The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The NEXT episode........"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Contender Forum (Protected)
Original message

contender_girl 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-11-05, 03:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail contender_girl Click to send private message to contender_girl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The NEXT episode........"
Hey all. I read on the NBC site, as most of you may have too, that that next week "one boxer loses in the ring and another one quits". This is kinda confusing. As we all know, the last two fighters are Jimmy and Joey. Originally, I thought that it would be Joey for sure, just because of the whole situation with his father, he is really excited to have him back and wants to see him. But obviously he won't quit before the fight...he's even more determined to fight now! And (if) he loses, he is obviously eliminated automatically. And i don't think it would be Jimmy to quit ...
So , I guess its one of those who has already fought that is going to quit??. What do you guys think?
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The NEXT episode........ Rebellwyr 04-11-05 1
   RE: The NEXT episode........ ARnutz 04-11-05 2
       We know... AyaK 04-11-05 3
           RE: We know... Superbad 04-12-05 4
 Rethought... AyaK 04-12-05 5
 RE: The NEXT episode........ Contender1 04-13-05 6
   RE: The NEXT episode........ Superbad 04-13-05 7
       RE: The NEXT episode........ volsfan 04-13-05 8
           Commission rules AyaK 04-13-05 9
               RE: Commission rules Contender1 04-13-05 10
                   RE: Commission rules volsfan 04-13-05 12
                   RE: Commission rules MDSkinner 04-14-05 14
                       RE: Commission rules Contender1 04-14-05 17
                           RE: Commission rules volsfan 04-14-05 18
                               RE: Commission rules Contender1 04-14-05 21
                                   RE: Commission rules Da Contenda 04-14-05 22
                                   RE: Commission rules volsfan 04-15-05 24
               RE: Commission rules volsfan 04-13-05 11
               RE: Commission rules Superbad 04-14-05 13
                   RE: Commission rules pdaj 04-14-05 15
                       RE: Commission rules volsfan 04-14-05 16
                           40 days AyaK 04-14-05 19
                               RE: 40 days volsfan 04-14-05 20
                                   RE: 40 days DTrump 04-15-05 23
                                       RE: 40 days volsfan 04-15-05 25
                                           RE: 40 days Master B 04-17-05 27
 Reno local news report kay_tin 04-16-05 26

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Rebellwyr 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-11-05, 04:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rebellwyr Click to send private message to Rebellwyr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The NEXT episode........"
I think there may be some confusion on the nbc contender specific page. On NBC's opening page (www.nbc.com) it states: Sunday - Will an underdog prevail . . . or quit?" To me this seems like this conflicts with the statement on the "contender specific page" : "One boxer loses in the ring and another one quits!" I think it can be read to imply that Joey thinks about quiting, but doesn't, and wins. Just a guess.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-11-05, 08:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The NEXT episode........"
Well I agree that Joey doesn't quit, but as you said maybe he contemplates doing so. The previews showed Joey & Jimmy fighting and Joey's dad in the audience cheering him on.

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom!

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

04-11-05, 09:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "We know..."
...that Joey contemplates quitting in the next episode:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID85/98.shtml

pressure and multiple injuries cause one contender to contemplate quitting

Since the only person that we know to be injured AT ALL is Joey, and we even heard him say that the hamstring is still tight this week, this MUST be a reference to Joey.

But he only contemplates quitting; he doesn't quit.

Superbad 98 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-12-05, 01:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Superbad Click to send private message to Superbad Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: We know..."
Speaking of injuries, do you think Juan factors in any of this? After all, he was cut and in the state of California a cut mandates a 45-day suspension. It'd be interesting to see how this plays out...

04-12-05, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Rethought..."
LAST EDITED ON 04-12-05 AT 02:39 PM (EST)

I could see Joey wanting to quit instead of fighting in the second round, especially if he was battered and sore after his victory. But to get there, he'd have to beat Jimmy first. Is it possible that Joey wins (in a substantial upset) and then decides to quit and spend time with his dad while he's healing?

Lord only knows what Burnett would do in that case -- do you bring someone back that LOST a first-round match to fight in the second round? Seems unlikely to me. Seems more likely that Burnett would allow the winner of the first challenge in round 2 to pair himself against the bye, which would place a TREMENDOUS amount of emphasis on winning the challenge. Heck, it might even be a two-part challenge.

In that case, if you were Burnett, might you ... well ... schedule back-to-back episodes for that next week so that someone actually gets eliminated in the second one? Like we now know will take place with Episodes 9 and 10?

That would create a scenario matching up with the NBC Website claim:
Next
One boxer loses in the ring and another one quits!

...but is it probable?

Contender1 10 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-05, 07:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Contender1 Click to send private message to Contender1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The NEXT episode........"
Considering yourselves such avid watchers, you clearly missed a big part of last week's show. Get that TiVO remote and forward to after the scenes for next week where SLY, SRL, and Tommy chat.

Sly tells them that Juan told him he's hurt everywhere. Knowing that the fights take place every 3 days, we know that the multiple injuries are going to force Juan to quit.

Lastly, you can be sure someone's coming back, and I think it's the guy you all love to hate. Ahmed Kaddour. WHY? Because Mark Burnett is a business man, and he knows what good TV is. The guy that could come back that would definetly spice up the show again is Ahmed. That, as well as the point that Sly loved him, Tommy loved him, and ISHE hated him.

As far as him winning the whole thing? Don't count on it, as a matter of fact I don't think he'll win anything.

Pretty good stuff for a first post huh?

04-13-05, 08:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Superbad Click to send private message to Superbad Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The NEXT episode........"
LAST EDITED ON 04-13-05 AT 08:20 PM (EST)

Not bad; like you've been here a while .

Also remember one of them saying that Juan might be out of the tournament cuz' of the cut. He would not be allowed to fight for another month-and-a-half, according to commission rules.

If they do bring someone back I hope it is Jonathan.
But like Ayak, I don't think they will. The concept will have been worn out. I think they go ahead with what they got.

But then again this is the fight game and injuries and pullouts are always to be anticipated, so maybe they might just bring someone back. I doubt it, though.
If they did bring Ahmed back...just imagine: Jesse, Anthony, and Ahmed. Think of the fits Ishe will have LOL!!!

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-05, 08:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The NEXT episode........"
I don't know for sure if the show and the matches fall under the commission rules. Wasn't Peter and Alfonso cut? I recall Peter having a cut above his right eye...didn't he? Also, I know Ishe had a swollen eye that looked really bad was it cut?

I can't imagine Mark Burnette agreeing to do this show in this type of manner (a tournament where there is a match every three days) and risking having to have people set out for 6 weeks waiting for a cut to heal. There would be a total of 14 matches (8 first round + 4 second round + 2 third round) and what are the odds of the winners of all 14 matches come out with no cuts?

I like the way AyaK is thinking above and can't wait to see how it really plays out!

04-13-05, 09:47 PM (EST)
9. "Commission rules"
LAST EDITED ON 04-13-05 AT 09:48 PM (EST)

The show and the matches are indeed governed by the rules of the California State Athletic Commission. But I don't think any of Juan's cuts were bad enough to require a "mandatory" suspension.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/csac/laws/booklet.pdf

If you look, there is a "time between bouts" provision (that was lengthened in 2002, after this booklet was published) that does NOT address 5-round bouts (but you now have to have seven days off (instead of 2) after a bout of 4 or fewer rounds and 10 days off (instead of 4) after a bout of 6 rounds) -- talk about exploiting a loophole!.

I failed to find any source of authority for a "mandatory cut suspension," although there is a requirement that a boxer report any post-fight injury.

04-13-05, 10:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Contender1 Click to send private message to Contender1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Commission rules"
Guys, this wasn't up for discussion, Ahmed's coming back. There are fights every three days, as once reported on this website. Sorry if it bothers you guys.

04-13-05, 10:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Commission rules"
LAST EDITED ON 04-14-05 AT 08:23 AM (EST)

Welcome Contender!

Any and everything is always up for discussion!

Super was the one that brought up the cut and possible having to sit out. The whole discussion I was wanting to bring up was about the rules not Ahmed coming back!

ETA: How do you know for sure that Ahmed comes back?

MDSkinner 716 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-14-05, 11:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MDSkinner Click to send private message to MDSkinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Commission rules"
This is an intriguing response. Do you know this for sure, or is this just grand speculation.

04-14-05, 04:45 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Commission rules"
>This is an intriguing response.
>Do you know this for
>sure, or is this just
>grand speculation.

I guess you'll have to wait and see, but if I had to bet on it, I would guess it will play out how I said it.

I also think it's the wrong move. Like I said Burnett is a business man but the fair move would be bringing back the fighter that hurt Juan right? Then again, it's quiet, classy Tarick, or cocky, controversial Ahmed. Funny, he chose Ahmed isn't it?

04-14-05, 05:10 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Commission rules"
I don't that I buy into Ahmed coming back. The guys voted for the first person to come back and I don't much think they would do anything differently if the situation were to take place again. I think the fact that we have back-to-back episodes may lead us to a setting very similiar to what AyaK layed out above.

Only time will tell.

04-14-05, 10:25 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Commission rules"
LAST EDITED ON 04-14-05 AT 10:28 PM (EST)

>I don't that I buy into
>Ahmed coming back. The guys
>voted for the first person
>to come back and I
>don't much think they would
>do anything differently if the
>situation were to take place
>again. I think the fact
>that we have back-to-back episodes
>may lead us to a
>setting very similiar to what
>AyaK layed out above.
>
>Only time will tell.

Buy this, Ahmed is coming back, Juan is leaving: many injuries which I believe include broken ribs. SLY will most likely influence the vote (if there is one at all) in Ahmed's favor. Like I said before, don't count on him making his mark this time around either. If anyone would like to argue, I'm willing to place a friendly wager giving you 5/1 odds that I'm right. Minimum bet 1000$.

Still, the back to back episodes is kind of interesting. The first one will have the first match of the final 8. It may just be a timing issue, I don't think there are any circumstances that would make it a better option for back to back. My guess is that they had to it sometime, and Burnett thought the beginning of round 2 would be appropriate.

Check this quote out from AHMED:
If I asked you: Sly, Ray or Tommy? What is your first response? Why?
Sly, of course...he is a movie star and a good friend of mine - we have a good relp. He likes me. He told me he wished I was his son.

Da Contenda 21 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-05, 11:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Da%20Contenda Click to send private message to Da%20Contenda Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Commission rules"
"Friendly" wager for $1000??? I hope your joking unless you've got Mark Burnett cash flow!
Obviously you've got some insider info to even bring up this outrageous topic. If it is true, I hope someone roughs him up a bit so we don't have to listen to him talk about his pretty face.

04-15-05, 09:41 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Commission rules"
LAST EDITED ON 04-15-05 AT 09:50 PM (EST)

Buy this, Ahmed is coming back

I don't have to buy it! It may very well play out as you say and we will see in due time.

ETA: See my post in the Juan quits thread. I don't think anyone comes back.

04-13-05, 10:10 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Commission rules"
Thanks AyaK as I didn't do any research on the rules. Interesting that they chose 5 rounds! Also, when the last match occurs during round two, the winner would have to fight 6 days after that match in order to stay with the 3 day rotation...assuming the winner of that last match in round two would be in the second of the final two matches. That came across confusing, I hope you understand!

04-14-05, 01:32 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Commission rules"
Ayak- That is pretty interesting info. Good research. I guess they forgot to include 5-rounders in their revision, being that they are so rare. They do happen; you just don't see 'em all that often. I never thought of M.B. and co. choosing 5 rounders to exploit a loophole...That's what I call ringsmarts. Crafty sons of b*tches...

As far as the cut, I'm pretty sure that anything requiring sutures is a mandatory 45-day layoff. You can't even spar for,like, 30 days (though I know many fighters still do.) We'll have to see the severity of Juan's cut to see what they decide to do.

pdaj 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-14-05, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pdaj Click to send private message to pdaj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Commission rules"
Hmmm ..

I don't know, guys. I think the primary reason for choosing 5 rounds would be the drama! How exciting is it to have two boxers entering the final round (with a draw) knowing whoever takes the 5th round takes the match? It's perfect for television, and it also lessens the chance of two boxers earning a draw.

04-14-05, 03:26 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Commission rules"
But we would only be guessing that the bout is tied going into the final round because we don't know how the judges would have scored the previous rounds.

Also, the point that the boxers have certain times between fights if they are cut/injured is a good point. If they can't fight within 45 days then production is screwed! There were only 14 fights during filming which means that taping wrapped in 42 days if they keep the 3 day between fights throughout the entire show.

AyaK, do you know how long it took to film the show?

04-14-05, 09:12 PM (EST)
19. "40 days"
AyaK, do you know how long it took to film the show?

According to a couple of sources, 40 days. Then the ark landed on Mount Ararat....

http://www.dailybreeze.com/today/articles/1454847.html

Twenty camera crews followed the boxers as they lived and trained together for 40 days at "The Contender" gym in Pasadena.
"Once those 40 days are over, you've either got it or you don't," he said. "You've got to be planning the whole time while being flexible to adapt to what happens."

http://contender.tv.yahoo.com/01/fighters/jesse_qa2.html

If I asked you: Sly, Ray or Tommy? What is your first response? Why?
Jesse: Tommy...lived with him for 40 days...great guy.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/cda/article_print/0,1983,VCS_230_3640012_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

"The Contender" was shot last August and September at an old industrial building in Pasadena that was converted into a training center and loft where the 16 boxers from across the country lived, worked out and fought for 40 days.

Yes, it should have taken 42 days if they fought every fight except the finale (24 days first round, 12 days quarterfinals, 6 days semifinals). I had first thought that the difference was just a rounding error -- but now it seems to be evidence that they didn't fight one fight and added an extra day for the second challenge.

04-14-05, 09:39 PM (EST)
20. "RE: 40 days"
Thanks for the info AyaK!

DTrump 14 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-05, 06:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DTrump Click to send private message to DTrump Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: 40 days"
ok...

Juan quits, check out the yahoo contender week 8 preview trailer

04-15-05, 09:44 PM (EST)
25. "RE: 40 days"
Can you please give me a link to the trailer?

Master B 106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-17-05, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Master%20B Click to send private message to Master%20B Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: 40 days"
>Can you please give me a
>link to the trailer?

http://contender.tv.yahoo.com/01/index.html

kay_tin 161 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-16-05, 02:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kay_tin Click to send private message to kay_tin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Reno local news report"
There was a very brief interview with Joey on our NBC station. He stated that it was his intention from the very beginning to be in the last first round fight so that he could enjoy the whole experience and get to know Sly and Sugar Ray better. Makes you wonder if perhaps he did a little manipulation, ie the leg injury, doesn't it?

They also stated that the fight would be taking earlier in the episode as there won't be a challenge first. I assume this was based on more than speculation.

BTW...there have been ads for Joey running for weeks now, (which was got me interested in checking it out to begin with), but today I saw one for Jesse. His hometown is in the viewing area and it was a tad strange. It featured his boss (an onion farmer?) talking about Jesse and his life in Vegas. Guess he was tired of all the Joey attention. Hey, anyone who flashes his baggy briefs on national tv while acting like a drunken frat boy gets my vote for Reno's favorite! ;)

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •