The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Lost Forum (Protected)
Original message

roulette074 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-05-05, 09:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail roulette074 Click to send private message to roulette074 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
LAST EDITED ON 10-05-05 AT 10:16 PM (EST)

I AM. Yes I know it is somewhat important to the storyline but could they not do so many please. You are just getting excited about something happening on the island when all of a sudden..............FLASHBACK TIME.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... zombiebaby 10-05-05 1
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... ladro 10-05-05 2
   RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... Tiger Lily 10-05-05 3
       RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... ladro 10-06-05 4
       RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... torchlight 10-06-05 10
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... AugustGirl 10-06-05 5
 DUMBEST. POST. EVER. shakes the clown 10-06-05 6
   RE: DUMBEST. POST. EVER. roulette074 10-06-05 7
   RE: DUMBEST. POST. EVER. Maroonclown 10-07-05 12
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... hunterjax 10-06-05 8
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... CattyChat 10-06-05 9
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... Elaine0 10-07-05 11
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... Maroonclown 10-07-05 13
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... true 10-07-05 14
   RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... DonnaLynn 10-07-05 15
   Agree 100% FesterFan1 10-07-05 18
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... Tahj 10-07-05 16
 Missing the point Rhyn 10-07-05 17
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... lrlr1 10-13-05 19
   RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... Rhyn 10-13-05 21
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... lrlr1 10-13-05 20
 RE: Anyone getting tired of all the... lrlr1 10-13-05 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

zombiebaby 7355 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-05-05, 09:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
Actually I could do with more flashbacks than what they have been doing.

A PhoenixMons Creation

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-05-05, 11:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
Yes. I think they are there to bring people who did not watch Season One up to speed on the backgrounds of the islanders.

Tiger Lily 1679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-05-05, 11:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiger%20Lily Click to send private message to Tiger%20Lily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
Actually, they did flashbacks all through season one as well, because we were not given any background information to begin with at all. The backgrounds of the various characters are all important to the story somehow, and according to the producers, are connected to each other in some way. That's why they keep giving us more and more backstory.

Personally, I like the flashbacks.

I think it's fascinating how different Locke is now from the Locke in the flashbacks.

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-06-05, 00:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
LAST EDITED ON 10-06-05 AT 00:24 AM (EST)

I watched season one, and I am aware that there were flashbacks in season one. The issue that I have with most of the flashbacks that have taken place so far in season two are that they usually add little and often NO new information that the season one flashbacks did not contain. Most of season two flashbacks just reiterate the content of Season one flashbacks. IHMO the Locke flashbacks this episode were just a way to restate that Locke was an orphan, and that Locke's father is rich, a jerk and tricked him into giving him his kidney.

Since I am on the subject of Locke's falshbacks; the idea that Helen was somehow hired by Locke's father to seduce Locke and pull Locke away form him appeals to me, but I doubt it will turn out that way. And, I think the Helen on the Phone sex line, was a different woman that Locke just liked to call Helen.

torchlight 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-06-05, 07:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail torchlight Click to send private message to torchlight Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
I agree! I'm finding Locke more and more intersting because of the flashbacks. I'm also beginning to get "tired" of Jack, his flashbacks, his angst. He is wound way too tight.

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

10-06-05, 07:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
I like the flashbacks. I want to know about their lives before the crash, and I really want to know how all of their lives are intertwined, because it's apparent they are.

To me the flashbacks give great insight into who they are today, and why they act the way they do on the island. What I want to know is what makes Locke so accepting of the fact that if the numbers are not input every 108 minutes then something will go bad, and yet Jack is so sure it's all just a social experiment. These are two dynamic men and I really want to know more about them.

I want to know what makes all these people tick, and seeing them in flashbacks gives us clues.

a GothMog original

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-06-05, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "DUMBEST. POST. EVER."
>I AM. Yes I know it
>is somewhat important to the
>storyline but could they not
>do so many please. You
>are just getting excited about
>something happening on the island
>when all of a sudden..............FLASHBACK
>TIME.

....let me guess, you were also one of the people complaining after episode #1 that they spent too much time in the hatch and no time on the "others". And then in ep #2 you were mad that they went back and showed the hatch stuff again from different POV's instead of moving onto a new story.

Damn do I hate posts like this...imo, people who feel this way shouldn't even be watching this show. They don't have the capacity to appreciate how great this show is.

Hers is some advice for ya...stop watching Lost, go watch CSI instead...you'll be happy to know that each hour comes with a nice and tidy ending to whatever mystery was raised during that episode.

So don't take the simple fact that I think Shakes is godlike to mean that I think he isn't an ass. -Samiam 10/12/04

roulette074 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-06-05, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail roulette074 Click to send private message to roulette074 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: DUMBEST. POST. EVER."
And now some advice for you. It works both ways, if you don't care for my post, then don't reply to it. Have a good day.

Maroonclown 5817 desperate attention whore postings

10-07-05, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: DUMBEST. POST. EVER."
Hi Shakes. Long time lurking fan of your work.

Slice and Dice Chop Shop 2005

hunterjax 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-06-05, 03:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail hunterjax Click to send private message to hunterjax Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
Now that you mention it, I did find myself wanting to fast forward through the flashbacks last night. It's not so much that I'm disinterested in the background info, but I'm so totally into the present time that I want to know what's going on. It's almost like I think I'm missing out on something during the flashback stuff. Plus, I really don't like Locke with hair. He was so wimpy!

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-06-05, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
I wasn't that excited by Jack's flashback in the season premier, because I didn't think it added much to what we already knew. BUT I LOVED last night's flashback.

There is still so much more of Locke to find out. I can't wait to see what happens with Helen & how he ends up paralyzed & when he finally makes his "faith" awakening & lets go of the anger. Need more Locke flashbacks.

I really think the flashbacks are making the show in trying to piece together who everyone is & how they may be connected, what is the common thread that has them on this island. If they focused solely on the main happenings on the island itself -- who are the others, what is the possible creature -- the show would run itself out too quickly.

Long story short, me like the flashbacks & want more.

Elaine0 1507 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-07-05, 09:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Elaine0 Click to send private message to Elaine0 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
I love the flashbacks. Yes I get frustrated when I'm interested in what is going on and they switch to a flashback. But isn't that normal? On episode 2 I wanted to know what was going on in the hatch, but I also wanted to know what was going on with M/S in the water and was frustrated whenever they switched from one to the other. But the great thing with Lost is that whatever they switch to is usually interesting and you usually learn something from it. Sometimes you learn more from the flashbacks than you do from life on the island.

But what really frustrates me is how many people cannot wait for the answers. That seems to be the norm on other boards, but not as much on this one. Speculating on what the answers are is what makes the show so much fun. Like Shakes says, if you don't want to wait for answers, watch CSI. That is why I don't usually watch shows like CSI. I don't like a story tied up neatly every hour. I want to keep the show with me.

This is a fun show. Enjoy the story as it unfolds because when it is over, you'll wish it was just starting.

Maroonclown 5817 desperate attention whore postings

10-07-05, 09:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
I love the flashbacks. In Season 1 they gave us a initial history of the characters but now they are filling in the blanks and bringing us closer to take off.

And we all know to look for clues during the flashbacks, I'm constantly watching the backgrounds for other characters, animals, numbers,etc.

Just a quick note about Katey Sagel. I now realize that I am a victim of pop-culture. I no longer see Peg Bundy, but rather I hear Leela.

Slice and Dice Chop Shop 2005

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

10-07-05, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
I totally disagree. THe flashbacks/backstory are, IMO, the best part of the show!

"somewhat important to the storyline" Somewhat??? Without them, we'd know next to nothing about these characters. None of their actions would make any sense without the backstory. We'd know nothing about the numbers, nothing about why Sawyer is so angry, and the list goes on and on. The backstory is brilliant, and without it, this show would suck.

I doubt there is anyone on the board that I agree with on every single issue. Well, except true - all right-thinking people always agree with true. -Executive Princess Pooh

DonnaLynn 582 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-07-05, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DonnaLynn Click to send private message to DonnaLynn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
I like the flashback to a point! I agree with the original poster that sometimes you'll be really getting into something happening on the island when BAM! you'll get a 20 min flashback... Both my hubby and I (avid fans of the show) mentioned this Weds night... We'd like to see a better mix of present and past shown...

P.S. Just because someone doesn't agree with our opinions, that doesn't mean they don't "deserve" to watch this show! One person's opinions don't make the world go 'round! If it did, this world would be a very boring place!

http://www.geocities.com/craftscrochetnmore/index.htm

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

10-07-05, 08:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Agree 100%"
I have nothing else to add, except to mention the thing I am tired of: Folks complaining about this show. It's the best on TV and 2nd place isn't anywhere close.

Those who think we haven't learned anything with the flashbacks aren't paying attention.

Fester

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-07-05, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
I agree. I liked the flashbacks in the first season. I don't like them now. Filler, I call 'em, pure filler.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Rhyn 524 desperate attention whore postings

10-07-05, 01:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rhyn Click to send private message to Rhyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Missing the point"
LAST EDITED ON 10-07-05 AT 01:15 PM (EST)

The show isn't a "Push, Nevada" type experiment. It's not a "mystery" that we all need to solve. It's a drama (with comic elements) about people and characters.

Lost producers acknowledge a smaller, vocal fan base deeply interested in "cult" aspects of the show, but they say the show's huge audience — it was last week's third-most-watched program with 23.2 million viewers — indicates broader interest. The writers seek balance, executive producer Damon Lindelof says.

Although the producers are interested in advancing the mysteries of the island, "the real story we're trying to tell is about the people," Lindelof says. "We attribute (the large audience) to the fact that people are really watching the characters, so we try to focus on that.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-10-04-lost-inside_x.htm
(That's the article Elaine0 linked in her post on page one.)

The show is a character-driven program first and a mystery, complex plot-line, thriller-esque "cult" program second. I'm not going to be one of those "If you don't like the flashbacks, then don't watch the program" kind of people, but really, this is a very character driven show, those that don't like it will likely need to resign themselves to it, because the writers and producers have no plans to change the formula.

(And, not surprisingly, I'm rather glad for it, too. I started watching this show for Hurley's wit, Sawyer's charm, Sun's secret, a desire to know why Jin was so controlling, a desire to know if Charlie would kick his habit, and a desire to see the baby Claire was carrying born. Not for the hatch, the polar bears, the black shadow or the French woman. Certainly, they make this show compelling and unique, but they are not why I watched, or why I continue to watch. I watch to see if Charlie will stay clean, if Michael and Walt will ever form the bond a father and son should have, and if Hurley will make me actually laugh out loud with his smart-ass comments. The mystery element is great, and I, too, wanted to know what was in the hatch, what the numbers mean, and what was meant by "security system," but lots of shows have complex plots and mysteries, and I watch none of them. Just this one, with it's its amazing characters.)

lrlr1 512 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-05, 02:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lrlr1 Click to send private message to lrlr1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
First of all, I like the flashbacks. I am beginning to wonder, however, if the characters/flashbacks are not the WHOLE show rather than 'characters and mystery'! We went through season 1 with question after question being raised (the hatch, the lottery #s, Claire's baby, Walts psychic(?) powers, etc.) and no answers. Season 2 seems to be a repeat of Season 1's question after question being raised. When will we see some DEFINITIVE answers (so the hatch was raised -- we get another question/mystery!)? And although Lost is my favorite show, some of the brilliance is dimming with the 'borrowing' from other shows/movies that the writers are doing. Claire's baby is a nod to Rosemary's Baby (producers said that in a TV Guide interview). Now Desmond is saying they will all die if he doesn't finagle with his 'stuff' in the hatch in a set time day after day, ad nauseum (people are guessing the world will blow up if he doesn't calibrate something or the lottery #s aren't typed on the computer, whatever, every 108 minutes). This is straight out of "Needful Things", an old Rod Serling Twilight Zone episode!!! All this borrowing ideas and themes from other shows/movies also makes me not so certain the writers have a clear, coherent possible-finale in mind as they churn out the episodes. And if they don't, where's the fun in 'guessing' a solution to the island, about the interlinking of the characters? No definitive answers to ANYTHING, EVER, along with continuously raising new mysteries/questions AND borrowing story ideas from different, non-related movies, is not going to cut it.

Give me the flashbacks, lay off other people's work (Rosemary's Baby, Needful Things, and whatever else) and give me some answers -- at least one, for pete's sake! this season!!.

Rhyn 524 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-05, 07:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rhyn Click to send private message to Rhyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
I don't think that what the producers and writers on Lost are doing can be considered out and out "borrowing" (with or without the derogatory quotes.

Nods are more what they are, which you said, and I don't think it's possible to write a script (or a short story, or a play, or a newspaper article) that hasn't already been written. The difference comes in your presentation, your technique, the way you lead from one thought to the next. That's where the talent is. The Lost people do this really well, so even though we have seen "could be the end of the world unless they X" before, we haven't seen it like this.

Did you know that Star Wars "borrowed" a lot, too? Flash Gordon was a huge inspiration, and even samurai movies influenced the script, characters and specific scenes. Often producers and writers will call for the scene to be shot in a very specific way, to make us recall another director who often employed that technique, or as a simple nod to a favorite of their own.

I don't think it's stealing. When it comes down to it, this show is well made and interesting, and yes, even fresh (Rosemary's baby? Really? Needful things? They just don't compare.) just like Star Wars was.

And the little side mysteries about the characters: I don't think they are really so much mysteries as cliffhangers (with the numbers exception, which is obviously a major plot point) that will resume or be expanded on the next time that character has an episode.

10-13-05, 02:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lrlr1 Click to send private message to lrlr1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
Just an addendum: I see where they're saying the producers of Lost read the message boards. If it is true and you're reading this Mr. Producer: Please, please, please do NOT let Walt find a cookbook on the island entitled "How to Serve Humans". Please!

10-13-05, 01:45 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Anyone getting tired of all the flashbacks??"
It is one thing to give a 'nod' to another's work; it quite a different thing to 're-write' another's script. The nod to Rosemary's Baby was cute. And complimentary. Before I even read the TV Guide article, I had already told someone that the Claire's baby theme reminded me of Rosemary's Baby. When the TV Guide article came out, I got bragging rights from it!

Needful Things, however, is a different story. The writers took the EXACT SAME idea of a human being responsible for keeping the world from blowing up by fidgeting with gadgets at appointed times during the day (thinking about it, I'm not sure that is the correct title - but the story starred Burgess Meredith and it was the exact same premise). This is not a complimentary 'nod' to another writer. This is stealing another writer's idea! So you have a different locale (a hatch instead of a room) and different character names. It's the same premise!

Star Wars 'nodded' to its predecessors. I defy anyone to point to anything in Star Wars that is in any way reminiscent of Flash Gordon! The only thing they have is common is their genre - space pictures. Lucas 'nodded' to the unnamed sammauri pictures. To my knowledge, he did not take a 'story' and add 200 more pages to it! (Desmond acted EXACTLY like Burgess Meredith in the purloined storyline - running around the hatch like a chicken with its head cut off trying to save the world from blowing up. Exact same chicken-running as Burgess, exact same manic expression on his face as on Burgess', exact same end result - the world is saved for one more day! Only one difference - Burgess' film was done pre-computer, so he used a clock).

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •