The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Simon's Subtle Barb"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Harrison 173 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-25-05, 08:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Harrison Click to send private message to Harrison Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Simon's Subtle Barb"
Did anyone else catch Simon's recognition of Bo's nerves last night? It wasn't so much the recognition of the nerves themselves that I found to be needling, it was what came after his point.

Simon, after saying that Bo seemed nervous for the first time in the competition (Bo had to run to the mic. in order to start the song on time), he went on to say, grinning, "it shows just how important this is to you."

I thought that was a bit of a slam on Bo, considering the fact that he's been on record saying that he really wouldn't be bothered by a loss and then went on to grow a beard, wear sunglasses and other "I'm the anti-AI" stuff.

I've always thought that Bo might be trying to have his cake and eat it too by acting like he's indifferent while working hard to win the competition.
I suspect Simon has seen the same thing and was probably a bit defensive about it.
As if to say "What do you mean you don't care??? You'd better care."
Then, last night, Simon spotted a crack in the veneer and went right to it.

Ever since I watched him on the Tonight Show sitting alongside a somewhat condescending Tom Petty on the couch, I've thought that Simon has had a bit of a chip on his shoulders about American Idol where "real performers" are concerned.
Simon seemed sincerely torqued and threw darts from his eyes that night (Petty truly could not have cared less about the whole thing.)

Bo has been veering nearer and nearer to the tone that Petty took that night (that the competition is ok, but not important) and I think Simon has long been looking for an opportunity to shut that down.

Last night, Bo gave him that chance, and Simon took it.

(We could take it a step further and suggest that Bo's miscue was by design to allow for Simon's point, but I probably won't go that far.)

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Simon's Subtle Barb frisky 05-25-05 1
   I'm with Frisky... tamarama 05-25-05 2
 RE: Simon's Subtle Barb Tahj 05-25-05 3
 Bear in mind Loquatrix 05-25-05 4
   RE: Bear in mind Harrison 05-25-05 5
       overstating it a bit... tamarama 05-25-05 6
           Point taken Harrison 05-25-05 7
               Simon's pick Flairmarq 05-25-05 8
                   RE: Simon's pick Agman2 01-13-16 12
       RE: Bear in mind okaychatt 05-25-05 9
           RE: Bear in mind Krazykat 05-27-05 10
               RE: Bear in mind Agman2 05-06-15 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

frisky 11685 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-25-05, 09:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Simon's Subtle Barb"
Funny how people interpret things so differently.

This moment was not lost on me, but then I memorize all Bo moments and relive them in my mind in the privacy of my room.

I thought Simon was trying to tell the voting public that Bo really *does* care about the competition, because Bo said a few weeks ago he really didn't care about it. I think Bo's statements were more pre-cushioning himself for the fall -- a manly-man way of saving face if he got the boot. Now, in the final vote, these words could come back to haunt him, and I thought Simon was just trying to head that off at the pass by letting everyone know that Bo *does* care.

The world is my litterbox.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-25-05, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "I'm with Frisky..."
Simon has been very clear that he likes Bo very much.

I ABSOLUTELY think he used that opportunity to redeem Bo (for those who think he needed redemption) with regards to "caring" about the competition.

For me, Bo didn't need that redemption, because I don't see any of his comments or wardrobe choices as Anti-Idol 'statements'. I think he's just Bo (and that's just fine).

Plus, I don't see Simon giving a good crap about what Tom Petty might think about him.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-25-05, 10:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Simon's Subtle Barb"
I suppose it could have been, but Bo has always said he wanted to bring a different vibe to AI with his rocker image. He also may have come in with one attitude about AI and then got caught up in it despite himself.

Also, don't forget that Simon did say that it was a pleasure for all of them to have Bo in the competition.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-25-05, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Bear in mind"
that every comment Simon makes is for the audience, not for the competitor.

This comment was to tell the audience that Bo really DOES care about winning this contest, and they shouldn't believe that his nonchalance and "cool" means he doesn't.

05-25-05, 11:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Harrison Click to send private message to Harrison Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Bear in mind"
Yes, I think that's right, Loquatrix.
Simon was letting the audience know that Bo wasn't too cool for the competition.

I think his motives were more self-satisfying than others here suggest though.
AI has taken a few hits but I can't think of any greater than the fact that Clay (and others) have sought to distance themselves from the "stain" of AI.

But those who have done that in the past have waited until they were off the show.
Then, this season, Mario (a predicted favorite), jumped ship before the Final 12. While he gave a plausible reason (wanting to spend time with his family), most believe he simply wanted to bolt before AI "owned" him.

Now we have Bo actually standing on the AI stage and saying that the competition doesn't really matter all that much to him one way or the other.

AI can't have that kind of thing going on while they're footing the bill for a contestant's exposure. Especially when one of the show's hooks is the fact that young and desperate singers are doing whatever it takes to win the brass ring.
Clay (through his sales and attitude) and others have sort of lessened the importance of that brass ring.

When even the contestants themselves don't seem to care about winning, why should anyone watch? At least that's the concern.

Simon's observation about Bo's nerves was not made to "help" Bo. It was made as a kind of damage control for the slipping integrity of the show.
He was smart to do it.

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-25-05, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "overstating it a bit..."
<<Now we have Bo actually standing on the AI stage and saying that the competition doesn't really matter all that much to him one way or the other.>>

First off, that's not quite what he said. I don't remember the direct quote, but it was closer to "my life will not be over, I will continue to make music" than "I don't care, this doesn't matter."

Secondly, don't forget that Carrie said pretty much the same thing the week she was asked about it.

Really, their answers were perfect as far as I'm concerned. If someone stood up there & said "my very existence depends on my winning this competition..." I would only vote for them to get some mental health care.

And frankly, Simon is not that hard to read. He doesn't fake his opionions to manipulate the audience.
Yes, he absolutely does try to manipulate the audience -- but when he does, there's always an extra twinkle in his eye, and extra firmness in his voice - he stresses specific words very carefully -- it's easy to tell when he's "sending a message". He really loves speaking his mind, and he gets people talking regardless of what he says - why on earth would he make something up?

I think Simon would be happy with either of them winning. I think Simon figures he could sell both of them really well. I think he only said Carrie "may have done enough to win" because that's what he really thinks, and god forbid he NOT say what he thinks.

As for the 'stain' of AI -- while I don't necessarily think it's a myth, I also don't think it's a plague on the entertainment industry that Fox must defend themselves against.

05-25-05, 02:09 PM (EST)
7. "Point taken"
Points taken, especially concerning your perception of Bo's attitude.
I agree that Simon is rarely hard to read, that's what made what happened last night so easy for me to interpret. But again, you have a different take.

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of either of the remaining contestants, though I do think they probably represent the best of the field for this time around.
As such, I'm just sort of observing what's going on without any attachment one way or the other.

I suspect that Carrie would probably be easier to "sell", but that Bo will likely sell some himself (though neither will likely sell anything to me), so Simon is probably al right with what is unfolding...except for the exhibited nonchalance of some of the contestants.

As I've said, a major selling point of the show is that the contestants are willing to do anything for a shot at the title...which includes taking unfiltered (sometimes jaw-dropping) critiques by Simon.
His authority (or schtick, if you prefer) is undermined by any hint of apathy on stage.
Where's the fun (and what's his function) if no one cares?

Flairmarq 303 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-25-05, 03:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flairmarq Click to send private message to Flairmarq Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Simon's pick"
Last night after the finale, Simon did an interview for the Fox news stations and admitted he wanted Carrie to win, but thinks Bo will win most likely.

"The Simon of the Wabash Valley"

Agman2 1506 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-13-16, 04:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Simon's pick"
Well.......looks like Simon had his head up his butt or he was playing everyone.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-25-05, 07:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Bear in mind"
<Mario (a predicted favorite), jumped ship before the Final 12. While he gave a plausible reason (wanting to spend time with his family), most believe he simply wanted to bolt before AI "owned" him

Mario who? Interesting that the little guy has completely faded from my attention. Big news for a week, then nada.

Of course, he might pull a Corey Clark and save up any pieces of gossip to sew into a crazy quilt of innuendo, to be used when/if his first album comes out.

I'm getting a little tired of people, and I'm including Clay, whom I enjoy, using AI as a springboard to fame and fortune, then dumping same when they hit it big.

I know - the AI folks are taking more than the normal share of the profits, but without AI, these guys may not have made it at all.

Pay your dues. Then make the break. You're still rich.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Krazykat 17 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-27-05, 09:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krazykat Click to send private message to Krazykat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Bear in mind"
Dear Okaychatt,
I'm curious....you mention that Clay has "dumped" AI after using them as a spring board. Have I missed something? I Love his music and I've seen him perform (I think it was a joke he didn't win).....but I've never heard him say anything bad about AI. I'm not obsessed with him either though so I don't read every interview/article etc. He fulfilled his year contract...put out his album...did the tour. AI/BMG made a hell of a lot more money off him than they ever did on Ruben or Fantasia and Clay wasnt even officially a winner. But what is he suppose to do for them? He was in the audience this year....Ryan of course made fun of him not wearing socks or something. I was hoping they would have asked him to sing. Have you ever heard him bad talk AI? I'm not being defensive. I'm genuinly curious.

And for the record...I thought Carrie deserved to win..but I thought Bo would get more votes from the rockers.

I think for AI 2006 the biggest improvement they can make is they have to strap Paula down in her seat and put duct tape on her mouth. She claps like a seal, she gives ovations to the male contestants only, says nothing of value, and is always trying to get a piece of Simon! I always liked Paula but this year she got on my nerves. OK. I've ranted enough now.

Agman2 1506 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

05-06-15, 02:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Bear in mind"
I disagree with everything you said

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •