The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Linguistics with the WOAT"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-26-12, 08:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Linguistics with the WOAT"
Roger Federer may be the GOAT, but Carl Crawford is the WOAT -- Worst Of All Time; that is, the worst free-agent signing in baseball history. I don't think there is even a close #2. Theo Epstein looks dumber than a box of rocks for signing him, and Boston fans simply despise him, even more than the Yankees.

But now, thanks to Crawford, I've learned a new (supposed) racial slur, and I wanted to see how many of you knew it.

First, let's look at the stories.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/carl-crawford-heckler-shouted-racial-slur-video-145129376--mlb.html

Crawford, who is black, didn't tell reporters on the record what was said.

Must have been pretty bad, though, because it cost the person who said it his job. So what did he say?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/79032.html

Perrault had been on paid leave since he called Crawford a "Monday" before a July 5 minor league game in Manchester, N.H.

The word can be used as a derogatory term for blacks, and is often associated with Mondays being one of the most-hated days of the week, such as in the common phrase, "I hate Mondays."

Really?

Has anyone here ever heard "Monday" used as a racial slur? I had never heard of this until the Crawford incident.

Does that mean that Bob Geldof was expressing racial sentiment when he wrote the song, "I Don't Like Mondays"? Obviously not. But this whole "racial slur" argument seems incredibly silly. So silly that Carl Crawford is about the only person I'd expect it from, because I always expect the worst from him.

Of course, if one were looking for silly behavior, Massachusetts is always the right place to look.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Linguistics with the WOAT Estee 07-26-12 1
 RE: Linguistics with the WOAT byoffer 07-26-12 2
 RE: Linguistics with the WOAT PepeLePew13 07-27-12 3
   RE: Linguistics with the WOAT AyaK 07-27-12 4
       RE: Linguistics with the WOAT michel 07-27-12 7
       On Slicey's behalf: Estee 07-27-12 9
           RE: On Slicey's behalf: AyaK 07-27-12 11
               RE: On Slicey's behalf: Max Headroom 07-27-12 14
               RE: On Slicey's behalf: Estee 07-28-12 15
                   RE: On Slicey's behalf: PepeLePew13 07-30-12 16
                       RE: On Slicey's behalf: AyaK 07-30-12 17
 Ralph Sampson kingfish 07-27-12 5
   RE: Ralph Sampson cahaya 07-27-12 6
 RE: Linguistics with the WOAT michel 07-27-12 8
   RE: Linguistics with the WOAT AyaK 07-27-12 10
       RE: Linguistics with the WOAT Snidget 07-27-12 12
           RE: Linguistics with the WOAT kingfish 07-27-12 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

07-26-12, 08:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Linguistics with the WOAT"
You Wednesdays always take these things too lightly.

This was a new one to me. I don't qualify to be addressed that way -- I get my very own fun terms! -- and when it comes to self-referencing, my locals go for endless uses of Ye Old N with a heaping helping of MF's thrown in. So after getting a busy signal from my expert, I checked the Urban Dictionary -- and guess what?

Obviously non-PG13 ahead.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?page=3&term=monday

It's there and has been since 2007. One of the entries even claims it originated in Boston. Such silly behavior! And look where we found it.

But don't worry. I'm sure those stupid Thursdays will try to fix things by getting the calendar changed.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

07-26-12, 11:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Linguistics with the WOAT"
LAST EDITED ON 07-26-12 AT 11:28 PM (EST)

Wow. That is a new one on me, and to be honest hard to believe.

So how racist was the stock market in 1987?

or history??

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

07-27-12, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Linguistics with the WOAT"
I've heard of "Monday" being used in that context - we had a class discussion one time about what terms people may not realize that could be used as a slur.

I read in another article that "witnesses heard the officer" say the slur along with Crawford so clearly he wasn't the only one who heard it. I agree, that's a questionable reason on its own to dismiss the officer but when that is combined with the "I didn't know they served Guinness in Africa" remark, there appears to be a pattern of racist commentary from this officer.

But, hey, while Crawford has indeed been horrible on his new contract, I'll still put up Vernon Wells' contract up against Crawford's as a shining example of a putrid contract! At least Crawford has time to make up for his performance while Wells is a lost cause by now. Wells put up a -0.8 WAR last year compared to Crawford's 0.0

07-27-12, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Linguistics with the WOAT"
As I remember it. Wells wasn't a free agent signing. Wells was extended for seven years after the 2006 season, when he still had two years to go on his prior contract -- meaning that the extension was five years, and he's certainly been dismal during the first three years of that period.

He and Crawford may have a fierce battle for worst contract signing ever, but Crawford stands unchallenged as worst free-agent signing ever.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

07-27-12, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Linguistics with the WOAT"
LAST EDITED ON 07-27-12 AT 05:55 PM (EST)

Since WOAT isn't restricted to baseball, I have two words for ya: Scott Gomez.

I just traded Crawford for Starling Marte in fantasy baseball and I bet the Sox would make that trade if they could!

07-27-12, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "On Slicey's behalf:"
Mo @#$%ing Vaughn.

I want to legally make that his actual name.

On any list of Top Ten Worst Signings, how many slots do the Mets get? Seven?

07-27-12, 06:38 PM (EST)
11. "RE: On Slicey's behalf:"
Mo was pretty bad, but wasn't it only a three-year deal? He never played in the third year and only played about a month of the second year --- which means he'll still probably have played more games with the Mets than Crawford will play with the Red Sox in the first three years of his SEVEN-year deal.

The story, not being widely reported, is that Crawford, who just starting playing for the first time this year last week, will have Tommy John surgery after the season and miss all of 2013.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

07-27-12, 10:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: On Slicey's behalf:"
I saw where Bobby Valentine has been taking Crawford out of close games in the late innings in an effort to keep him from making a throw to the plate which blows his elbow out.

07-28-12, 02:09 PM (EST)
15. "RE: On Slicey's behalf:"
LAST EDITED ON 07-30-12 AT 05:35 PM (EST)

I have to correct myself here: I checked to get details on the deal and had my memory refreshed. @#$%Vaughn was a horrible trade: Kevin Appier to the Angels and Mo'und Of Cash back. But he did have three years left on his last contract (six years, $80m) when he arrived. And to answer your question -- 166 games with the Mets. Crawford currently has 140 games over two years with the Sox, but that's 130 in his first year and but ten in 2012.

So I have to go further back and get within scent distance of the compost heap that was Bobby Bonilla. Wait -- that's a bad comparison: at least you can hope to eventually get something productive out of a compost heap. Toxic waste dump it is.

I'm Fair Using this from an article on BleacherReport:

"As if his first experience in Queens wasn't bad enough, the Mets traded for him in November of 1998 to use him as a home run threat and in a platoon scenario off the bench.

That season he clashed with manager Bobby Valentine about playing time. He became so disgruntled and such a distraction, that he often left the dugout to play cards.

One such case where he was caught in this act during a game occurred during Game 7 of the NLCS that year. He and fellow disgruntled teammate Rickey Henderson left a game of that magnitude to play cards since they were not going to be in the game.

The organization finally realized what they had in him when they released him three days into the new millennium.

In 1999, they paid him $5.9 million, but to release him of his remaining contract, the Mets got a little creative. Rather than pay him another $5.9 million for the 2000 season, they agreed to defer the salary and add 8% interest every year until it's paid off.

That will be the year 2035 and they will be paying him roughly $1.2 million every year until then or nearly $29.8 million on what was originally a $5.9 million contract."

It's hard to add insult to that injury, but having twenty-three more years of looking at the team's salary chart only to find 'And Bobby Bonilla' at the end will do it.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

07-30-12, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: On Slicey's behalf:"
*scratches head*

Not sure I see the benefit of deferring his salary for an eternity at 8% interest. The quick-pull band-aid method sounds far better than the pull-one-hair-out-per-minute-for-35-years method. If it's a luxury tax thing of some sort, take the hit for one year and be done with BoBo.

And I'm seeing a pattern there with Bobby Valentine...

07-30-12, 10:49 PM (EST)
17. "RE: On Slicey's behalf:"
The one thing I have to concede, though, is that Bobby Bo has a better claim to be the WOAT than Crawford does -- at least so far.

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

07-27-12, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Ralph Sampson"
LAST EDITED ON 07-27-12 AT 10:27 PM (EST)

Sorry. Getting off topic in Off Topics. But then again, I am a darn Friday.

Actually Ralph wasn't that bad, and he did help the Rockets for a couple (three?) years. He just wasn't as good as he should have been.

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

07-27-12, 04:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Ralph Sampson"
Watch it dude. Friday is Juma'at and if you even think of claiming Friday for yourself, you can bet there's a fatwa coming your way.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

07-27-12, 05:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Linguistics with the WOAT"
Thank you. I thought I was out of touch, having never heard that Monday was a racial slur. I couldn't understand the firing but, if locally, it's often used then he deserved to be fired.

07-27-12, 06:25 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Linguistics with the WOAT"
I've never heard it, and I live and work in Boston Metro, but maybe I'm just out of touch.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

07-27-12, 09:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Linguistics with the WOAT"
I'd never heard that either, and foonermints says I'm hip, so I dunno how common it is.

*checks urban dictionary*

It is listed there several times, oldest entry dates to 2007, so may be a fairly recent thing?

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

07-27-12, 10:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Linguistics with the WOAT"
It's not a Southern term. That I know of.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •