make them feel that performance.

What are your favorite INXS songs?

"Heaven Sent," "The Stairs," "Devil Inside," top three.

What did you sing at your INXS audition?

"Never Tear Us Apart."

Did you do any originals as well?

I did, I did a couple originals. And I thought I had a really crappy first audition, and by the grace of god and a producer by the name of Dino, he asked me to come back the next day and sing for INXS.

Out of the other rockers, who would you be most interested in working with in the future?

I could tell you right now, I'd be interested in working with Ty Taylor, Brandon Calhoun and Suzie McNeil.

In terms of your life before this, you were living out of your car for awhile; how has that helped shape you?

Well I think when you hit sort of a proverbial rock bottom you have a choice: you can either stay there and wallow in self pity or you can step up and say, 'OK, I'm gonna dust myself off one more time.' And that's exactly what I did. Being in that position in my life gave me focus on what's important – money, fame, all that stuff set aside – it's really about being human. And that's what brought me to the show, and that's what I've learned being on the show: just to be a human being.

Did you get a tattoo at the mansion?

I did. I got 448 tattooed on my neck. The tattoo artist's name was Gabrielle, he tattooed 448 on the right side of my neck.

What does that mean for you, 448?

It's kind of a personal thing, but it is numerology sort of thing. It would take me a long time just to break it down. If I know things are going well, I see 448s in phone numbers, in receipts and I see that number everywhere. And it's just a sign that I'm doing the right thing.

You've been able to sing your original "Pretty Vegas" four times on the show. How does that feel?

It's such a feeling of gratification. It's actually sort of overwhelming and I'm still riding that high, that buzz, of what's going on. I mean, 'How are people interested in this?' And it's so flattering to look out into a crowd and see people mouthing back the words to your song. Let alone know that it's touching people in their living rooms right across the world. That's a pretty special thing and I honor it very much and I plan on writing regardless of what happens here, and hopefully I'll be writing with INXS.

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-25-05, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "No Grudges"
I noticed in one of the many article that Loree and Chatty have found (good work!) that JD says he would still really like to work with Ty, Brandon and Suzie. Guess he hasn't heard all of Ty's b!tching...either that or Ty's comments have been widely exagerated in the press.

09-25-05, 11:52 AM (EST)
34. "Final 4 Interview of J.D."
Here is one more pre-finale interview of J.D., further evidence of his humility & some interesting tidbits of what it was like in the house & the process.

AN INXS concert date in Nova Scotia is a distinct possibility if J.D. Fortune has any say in it.

"Oh, yeah, man. You've got it, brother. That would be absolutely amazing," Fortune enthused during a phone interview Tuesday from Los Angeles.

Fortune, an Oakville, Ont. resident who is originally from Salt Springs, Pictou Co., may get to exert some influence over the veteran Australian hitmakers if he emerges as the winner of Rock Star INXS, the CBS summer reality series from Mark Burnett.

Fortune is among the final four vocalists fighting to front the band and was scheduled to perform his original song Pretty Vegas as well as Money by Pink Floyd on Tuesday night's performance show.

INXS has effectively rejuvenated its career through the series. Although not necessarily a broad ratings success, the series has managed to attract a slice of the 18 to 49 demographic pie which, presumably, owns copies of INXS hit albums like Kick and X.

The band has been without a prominent frontman since the death of the charismatic Michael Hutchence in 1997. INXS had worked for three years with Australian singer Jon Stevens but did not release any recordings. Stevens left to pursue a solo career in 2003.

But the winner of the reality show ostensibly gets to front a band that's making its way back to the top. A new CD, fittingly titled Switch, is to be released Nov. 29 and it will feature the band's new singer.

Or could that be singers? Fortune said that the vocalists have started to wonder if INXS could select more than one winner.

"We've actually kind of toyed with that idea and thought, 'Wouldn't it be cool if they had three singers singing their whole set?' One would come out and do a half an hour, then another half an hour and then another half an hour. That way there would never be any sort of living up to the light that Michael Hutchence was in that band and just have fun with it. But you know what? I think it's going to end up being just one singer. It's not like Idol where its sort of a manufactured star based on the show. The winner of this will be able to sit and co-write with INXS and Bono and Scott Weiland from Velvet Revolver, who are all fans of INXS."

To that end, Fortune has gone about pursing the prize with a singular zeal. The editing of the reality portions of the series have often painted the 32-year-old as something of a villain executing a strategy to win at all costs.

“I guess I just had a lot of focus on what I wanted to do and how I wanted to get there and I didn't want to make any friends other than the band. But in the last few weeks, you've been with people for two months and they start to rub off on you and stuff that used to annoy you about them you actually start to find quite endearing. So I guess the strategy ended up backfiring but, on the other hand, I ended up learning a lot from it and that's ultimately what brought me to this level because I don't think INXS would ever have anyone in their band that would be coming in with guns-a-blazing all the time," he said.

"I've been fighting since Feb. 4 of this year. That's when I auditioned. This is the final week, man. This is it. I'm really I guess ecstatic wouldn't even begin to describe how ecstatic I am about just making it this far and sharing the stage with such other wonderful artists like Marty (Casey), Suzie (McNeil) and Mig (Ayesa)."

All of the players have had to get used to the insular world of reality TV. Their access to the outside world is limited to such an extent that they don't really have a good idea of how they're coming across on the show. Show business types who have managed to slip business cards to the singers have seen them confiscated by the show's staff.

"It's sort of a need to know basis and it seems like we never need to know so we don't get very much information," Fortune said.

The sense of unreality is only enhanced by staying in the obligatory reality show mansion surrounded by multiple camera and sound crews.

"Well, it's kind of like there's a whirlwind happening around you. It's the hurry up and wait thing. We've got to be on standby for pretty much everything all day long all week. Then the whirlwind picks you up and you're busy, busy, busy and then it sets you back down and you're kind of just standing there watching it work around you," said Fortune.

"When we're eating dinner there's like 60 people with cameras and mics and stuff like that filming that. After about the third week, though, you don't see the cameras, you get used to the routine and you start to adapt to it."

(The desire to keep the talent in a bubble is stressed by one of the show's representatives before this interview starts, to which Fortune advised, "You can ask whatever you want to, brother.")

By early afternoon Tuesday in Nova Scotia, Fortune was getting ready to start his day in California.

"I got up about an hour ago and I'm just having a cup of coffee and a smoke and getting ready to go into rehearsals in about an hour."

The Tuesday night performance shows of the series are taped on Sunday, he said, but Wednesday's elimination show is taped earlier that day.

"It's really quite impressive, their system. We finish shooting that show and two hours later it's on the air. It's unbelievable, with all the edits and everything in it."

Win or lose, Fortune knows he has landed on the radar of millions of music fans who had never heard of the former Elvis Presley impersonator.

"I'm still focused on winning this. I think I can safely say that I still want this more badly than anybody on the show. That's why I'm here. If you start faltering from that it probably comes across on camera and it probably comes across to INXS. When they go to deliberate their decisions I'm sure they've taken all that into consideration and, lucky for me, it's honest I really, really want to be in this band and I've never faltered from that.

"It's crossed my mind in the last week, especially when I was in the bottom three, that if I'm going home today I'm going to try and find myself in a position where I'm still able to create music for a living ."

Fortune said the unique nature of the show, which has allowed weekly participation by viewers who can vote on a website for their favourite performers, is as fresh as INXS's catchy and melodic dance rock.

"One of the things that has made me an INXS fan since I was 11 years old was that they are trend setters," he said.

"There's never been anything like this show. There's American Idol, yeah, but this is new for everybody involved. For them, this is another way to pioneer something."

And if going on a long world tour with savvy musicians 10 or 12 years older sounds like a daunting proposition, Fortune isn't fazed by the idea and would embrace their experience.

"I think the common ground would be that they've been there. At one point they were the biggest band on the planet. So it's not like going to Singapore with a band that you started on Queen Street and they're really wide eyed."

Fortune hopes to tilt the odds in his favour by having his mother (Sandy Fortune), sister (Sarah-Jane Smith) and two cousins (Matthew and Adam Fortune) who he grew up with all in the audience for the last shows.

By TIM ARSENAULT

09-25-05, 03:01 PM (EST)
35. "Sasha says..."
Over at #####.com and Sasha is asked by Rex:

REX: What was your favorite performance so far on RSI?

Sasha: There’s been so many of them... JD’s original song, Pretty Vegas, really rocked. It made me feel like when I used to play with Billy Idol. Playing with Nate on that song, in particular, is heaven. That guy is awesome. All the guys are awesome. It’s great to know that when you’re playing everyone on stage has your back. I have no worries when I’m out there.

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-05, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: What the Aussie press says..."
Thanks to everyone for sharing all the great articles and interviews!

I think this was the most satisfying ending to any reality show I've seen in a long long time.

Not only did INXS find a terrific lead singer to carry on their band, but they helped discover great talent in some of the other performers.
Great show, great result! And I thoroughly enjoyed every week!

Congrats to JD and to INXS, I wish them much success together.
I know I'm buying the CD.

Thanks to everyone on the board that shared information and opinions. Especially Loree for all her work to bring us info from other places.

09-26-05, 11:09 AM (EST)
37. "Kind of funny"
LAST EDITED ON 09-26-05 AT 11:10 AM (EST)

Edited to delete

09-26-05, 11:29 AM (EST)
38. "One more...."
http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,16715517-7484,00.html

09-27-05, 11:13 AM (EST)
39. "still more press..."
The Hamilton Spectator

Life speeds up INXS's newest member is in whirlwind of interviews and recording J.D. Fortune has been an official member of INXS for four days now, but it still hasn't fully sunk in.

"We did the Ellen DeGeneres show,'' the 32-year-old Oakville rocker told theSpectator yesterday in an interview from Los Angeles."And when Ellen said 'INXS is here,' I said to myself, 'That's right. That's all of us. I'm part of this band. That's great.'"

Fortune was crowned new lead singer for the multi-platinum Australian band Tuesday on the TV reality show Rock Star: INXS before millions of viewers around the world. Some eight million watched it on CBS in the U.S.Another 543,000 watched it on CH in the Toronto and Vancouver areas alone,making it as big a hit as CTV's Canadian Idol.His life has become a whirlwind of interviews, TV appearances and recording sessions."I've done over 100 interviews. Two days ago, I did over 14 hours of press while I was doing a 12-hour recording session.

"They set up a camera and phone lines in the studio. I'd go in, cut some vocals and then they'd say, 'We need you on the phone.'Fortune spent the last two months living in a Hollywood mansion with 14 other contenders to replace Michael Hutchense, the INXS frontman who died in 1997.

This week, Fortune moved into an L.A. condo where he'll live until the band finishes recording an album tentatively titled Switch.It's scheduled for release Nov. 29. The day after he won the reality show talent contest, he recorded the vocals and put finishing touches on Pretty Vegas, the song he wrote at the Rock Star mansion.

It's already been released to some U.S. radio stations and will be marketed worldwide as the first single off the new album Oct. 4."To be honest with you, my feet haven't touched the ground since the finale,"he says."My mom (Sandra Fortune of Westville, N.S.) is staying with me right now and I had to ask her what day it was today when I woke up.All I know is that it's still September."

Although the five original members of INXS have been working on the album throughout the summer, Fortune says he still has a tremendous amount of input.

He says the band has about 100 songs in the works and, over the next three weeks, will record a dozen for the final product."So what I'm doing right now, as you can hear the music in the background,is listening to the tunes, the ones that I relate to ... some of them have lyrics on them and some of them don't. They're just bed tracks, so I still get very much of an input."

Fortune gets an equal share of whatever profits the record generates and the subsequent world tour, expected early next year."Everything is split equally," he says of his arrangement with the band that has sold more than 30 million records since 1980.

"I'm a full member of the band. That's how they stayed together for 25-plus years." Fortune says he's eager to get in touch with old friends in Oakville, many of whom helped him with handouts and places to stay before he auditioned for Rock Star this spring.At that time, Fortune, a former Elvis impersonator, was living out of his car.

"I'm just so humbled and grateful to everyone for all the support.''

09-27-05, 12:18 PM (EST)
40. "RE: still more press..."
Another awesome posting, Loree. I'm just so damned happy for J.D. & those of us J.D. fans/supporters & INXS fans whose wish was granted, in that J.D. has become the new front man.

This is going to be great, I just feel it. I am especially happy to see that INXS is giving him an equal share in the profits, i.e., he really is a full-fledged, solidly supported member of INXS. I think that goes to show what the founding members think of our J.D. I anxiously await to see what the album brings Nov. 29th.

Did I mention how happy & excited I am? Sheez, you'd think I won the gig

But I have won, in that my band, INXS, is set for
a HUGE comeback with sexy J.D. Fortune at the helm . . .

09-27-05, 12:55 PM (EST)
41. "RE: still more press..."
Yes, I think it's great that JD is a full member. When INXS toured before with lead singers they just paid them a wage and sang old songs. But now they have made JD a full member and they are recording a new album and writing new songs. They are moving forward instead of living in the past.

And it's sweet that his mom is staying with him.

09-27-05, 01:57 PM (EST)
42. "Aussie Radio spot"
OK I just listened to a really long radio interview I downloaded that was done with everyone after the finale. The DJ talked with most members of INXS including JD and Marty, Mark Burnett and Dave Navarro.

These are the new things I learned. The band now calls JD Jason. They took him immediately back into their dressing room and said welcome to the INXS inner sanctum. They told him he was now part of their band and they all told JD they loved him and hugged him. Garry Gary told that although they really liked JD and Marty both. They only felt like a real band with JD. When Marty was on stage with them it was like they were watching him perform in front of them. Where JD just fit right in and they felt like JD was part of the band with them. It felt more natural and JD just clicked with them. Kirk said they never needed a democracy to vote the majority to pick JD. He said it was unanimous that they wanted JD. Jon said the one person he was surprised that went home early was Neal. Jon said that Neal had that young Mick Jagger thing which was something that Michael had been compared to. But Jon said when Neal screwed up on that last song they knew they needed to boot him. Garry Gary told about finding out Michael was dead and where they were, etc. The song Never Tear Us Apart was played when they took Michael's coffin out of the church. They talked again about the thunder clouds and rain that broke out of a clear sky at Michael's funeral. And how the same thing happened the day they picked JD for the band. They said the females in the INXS entourage got really weepy over this because they were sure it meant Michael was there and he approved. INXS said both JD and Marty were close to being booted very early in the comp. But they were the 2 that listened to the advice and acted on it more than any other contestants. They thought that Marty and JD grew the most. And Garry Gary said that MiG just reverted to his stage ways at the end and didn't really grow like Marty and JD. I really get the impression that INXS did not care for MiG. There are always little digs about him. Like in another radio interview before the finale when Tim was joking with the Aussie radio guy that MiG was more of a shandy. That is a beer and lemonade drink that old women drink. They were making fun of MiG even before the show was over. I am sure he only stayed in the comp because of all his fans and votes. Mark Burnett said he was leary of doing this show because he didn't want to make fun of the contestants. I guess making them out to be villains was okay though. I notice that all of INXS is very protective of JD and always stick up for him whenever a reporter mentions anything bad about him. It is kind of sweet. Garry Gary said he knew JD was playing the game early on and has admitted it. But he was smart enough to change his ways.

09-27-05, 03:15 PM (EST)
44. "RE: Aussie Radio spot"
This is great, Loree! I've been enjoying all the posts you've put up. Can you give us the link to the interview?

09-27-05, 04:08 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Aussie Radio spot"
I think this link will give it to you. I actually downloaded from a different place in 3 separate downloads because it is long. I haven't listened to this one to check. But I think it's the same one I listened to. Give it a try.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RS5LR89X

09-27-05, 03:29 PM (EST)
45. "Canadian Radio spot"
Thanks for the post, Loree. I was trying to see if I could find it to listen myself, because it sounds like a great interview. I did find this other interview of J.D. shortly after he won It's short & sweet. The more I hear from this guy, the more in lust with him I get.

The link is the 3rd topic down, with a pic of our boy
http://www.680news.com/gallery/audio.jsp

09-27-05, 02:21 PM (EST)
43. "EOnline"
http://www.eonline.com/Features/Features/FallMusicGuide05/Interviews/index4.html

09-28-05, 08:52 AM (EST)
47. "2-page article"
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/arts/story.html?id=d4e3d06e-f876-4503-86ba-e0c7088463e8

09-28-05, 09:43 AM (EST)
48. "more...."
Cover Story: Fortune favours the bold
TERRINA HUSSEIN
Sept 28:

TERRINA HUSSEIN pens what happened when the cameras stopped rolling!

IT was touch and go during the INXS: Rock Star Grand Final last week, as all three finalists put on a crowd stopping show.

The energy was high in the East block of CBS, as hundreds of fans took their place, ready to cheer on their favourites.

Before taping of the show began, US comedian Mark B came out to warm up the rock and roll craving, hungry masses. His humour kept the audience in stitches.

As the band warmed up, Mark set up a clapping and screaming session with the audience.

After an ear shattering communal screaming session, it was time for the girls to test their vocals, then the guys.

Mark said: “Let me hear the boys now! Okay! Great! Now everyone else!”

Mark also had some advice for the females in the crowd.

“There are so many pretty girls in the audience tonight, but when you chew gum, you kind of look like cows on camera! So I suggest you get rid of the gum when the cameras start rolling!”

Soon it was time for the real thing.

To the sounds of the INXS track Suicide Blonde, the three finalists, Mig Ayesa, Marty Casey and J.D. Fortune, walked on stage and took their bows.

Dave Navarro was introduced next, followed by the men of INXS.

Navarro did his round of mandatory chats with the three finalists, all aired in the show. But there were a few things that didn’t make it to air.

After Navarro asked J.D. if he thought of driving his new Honda Civic into the pool at the end of the show, saying that would’ve been the ‘rock and roll’ thing to do, J.D. replied: “I thought about it, but then I thought, where am I going to live if this doesn’t work out.” (in reference to him previously living out of his car when he was younger).

What television audiences didn’t see was the question after that, when Navarro asked J.D.: “How did you feel when you got the Honda Civic?”

“There aren’t enough words to describe it...,” J.D. began, adding sarcastically, “it’s great, it’s compact, has great air conditioning... it’s a spiffy little car!”

Navarro said jokingly to the crowd: “When they wrote that question down for me, I thought it was pretty stupid too, but, what’re you going to do? Sponsors are sponsors!”

Back to the show and it was time for the first finalist, Australia’s entry, Mig Ayesa, to do his thing.

Singing the Queen classic, Bohemian Rhapsody, Ayesa brought the house down, which earned him accolades from INXS, including a standing ovation from Navarro and half of INXS.

J.D. Fortune was up next, and the ladies man dished out the Rolling Stones classic, You Can’t Always Get What You Want.

Having toned down an earlier controversy, where he claimed that while the other contestants had to learn INXS’s songs, he knew them because he loved the band, J.D. told INXS, here ‘stands before them a guy who loves them deeply’.

J.D.’s standing ovation from all INXS members and Navarro, and Navarro’s comment that they were all ‘truly in awe of your performance,’ kind of secured his place at the top of the rock and roll chain.

Finally, it was Marty Casey’s turn to show them what he had to offer, singing Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here, he toned down his ‘scary conductor’ attitude, and still delivered a high-energy performance.

Saying that he learnt from INXS that ‘less was more’, Marty’s fans made it hard for INXS to comment on his performance, with Tim Farriss saying to the screaming crowd: “I think he gets the hint, guys!”

Then it was time for some off air entertainment, as INXS went retreated to make their final decision.

Mark B was back on stage, looking for willing audience members to participate in a quick little rap contest.

The song was the hip hop classic, Rappers Delight, by Sugar Hill Gang.

First up was a young lady, who didn’t fare too well, with Mark saying, “that was the whitest version of that song ever performed! Can anyone else do any better?”

A little American guy jumped on stage.

“Yeah, that’s just great,” Mark said sarcastically when he saw who was up next, “let’s see if the short white guy is any better!”

But, to everyone’s surprise, the ‘short white guy’ knew all the words to the almost five-minute long rap song, and danced the part to boot, and quickly become a crowd favourite, shocking everyone into laughter.

“What the hell just happened?!” Mark laughed when it was all over.

“Who the hell was that guy?” Navarro asked, running back into the studio to catch a glimpse of the sudden accidental star of the show.

“If we have a season two of this show, it should be Rap Star! That was incredible! You’re incredible!” Navarro said.

Finally, it was the moment of truth as the three finalists were marched back on stage.

After Tim Farriss told the three that “only one can be right for the band”, Mig Ayesa was sent off stage, leaving the futures of Marty Casey and J.D. hanging by a thread.

“J.D., you’re right for our band,” Farriss said to the screams of both J.D. and the crowd.

Then J.D. and INXS performed INXS’s new first single, Easy Easy, live together for the first time as a complete band, with J.D. signing off with “Ladies and Gentlemen ... we are, INXS!”

J.D.’s Fortune

THE biggest issue the newly reformed INXS has to contend with is lead singer, J.D. Fortune’s nationality.

Australia’s biggest rock band, has just signed a Canadian on to replace Michael Hutchence.

That might not go down well with their loyal Australian fans.

“I guess the Aussies are going to be pissed off!” Kirk Pengilly told the Buzz, after the show.

“But we can’t please everyone, and we had to pick who we thought was right for our band.”

Unlike other reality shows, Rock Star: INXS wasn’t open to public vote, with the INXS members deciding amongst themselves who would be the best to join them on tour and in the recording studio.

“It was a majority vote,” Pengilly explained. “...but, it was unanimous!” he laughed.

“There were definitely factions in the INXS camp along the way... there were those who were pro-female singer, for obvious reasons!

“But in the end, we wanted everyone to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of all the contestants, which will explain to the public why we chose who we chose,” he said.

Over the years, INXS has had big names like Terence Trent D’Arby and fellow Aussie Jimmy Barnes, to sing with them at gigs, but when it came to picking a permanent replacement, they decided to go with a relative unknown.

“We wanted fresh blood,” Pengilly said.

“We scoured the world for someone, and this competition was open to everyone, including established names too.”

Did they have any famous musicians try out and not make the cut?

“Well... I don’t want to really name any names!” Pengilly smiled.

“But I will say that we had one of the Status Quo members’ son who auditioned, and one of the T-Rex members’ sons auditioned as well. It was an open call, and all who auditioned had their own kind of experience, including the final 15 contestants. They all had their own bands and they’ve done their singing in bars and such.”

When you’re a band as big as INXS, you can’t have anyone hogging your limelight.

Though the three finalists were of equal talent, there were little differences that in the end decided the winner.

Marty Casey was too much of a livewire on stage, Mig Ayesa was more of theatre and stage artiste.

J.D. however, blended with the band, not stealing anyone’s attention, while adding to the overall presence of INXS.

“Well, yeah, he does mesh well with us on stage,” Pengilly agreed.

“We were looking for someone who turned heads. J.D. has that combination of charisma, danger, and sex appeal that all great front men have.

“We really dragged them (the contestants) through the coals the past three months, and we feel confident that J.D. has all the goods.”

Has the reality of the situation sunk in yet for J.D.?

“The first thing they said to me was ‘don’t mess up!’ ”J.D. laughed.

“Seriously though, the guys (INXS) opened up to me backstage, so it’s kind of becoming real now,” said a tired J.D.

“We start recording in three days,” he continued, “and I still can’t believe it.”

Having once lived in his car, because he couldn’t afford rent, to living in the extra luxurious rock mansion, to now being the new face of INXS, one wonders where J.D. , a native of Oakville, just outside Nova Scotia in Canada, will next call home.

“I’ll sleep in a tent if I have to!” J.D. laughed, “I’m just so, so happy to be here.”

* INXS kicks off its world tour in its native Australia, after the release of the upcoming album next year.

The MALAYSIAN connection

FORTUNE is his name and now his destiny. Thousands of screaming fans, an album deal and a world tour await him.

J.D. Fortune was made a Rock Star, as rock and roll history was made last week, at the CBS studios, on the corner of Beverly and Genesi, in the heart of Los Angeles, walking away as the winner of Rock Star: INXS.

He was hand picked by the remaining INXS members, Kirk Pengilly, Garry Beers, and the Farriss brothers, Tim, Andrew and Jon, to take the place of their fallen front man, Michael Hutchence, who killed himself in 1997.

J.D. has big shoes to fill, but the crowd favourite seems to have the panache, talent and drive to pull it off.

And let’s not forget, he’s developing a fanbase that seems to grow faster than his fast expanding bank balance.

But, there’s still one simple thing the young Canadian wants to do.

“I just want to put on my ‘kasut’ and go for a ‘jalan’,” J.D. told the Buzz with a smile, at CBS Studios, Los Angeles, after rehearsals for the Grand Finals.

Yup, that was INXS’s new front man, the Canadian born and raised J.D. ‘almost’ speaking Malay.

J.D., together with the other two finalists, Mig Ayesa and Marty Casey, met with about 30 lucky competition winners from around the world in an informal meet and greet session the night before he was crowned the winner.

Now, before rock fans get all excited, J.D. Fortune is not another Guy Sebastian, he’s never lived in Malaysia before.

“My Godparents are from Penang,” J.D. explained to this curious writer.

“My parents got divorced when I was younger, and my Malay Godparents, who were my Mother’s friends, raised me for a few years.” He said.

“I love sarongs... they’re just the greatest things aren’t they?” he claimed.

Why wouldn’t you, they come with automatic and instant in-built air conditioning.

“Exactly! They’re so airy, you got to love them!”

But J.D., who also just quit smoking, is not the only Rock Star: INXS finalist with ties to Malaysia.

Mig Ayesa, who is half-Australian and half-Filipino, also has fond memories of our little country.

“I’ve performed in Malaysia before!” Mig said excitedly once he found out how far this writer travelled to get to meet and greet him.

“Yeah, I performed somewhere called ‘busaya’...” he said unsure, “idaya?” he continued.

In a bid to try and figure out where he performed, I needed to know what exactly he performed.

“Oh, I was in Fame,” he said with a proud smile.

“Istana Budaya,” I said with an equally proud smile.

“Yes! That was it! Did you go watch Fame?”

After telling him yes, it was obvious that if this Rock Star thing didn’t work out for Mig, he still had a good future, and there’s still a high chance Malaysia will see him performing on our stages... just perhaps in tights, instead of leather pants.

Marty Casey, the American who proved the dark horse to get into the top three, seemed a more brooding character than the friendly and fun J.D. and the sweet Mig.

Perhaps he wasn’t happy having to leave the luxury of the Rock Mansion where the contestants had lived and rehearsed for the past three months.

“It was an intense 12 weeks of rock and roll boot camp,” Marty said, “but I think we all went out in style!”

He was referring to Mig, J.D. and his final attempt at rock and roll-ness, when they threw a bunch of chairs into the pool before leaving the mansion for good.

It was J.D. though who charmed the small group of people, as he made his ‘hello’ rounds, quite possibly practicing for his life as a rock star.

09-30-05, 11:47 PM (EST)
49. "About the car...."
September 30, 2005 NATIONAL POST (SPECIAL REPORT: DRIVER'S EDGE)

Living his life on the road to stardom - literally Home, as the adage goes, is where you lay your hat. This, then, would suggest that J.D. Fortune's hat rack used to be the stick shift of a 1990 Nissan beater.

Sure, the singer doesn't have to worry about shelter now that he is fronting one of the world's most successful rock bands. But before winning top prize last week in the CBS/Global/CH TV reality TV show Rock Star: INXS, the Nova Scotia native was a struggling Rock Star: IN A SENTRA.

"Yeah, it was really cramped in there," reminisces the 6-foot-2 Fortune about the car that was -- "because of a bad financial decision" -- home for about a month during his starving artist years in Toronto.

"I couldn't couch hop and impose on my friends for too long," says Fortune,32, on the phone from Los Angeles, where he is rehearsing for an upcoming album and tour with his new band. "And after about two weeks, I just decided I'm not going to bug anybody anymore and decided to live in my car."But it had a great view in the morning, because I could park it anywhere that I wanted to wake up."

OK, so we have all -- for, ahem, various reasons -- crashed in our car at some point, have we not? Flipped the seat back, rolled down the window a bit and let the wind and crickets woo us to sleep. But not in the dead of winter. "Oh, yeah, man," says Fortune with a sigh, "like in February and March, some nights it was, well, kinda chilly."

An understatement, no doubt, but consistent with all his memories of his vehicle-cum-homestead, which he adamantly insists was never a symbol of failure."How did I feel about that car? I loved it," he jumps in, before he has even heard the full question. "When I got kicked out of my , I had to get rid of a lot of stuff, like my microwave and couch. So I ended up living this Gypsy lifestyle in my car, and I loved it because it was the only thing I actually owned."

That kind of intimacy, to be sure, would nurture a special relationship with any vehicle.And Fortune is philosophical about what his beloved Sentra --or any musician's vehicle, for that matter -- can represent. "A place of peace," he explains, sounding more like the strict vegetarian he is than the Epic recording artist he has become. "

is a means to step into traffic and anonymity and just focus on the road ahead ... Something completely different than the hectic day you've just had." Keeping the car quiet after a live performance, he says, was his norm. "It's that moment when I could chill out."However," he is quick to add, "I like to have the tunes blasting on the way to the gig, so I can get into it."

No doubt, the brand new Honda Civic that Fortune and the two Rock Star runners-up won came equipped with one kick-##### stereo. But Fortune will not hear it. The moment he was awarded the Civic, he insists, he knew exactly what he would do with it: donate it to one specific needy family from the flood-and- hurricane-ravaged New Orleans area. "They'd been writing letters to the show," he says. "And I just decided that they would get better use out of it in their lives than I would in mine." Or maybe it was because the erstwhile struggling singer wanted to choose a car more conducive to his new lifestyle and bank account.

Then again, maybe not. When asked what his dream vehicle would be, now that he can afford more than a 15- year-old clunker, Fortune offers, without hesitation, "A 1990 Nissan Sentra."

Ever the Canadian and still clearly conscious of fuel prices,he justifies,with tongue not so firmly planted in cheek, "No, seriously. That's probably what I'd pick.

"She was great on gas!"

10-01-05, 03:45 PM (EST)
50. "RE: About the car...."
Another great article, Loree. Thanks. I know J.D. posted in his blog he was going to donate the car to a needy family related to Katrina and, as we see, he is a man of his word.

10-06-05, 03:47 PM (EST)
51. "Another JD interview"
http://680news.com/gallery/audio.jsp

10-06-05, 04:28 PM (EST)
52. "JD & Garry Gary on the radio"
Here is the download for a radio interview

http://rapidshare.de/files/5946871/01_JD-Garry_Gary_-_The_Mix__10_06_05_.m4a.html

10-08-05, 09:58 AM (EST)
53. "Thanks Loree"
I've been checking here everyday for more links from you. I was slammed with work & working on a new house I bought, so it took me a day before I could listen to the last 2 radio interviews you posted.

They were great!! J.D. does sound exhausted, what a whirlwind he's in, but he sounds so happy & grateful. I can't get enough of the updates. So cute listening him talking about his new gadgets to keep him organized now that he is not trying to make it in the industry, sleeping in his car.

Also like the brief snippet of an interview with Marty right before J.D.'s started where Marty said he was very close friends with J.D. He had a different bond with Jordis, but he & J.D. grew really tight. That Marty didn't let the B.S. get to him, instead he went straight to J.D. with whatever the "talk" around the house was. J.D. respected him for being upfront about the happenings.

Keep them coming, Loree. I'm anxiously awaiting my email in the next couple of days for advance tix purchase -- I'm pretty positive I'm actually going to see them twice, since they have 2 dates set right where I live.

Geg, if you're willing to make a 6 hour drive to Philly, I have an extra bedroom for you to stay. I'm right over the bridge in Jersey, less than 15 min away . . . if LaLa & her FIANCE come up, we can have a JD/INXS-obsessed outing to either the Philly or the Atlantic City show w/afterparty at my "rock mansion" after the Philly show or at a room at the Borgata after the AC show -- I'm hitting BOTH!!!

Anyone else in the Philly/AC vicinity?

10-08-05, 11:23 AM (EST)
54. "RE: Thanks Loree"
LAST EDITED ON 10-08-05 AT 11:31 AM (EST)

I was happy to hear they are going to be on SNL and Letterman. And I will post any interviews I find.

Also I am interested to hear the song "Afterglow" that Andrew wrote for Michael.

10-08-05, 12:08 PM (EST)
55. "RE: Thanks Loree"
Me, too. Can't wait to see them on Letterman & SNL.

For SO MANY reasons, I am so glad J.D. won this thing, not the least of which is that he made it known from THE BEGINNING how much he LOVED INXS. Out of all the contestants, he would show the most respect for the late Michael Hutchence & will do the most justice to the back catalogue & this new song Afterglow.

I'm so excited & can't wait for the album to finally come out.

10-08-05, 01:39 PM (EST)
56. "RE: Thanks Loree"
I am really waiting to see the new Pretty Vegas video. I wonder what they did with that?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •