The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Food room"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Lost Forum (Protected)
Original message

J I M B O 6839 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-13-05, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to send private message to J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Food room"

Ok, Jimbo is missing something here…what the crap is going on with the food room? We know Desmond consumed more than just the mystery injection (showed him making a smoothie in premier right?). We also know he hasn’t seen anyone for years. So why is there a room with ‘only’ three months of food supply? Why wouldn’t he have gone through it at all? Wouldn’t seem sensible that he’d be getting re-stocked via airdrop, and there's no sign that he lived off the land.

If anything, I would have expected an underground cave full of food or tons of MRE-type things. It just seems SO out of place and without explanation…but we all know the writers wouldn’t allow something so obviously stupid in there without reason.

Any ideas?

does anyone remember what he put into the blender during the first ep this season? was there an egg?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Food room GumbyGirl 10-13-05 1
   RE: Food room Steph_Fan 10-13-05 4
       RE: Food room volsfan 10-13-05 5
 RE: Food room TenPin 10-13-05 2
 RE: Food room ladro 10-13-05 3
 RE: Food room Das Mole 10-13-05 6
   RE: Food room QueenV 10-13-05 7
       RE: Food room realitycoholic 10-14-05 8
 RE: Food room winter999 10-14-05 9
   RE: Food room AugustGirl 10-14-05 10
 RE: Food room Maroonclown 10-18-05 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

GumbyGirl 40 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-13-05, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GumbyGirl Click to send private message to GumbyGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Food room"
There was a 3-months supply for ALL of the survivors... 41 of them, at 3 meals a day. Desmond is only one person, so it would have lasted quite a bit longer.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Steph_Fan 473 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-13-05, 08:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Steph_Fan Click to send private message to Steph_Fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Food room"
Actually, I think Hurley said it was a 3 month supply for 1 man. Can anyone confirm?

Courtesy of Phoenix Mons

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-05, 09:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Food room"
You are correct...there was a 3 month supply for 1 man. This is the exact reason Hurley was upset with having to monitor the food because he didn't want to have to tell people no.

I think Hurley told Jack that they would have one huge meal and then leftovers and beyond that the food would be gone. This would get Hurley off the block with having to ration food.

TenPin 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-13-05, 05:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TenPin Click to send private message to TenPin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Food room"
I too have been curious on the food issue back from the point that we learned that someone/something lived in the hatch (when the light turned on inside). Obviously we can see the station wasn’t being re-supplied with new technology or even the music selection. The orientation video gives the impression that replacement workers would be arriving, so it is logical to think that consumable supplies would be replaced as well.

One possibility includes the idea that there are other, undiscovered food pantries that Desmond knew of that haven’t been found yet. The fact that Desmond would lock a potentially contaminated prisoner in his only food supply seems a little strange to me. (Maybe it was the closest room with a lock?) The idea that there is more undiscovered food is my favorite idea.

A second possibility is that knowing replacements were few and far between Desmond may have been practicing extreme rationing of his food. He could be really stretching the supply, hence a smoothie meal every now and again. (I thought he was adding canned peach halves into the blender.)

I think that the most likely idea is that the writers felt that they needed to address the issue of food in the hatch, but didn’t want to make it a continuing story line. Show that Desmond had food for him, but not enough to support all our survivors. It made for an interesting window into Hurley’s character and past, but no need to prolong the issue. Maybe the writers thought: “Use up all the food and it is now a non issue. Hopefully one will analyze the problem in detail.” The writing so far has been great, and may have slipped a touch on this detail.

Of course I could just be totally wrong… it has happened before.

TenPin

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-13-05, 07:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Food room"
That didn't make sense to me either. The food room looked pretty packed. There are probably half a dozen mildly plausible explainations, some already mentioned, so I didn't think it was too big a deal. If there was only three months of food for one person, why did they need an inventory?, it should have been obvious that there was not that much food.

Since your on the subject; Big discrepancies in the show that I don't recall anyone mentioning,

1.the location of hatch: I was under a mountain stream. Given the frequent monsoons it seems unlikely to me that they could have diverted the stream sufficiently to excavate that much soil.

2. Why did no one make an effort to look for an alternative entrance to the room under the hatch? After spending a couple of days unsuccesfully trying to open the hatch, a reasonable person would have looked for an alternate entrance to the tomb. If someone had just made a effort to look for the main entrance he could have probably found it within an hour.

Das Mole 2364 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

10-13-05, 10:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Das%20Mole Click to send private message to Das%20Mole Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Food room"
OR, and I might be way off on this b/c of something I may not know or whatever...

...Perhaps Desmond hasn't really been down there for however long he said he was down there. Maybe he was losing his mind (as I'm sure was possible, having to press a button every 108 minutes).

Don't know if this is even possible or not, but it could be, assuming I haven't missed some sort of important fact.

QueenV 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-13-05, 10:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail QueenV Click to send private message to QueenV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Food room"
I just posted on the "Orientation" thread...through one of the hanso sites I was taken to a company that manufactures...you guessed it ...MRE's http://www.drytech.no/index.php?lang=eng

realitycoholic 216 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-14-05, 01:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitycoholic Click to send private message to realitycoholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Food room"
...and look at who's listed on the site:

Jenssen, Arne Hugo Produksjonstekniker 77600312 48201963

Another Hugo!

**Work of arzt by PhoenixMons**

winter999 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-14-05, 09:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail winter999 Click to send private message to winter999 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Food room"
Notice that 3 months supply is real close to 108 days? Also notice that the shelve were quite full, not half or mostly empty. Thoughts?

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

10-14-05, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Food room"
Good catch, winter. Very interesting indeed.

I think there is definitely another source of food, and I'm sure our castaways will find it eventually.

a GothMog original

Maroonclown 5817 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-05, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Food room"
Maybe I'm a victim of my own pop culture here but I can't shake the feeling that the writers are borrowing heavily from Star Trek - the original and the only good one.

There were so many episodes depicting shore leave but there were a couple in particular that make me go hmmmmmm. There was one episode where a "wizard" type of fellow used our crew as puppets for his own amusement and another which dealt with manufactured fantasies.

So why couldn't there be a manufacturing plant on the island - in another bunker as we now know there are more than one or two? Maybe the food manufacturing plant has been damaged or is controlled by pushing the button every 108 minutes or something!!!!

Ergh.

Slice and Dice Chop Shop 2005

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •