The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10217 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-01-13, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"
LAST EDITED ON 10-03-13 AT 08:11 AM (EST)

OK, here's how this year's pool will run.

Wild card games aren't included, so the picks don't have to be in until Thursday at noon. Two points for the correct winner in the first round, three for the second round, and five for the World Series. Also one bonus point for the correct number of games, but ONLY if you picked the correct series winner.

In each series, the latter team has home field advantage (first round is 2-2-1; latter rounds are 2-3-2).

SCHEDULE:

Division Series (best of 5):

NL:
Pittsburgh Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Atlanta Braves

AL:
Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays vs. Boston Red Sox
Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland As

Championship Series (Best of 7):

NL:
Pittsburgh-St. Louis winner vs. LA-Atlanta winner

AL:
Tampa Bay-Boston winner vs. Detroit-Oakland winner

World Series (Best of 7):
NL winner vs. AL winner

Tiebreaker: Total runs scored by World Series champion in all three playoff rounds.
(Hint: Last year, San Francisco scored 69: 18 in the NLDS, 35 in the NLCS, and 16 in the World Series.)

Revised to eliminate Cincinnati Reds on 10/1 and Cleveland Indians on 10/2.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool Molaholic 10-01-13 1
   RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool AyaK 10-02-13 2
 RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool adricharlie 10-02-13 3
 RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool AyaK 10-03-13 4
 RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool Estee 10-03-13 5
 RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool Max Headroom 10-03-13 6
 RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool PepeLePew13 10-03-13 7
 RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool Yogi 10-03-13 8
 MLB Postseason Prediction Pool bondt007 10-03-13 9
 Round 1 results AyaK 10-11-13 10
   RE: Round 1 results PepeLePew13 10-12-13 11
   Round 2 results and the winner AyaK 10-21-13 12
       RE: Round 2 results and the winner Molaholic 10-22-13 13
           RE: Round 2 results and the winner AyaK 10-22-13 14
               RE: Round 2 results and the winner PepeLePew13 10-27-13 15
                   RE: Round 2 results and the winner AyaK 10-27-13 16
                       RE: Round 2 results and the winner AyaK 10-27-13 18
                   RE: Round 2 results and the winner HobbsofMI 10-27-13 17
                       RE: Round 2 results and the winner AyaK 10-27-13 19
                           RE: Round 2 results and the winner HobbsofMI 10-28-13 20
                           RE: Round 2 results and the winner PepeLePew13 10-28-13 21
                               RE: Round 2 results and the winner Molaholic 10-29-13 22
                               RE: Round 2 results and the winner AyaK 10-29-13 23
                                   RE: Round 2 results and the winner Molaholic 10-31-13 24
                   RE: Round 2 results and the winner AyaK 11-01-13 25

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Molaholic 8566 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-13, 01:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"
LAST EDITED ON 10-02-13 AT 09:48 PM (EST)

NL:
Wild card winner (Cincinnati Reds vs. Pittsburgh Pirates) vs. St. Louis Cardinals 3 games
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Atlanta Braves 4 games* Tommy Lasorda forgive me. (*I will be in attendance at this game.)

AL:
Wild card winner (Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays vs. Cleveland Indians) vs. Boston Red Sox 4 games
Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland A's 4 games

NL:
Wild card-St. Louis winner vs. LA-Atlanta winner 6 games

AL:
Wild card-Boston winner vs. Detroit-Oakland winner 7 games

NL winner vs. AL winner 6 games

Tiebreaker: Total runs scored by World Series champion in all three playoff rounds.
(Hint: Last year, San Francisco scored 69: 18 in the NLDS, 35 in the NLCS, and 16 in the World Series.) 71

Mucho lurve to tribe 2012

yes, I'm following my head. While Hope Springs Eternal, my head says that the Dodgers are in some serious doldrums, not the place to be going into the postseason.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

10-02-13, 00:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"
Do you want to pick the number of games for the Pirates-Cardinals and Wild Card-Red Sox series?

adricharlie 1287 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

10-02-13, 06:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail adricharlie Click to send private message to adricharlie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"
This is totally a shot in the dark since baseball in MN this year was not very much fun......so I am totally going with who I want to watch in the World Series.

NL:
Pittsburgh Pirates in 4 games
Atlanta Braves in 5 games

AL:
Boston Red Sox in 3
Detroit Tigers in 4

NL:
Pittsburgh in 5

AL:
Detroit in 6

Pittsburgh

Tiebreaker: 74

Next year my dream will come true and the winner will be

10-03-13, 08:11 AM (EST)
4. "RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"
NL:
Pittsburgh Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals St. Louis in 4
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Atlanta Braves L.A. in 5

AL:
Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays vs. Boston Red Sox Boston in 5
Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland As Detroit in 4

NL:
Pittsburgh-St. Louis winner vs. LA-Atlanta winner L.A. in 7

AL:
Tampa Bay-Boston winner vs. Detroit-Oakland winner Detroit in 7

World Series (Best of 7): NL winner vs. AL winner Detroit in 6

Tiebreaker: Total runs scored by World Series champion in all three playoff rounds. 88

Estee 55580 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-13, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"
Pirates over Cardinals in five.
Dodgers past the Braves in four.

Red Sox clobber the Devil Rays in three.
Tigers whip the As in three.

Pirates squeak by the Dodgers in seven.
Red Sox take out the Tigers in five.

Pirates win the World Series in seven.

Total runs scored for Pirates: 89.

Max Headroom 10047 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-13, 08:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"

NL:
Pittsburgh Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals - 5 games
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Atlanta Braves - 4 games

AL:
Tampa Bay Rays vs. Boston Red Sox - 5 games
Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland As - 4 games

NL:
St. Louis vs. Atlanta - 6 games

AL:
Tampa Bay vs. Detroit - 5 games

Atlanta vs. Detroit - 7 games

Tiebreaker: 75 runs

PepeLePew13 24816 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-13, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"
Whoops, almost forgot about this. Thanks for filling me in on the news that the Rays won last night as I didn't find out until now!

NL:
Cards in 5
Dodgers in 4

AL:
Red Sox in 4
Tigers in 5

NLCS:
Cards over Dodgers in 6

ALCS:
Red Sox over Tigers in 7

World Series:
Red Sox over Cards in 6

Tiebreaker: 79

There. I've just jinxed John Farrell and the Sox.

Yogi 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-03-13, 02:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Yogi Click to send private message to Yogi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"
NL:
Pittsburgh Pirates in 4
Los Angeles Dodgers in 4

AL:
Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays in 4
Detroit Tigers in 4

NL:
Pittsburgh in 6

AL:
Detroit in 6

Pittsburgh in 6

Tiebreaker: 75

bondt007 3386 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-03-13, 03:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "MLB Postseason Prediction Pool"

NL:
Pittsburgh Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals - Pirates in 5
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Atlanta Braves - L.A. in 4
AL:
Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays vs. Boston Red Sox - Boston in 5
Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland As - Detroit in 5

NL:
Pittsburgh-St. Louis winner vs. LA-Atlanta winner - L.A. in 6

AL:
Tampa Bay-Boston winner vs. Detroit-Oakland winner - Detroit in 7

World Series (Best of 7): NL winner vs. AL winner LA in 7

Tiebreaker: Total runs scored by World Series champion in all three playoff rounds. 72

10-11-13, 11:19 AM (EST)
10. "Round 1 results"
Amazingly, we had a perfect round (both winners and number of games) from Pepe. Congratulations!

Standings after round 1:
1. Pepe: 8+4+12. Remaining: St. Louis in 6; Boston in 7; Boston in 6 (WC).
2T. AyaK: 8+0=8. Remaining: L.A. in 7; Detroit in 7; Detroit in 6 (WC).
2T. bondt007: 6+2=8. Remaining: L.A. in 6; Detroit in 7; L.A. in 7 (WC).
4. Estee: 6+0=6. Remaining: Boston in 5 (ALCS).
5T. Max: 4+1=5. Remaining: Detroit in 5 (ALCS).
5T. Yogi: 4+1=5. Remaining: Detroit in 6 (ALCS).
7T. Molaholic: 4+0=4. Remaining: St. Louis in 6; Boston in 7; St. Louis in 6 (WC).
7T. adricharlie: 4+0=4. Remaining: Detroit in 6 (ALCS).

Here's the real amazing part: because Molaholic and Pepe made identical picks in the championship series round, Molaholic cannot catch Pepe even if the Cardinals win the World Series in 6 games. So there are only three left in the battle for the overall title.

10-12-13, 04:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Round 1 results"
LAST EDITED ON 10-12-13 AT 04:25 AM (EST)

Sweet. Never really have come close to such a feat before - more often than not, my picks end up flaming out in a big way!

10-21-13, 03:06 PM (EST)
12. "Round 2 results and the winner"
Congratulations to Pepe for a phenomenal picking season so far -- and for winning this pool. Maybe he'll finally admit that John Farrell is a good manager?

Standings after round 12:
1. Pepe: 8+4+6+1=19. Remaining: Boston in 6 (WC).
(Hard to believe that he missed the number of games in the Tigers-Red Sox series by 1, his only miss so far)
2. Molaholic: 4+0+6+1=11. Remaining: St. Louis in 6 (WC). Maximum score = 17.
3. Estee: 6+0+3+0=9.
4T. AyaK: 8+0+0+0=8.
4T. bondt007: 6+2+0+0=8.
6T. Max: 4+1+0+0=5.
6T. Yogi: 4+1+0+0=5.
8. adricharlie: 4+0+0+0=4.

So, the final outcome is:
WIN: Pepe (to make up for the Blue Jays flam-out?)
PLACE: Molaholic (to make up for the Dodgers flame-out?)
SHOW: Estee (just because)

10-22-13, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
LAST EDITED ON 10-29-13 AT 00:13 AM (EST)

<taps mic> <taps mic> <irritating feedback>

<taps mic>

IRONY -- are you out there?

If I had been blindly loyal (in the Division Series anyway) I could have taken the title.

Oh well.

Thanks for running the game.

ETA: Well, I feel a little better now that the Cards can't win in 6.

2013 National League West Champions

10-22-13, 05:11 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
Well, if we really want to give someone credit for a change in view, look at how Pepe changed in talking about John Farrell in just one year -- from a bum that the Jays were thrilled to get rid of to manager of the (per his picks) World Series champs..

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID82/3339.shtml#5

10-27-13, 09:06 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
LAST EDITED ON 10-27-13 AT 10:04 AM (EST)

Well, as you can see from the post-script of my prediction post, I was actively trying to jinx Benedict Farrell with my pick as I rarely call the winner correctly before the post-season. With last night's performance, it's starting to work (hopefully).

Benedict Farrell is regarded in Toronto the same way that Vince Carter is. Last night's game made me glad that he isn't around any more - Farrell did more to cost the Red Sox last night than the obstruction call (while it was correct, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be the umpire having to make that call in that particular situation). Why was Brandon Workman batting for himself in the 9th inning of a crucial tie game!?!?! Farrell butchered the use of pitchers in both Games 2 and 3, and he paid for it dearly with the mismanagement of the 9th inning - he could have used a double-switch to put Ross in at C as the 2nd batter for next inning and move the pitcher's spot to 7th batter instead of the 2nd. So as it turned out, Workman had to bat for himself and then Farrell ended up taking him out after Molina's single anyway - meanwhile, Ross and Napoli were sitting on the bench, unused, and wouldn't you have preferred Ross making that decision whether to throw to third to catch Craig instead of Salty?

I also thought it was too early to pull Peavy. I know it was a 2-0 game but it was still only the 5th and Peavy wasn't terrible or throwing too many pitches. (In hindsight, if you're going to have a pitcher hit for himself at one time between the 5th and the 9th innings, it would have been better for Peavy, an experienced NL player, bat one more time in the 5th than to have Workman batting in the 9th with two guys still on the bench). Also, Breslow only being used for two batters, having Workman bat for himself only to be pulled after one hit when Uehara probably should have been in there from the start of the inning instead, etc.

Ladies and gentlemen, Benedict Farrell, your manager of the year!

ETA: About that final play of the game... wow. I would have hated to be the umpire on that play, even if it was technically correct. I don't think Middlebrooks had an intent to obstruct, although the timing of raising his legs just as Craig was about to run over was curious. Still, what a sucky way to end a game, and you can bet that Red Sox Nation will be howling about this play for decades to come if the Sox loses the Series. I agree with the sentiment echoed by the commentators that Salty should have eaten the ball and let Uehara work himself out of the inning since it was two outs. Just get the next batter and Craig wouldn't have been a factor.

ETA again: A breakdown of the final play and why it was correct, and a mention of how the rule might need to be reworked to make it more fair to an infielder caught in Middlebrooks' position.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1826398-was-obstruction-the-right-call-to-make-on-wild-last-play-of-game-3?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2&hpt=hp_c2

10-27-13, 04:46 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
I have to admit that I don't think there was anyone in Boston who wasn't stunned by Farrell's decision to let Workman bat for himself -- for the first time in his major-league career -- in the 9th. The move to pinch-hit Ross for Workman and then put Uehara in the 7th spot in place of Saltalamacchia was so obvious that I thought that there might be something wrong with Uehara. But no -- Uehara then came in two batters layer. It made no sense whatsoever. Really, that's about as dumb of a move as you can visualize.

Other than that, I disagree about Farrell's other calls. Craig Breslow had been pitching lights-out for the Sox. He's now fallen apart completely in the Series, but that can't be blamed on the manager. Using him for two batters was more than enough to show that he has lost it on the biggest stage in baseball. And Carp, pinch-hitting for Peavy, drove in the Sox's first run, which was a big deal at the time.

But if Ross had been catching in the 9th inning, the ball doesn't get thrown away into the outfield -- and the Sox may not lose. We picked up Ross as a defensive improvement, but he's also hitting better than Salty right now. Arrgh!

10-27-13, 11:25 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
And, showing an amazing resistance to seeing the obvious, Farrell brought in Breslow in Game 4 in a similar situation. And, for the third straight time, Breslow sucked. Fortunately, because of the Gomes homer, the Sox had some breathing space.

HobbsofMI 15970 desperate attention whore postings

10-27-13, 11:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
Well at least Jim Joyce got the call right this time.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

10-27-13, 11:43 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
Listening to the explanation of this horseshit rule last night, I admit to being amazed by the claim that the base runner chooses his baseline, and so the fact that Craig was three feet from the real baseline and trying to run through the grass didn't matter. If that really is the rule, then MLB must be trying to create as many horseshit rules as the NFL has.

Soylent Green: recycling America, one person at a time.

HobbsofMI 15970 desperate attention whore postings

10-28-13, 09:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
I'm confused. Craig was on the inside of the bag after he slide into it and looking at the video he was only about 1' inside when he tried for home and Middlebrooks's toes were almost touching the line at first then he lifted up his legs. I think it was unintentional but I don't see where Craig was three feet from the real baseline and trying to run through the grass. Unless you are talking the infield grass but even then he was on the dirt the whole time on the way home. It's not like Craig was trying to round the bag...he slide into it and popped up on the inside it which is natural when you slide into a bag unless you hook slide or slide over it.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

10-28-13, 12:27 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
It's the same as when the runner is rounding third base to go home - he's not inside the line and is running a few feet out onto the grass in foul territory while headed toward home plate. You're not going to have runners run to a base, slow down, pivot, then head toward the new base.

It's only when there's a play in progress with the ball in the area is there a strict adherence to the real baseline to avoid having runners run wherever they feel like it to avoid being tagged. In Craig's case, the ball was in left field foul territory and when he popped up after sliding, he went in a straight line toward home plate. That's now his baseline.

Farrell said the rule was correct.

10-29-13, 00:09 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
I was about to post the same explanation about runners outside of the baseline. There is one other rule that sometimes comes up: the batter/runner going from home to first must stay within the 45' running lane (but only if there's a throw being made). If the runner is outside of the lane and interferes with the throw he is declared out. If no throw is being made, he is free to run wherever.

When I coached youth baseball, I taught my fielders (usually only the pitcher or catcher) to intentionally hit a batter/runner if he was outside of the lane (not a hard throw, of course). It worked a couple of times.

A Molaholic Christmas presented by Agman ©MMIX

10-29-13, 04:54 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
LAST EDITED ON 11-01-13 AT 06:08 PM (EST)

>Farrell said the rule was correct.

Actually, I think Farrell said the call (not the rule) was correct -- and I agree that under the rules as currently written, the call was correct (and I didn't dispute that the call correctly applied the current rule in my previous post). My argument is that the rule as currently written is stupid.

A different question, though, is whether this situation occurs enough that you want to change the rule. Right now, the rule is a strict liability rule -- the fielder is guilty of obstruction if the fielder impedes the runner (even if the obstruction is caused by sprawling out trying to catch a wild throw), and the only judgment part of the call is the determination by the umpires as to whether the runner would have successfully advanced without the obstruction. Despite the inherent stupidity of this rule, the situation may not occur frequently enough to add another level of judgment. I just don't have enough knowledge to determine that.

Edited to fix a silly typo.

10-31-13, 00:26 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
I have to agree. There was some talk the owners would "consider revising the obstruction rule" and my first thought was "why?"

Now that the Sox have won, the whole issue may just vanish.

11-01-13, 06:19 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Round 2 results and the winner"
>Benedict Farrell is regarded in Toronto the same way that
>Vince Carter is.

If people in Toronto have such poor judgment, that's probably a big part of why Toronto finished dead last this year, despite all of its off-season moves, and the Red Sox won the World Series.

>Ladies and gentlemen, Benedict Farrell, your manager of the year!

To be honest, the only real contenders are John Farrell, his best friend in baseball Terry Francona and Oakland A's manager Bob Melvin, probably in that order. Oh, and a contender for Worst Front-Office Executive of the Year? That would have to be Alex Anthopoulos, general manager of your Toronto Blue Jays. If you were John Farrell, wouldn't you be thrilled to get away from reporting to Anthopoulos?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •