The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 25010 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-07-09, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Is Federer now the GOAT?"
This morning, Roger Federer won the French Open for the first time, beating Robin Soderling in straight sets a few moments ago.

The one major missing piece from his resume - the French Open - is finally complete. Sure, it would have been even better if he was able to do it against Rafael Nadal, but that's not on Federer as he handled all of the challengers to win the title.

So is it now safe to call Federer the Greatest of All Time?

Consider this... Federer just tied Sampras for the most Grand Slam titles at 14, and he's still only 27. He's been in an incredible 20 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals (Ivan Lendl has the second-longest streak with a mere 9 consecutive semis). Federer is just the sixth to win a career Grand Slam -- Sampras, Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Ashe and yes, Nadal all haven't accomplished this.

The only one who might be in the same discussion by now as to the GOAT is Rod Laver.

Congrats to Roger Federer on nabbing that elusive French Open title.

Stinky Musings <--- blog's been updated!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? vince3 06-07-09 1
   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? PepeLePew13 06-07-09 2
       RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? vince3 06-07-09 4
   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? byoffer 06-08-09 10
 RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? ohmyheck 06-07-09 3
   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? Starshine 06-08-09 5
       RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? PepeLePew13 06-08-09 7
           RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? Starshine 06-08-09 8
               RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? ohmyheck 06-08-09 9
 RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? Max Headroom 06-08-09 6
 RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? byoffer 06-08-09 11
   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? bullzeye 06-08-09 12
 Add a 6th Wimbledon title... PepeLePew13 07-05-09 13
   RE: Add a 6th Wimbledon title... Starshine 07-05-09 14
   RE: Add a 6th Wimbledon title... bullzeye 07-05-09 15
   RE: Add a 6th Wimbledon title... byoffer 07-05-09 16
   RE: Add a 6th Wimbledon title... byoffer 07-05-09 17
 RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? AyaK 07-06-09 18
   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? PepeLePew13 07-06-09 19
       RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? byoffer 07-06-09 20
           ***Cough*Cough*** Starshine 07-06-09 21
               RE: ***Cough*Cough*** PepeLePew13 07-06-09 22
                   RE: ***Cough*Cough*** trigirl 07-07-09 23
                       RE: ***Cough*Cough*** AyaK 07-07-09 24
                           RE: ***Cough*Cough*** trigirl 07-08-09 33
               RE: ***Cough*Cough*** byoffer 07-07-09 25
       RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? AyaK 07-07-09 26
           RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? PepeLePew13 07-07-09 27
               RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? byoffer 07-07-09 28
                   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? AyaK 07-08-09 29
                       RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? byoffer 07-08-09 30
                           RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? kingfish 07-08-09 31
                               RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? byoffer 07-08-09 32
                                   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? kingfish 07-08-09 34
                           RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? AyaK 07-08-09 35
 RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? PepeLePew13 07-10-09 36
   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? byoffer 07-10-09 37
   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? kingfish 07-10-09 38
 RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? byoffer 07-19-09 39
   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? PepeLePew13 07-19-09 40
       RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? AyaK 07-20-09 41
       RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? byoffer 07-20-09 42
           RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? Max Headroom 07-20-09 43
   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? kingfish 07-20-09 44
       RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? AyaK 07-20-09 45
           RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? Starshine 07-20-09 47
               Disagree AyaK 07-20-09 48
       RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? PepeLePew13 07-20-09 46
           RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? kingfish 07-21-09 49
               RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? byoffer 07-21-09 50
                   RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? PepeLePew13 07-21-09 51
                       RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? kingfish 08-10-09 52
                           RE: Is Federer now the GOAT? PepeLePew13 08-10-09 53
 How the frick do you even make a sh... Snidget 09-13-09 54
   RE: How the frick do you even make ... byoffer 09-13-09 55
       RE: How the frick do you even make ... kingfish 09-14-09 56
           RE: How the frick do you even make ... Starshine 09-15-09 61
 Dewey wins!!! PepeLePew13 09-14-09 57
   RE: Dewey wins!!! byoffer 09-14-09 58
       RE: Dewey wins!!! kingfish 09-15-09 59
           RE: Dewey wins!!! emydi 09-15-09 60
               RE: Dewey wins!!! kingfish 09-15-09 62
               RE: Dewey wins!!! trigirl 09-15-09 63
 Aussie Open PepeLePew13 01-31-10 64
   RE: Aussie Open byoffer 01-31-10 65
 7th Wimbledon... PepeLePew13 07-08-12 66
   RE: 7th Wimbledon... michel 07-09-12 67
   RE: 7th Wimbledon... Starshine 07-09-12 68
       RE: 7th Wimbledon... PepeLePew13 07-09-12 69
           RE: 7th Wimbledon... Starshine 07-09-12 70
       RE: 7th Wimbledon... byoffer 07-09-12 71
           RE: 7th Wimbledon... Starshine 07-09-12 73
               RE: 7th Wimbledon... byoffer 07-09-12 74
                   RE: 7th Wimbledon... Starshine 07-10-12 75
                       RE: 7th Wimbledon... byoffer 07-10-12 76
                           RE: 7th Wimbledon... AyaK 07-18-12 78
       RE: 7th Wimbledon... michel 07-09-12 72
           RE: 7th Wimbledon... kingfish 07-18-12 77
           RE: 7th Wimbledon... starshine 02-04-14 81
 New way of ranking? PepeLePew13 01-24-14 79
   RE: New way of ranking? kidflash212 02-04-14 80

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-09, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Currently? Yes.

Eventually? Dunno. Nadal is probably the biggest challenger to the throne, especially every year in Paris......

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

06-07-09, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
No question Nadal is great and he might even be the best player in the world right now. But the GOAT title is based on career accomplishment, and Nadal still has a long way to go before he can match Federer's accomplishments.

Federer beat Nadal in the last clay court tournament before the French Open this year, and of course, Nadal got bumped in the fourth round of 'his' tournament. The longest semis streak he's had is five, while Federer's been in 20 consecutive semis.

Another reason why I don't think Nadal will challenge for the GOAT title is his playing style - it's brutal on the body, and he will wear down before long. Perhaps he's already breaking down as he complained loudly earlier about the toll of the ATP schedule (why him, when few others have complained about it?) and now he's been beaten in two consecutive clay tournaments when he was once invincible on it, having won 81 matches in a row from '05 to '07. Meanwhile, Federer still looks as good as ever, having won two of the last three GS tournaments sandwiched around a Nadal Aussie Open title, and he's been in 15 of the last 16 GS finals (!) with the only time missing out was when he went out in the semis at the '08 Aussie Open while battling mononucleosis.

I don't think there's any question that Nadal is already the GOAT on clay, but it's the other surfaces that is in question.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-09, 11:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
If Nadal reinvents himself like Agassi did for a while, though...... who knows? We won't know for sure until later on.....

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

06-08-09, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
There are not many greater fans of Nadal than my tennis-playing, Spanish father. He is also a retired doctor, and given what he has heard about Nadal's current injury (knee ligaments), he thinks Nadal is done as a top-tier player. Certainly they do some wonderful things with arthroscopic surgery and rehab, but as is noted above Nadal's overly physical style of play is (sadly) not condusive to a long career. I hope that he is able to use his physicality to overcome this injury and return to the top. Watching him and Federer in grand slam finals (like Wimbledon 2008) is the best of times for tennis.

ohmyheck 1919 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

06-07-09, 10:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ohmyheck Click to send private message to ohmyheck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
I don't think Laver is in the conversation because Laver only won slams on two surfaces. He never won one on Hard courts.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

06-08-09, 05:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-08-09 AT 05:53 AM (EST)

Not in the conversation because he only played on the courts that were available whilst he was playing? Would Federer beat 1978 Bjorg if they were both using wooden racquets?

To quote Wikipedia about Rod Laver:

He was the World No. 1 player for seven consecutive years, from 1964 to 1970. He is the only tennis player to have twice won all four Grand Slam singles titles in the same year — first as an amateur in 1962 and second as a professional in 1969. He is the only male player during the open era to have won a calendar year Grand Slam.

And don't forget he wasn't competing in the Grand Slam events between 1963 and 1967 - Although he did win quite a few of the professional tournaments that he entered.

06-08-09, 10:18 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Who knows how Federer would have done against Borg?

The difference between Federer and many of today's players is that he doesn't depend on brute strength or force (even if he *is* capable), but rather on guile and a great game plan to win. Going up against Borg on the grass at Wimbledon would be quite a match for the ages, and I'm not even going to try and predict who would win. Wooden racquet or metal racquet, don't think it'd make much of a difference.

06-08-09, 11:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
I think you are right Pepe, it would be a great match, I should probably have said "if they were playing with the same racquets"

I still think Laver has the edge as the GOAT, however as Federer has not retired yet I I think he may well take the title, however he needs a couple more good years

J Slice what a cool lady

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

ohmyheck 1919 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

06-08-09, 12:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ohmyheck Click to send private message to ohmyheck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
I don't know. It's kind of impossible to compare eras. Who knows who would win in a tournament of Borg, Laver, Federer, and Sampras at their peaks.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

06-08-09, 08:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Dang, I saw that headline about the GOAT and thought I'd put on my Steve Bartman hat and earphones and stop by for some fun Cub-bashing. Oh well. *sigh*

Capn2patch 2009

06-08-09, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
A sports writer in the Toronto Star today was conceding Federer as the GOAT for tennis. Instead he started to compare Federer with his buddy Tiger Woods for the greatest athlete. In this comparison he gave the edge to Federer since Tiger hasn't got the record majors for golf (yet?). As if trying to compare players in a single sport over history (Federer vs Laver) isn't subjective enough, comparing across sports is entering the realm of fiction. What's next, comparing Federer against Secretariat or the Montreal Canadiens of the 1950s?

bullzeye 5002 desperate attention whore postings

06-08-09, 08:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
What's next, comparing Federer against Secretariat or the Montreal Canadiens of the 1950s?

Or for that matter...the Leafs of the.....nevermind.

Made by Maroonclown; resurrected by Agdude.

07-05-09, 02:00 PM (EST)
13. "Add a 6th Wimbledon title..."
... to Federer's resume after another fantastic final, the longest Wimbledon final set ever at 30 games (16-14 in the fifth set).

Federer beats Roddick 5-7, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (5), 3-6, 16-14

07-05-09, 02:47 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Add a 6th Wimbledon title..."
It was a rather good match wasn't it!

Hope Andy Roddick uses this as a big boost, he hasn't been that great lately, however he played sensationally today

Arrrr Cap'n!

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

bullzeye 5002 desperate attention whore postings

07-05-09, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Add a 6th Wimbledon title..."
What an amazing match! Truly one where I didn't want to see someone lost - they bosth deserved the win out there today.

Congrats Roger.

We Cantadians have a special friend in Agdude.

07-05-09, 11:07 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Add a 6th Wimbledon title..."
77 games? Wow. Federer is amazing, and a well-deserving victor. But I do feel badly for Andy. I hope he does go on to win another major one day. (but will he have to wait for Federer to retire first?)

07-05-09, 11:11 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Add a 6th Wimbledon title..."
How about this one - today marks the 6th time Federer has won a major and Tiger has won a golf tournament on the same day.

I guess that is a couple of GOATs.

AyaK 10303 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-09, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
I'm a Laver supporter, as I posted previously -- his two Grand Slams and 9-of-10 majors streaks were incredible, and he didn't get to play in the majors during most of his peak due to the amateur-only rules, which he was largely responsible for breaking down.

But no one will ever know. Pancho Gonzalez was the best player in the world as a professional in the 1950s, and he beat Ken Rosewall in a famous head-to-head series then. Who knows what records he might have set? Instead, all he won were the 1948 and 1949 U.S. Opens. Lew Hoad won five Grand Slam titles before turning pro in the '50s. Again, who knows?

If Federer can win some version of the Grand Slam (even if just the "Tiger Slam" version by holding all four titles at the same time, although not in the same year like Laver), I'll give him the edge as the best player in the Open era. Best player ever? We'll have to leave that for some day when we have nothing to do but speculate.

07-06-09, 04:44 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Yeah... it's hard for me to speculate on Laver (or guys like Rosewall, Gonzalez, etc.) because I never saw him play and have nothing to base the comparison to.

What was the level of competition like back then compared to today's athletes or particularly the 'golden' age with Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Vilas, Nastase, Gerulaitis and Lendl (among others) duking it out for Grand Slams?

We'll never know, as you said.

07-06-09, 04:56 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
And is the competition today weaker than during the golden era, or is Federer just so much better that the current competition seems inferior to the "golden" era. Maybe if Federer wasn't so good, Roddick, Safin, Hewitt, and Djokovik would each have a couple of Slams, and this would seem like golden era.

One of the problems (!) with Federer is that he seems to win so regularly and seemingly easily (the last couple of Wimbledon finals withstanding) that we equate that to the competition being not as good as in the hey day.

Personally I think Federer's greatness just makes the rest of the field look bad. I think Roddick and Djokovik would have competed well with those of the "golden" era.

Sadly Nadal isn't part of this discussion because of injury. Hopefully he will return to form and the "Connors/McEnroe"-type duel between him and Federer can continue.

07-06-09, 05:04 PM (EST)
21. "***Cough*Cough***"
Aren't we forgetting the number 3 in the world?

A British male tennis player!

07-06-09, 06:12 PM (EST)
22. "RE: ***Cough*Cough***"
Phfft. He's got to win *something* in order to be included in the discussion.

trigirl 2851 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

07-07-09, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: ***Cough*Cough***"
Oh he's gonna Pepe...don't your worry.

07-07-09, 03:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: ***Cough*Cough***"
Umm ... even Roddick has won a major. Murray?

07-08-09, 11:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: ***Cough*Cough***"
Marriage is definitely agreeing with Roddick, but he is still a WHINER!

07-07-09, 03:25 PM (EST)
25. "RE: ***Cough*Cough***"
Murray is only 23. Sure, several of the others in this discussion had won a major by that age, but I still think Murray's time will come. But not yet.

07-07-09, 04:33 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
LAST EDITED ON 07-08-09 AT 00:51 AM (EST)

The big argument here is the number of tournaments that the competitors won. Part of the reason I insist Jack Nicklaus was better than Tiger Woods is that Jack finished second to a number of people who won lots of majors. Among Jack's losses in majors were second places behind Arnold Palmer (1960 US Open, 1964 Masters), Gary Player (1968 British Open), Lee Trevino (1968 & 1971 U.S. Open, 1972 British Open (when Nicklaus had won the first two legs of the Grand Slam), 1974 PGA), Tom Watson (1977 Masters, 1977 British Open, 1982 U.S. Open) and Seve Ballesteros (1979 British Open).

How many majors did these guys win? Palmer: 7. Player: 9. Trevino: 6. Watson: 8. Ballesteros: 5.

How many have Tiger's competitors won? None of them have won more than 3 (Mickelson, Els, Singh, Harrington and Payne Stewart). Heck, even Raymond Floyd won more than any of them (4).

It might be because Tiger is so brilliant, that he's better than Nicklaus and always chases his competitors down. Or it might be that they just aren't as talented as Jack's competitors were. After all, in Jack's day, the winner got 20% of the purse, and purses weren't very big. You needed to win. Now? Winning? Maybe it's nice, but not worth blowing your chance at finishing third. Call it Tom Kite syndrome (Kite, BTW, only won one major, but finished second to Nicklaus twice).

What makes it tough in tennis was the pro-am split until 1968. I mean, Roy Emerson was the record holder for Grand Slam titles (12) until Sampras passed him, and no one outside of Australia would contend that Emerson was ever a first-tier player. Notice how many titles he won after 1967 (0), although he was the same age as Laver (31) when the Open Era started in 1968.

Edited to fix two typos.

07-07-09, 05:25 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Yeah, understood and these are good points you've made.

I think the argument could be made is that the level of competition is deeper from 6 to 125 today in Tiger's time while 2-5 might not be as good as in Jack's time. If that's the case, then you could theoretically argue that Tiger is better than Jack. Or perhaps Jack finished second more often because he doesn't have the same ability to seize the final round that Tiger does?

For what little it's worth, Tiger and Jack are currently tied with 8 seasons leading the money list -- although these days, a fifth place finish in the Masters gets you the same amount of money that Jack would typically win in an entire season.

Could the argument be made for today's tennis? 1-8 in 1980 is quite likely better than today's 1-8, but which 9-100 is better? I think today's 9-100 is better, but is it enough to overcome the deficit between then's 1-8 and today's 1-8?

07-07-09, 11:06 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
I think your analysis is right, Pepe, about top tier vs top 100. I also think that AyaK's comment about payout changes make it so that the competitors don't just go for the win, but to stay close for a big payout.

Tennis and golf are different in that tennis has seedings, and I think that makes it harder for lower ranked players to climb the ladder than in golf, where a lower seed player has an even shot to compete against Tiger every time.

07-08-09, 01:23 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
I'm not sure I agree. In both match-play golf and tennis, a top seed can be done in when an inferior player has a great day. In the 11 years of the WGC World Match Play championship, Tiger has won it three times, finished second once, and been beaten before the final four seven times.

07-08-09, 08:46 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Sure, an underdog can have a great day and bump a favourite. But I believe the purpose of the seeded events is to protect the higher seeds from meeting too early, and by giving them easier competition in the earlier rounds that should help them to go further in the tournament.

Maybe this is more true in tennis than golf due to the physical nature of the sport. Very often when an underdog beats a favourite in a tennis match, that player is spent and subsequently loses the next match.

Your stats on the WGC World Match Play golf supports Pepe's claim that the modern fields in golf tournaments are deep. Did they play match play back in Nicklaus' day? If so, I suspect he went far most of the time.

kingfish 16745 desperate attention whore postings

07-08-09, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
LAST EDITED ON 07-08-09 AT 09:58 AM (EST)

These comparisons are interesting.

Adding (or detracting, depending on POV), is the difference in equipment, in both golf and tennis. And if one is comparing golfing greats, one could also include the brilliant Byron Nelson if one could somehow handicap him for the brevity of his career.

In tennis, the improved equipment changes the style of play, so while one might say that Laver is the better suited for a scrambling defensive game with a wooden racket and slower balls, Federer (or Nadal, or probably even most of the top 100, IMO) are better suited for the power sport tennis has become with the modern rackets and balls. And the conditioning and physiques.

So speculation as to who is superior really comes down to which style is superior. Then decide who plays that style best. It's no contest (I think) that Laver was the best at the old, defensive style, but head to head with a modern power player, it's hard to see him prevailing. On the other hand, it's not hard to see him prevailing if Federer (for instance) was made to play with a wooden racket.

If Laver had had the benefit of the rocket rackets of today, and maybe he would have benefited from a two handed backhand, it probably would improve his game. Still, his game was based on scrambling (if I recall correctly), and today's game is such a power game, the comparison really comes down to styles of play, is the Power game superior to the defensive game? I personally would bet on the power player simply (if for no other reason) from all the extra points a power guy would get from his service game.

So when it all shakes out, the only reasonable basis for comparing great players from the past to those of the present is probably wins, major wins. And maybe slams. And maybe some other stats, like maybe winning margin average, winning percentages, longevity of career, etc. And by the end of his career that will surely favor Federer (and Woods for that matter).

On a side note, I was not prepared for Federer to dominate the service game against Roddick. And I would have never in my wildest dreams have imagined that Roddick could hang with Federer if he didn't have his serve advantage. I think Federer demonstrated all time greatness with his performance in the final match at Wimbledon, and I think Roddick gained a lot in most people’s estimation. I also think that a healthy Nadal after a long playing career is the only player that can be considered as real competition for Federer in the all time great category.

07-08-09, 11:01 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
You are certainly correct that directly comparing athletes from generation to generation is impossible because of the change in equipment, style of play, etc. Really all we can do is compare the competitiveness of the players. And all of those discussed above were at the top in competitiveness.

Federer/Roddick serving
I was surprised by Federer's domination in the ace category as well. But sometimes statistics can deceive.

I thought Roddick had a lot of service winners, particularly late in the match, that were not aces. He was serving into Federer's body and causing Roger all sorts of trouble. Roger would touch the ball though, so no ace.

From Roger's perspective, the high number of aces could be just Roddick deciding what to go for. How many of Roger's aces came when he was already up 30 or 40 love, and Andy just decided not to lunge for Roger's well-placed serves just to deny an ace?

Sadly we may never get to discuss Nadal in the all-time category because of injury.

07-08-09, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
You're right. Those body serves that Federer managed to get a mis-hit on were as good as aces, just not counted as such. And Federer was going for corner and down the line aces.

They were an effective tactic for Roddick, though, Federer had his hands full with some of them.

At 130+ mph, even without spin, I just don't see how anyone can get a racket on those serves.

07-08-09, 11:59 AM (EST)
35. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
>Your stats on the WGC World Match Play golf supports Pepe's
>claim that the modern fields in golf tournaments are deep.
> Did they play match play back in Nicklaus' day?
> If so, I suspect he went far most of the time.

The PGA Tournament was match-play until 1958, when it switched to stroke play under pressure from the networks, which didn't want a no-name final. After Sam Snead's 3rd PGA win in 1951, the following were the winners before it switched: Jim Turnesa, Walter Burkemo, Chick Harbert, Doug Ford, Jack Burke, Jr., Lionel Hebert. Of those six, Burke and Ford won exactly one other major; the others never won another one.

07-10-09, 01:11 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
With all the discussion of comparing Federer to Laver and Tiger to Nicklaus, this article comes at a perfect time.

The impossible debate - Who is more dominant, Tiger or Federer?

07-10-09, 01:58 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Great article. Thanks

07-10-09, 02:16 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Very well written and (IMO) well reasoned.

Nice phraseology too.

"Tiger Woods shot one-under on the final six holes -- he birdied 16 -- and won. It was the performance of a professional assassin. And everyone in the place -- everyone -- knew that he would do it."

Kind of Estee-esque.

Now, let’s throw Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan into the discussion. No, let’s not.

07-19-09, 09:52 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Anyone feel that Woods not making the cut at the British Open tarnishes his record? Compare to Federer who has made so many major semifinals in a row.

just wondering.

07-19-09, 10:01 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
IMHO, not at all. A golf tournament is a very different setup from a tennis event - tennis has the 1-on-1 matchups where you could get lucky in not having to go up against a certain player if he gets knocked out early (i.e. Nadal leaving early, opening the door for Federer to win the French). By contrast, Tiger has to go out and play against himself to get the best score possible, then compare it to everyone else and beat enough of them to make the cut.

Tiger competed with 155 others while Federer only needed to face 7 opponents on a head-to-head level to win Wimbledon.

07-20-09, 00:41 AM (EST)
41. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
I agree.

07-20-09, 09:14 AM (EST)
42. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Tiger competed with 155 others while Federer only needed to face 7 opponents on a head-to-head level to win Wimbledon.

While I agree with this, I will counter that Tiger didn't need the best possible score through two rounds to beat all 155 others, Rather, he only needed enough to be as good as the top 70 (and ties) to make the cut. In each of Federer's 7 head-to-head matches in each major he has to beat 100% of the opposition to make the semi-final. His record of 21 straight major tournament semi-finals means 147 straight pre-semi matches in majors that he has won.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

07-20-09, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Everyone has an occasional bad day, even Tiger. If one looked only at 1976 stats, they'd claim that Mark "The Bird" Fidrych was better than Tom Seaver, but no one could argue that Fidrych was a better player than Seaver over the course of their full careers. Tiger's missed cut at the British Open is a statistical hiccup, the equivalent of a baseball player's off-year during an otherwise great career.

I think it's nearly impossible to compare two greats from different sports while both are still in mid-career.

Capn2patch 2009

07-20-09, 11:31 AM (EST)
44. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
I think it does. Somewhat.

I think both Woods and Federer are so phenomenal that they both rate a place on the cloud of Sports Gods, but all failures in the records of each have to be taken into account when comparing the two.

I have to admit that if the failure at the British Open does diminish Woods record, it will fade into inconsequentiality (my word, and I'm sticking with it) if Woods comes back into his old form. Chalk it up to the injury and forget about it.

He did miss the cut though. He didn't just not win, he didn't just not finish in the top five/ten or on the leaderboard, he missed the cut.

If Federer is able to close out his career without ever losing in the first/second/third rounds of a major, or sustain an an injury that caused a break in his Major tournament record, that would put him one up in that category and enhance his comparison as the GOAT, at least between the two.

I agree though that the difference between maintaining a Major Tournament streak in Golf is tougher than in Tennis. But both are very tough to do as evinced by the history of each sport.

07-20-09, 03:26 PM (EST)
45. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Here's why I disagree.

In tennis, you have to play head-to-head, and how I play can mess up how you play. That's why the top people win tennis tournaments amost every time.

Let's focus on the 1990s, in both tennis and golf. I used this perios because this is after the top men returned to Australia (around 1988).

Here's the list of people who won one major tennis tournament and never won another:

Andres Gomez (French, 1990)
Michael Stich (Wimbledon, 1991)
Thomas Muster (French, 1995)
Richard Kracijek (Wimbledon, 1996)
Petr Korda (Australian, 1998)
Carlos Moya (French, 1998)

Here's how many that others won during that decade:
Ivan Lendl (1, his last of 8)
Gustavo Kuerten (1, his first of 3)
Boris Becker (2, his last of 6)
Sergi Bruguera (2)
Yevgeny Kafelnikov (2)
Patrick Rafter (2)
Stefan Edberg (3, his last of 6)
Jim Courier (4)
Andre Agassi (5, his first of 8)
Pete Sampras (12, his first of 14)

In other words, only 6 people won exactly one major, out of 40 possibilities. Ten people won multiples, although they stretched out of the decade on both ends.

Now let's look at the golf Grand Slam during the same decade.

Here's the list of people who won one major golf tournament and never won another:

Wayne Grady (PGA, 1990)
Ian Woosnam (Masters, 1991)
Ian Baker-Finch (Open, 1991)
Fred Couples (Masters, 1992)
Tom Kite (U.S. Open, 1992)
Paul Azinger (PGA, 1993)
Corey Pavin (U.S. Open, 1995)
Steve Elkington (PGA, 1995)
Steve Jones (U.S. Open, 1996)
Tom Lehman (Open, 1996)
Mark Brooks (PGA, 1996)
Justin Leonard (Open, 1997)
Davis Love III (PGA, 1997)
Paul Lawrie (Open, 1999)

Here's how many that others won during that decade:
Bernhard Langer (1, his last of 2)
Ben Crenshaw (1, his last of 2)
Greg Norman (1, his last of 2)
Hale Irwin (1, his last of 3)
Vijay Singh (1, his first of 3)
Payne Stewart (2, his last of 3)
John Daly (2)
José María Olazábal (2)
Lee Janzen (2)
Mark O'Meara (2)
Ernie Els (2, his first of 3)
Tiger Woods (2, his first of 14)
Nick Price (3)
Nick Faldo (4, his last of 6)

14 people won one and only one tournament, and another 14 won multiples, although again, they stretched out on both sides.

So why so many more golfers winning majors? My theory is simple: your opponent can't mess up your game in golf. Thus, very few tennis players find "lightning in a bottle" and come from out of the blue to win a tennis tournament. In golf, it's simply much easier to have a great weekend and win a major; in tennis, you need to have a great two weeks AND defeat the strategies that are targeting you.

If you think my numbers are inflated because I used a non-Tiger period, please note that in 2000-09, with one tournamant still to go, there have once again been 14 players who have won one and only one major (as of now). What there aren't are nearly as many multiple winners (in fact, there are only seven -- Woods, Goosen, Singh, Michelson, Els, Harrington and Cabrera, consistent with my theory that Tiger has faced a lower level of competition overall).

07-20-09, 04:26 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
LAST EDITED ON 07-20-09 AT 04:27 PM (EST)

It's a difficult one, has Tiger faced lesser competition, or is he that good that he would have had the same achievements whatever the era?

Who knows maybe if he had been playing at his peak in the 90's he would have won even more titles!

ETR excess maybe

07-20-09, 08:02 PM (EST)
48. "Disagree"
LAST EDITED ON 07-20-09 AT 08:03 PM (EST)

By contrast, look at men's golf majors in the 1970s.

One-time winners:

Charles Coody (Masters, 1971)
Tommy Aaron (Masters, 1973)
Tom Weiskopf (Open, 1973)
Lou Graham (U.S. Open, 1975)
Jerry Pate (U.S. Open, 1976)
Lanny Wadkins (PGA, 1977)
John Mahaffey (PGA, 1978)

Only SEVEN one-time winners. How about multiple winners?

Tony Jacklin (1, his last of 2)
Billy Casper (1, his last of 3)
Raymond Floyd (1, the middle of 4)
Hubert Green (1, his first of 2)
Andy North (1, his first of 2)
Fuzzy Zoeller (1, his first of 2)
David Graham (1, his first of 2)
Seve Ballesteros (1, his first of 5)
Dave Stockton (2)
Johnny Miller (2)
Hale Irwin (2, his first of 3)
Tom Watson (3, the first of 8)
Gary Player (4, his last of 9)
Lee Trevino (4, the middle of 6)
Jack Nicklaus (8, the middle of 18)

FIFTEEN multiple winners. In other words, here the multiple winners stole victories from the one-timers, as opposed to now, where the number of one-timer victories has remained high, and the multiple winners have lost victories to Tiger.

In the 1980s, there were just eight one-timer victors -- and four of them came in the last three years of the decade, after Nicklaus, Trevino and Watson had suffered injuries that left them unable to compete. If only they had the sports medicine then that we do now....

07-20-09, 04:08 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
LAST EDITED ON 07-20-09 AT 07:13 PM (EST)

>If Federer is able to close
>out his career without ever
>losing in the first/second/third rounds
>of a major, or sustain
>an an injury that caused
>a break in his Major
>tournament record, that would put
>him one up in that
>category and enhance his comparison
>as the GOAT, at least
>between the two.

If we want to use that criteria, then Tiger is light years ahead of Federer. Federer was knocked out in the first round in three of the four Wimbledons immediately before he went on to win five in a row from '03 to '07. He went out in the first round of the French Open three times, most recently in '03, and has had four third-round exits in majors.

Sure, he's working on 21 consecutive major semi-finals, but he's been knocked out in the first three rounds a total of 10 times out of 41 majors (75.6% surviving the first three rounds), while Tiger has missed the cut in only three out of 54 majors (94.4% making the cut).

07-21-09, 09:01 AM (EST)
49. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Good points. Tiger would have the edge as it stands today based on that. But how far back should one go? How did either do as an amateur playing majors? And should a slow/fast learning curve be counted against either one or should one consider each of their records after they matured into the player they are now? I have to say that I am impressed and hopefully well instructed with those statistics. Thanks.

But if the question is ByOffer's post #39,

"Anyone feel that Woods not making the cut at the British Open tarnishes his record? Compare to Federer who has made so many major semifinals in a row."

In a row!

It seems to me that the answer to the first part would have to be an obvious yes. And missing the cut in a tournament does tarnish Woods claim to be the GOAT when compared to Federer, just like an early ejection from major would tarnish Federer's claim to be the GOAT when being compared to Woods.

The two sports are different. While they are individual sports (at least there's that common ground), it takes different skills to win majors in either sport consistently. It might be argued that one is more mental than the other (not I), or it might be argued that in golf it's easier because you only need to be better than the rest in a cumulative way, on the last day (poor old Tom). But with either one of them, losing a major has to tarnish his claim to GOAT. Somewhat at least.

I really hope Woods does come back into his old form, that the Tiger Woods show isn’t over yet. And I hope Federer completes his year slam, at least once. It's just great being able to watch these guys.

07-21-09, 09:44 AM (EST)
50. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
It's just great being able to watch these guys.

Now that is something that is not up for debate!

07-21-09, 10:06 AM (EST)
51. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Ditto... I do enjoy watching both of them because they're damn good at what they do, whether they're the GOAT or not.

I found it refreshing, though, to see the likes of Watson, Westwood, Cink, Fisher, Wood, Goggin, etc. on the back nine of The Open. Too much of a good thing isn't always ideal.

08-10-09, 10:12 AM (EST)
52. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
Regardless of his comparison to Federer, and of the difficulty of comparing him to old Golfing greats, recognizing as Woods the GOAT golfer would be appropriate, I think. Based on the last two tournament performances, it seems he has pretty much shook off his injury and is back in old form.

That deal with the time limit was weird, though.

08-10-09, 09:50 PM (EST)
53. "RE: Is Federer now the GOAT?"
It shows the difference between Tiger and many other golfers -- when Paddy and Tiger were put on the clock, Paddy fell to pieces with three horrible shots on the way to a triple bogey, while Tiger merely hit an 8-iron from 178 yards to only a foot from the hole for a birdie. Great players find a way to be cool under pressure (Turnberry aside) and Tiger showed it in this particular instance while paired up with another majors champion in Paddy.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-09, 08:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "How the frick do you even make a shot like that..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVQhIEPbM0g

09-13-09, 09:37 PM (EST)
55. "RE: How the frick do you even make a shot like that..."
That is ridiculous. Not just getting it in, but hitting it for a winner?

Thanks for posting that. I didn't see the match, but with Roger pulling off shots like that up 30-0 against the other guy's serve no wonder he broke for the match. That is the biggest factor for both Roger and Tiger - killer instinct when the game is on the line. Wow.

09-14-09, 09:13 AM (EST)
56. "RE: How the frick do you even make a shot like that..."
That shot was a phenomenal desperation shot that went for a winner. Aided by the fact that Djokovic surely knew that there was no way Federer could return the lob and was not prepared for it when he did. And at match deuce point no less.

The US Open was pretty interesting this year, the rise of 17 YO Oduin, her matches culminating with her loss to Wozniacki.

19 YO Caroline Wozniacki, the first Scandinavian woman in history to make the quarterfinals. I find that factoid to be a bit stunning

Unseeded Kim Clijsters won, becoming the first mother to win the title since way on back, and the first since Googlagong to win any major.

Her little girl celebrated, this is C&P from the LA Times article:
( http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-us-open-women14-2009sep14,0,1556808.story )

"Jada left her little-girl fingerprints on the silver trophy and dashed back and forth in front of the photographers. She also impishly kept pulling up one leg of her black stretch pants to her knee, even after Clijsters made motherly attempts to tidy up her toddler. It was suddenly possible to forget the scene 24 hours earlier on the same court." (referring to the self destructive implosion by which Serena lost her match against Clijsters).

Clisters coming out of retirement (she took 2 1/2 years off to have a baby) and defeated both Williams sisters. The drama at the end of the Serena Williams match was enough by itself to make this a memorable event.

Heather Watson, a 17-year-old from Guernsey became the first British winner of the girls' singles at the US Open.

The defeat of Nadal by Del Portro. (What?)

And (not finally, only stopping to catch breath), Federer continuing his amazing run at the open buy stopping Djokovic in three hard fought sets. Thus enhancing his claim to be the Greatest Men’s Singles Tennis Player of all Time.

09-15-09, 11:26 AM (EST)
61. "RE: How the frick do you even make a shot like that..."
Heather Watson, a 17-year-old from Guernsey became the first British winner of the girls' singles at the US Open.

And I had to listen to some idiot comparing her to Hingis. As someone pointed out later, when Hingis was 17 she was number 1 in the senior ranks.

09-14-09, 08:45 PM (EST)
57. "Dewey wins!!!"
Somebody over at CNNSI.com needs to be fired, pronto.

Uhhh, I don't think so.

What a performance by Juan Martin Del Potro!

09-14-09, 10:39 PM (EST)
58. "RE: Dewey wins!!!"
Too funny, Pepe.

I watched the first set and a half, and can't believe it went more than 3 sets based on the way Federer was destroying del Potro during that time. Maybe CNNSI turned it off when I did?

I am a Federer fan, but del Potro deserves the title for beating Nadal and Federer in succession.

09-15-09, 09:22 AM (EST)
59. "RE: Dewey wins!!!"
That was spectacular, and I agree, DelPotro deserves this, and so do we. I't just more fun when there the finals aren't so predictable.

Del Potro was great.

But I was really suprised after the way Federer handled Djokovic, I didn't think anyone could beat him at that point.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-09, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
60. "RE: Dewey wins!!!"
Juan Martin is my new boy crush! he'll be 21 in a week or so...

09-15-09, 01:01 PM (EST)
62. "RE: Dewey wins!!!"
Go for it mistress. He's about $2Mill richer, and doesn't speak English well. It's possible he doesn't know the word "Prenup" yet.

And it'd be kinda cool to be named Emydi Del (something).

09-15-09, 02:07 PM (EST)
63. "RE: Dewey wins!!!"
Juan Martin is my new boy crush! he'll be 21 in a week or so...

...oh no girlfriend....I saw him first!

01-31-10, 02:40 PM (EST)
64. "Aussie Open"
Ho hum... another Grand Slam for Federer, dominating Andy Murray by a 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 score.

That's now 23 consecutive semis (previous record was 10) and 18 out of 19 Grand Slams finals that Federer has appeared in.

His legacy is growing even further when guys like Nadal and Djokovic struggle with injuries and others like Murray and Roddick can never get over the hump, all the while Federer is just rolling along like usual.

01-31-10, 04:09 PM (EST)
65. "RE: Aussie Open"
Ya, and last I heard he is faithful to his wife.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Federer is my vote for GOAT.

07-08-12, 08:05 PM (EST)
66. "7th Wimbledon..."
LAST EDITED ON 07-08-12 AT 08:06 PM (EST)

Yeah, this thread is old but it's still alive. Sue me.

Federer just won his 7th Wimbledon in a vintage performance over Andy Murray. Murray played pretty well, actually, and won the first set but Federer just turned it on and controlled things in the final two-plus sets.

Will wait until the three retire before deciding anew if Fed is the G.O.A.T., but it's been a treat to watch him, Nadal and Djoker battle it out for tennis supremacy over the past few years. Since 2004, Fed/Nadal/Djoker have won 32 of 35 majors with only Gaudio in the 2004 French, Safin in the 2005 Aussie and del Potro in the 2009 U.S. Open have managed to break this stranglehold.

Based on what I saw from Andy Murray today, I don't think it'll be too long before he finally breaks through in a major.

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-12, 00:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
67. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
In addition of records, there is another way to judge the greatest of all tmes and that is to see how they did in confrontations with the best when they were rookies and how they do against the best when they are at the end of their careers.

Federer did well against Sampras, Agassi and the others when he was starting out and is now doing well against Nadal and Djokovic as he is ending his career. Nadal also did well when he started out while Djokovic had a bad record for a long time.

To me, Djokovic's already out of contention and Nadal still has a long way to go.

07-09-12, 05:10 AM (EST)
68. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
The first Brit in the mens finals at Wimbledon since 1938

Also this Wimbledon was the first time in my lifetime that a British man was on the winning mens doubles team

I don't think that it is possible to identify a GOAT in any sport (apart from Sir Don Bradman of course] because of the differing equipment and circumstances.

For Tennis Roger is up there with Borg, McEnroe, Agassi, and Sampras as one of the best men I have seen play. However Don Budge won six major titles in a row and had his career interrupted by WWII, Rod Laver had two Grand Slams and had his career interrupted by the change to professionalism, and Bill Tilden was voted the greatest tennis player of the first half of the 20th century (granted by the American Associated Press) with 310 votes out of 391 so GOAT I think we just can't say.

07-09-12, 08:20 AM (EST)
69. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
Do you find it interesting that when Murray does well, he's usually referred to as "Andy Murray, Britain" but when he doesn't, it sometimes come out as "Andy Murray, Scotland."

07-09-12, 09:08 AM (EST)
70. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
We used to have a player named Greg Rusedski, and I seem to remember just before his Wimbledon quarter final someone on the BBC saying "Will he become the great British hope, or will he remain Canadian"

07-09-12, 04:26 PM (EST)
71. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
I realize that comparisons over generations are truly impossible. That said, I consider Roger's accomplishments, in this age of competition (driven by $$) to be superior. Sure, he has the record for majors won which shows that he is a finisher, much like Sampras was. But his record for 32 straight quarterfinals shows that he combines the finishing with consistency. Basically he hasn't taken a major off (or had an off major) in 8 solid years. Remarkable.

I will admit that I never saw Budge nor Laver nor Tilden play. Clearly they had superb records. But since tennis became professional, no one has been a good, and as good for as long, as Roger Federer.

100% GOAT in my books.

07-09-12, 05:21 PM (EST)
73. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
Here we run into the pre-air and professionalism issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_male_players_statistics

So Ken Rosewall has won the most majors with 23 (although for 10 years there were sort of 7 majors0

Rod Laver has won the most career titles by a country mile

Bjorn Borg has the best win percentage at 89.81%

Pancho Gonzales has been ranked at world number 1 for 8 years (3 more than Roj!) Although next week Roger does take the record for the professional era from Pete Sanpras.

I'm not saying he isn't, just that he hasn't been dominant enough to be beyond doubt

07-09-12, 11:22 PM (EST)
74. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
By lining 4 greats up against Roger (each nipping him in one stat) are you proving the point?

Rosewall's major count is not comparable as you indicate because there were so many other majors in the years he competed.

Win pct is impressive (and Roger is very close to Borg) but to me this penalizes guys with long careers.

How did Laver get so many titles? His career was only one year longer than Roger's, and his win pct much (!) lower. They must have had a heck of a lot of competitions back then, or he just didn't skip any. Either way that is impressive.

I'm not sure about Gonzales. #1 for 8 yrs is impressive. Interesting that his career overlapped a bit with Rosewall's.

07-10-12, 08:41 AM (EST)
75. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
But to be the GOAT one has to be the best.

Bring on cloning, our Grandchildren might actually be able to see Tilden vs Perry, Rosewall vs Sampras, Agassi vs Laver and Federer vs Nadal.

Hang on a second...

07-10-12, 09:15 AM (EST)
76. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
Your "hang on a sec" refers to the analysis I was trying to do - look at the competition each of these stars faced. This is hard to do, since it is a double-edged sword. One could argue that Federer dominated because the competition was weak, or that he was so dominant that he negatively impacted the competitions statistics.

If not for Federer, these guys would all have a few (more) majors (and I am just counting losing in the finals, not tourneys where they may have lost in earlier rounds to Roger):
- Murray (3)
- Roddick (3)
- Nadal (2)
- Hewitt (1)
- Djokovic (1)

That is a lot of work Roger did to "hurt" the stats of his opponents, one of whom is still up with the all-time greats (Nadal).

Certainly it would seem that Borg played in an era where there was very high-level competition, with Connors and McEnroe, and it was these two who took 4 US Opens from Borg. Why did Borg not play the Aussie Open (other than when he was 17?)

Fun discussion, though we know there is no answer.

07-18-12, 10:42 PM (EST)
78. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
>Certainly it would seem that Borg played in an era where
>there was very high-level competition, with Connors and McEnroe, and
>it was these two who took 4 US Opens from
>Borg. Why did Borg not play the Aussie Open
>(other than when he was 17?)

Because prize money in the Australian Open was minimal, since there was no TV coverage outside of Australia and the Far East; players had to be there during Christmas and New Year's; and the stadium that hosted the event wasn't big enough to hold many spectators.

To deal with the complaints, the tournament was moved to mid-December in 1982 (and then to mid-January in 1987, so there was no 1986 tournament); and the stadium was shifted from sunbaked grass courts (which had to be soaked to save the grass from the heat, unlike Wimbledon, and so were notoriously unreliable and played more like clay than like grass) to a new stadium with Rebound Ace courts in 1988. Beginning in 1983, the top players returned to Australia, which made international broadcasts of the tournament possible, but the Australian Open still didn't received international broadcasting until around 2000 (which happened to be the year Andre Agassi won for the second time, and so there weren't any further problems in lining up a broadcast network). <I still remember the 1996 final, which was only shown on ESPN on an edited tape -- and only because it was Boris Becker versus American Michael Chang.>

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-12, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
72. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
I agree that the comparisons aren't perfect but we don't need perfection, just a good estimate. Don't forget that when Tilden, Budge, Laver and even Borg played, tennis was only played seriously in the US, Australia and half of Europe. Now, it truly is an international sport so today's champion had a bigger pyramid to climb. More athletes = more competition = Better champions.

07-18-12, 09:32 PM (EST)
77. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
I would have to say that Roger is the GOAT, all things considered. IMO. Both Djokovic and especially Nadal have talent and enough years left to become the GOAT in time, but right now, especially after Wimbleton 2012, it's Federer.

You can't make all things equal in order to make a true comparison valid, but I believe that earlier players don't compare to them on today's surfaces.

starshine 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

02-04-14, 08:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail starshine Click to send private message to starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
81. "RE: 7th Wimbledon..."
More athletes = more competition = Better champions

As my good friend Sportin' Life said "it ain't necessarily so"

I would agree more athletes generally equals higher overall standards. However I would not agree that it tells us the quality of the people at the very top.

Back in the 1990s one of our TV channels ran a "best British sportsman of the 20th century" program, but discounted just about everyone who competed before 1980 because their competition wasn't that good. As you can only beat whoever is put in front of you that seemed most unfair to me, and a program which could have celebrated 100 years of heroes instead celebrated about 15 years worth.

01-24-14, 02:42 PM (EST)
79. "New way of ranking?"
Certainly not the conclusive answer that some fans will want nor will it end the arguments/debates (especially after Nadal just crushed Fed last night), but here's a new way of looking at the GOAT argument.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/which-tennis-player-was-really-the-most-dominant-in-maj-1507503924/@kylenw

It seems to draw the conclusion that there are four that stands out above the rest in terms of the GOAT in men's tennis: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Bjorn Borg and Rod Laver in no particular order.

kidflash212 3979 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-04-14, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
80. "RE: New way of ranking?"
I would think Sampras should be in that conversation.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •