The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Nikki and Paulo"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Lost Forum (Protected)
Original message

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-16-07, 11:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Nikki and Paulo"
Honestly, I was angry and disappointed by how abruptly they were removed from the show.

Here's a paragraph from the most recent issue of Entertainment Weekly:

The producers are working very hard to keep the fans who are still watching satisfied and tuned in. That's why they (literally) buried Kiele Sanchez and Rodrigo Santori's unpopular newcomers, Nikki and Paulo. Originally, the diamond-swiping crooks were to have anchored a winking arc of stories; one twist-ending epsidoe would have devoted its flashback to Nikki's cheeky TV show, Expose, about strippers who solve crimes. But faced with mounting disdain toward the abruptly introduced characters - and ramped-up viewer frustration with the show's aggressibely enigmatic storytelling - the producers decided in December to telescope their ideas into a single, kiss-off episode. "Back when we had more faith with the audience, we could have gotten away with these shenanigans. Given the backlash against them, we had to clean up the mess," says (executive producer Damon) Lindelof. "We're now judges on an episode-by-episode basis. There's not a lot of room for error."

Well, from my vantage point on the couch every Wednesday evening, it looks like the producers made an error with this one. So, they actually had a plan for Nikki and Paulo, a fully-developed plot arc --- but they nixed it. That seems like "shenanigans" to me.

I have been a loyal viewer of "Lost" and I trusted the producers, the writers, and the actors every time they told me that I needed to be patient. I was happy to be patient because I enjoy a well-crafted story that pays off big in the end even if the rewards seem to come slowly throughout the rest of the process.

I would have been much more satisfied with a Nikki and Paulo story that played out and justified the addition of Sanchez and Santoro to the cast. The way the producers got rid of them only served to suggest that they were indeed a careless afterthought rather than important secondary pieces of a larger "Lost" puzzle. The producers said they had to clean up the mess, but it looks like they were more sloppy than anything else in the way they went about doing so.

I guess I should have stopped trusting the "Lost" team when they killed off Libby with no flashbacks and a weak backstory. Their latest attempt to get back in my good graces actually alienated them even more.

Besides, both Kiele Sanchez and Rodrigo Santoro are hot. That alone should have given them some more camera time.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Nikki and Paulo weltek 04-16-07 1
 Who? moonbaby 04-16-07 2
   Touche HistoryDetective 04-16-07 3
 RE: Nikki and Paulo Ice 9 04-16-07 4
 RE: Nikki and Paulo Bebo 04-17-07 5
   RE: Nikki and Paulo geg6 04-18-07 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-07, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Nikki and Paulo"
I agree somewhat, although I wish instead they'd have kept Libby around and focused on HER plotline. I kept feeling like we got half-stories on the fringe characters. I'd rather see the producers and writers put all their energy into a core cast than in new losties for the sake of more losties.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-07, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Who?"

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-07, 03:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Touche"

Ice 9 288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-16-07, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ice%209 Click to send private message to Ice%209 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Nikki and Paulo"
I really think that what DL, CC, et al. are most guilty of is biting off more than they could chew. They said in the podcast following Nikki and Paulo's demise that they really intended to do more with the characters, but with everything else they were trying to do with season 3 that they just kept getting pushed to the back burner.

Ironically, they wanted to introduce other Losties to appease the fan outcry that they only focus on 14 survivors of 40+ total that sprang up in season 1. Although to be fair, they completely mismanaged this Paulo/Nikki thing in terms of introduction placement. There was really no way they were going to do them any kind of justice this season, and by the time their episode aired, the only real option they had was a mercy killing. I do wonder though if part of the problem was a ripple effect from Eko's forced departure.

The truth is that they're human and make mistakes. For every Nikki and Paulo fiasco, there are still dozens of reasons to continue to watch the show though...in my opinion, of course.

Though they've been lauded for their attention to the fan community, it seems that their attempts to appease them always blow up in their faces. I truly believe that they do their best work when they just write the show the way they originally wanted to. Maybe it will alienate viewers, but this approach nets the same effect.

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings

04-17-07, 01:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Nikki and Paulo"
I was disappointed too. I've been reading on spoiler sites for a good portion of the season that there had been a purpose in bringing Nikki and Paulo on board, and that the hardcore fans would really be psyched and big fans once everything was played out. If they had that much faith in that story, they should have told it. Lost rocked when the writers said to hell with formula and did what they wanted to do the way they wanted to do it.

Now I just think it couldn't have been that awesome if they undid it that easily. And now I'm less likely to buy in when the spoiler sites say that cool things are coming up. I did get a little bit of faith restored by last week's Juliet ep, because that gave me answers while opening up a boatload of questions.

To me, Juliet's an example of Lost done right. Interesting character, interesting development, and a good combination of wrapping up old story while driving new story. That's what I loved in season one - getting some answers, but having more questions pop into my mind as those questions were being answered.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

04-18-07, 09:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Nikki and Paulo"
Exactly my feelings. I couldn't have said it any better.

Thanks, Bebo! You saved me a lot of time and effort.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •