The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Selling the Clippers."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

kingfish 17275 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-23-14, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"Selling the Clippers."
LAST EDITED ON 05-27-14 AT 02:33 PM (EST)

OK, just suppose that the NBA is successful in banning Sterling and forcing him to sell to someone outside his family. I’m not sure how the NBA could legally justify that caveat, but let’s just say that they could.

And suppose that he loses court battles that he could, if he wished, drag out for years and even present to the Supreme court as a first amendment infringement case, even if the top players do refuse to play for him. I guess they would revert to the inept Clippers of old in that case.

Magic Johnson wants to buy, and Sterling does not like Magic. Even if Johnson manages to form a group of investors that would come up with the billion dollar plus valuation (by some), Sterling might just refuse to sell to a group that includes Johnson. Spite. Enmity. He (Sterling) certainly is wealthy with or without the Clippers as an asset, so he might just dig in his heels if faced with that prospect.

Even if the NBA actions are deemed legal, can they dictate who Sterling would sell the team to? Even given a caveat that he sell outside his family? The NBA can dictate who he cannot sell to, but I would be very surprised if that could force the sale to a NBA selected buyer.

Sticky wickets all around.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Selling the Clippers. kingfish 05-23-14 1
   RE: Selling the Clippers. Colonel Zoiderg 05-28-14 2
       RE: Selling the Clippers. kingfish 05-28-14 3
           Billions cahaya 05-30-14 4
               RE: Billions Estee 05-31-14 5
                   RE: Billions kingfish 06-02-14 6
                       RE: Billions kingfish 06-02-14 7
 Saga over? PepeLePew13 06-04-14 8
 Not so fast. Estee 06-10-14 9
   RE: Not so fast. kingfish 06-10-14 10
       RE: Not so fast. cahaya 06-10-14 11
 Take you down with me. Estee 06-13-14 12
   RE: Take you down with me. kingfish 06-13-14 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

05-23-14, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Selling the Clippers."
So, according to reports today, Sterling is reported to have signed his ownership interests of the Clippers over to his wife.

It sounds like he is going to try to solve his problem without extensive court involvement for the moment. A sigh of relief from the NBA, to be sure. But now they have to decide if they are allow his wife to ostensibly run the team. According to the report I read (CNN) she is just being tasked to do the selling negotiations, but I don’t know why he would give her the team just for her to do that. If the NBA is content to let him do the selling, why involve her?

As a married couple, does he legally retain ownership privileges through California community property rights? Maybe the NBA will make that assertion.

But it would seem (to me) that he is daring the NBA to oust his wife, she without sin, also. I don’t know if that would bolster his legal case or not, but it seems like it might.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Colonel Zoiderg 36 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-28-14, 09:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoiderg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoiderg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Selling the Clippers."
In this case, I'm not sure if discrimination laws apply to the sale of businesses the way they do to selling homes. If they do, Magic could tie it up in court over violation of discrimination laws, even if Sterling's defense is simply "I don't like his face."

The NBA, at this point, has to force the sale of the Clippers because the players will revolt if they don't - and they have shown they are prepared to. Ousting Sterling may be a matter of saving, pr preventing serious harm to, the business, and the NBA would have to be prepared to argue that in court, assuming they can't get a quick decision in their favor.

05-28-14, 10:12 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Selling the Clippers."
LAST EDITED ON 05-28-14 AT 10:24 AM (EST)

Hey Z, good to see you posting again.

I hadn’t thought about discrimination laws in selling, and I don't know exactly what they are in California either. But in any case I think a competent lawyer could sucessfully argue that Sterling has the right to pick and choose who he would sell the Clippers to.

The NBA may have to try and get him to sell the Clippers, but the questions are, does he want to fight the forced sale, and if so, would it be legal for the NBA to force him to sell.

This article indicates that he would fight through the courts:
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/27/donald-sterlings-response-to-nba-charges-vows-fight-shelly-sterling-to-file-separate-response/related/

Don't take for granted that a player's revolt will last any time at all. They are used to their lifestyles, and there will be plenty of players that will return, IMO. I think that’s a pretty transparent bluff.

Then there is the question in my first post, if it turns out that Sterling either voluntarily sells the team or if the league forces him to sell (and are backed up by the courts), can they dictate who he sells to?

Things are changing day to day, and various reports present inside opinions that are radically different from each other, so who knows what's happening. But just because I’m a believer that first amendment protection is so important, and not because I have any sympathy for Sterling, I’d like to see him take the NBA and Silver to the wall with this one.

Another point, less hypothetical than a sale to Magic Johnson: Will the vote by the owners be open or closed? The league needs 23 of 29 owners to vote to terminate Sterling as an owner, and if it's an open vote, there will be added pressure on owners with mixed feeling about this business (I mean, next time they say something amiss in a private conversation, will it too be recorded?) to vote against Sterling.

cahaya 19150 desperate attention whore postings

05-30-14, 10:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Billions"
Ballmer offers to buy for two billion while Sterling sues for one billion.

Damn, that's a lot of money over a silly game that involves a round ball going through a hoop.

Estee 56762 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-14, 07:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Billions"
It's also an overpay on a ridiculous level, given that the last franchise sale in the NBA was for about $550 million. And no matter what Ballmer says, I think it's the starting gun in a race to reach Seattle. Former Microsoft CEO? Let's just say I don't have a great deal of faith in his dedication to the truth and leave it at that.

I've seen a few articles detailing why this isn't as much of a cash reach as it might appear, largely based on the Clippers' pitiful TV rights (due to be renegotiated soon) and the league's upcoming broadcast package. But to me, this looks like genitals on display in the form of checkbooks. He's saying his is bigger.

He could get his money back in time. He can even turn a profit. But some of the things he'd need to do for it as ugly ones... and again, Microsoft.

*shrug*

Well, better him than Trump.

06-02-14, 09:59 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Billions"
As much as I am enraged by the presumption of the NBA that they can take away assets from an owner as a result of a disturbingly bigoted and possibly illegally recorded private phone call, I would not turn down a Billion. Two billion (potentially) actually, since he and his wife were still married.

Even with the capital gains tax, that's a hellofa good deal.

06-02-14, 10:21 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Billions"
LAST EDITED ON 06-05-14 AT 12:23 PM (EST)

BTW, I've been assuming that the recorded conversation was of a cell to cell conversation.

So, how do you do that? My cell phone voice recorder doesn’t work during a phone conversation. I don’t think I can do that on my line either.

What kind of effort and pre-planning was required for Stiviano to record the call?

Or was this just a recorded message Sterling left for her?

PepeLePew13 25272 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-14, 09:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Saga over?"
Donald Sterling has agreed to the sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, and his lawsuit against the NBA will be withdrawn, his lawyers say.

06-10-14, 06:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Not so fast."
Right after Commissioner Silver noted how much Sterling loved to change his mind on sales and sue people, Sterling has -- changed his mind on the sale and is suing the NBA for one billion dollars.

First prediction: if this goes to jury, the defense is going to challenge every possible non-Caucasian off the stand.

06-10-14, 01:07 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Not so fast."
What's he got to lose? Either way he gets a billion dollars, and if he wins he gets the settlement plus his half of the Clippers.

cahaya 19150 desperate attention whore postings

06-10-14, 01:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Not so fast."
While his shrewd lawyers rake in at least hundreds of thousand of dollars, if not a few mill or more, chump change to play the other hoop game.

Tweet! Technical foul!

06-13-14, 07:37 AM (EST)
12. "Take you down with me."
It's a cross between a mass investigation and a reality show: Sterling has reportedly hired four detective firms to dig up every bit of extant (and possibly forged) dirt on all the other team owners, the Commissioner, and David Stern. Apparently he wants to prove the NBA is a hotbed of racism and thus his behavior is normal and accepted. Or for a second option, see the post title. As for the reality show element, he'll retain or fire agencies depending on how much they get.

Well, it will be sort of fun to watch Orlando's @#$%head-in-charge sweat...

06-13-14, 09:52 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Take you down with me."
This is a billionaires club. A club of men and women that don't feel constrained by anybody else’s social constraints. Just their own. Generally, not only without repercussions but usually with dependable sycophantic echoing of their own opinions.

People like Don Sterling who probably and quite honestly (in his mind) never thought of himself as either a misogynist or a bigot. Yet he is demonstrably both.

If he does this investigation, and if the investigators are competent, I believe that they will find that his belief that others are also bigoted to be true. And likely IMO that his attitude is actually prevalent.

I’m sure that MLB has ownership rules that are similar to the NBA, and Marge Schott, one time owner of the Cincinnati Reds Baseball team, after publically making remarks much worse than Sterling’s about a broad range of other ethnicities (she was a self-admitted Jew hater and frequently used the N word when referring to her players, among other things), was only banned for one year from managing her team, and she had to publically come out in support of the policies of Adolph Hitler to earn that penalty. She was likewise penalized twice more for racial comments. She sold controlling interest in the team a few years later but even then retained a minority interest. The pressure to sell came from her co-owners.

Marge Schott was a truly reprehensible person, as was demonstrated repeatedly in private and public conversations.

It is very possible that bigotry prevails among owners of the NBA, MLB, NFL, etc. I don’t think that necessarily helps his case among the public, but it might in a court of law

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •