The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Trading Spouses / Wife Swap Forum (Protected)
Original message

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-28-05, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses"
I have recently become a convert having watched Trading Spouses since its inception and only recently catching a few episodes of Wife Swap. To my mind, hands down, Wife Swap is the better show. Sure Trading Spouses is wackier, louder and more confrontational - and I used to really enjoy that aspect of it. But you never (or rarely) feel like the people in the show actually learn anything from each other or become better families for the experience. Wife Swap is a bit more thoughtful, and you do get to see how the swap affects the families afterward - which I think really gives the show some great perspective.

The God Warriors and toothless Wopperers are certainly fun to look at, but watching Wife Swap I'm usually more insprired than I am disgusted. And after a while being disgusted by people gets old.

What do you think? Do you watch both - have you watched the other?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses BHoneycutt 12-29-05 1
   RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses nazpink 12-29-05 2
       RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses PagongRatEater 12-29-05 3
           RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses nazpink 12-30-05 4
       RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses BHoneycutt 01-07-06 5
 RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses Loree 01-07-06 6
 RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses Hoobie 01-11-06 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

BHoneycutt 119 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-29-05, 02:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BHoneycutt Click to send private message to BHoneycutt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses"
I watch and enjoy them both. I especially like to see how the money is going to be spent on Trading Spouses. Do they even get money for being on Wife Swap? To me, I don't see too many differences between the two shows. Thinking back on some of the episodes, I can't even recall which ones were Wife Swap and which ones were Trading Spouses because I think the shows are so similar. My favorite episode of all time is definitely the GOD WARRIOR. I taped it and made everyone I know watch it so they will know what I am referring to when I make fun of Margerite. Man, she was a hoot!
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

nazpink 1058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-29-05, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nazpink Click to send private message to nazpink Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses"
The families on Wife Swap get money and it's done the same way as on Trading Spouses, the new "mommy" gets to decide for the other family. Personally, I think that both shows are very similar, although I haven't really seen that many new Wife Swap shows this season, as I have been watching another show at the same time it is on. What I do remember is that ABC seems to be copying Fox because I recall that Trading Spouses was on first then Wife Swap came out soon after and the same with Nanny 911 and Supernanny....so with that said I doubt they are going for too many differences in each other.

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings

12-29-05, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses"
Actually, Fox stole the idea from ABC which lifted the idea from a show in the UK. Fox just managed to get their show on the air sooner.

That being said, DW and I both find that Trading Spouses has that 'Fox attitude' where the show is generally geared toward the Jerry Springer crowd, whereas our experience is Wife Swap almost always shows what the two families learn from each other (which they invariably learn something). Also, Wife Swap is two weeks with the second week living under the new moms rules, Trading Spouses did this in the beginning but no longer and is for only one week. Finally, WS shows a 'where are they now' update and lets you know what changes the family instituted because of the swap. TS is much more focused on the controversy and the ridiculous aspects of the swap, but usually I find myself smiling at WS and what the people learn from very different lifestyles.

nazpink 1058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-30-05, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nazpink Click to send private message to nazpink Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses"
Yeah, I think that Trading Spouses does give it a more controversy spin but both shows are still similar not the exact same but close. I agree that it does seem as though the families don't have to comply with the new mom's rules as much and it's kind of disappointing as it's supposed to be a big change for the families and not just the mom's.

BHoneycutt 119 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-07-06, 02:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BHoneycutt Click to send private message to BHoneycutt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses"
Are you sure they get money on Wife Swap? I've never seen that part of the show. The spouses meet up and tell each other what they like and/or dislike about the other's family but I don't recall anyone talking about money. On Trading Spouses, only the moms meet up at the end to give each other the sealed envelopes which reveal how the money will be spent.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-06, 08:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses"
I watch both series. I think the big difference is that the couples meet at the end of the one show. And just the wives talk at the end of the other to exchange the money envelopes. I can't believe any family now going on Trading Spouses doesn't realize the new mother gets to hand out the money.

Hoobie 569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-11-06, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Hoobie Click to send private message to Hoobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Wife Swap vs. Trading Spouses"
Interesting take:

DH much prefers Wife Swap, while I much prefer Trading Spouses. Another fun point, DH prefers that we record Wife Swap in our bedroom, and watch just before bedtime - but Trading Spouses in the living room.

In any event, the reasons I prefer Trading Spouses are that it's lighter, the quirky background music, the money exchange and reactions at the end and the polarity of the wives chosen. I also like that the episodes are usually 2 weeks long.

I don't like when the fathers are "traded". Nor, that stupid "Vacation Swap" special that they did last year.

I agree with the other posters -- I don't think that money is exchanged for Wife Swap, except maybe the standard fare for appearing on TV.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •