The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Marvin Miller: 4/14/17 -- 11/27/12"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-27-12, 04:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Marvin Miller: 4/14/17 -- 11/27/12"
Seventy years from now, when the last bitter baby bounced on an angry owner's knee passes on, someone may consider finally letting him into the Hall.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8682184/marvin-miller-mlbpa-first-leader-dies-95

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Miller

And that's every owner in every sport on every continent.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Marvin Miller: 4/14/17 -- 11/2... Round Robin 11-28-12 1
   RE: Marvin Miller: 4/14/17 -- 11/2... Estee 11-28-12 2
 RE: Marvin Miller: 4/14/17 -- 11/2... Molaholic 11-28-12 3
 HOF? AyaK 11-28-12 4
   RE: HOF? Estee 11-28-12 5
       Reserve clause AyaK 11-28-12 6
           RE: Reserve clause Estee 11-28-12 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Round Robin 2243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

11-28-12, 01:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Marvin Miller: 4/14/17 -- 11/27/12"
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-12 AT 01:51 AM (EST)

If I were a Hall voter I'd never give that son of a b!tch one of mine. As the original sports union head, IMO Marvin Miller is the devil, and I hope that's who he shook hands with when he made it to the afterworld.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

11-28-12, 09:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Marvin Miller: 4/14/17 -- 11/27/12"
Under that cosmology, I suppose he might take a moment to meet the original writers of the reserve clause.

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-12, 11:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Marvin Miller: 4/14/17 -- 11/27/12"
Another of the "I thought he died years ago" people.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-12, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "HOF?"
Kenesaw Mountain Landis is in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Landis, who was the most powerful man in baseball for decades, did incalculable damage to the game (and to America) by his enforcement of the race laws and his refusal to overturn the reserve clause in the Federal League lawsuit (back when he was still a federal judge).

I happen to believe that Marvin Miller, who was probably only second to Landis in his influence over the game for a long period, also did incalculable damage to baseball, by turning it from a reasonably-priced national pastime into a super-expensive luxury. But he certainly didn't do more damage than Landis did. So, if Landis is in the HOF, Miller should be as well.

My personal preference would be to keep Miller out of the HOF and kick Landis out too. But the owners will never kick Landis out. Thus, Miller should be in. Simple as that.

11-28-12, 01:52 PM (EST)
5. "RE: HOF?"
Has anyone ever been kicked out of the Hall? Of any Hall? I'm not exactly fond of Landis either, but any enshrinement seems to be permanent.

I would install Marvin Miller (and yes, I know he didn't want to go) over his influence on the game's history. So in that sense, I do have him in that Landis category. I just don't see him as an Ultimate Evil. There could have been other ways to do things. I don't think the owners would have listened to a single one of them. And the reserve clause had to die.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-12, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Reserve clause"
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-12 AT 06:28 PM (EST)

But, see, the reserve clause dated back to 1879 (!!), and it was always clear that it was illegal . . . until Judge Landis refused to rule in the antitrust suit brought by the Federal League against MLB back in 1915. (The NY courts had already refused to uphold it in cases dating back to the 1890s, but the law never mattered much to Judge Landis.) Then the Supreme Court foolishly upheld it in a derivative lawsuit, Federal Baseball Club v. National League (1922), holding that baseball did not constitute interstate commerce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Baseball_Club_v._National_League

This decision should clearly have been obsolete once Wickard v. Filburn was decided (a moronic ruling, beloved by liberals, that held that growing wheat on your own farm for consumption by your own animals somehow constituted interstate commerce), but lower federal courts refused to touch it. Finallt, an arbitrator, Peter Seitz, declined to enforce it -- or baseball's supposed exemption from the antitrust laws because it wasn't interstate commerce.

And somehow we're supposed to credit Marvin Miller for this? Really? If anyone deserves credit, it's Peter Seitz, who found the courage to look at the emperor and tell him he had no clothes.

11-28-12, 07:07 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Reserve clause"
Someone has to keep going before the judge until they find one who's not afraid of emperors.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •