The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"what's with the shades?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-19-05, 08:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"what's with the shades?"
Why does Bo feel he needs to wear the sunglasses all the time lately? Hung over? Stoned? Needs to hide? What's up?

another syren masterpiece
I *heart* Bo, just wish he would ditch the shades

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: what's with the shades? DontGetMeStarted 05-19-05 1
 RE: what's with the shades? frankz 05-19-05 2
   RE: what's with the shades? nailbone 05-19-05 4
 RE: what's with the shades? melodyohmy 05-19-05 3
 RE: what's with the shades? Loquatrix 05-19-05 5
   RE: what's with the shades? Glow 05-19-05 6
   RE: what's with the shades? dragonflies 05-20-05 7
       Enough with the shades! niteowl 05-22-05 8
 RE: what's with the shades? okaychatt 05-22-05 9
   RE: what's with the shades? niteowl 05-22-05 10
 RE: what's with the shades? Harrison 05-23-05 11
   RE: what's with the shades? melodyohmy 05-23-05 12
       RE: what's with the shades? okaychatt 05-23-05 16
           RE: what's with the shades? melodyohmy 05-23-05 17
   RE: what's with the shades? frankz 05-23-05 13
       RE: what's with the shades? Harrison 05-23-05 14
           RE: what's with the shades? frankz 05-23-05 15
 RE: what's with the shades? frankz 05-25-05 18
   RE: what's with the shades? melodyohmy 05-25-05 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

DontGetMeStarted 880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-19-05, 08:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DontGetMeStarted Click to send private message to DontGetMeStarted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Bright Lights?
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

frankz 1210 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-19-05, 09:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Image. He is cool, after all.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-05, 11:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Exactly. It's a rock star thang.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

melodyohmy 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-19-05, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail melodyohmy Click to send private message to melodyohmy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Maybe he did not want people to see him teary eyed if he got voted off...or maybe if Carrie got voted off?

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-19-05, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: what's with the shades?"
In my opinion it's because he has difficulty with the "eye contact with the camera" thing that the producers require from the competitors in this contest.

Constantly mugging for the camera is not something real musicians do. Real musicians understand that the first thing you must do is connect with the live audience in the room with you, since their reaction to you will dictate whether your performance will be an easy and confident one, or difficult and stilted one.

If you connect with the live audience in front of you, they'll respond favourably to you, and you will feed off their enthusiasm, which will infuse your performance with the real joy and adrenaline rush of making great music. Once you have that, you can mug a bit for the people at home, because they'll also be picking up on the joy and adrenaline and will appreciate your drawing them into the action.

If, on the other hand, you spend the whole time Constantining the camera, you give your live audience nothing to interact with, so there's none of the joy and adrenaline of a REAL live performance. And the viewers at home notice this, and all the eye contact feels overdone, egotistical and even creepy after a while.

This was the difference between Constantine and Bo. Bo is actually a real musician, whereas Constantine is a wannabe rockstar. In case that seems like a fine line (it really isn't, but just in case), imagine Bo and Constantine are about to do some press. Bo would want to be interviewed by Rolling Stone. Constantine would want to be interviewed by Teen People. Savvy?

Finally, from a purely practical perspective, in a band situation (which is Bo's natural habitat) the camera is never on the singer the whole time, unlike the camerawork in pop situations where it's on Britney or Hillary or Jessica 100% of the time. Being the sole point of interest on a stage is not Bo's thing. He wants and needs to be part of a band. (This is why, if the show were called "Pop Idol" in America, like it is in the United Kingdom whence it was born, I'd fear for Bo's chances of winning it. He's not a pop idol. He's a very accomplished rock musician. But if there's any justice in this world, he'll win American Idol.)

But back to the point. For these various reasons, Bo wears shades so he doesn't have to feel too distracted and phoney as a result of having a camera shoved up his nose the whole time.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-05, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Yes. What Lo said. Very well said.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-05, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Great response Lo!

another syren masterpiece
are you a musician by chance?

niteowl 199 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-22-05, 05:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail niteowl Click to send private message to niteowl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Enough with the shades!"
IMHO, if the people at home are the ones voting, you have to play a little bit to the camera. I liked Constantine, and I've heard he does fine at live performances, too. Bo's shades are really bugging me (and they're not even the right style) I'm distracted, cause I keep thinking, "take off the shades you poser" through his whole song.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-22-05, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Maybe it's as simple as the lights hurt his eyes. Or that he wants to see the audience better.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

niteowl 199 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-05, 06:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail niteowl Click to send private message to niteowl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Maybe one of the show "stylists" suggested it and it's becoming his trademark...doesn't seem to fit his image IMO.

Harrison 173 desperate attention whore postings

05-23-05, 09:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Harrison Click to send private message to Harrison Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: what's with the shades?"
It's the same reason he decided to grow a beard.
Being on American Idol is cheesy. Winning American Idol makes you the King of Cheese.
Bo seems to be of the opinion that he can salvage some of his "my way" cred by going against the grain. No short, spiked hair with highlights (Anthony), no clean-shaven poster-boy face (everyone, really), no painful mugging for the camera (Constantine), etc.

Of course, it's all for naught. You can't win American Idol and hope to become an "authentic rocker". And it's not because of Bo (he's good). It's because the process has been seen by everyone. We've watched him willingly jump through all of the hoops. We've heard him talk about the fact that he slept on a gymnasium floor with his mother all night just to audition. We've seen him hug Scott, for crying out loud.

Eddie Vedder (a one-time child actor) jumped through just as many hoops, of course. He networked his way into Seattle and was ferocious in his desire for the spotlight. But we didn't watch him do all that.
The result being that some people actually believe him when he claims to disdain fame (a classic Rock ethic).
Bo can't make that claim.

So he wears shades and a beard and hopes people will one day forget where he was when he was wearing them...

05-23-05, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail melodyohmy Click to send private message to melodyohmy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Outstanding points Harrison. I think Bo is a great singer with a voice that was made for southern rock. I dread him winning the idol contest because Bo and his voice should not be changed into "Idol Pop" and I feel that is what will happen. Bo will be given a recording contract win or loose "Idol". I do not want fluff or soft romantic love songs or even country pop. I want Bo to stick to his Southern Rock roots and let that voice rip. I know I will buy that CD.
I wonder if they will "Pop" up Carrie's voice if she wins.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-23-05, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: what's with the shades?"
<I want Bo to stick to his Southern Rock roots and let that voice rip.

I think Clive Davis is pretty sharp. He seems to understand Bo's strengths. My guess is he'll fit the songs to Bo, rather than fit Bo to the songs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

05-23-05, 06:22 PM (EST)
17. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Clive Davis is the "YODA" of music producers (had to throw a smile in here).

05-23-05, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Eddie Vedder was a child star? Must not have been very successful. A google search found nothing about that. What did he do?

Harrison 173 desperate attention whore postings

05-23-05, 03:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Harrison Click to send private message to Harrison Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Yeah, I don't think he got too far as a child actor...but he certainly never lost his taste for fame.
I think the pinnacle of his acting career (outside of "Singles") was in a TV commercial selling chewy "Chuckles" candy bits.
VH1 showed a clip of it a few years back.

I can't get that image out of my head whenever I hear an old Pearl Jam song on the radio.
Instead of selling candy, he decided to sell himself as some sort of "anti-star" (an act he began to imitate while in Seattle) ...and he succeeded.

A regular PT Barnum.

05-23-05, 04:01 PM (EST)
15. "RE: what's with the shades?"
Oh I don’t disagree with your assessment at all. Just had never heard about the child acting bit.
I do, however, like a lot of Pearl Jam's songs, in spite of Eddie.

05-25-05, 07:42 AM (EST)
18. "RE: what's with the shades?"
At least he got some new ones this week.
But still only appears to own 2 shirts.

05-25-05, 07:47 AM (EST)
19. "RE: what's with the shades?"
....ouch....

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •