The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Bagua Logo/The Island"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Lost Forum (Protected)
Original message

StrangerMan 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-29-05, 09:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail StrangerMan Click to send private message to StrangerMan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Bagua Logo/The Island"
Snidget informed us that the logo used in the hatch (and on the shark) was a take off on the Bagua symbol

Can any of the LOST community help me find simularities to the meanings of the Bagua and things that happen on the Island?

StrangerMan

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Bagua Logo/The Island Snidget 09-29-05 1
 RE: Bagua Logo/The Island ladro 09-29-05 2
   RE: Bagua Logo/The Island Snidget 09-29-05 3
       RE: Bagua Logo/The Island Snidget 09-29-05 4
 RE: Bagua Logo/The Island miamicatt 09-30-05 5
   RE: Bagua Logo/The Island TeamJoisey 09-30-05 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-29-05, 09:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Bagua Logo/The Island"
I mentined it on the episode thread, but I'll repeat in brief.

The bagua is fundamental to understanding the way things are. It is a basic concept in Chinese Philosophy that is over-arching.

I looked a few things up some in Feng Shui practice do use it to ward off evil, so that is how they may be use.

All things on the island, like all things in life are in constant transformation. the Bagua and the I Ching which is the 8 trigrams of the Bagua (and I noticed this is the newer arrangement of the Bagua not the older one I am use to for Tai Chi uses) combined in all ways.

It is about transformation and change and we've seen that on the show (like Locke walking) and the whole Yin and Yang thing does harken to all things being inter-related and all the people on the island have these odd inter-relations.

But it could be a red herring and used because it is very iconic and kinda cool.

http://qi-journal.com/Philosophy.asp?-token.SearchID=EightTrigrams discusses the trigrams and the various arrangements

Here is a quote about the arrangements of the trigrams. this is the Later Heaven arrangement.

"When looking at the Later Heaven (King Wen) arrangement, we read the progressive pattern along the periphery in a clockwise rotation. Reading the trigrams in a circular arrangement symbolizes the elements of infinity and continuity. The movement in this arrangement flows from the superficial qualities to deep qualities, from new life to maturation of life, and from the physical existence to the spiritual existence.

Whereas the Early Heaven (Fu Hsi) arrangement is based on a balance of opposing forces representing a primordial order based in stillness and beyond space and time parameters, the Later Heaven arrangement depicts the development of life in the time-spaced conditioned world."

We usually use the Early Heaven one in Tai Chi as that martial art is a lot about balancing opposing forces.

Usint the Later Heaven one could be symbolic of the show because of the flowing from one state into another that seems to fit better.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-29-05, 10:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Bagua Logo/The Island"
LAST EDITED ON 09-29-05 AT 11:11 AM (EST)

I didn't see it on the shark. I didn't notice anything much about the shark. Maybe I blinked, maybe it was just my poor night vision. Was it a natrually occuring looking pattern, or was it clearly a man made marking?

eta: is that the way it supposed to be oriented, or is it upside down?

09-29-05, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Bagua Logo/The Island"
North is on the bottom for both the Early and Late Heaven arrangements see the qi-journal article.

I thought I saw it flash on the shark and then used the DVR to back track and paused on it. If you blinked you would have missed it. It was when the shark did the close up swim by.

It was near the tail and did not look natural, it was exactly like the logos on all the food.

09-29-05, 12:32 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Bagua Logo/The Island"
I found a vidcap, it isn't identical from this shot, but it is very similar. Not sure how good the vidcap is.

Found on the Fuselage message board.

miamicatt 9247 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 02:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail miamicatt Click to send private message to miamicatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Bagua Logo/The Island"
LAST EDITED ON 09-30-05 AT 02:23 PM (EST)

Wow, cool.

My first thought was that it was a corporate logo. But this is much cooler.

ETA: My friend swears he saw the symbol on the food cans in Desmond's pantry. Anyone else spot this?

TeamJoisey 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-30-05, 04:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Bagua Logo/The Island"
LAST EDITED ON 09-30-05 AT 04:50 PM (EST)

Catt, It's all over everything in the storeroom. It's on an electrical box in the hallway. It's on the breast of Desmond's jumpsuit. It's on the computer.

You can get a good look at the it in the thread from the other night. And it shows up in the Spoiler photos thread.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •