The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-20-05, 09:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I don't know if I'm completely tone-deaf, but Carrie Underwood has been getting praised for mediocore performances for long enough. The opening part of her performance last night hit several flat notes. Don't mention the fact that her song choice was horrendous...again! I remember my mother and father listening to the oldies station all the time and when that song came on we'd all cringe. It was so sappy and ridiculous. All the park/cake/love talk was head shakingly stupid.

But anywho, back to Carrie. Once again an average performance gets praised by the judges. I'm baffled about this contestant. Someone explain the appeal to me.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated MarleyCat 04-20-05 1
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated tamarama 04-20-05 2
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated EmpressEmmie 04-29-05 17
       RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated charmed_1102 05-11-05 34
           WARNING Bebo 05-11-05 35
               RE: WARNING Agman2 02-05-16 60
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated geekboy 04-20-05 3
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated DontGetMeStarted 04-20-05 4
       Carrie, Carmen....hmmm tamarama 04-20-05 7
           RE: Carrie, Carmen....hmmm DontGetMeStarted 04-30-05 20
       RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated charmed_1102 05-11-05 38
           RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated jan 05-23-05 52
               RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated charmed_1102 05-25-05 56
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated missygirl3 04-20-05 5
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated Flairmarq 04-20-05 6
       RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated browneyedgirl918 04-20-05 8
           RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated Reeflex7 04-20-05 13
       RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated carriefan1 04-20-05 11
           RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated udg 04-21-05 15
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated DontGetMeStarted 04-30-05 21
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated kahanasunset 04-20-05 9
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated geekboy 04-20-05 10
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated shanana banana 04-20-05 12
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated TARugh 04-21-05 14
       RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated okaychatt 04-24-05 16
           RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated thehillbilly 04-30-05 18
               RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated kahanasunset 04-30-05 19
                   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated okaychatt 04-30-05 22
               Stand & sing CAN work - and SHOULD ... tamarama 05-02-05 24
               RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated DonnaLynn 05-04-05 27
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated lrlr1 05-01-05 23
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated rez_lin 05-03-05 25
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated Former CBSer 05-04-05 28
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated DonnaLynn 05-04-05 29
       RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated Dot 05-04-05 30
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated Harrison 05-03-05 26
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated okaychatt 05-11-05 39
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated johnnyaa 05-05-05 31
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated charmed_1102 05-11-05 37
 RE: Carrie a total YAWN Corn fest gimme a cake 05-05-05 32
   RE: Carrie a total YAWN Corn fest Former CBSer 05-12-05 43
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated charmed_1102 05-11-05 33
   NO BASHING Bebo 05-11-05 36
       RE: NO BASHING Agman2 02-05-16 61
   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated scottyg124 05-11-05 40
       RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated DonnaLynn 05-12-05 41
           RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated charmed_1102 05-16-05 46
               RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated DonnaLynn 05-17-05 47
                   RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated charmed_1102 05-18-05 48
       RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated kahanasunset 05-12-05 42
       RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated okaychatt 05-12-05 44
           RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated cjhope117 05-12-05 45
               RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated charmed_1102 05-19-05 49
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated coleslaw 05-22-05 50
   WARNING Bebo 05-23-05 51
       RE: WARNING Agman2 02-05-16 63
 Carrie Deserves to Win Queene1979 05-24-05 53
   RE: Carrie Deserves to Win halfpintlemon 05-25-05 54
       RE: Carrie Deserves to Win Bebo 05-25-05 55
           RE: Carrie Deserves to Win Agman2 02-05-16 62
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated HappyDays 06-15-05 58
 RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated anthonyishot93 06-29-05 59

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

MarleyCat 59 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-20-05, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MarleyCat Click to send private message to MarleyCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Carrie was my favorite coming out of the city auditions. There is something about her voice that I like (And I hate country music)
Although I still like her voice, her wooden, awkward performances have ruined it for me. She looks so uncomfortable on stage that she made Anwar's weird dancing jig last night look interesting.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-20-05, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
COMPLETELY overrated...

The thing that bugged me the most was when she a) didn't KNOW and b) didn't CARE what the song meant.

Now granted, this is a supremely stupid lyric, but it doesn't take Meryl Streep to endow it with SOME kind of meaning.

It further proves that she's all about making a pretty noise, not about actually SINGING.

And I'm sorry, she didn't know any showtunes, she doesn't know any disco -- where the hell is she from? Siberia? Actually, that's not fair -- I bet plenty of people her age in Siberia know disco music.

I don't care if you're from a small town...don't you have a TV? Don't you have a radio? Doesn't your Aunt Susie have a bunch of records from her youth that she loves to play for you? How can you be so ignorant about a field that you want to work in?

EmpressEmmie 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-29-05, 00:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EmpressEmmie Click to send private message to EmpressEmmie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Thank you!! Something about Carrie has been bothering me... and I just couldn't put my finger on it. Maybe it was the Barbie/ Stepford Wife thing... or the Beauty Pagent smiles... and then you nailed it. Her voice is fair, but her stage pressence is lacking... but she'll probably win or atleast make it into the final 2...

charmed_1102 23 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail charmed_1102 Click to send private message to charmed_1102 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"

Please...stop trying to be Simon...and please don't be jealous of her...just because you can't sing doesn't mean she can't...I bet you can't even carry a tune...

Bebo 20897 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-11-05, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "WARNING"
Charmed, please read our community guidelines, there's a link at the top of the page.

Bashing other posters is not permitted here.

Agman2 1799 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-16, 04:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
60. "RE: WARNING"
But Bebo, in this case I agree with charmed! I think you were a little too quick on the draw this time. YMMV

geekboy 1786 desperate attention whore postings

04-20-05, 12:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
You are not tone deaf. At times, the judges ARE tone deaf.

I have never really been impressed with Carrie, especially as the competition rolls on. She uses the same facial expressions, she has zero stage-prescence. I just don't get why Simon said so early on she would win.

I think her performance last night was below average. I didn't think her vocals were good at all. I literally was cringing. She's been bad now three weeks in a row (i think...).

I would not be surprised at all if she was booted tonight.

Everyone, including Scott and anthony, were head and shoulders above her performance last night.

geekboy

DontGetMeStarted 880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-20-05, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DontGetMeStarted Click to send private message to DontGetMeStarted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Carrie, Carmen >Simon likes the C words...

04-20-05, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Carrie, Carmen....hmmm"
And they're both young blond country girls with no stage presence!

04-30-05, 05:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DontGetMeStarted Click to send private message to DontGetMeStarted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Carrie, Carmen....hmmm"
and the doe eyes = deer in the headlight eyes....

05-11-05, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail charmed_1102 Click to send private message to charmed_1102 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Of course Simon likes Carrie..she's a great singer...

jan 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-23-05, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jan Click to send private message to jan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I personally love Carrie and she deserves to be there with Bo. She is a fresh face, with good wholesome values. This young girl has had no professional training, doesn't have experience with a band and studios, has no criminal record and is just plain nice. She sings with a pure and beautiful tone and has earned the right to be where she is. I think if she does win this thing, she would be an excellent role model for our youth out there. I give her kudos to have overcome all the odds and to have done it without compromising herself or her values. If she loses, it will be because the country prefers a hard core rocker with a questionable criminal record to represent them. Please don't jump all over me, that's just my opinion, folks.

05-25-05, 12:43 PM (EST)
56. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
No worriees...I'm with you I love Carrie Underwood...I am just glad that both Carrie and Bo have great voice...even though all my votes were for Carrie if bo wins I'll be ok with it...For once America's choices were right...actually Kelly was a good choice...but for the first time in 3 years...the 2 choices we have are two of the best...

missygirl3 541 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-20-05, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail missygirl3 Click to send private message to missygirl3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Carrie... I want to know why anyone would vote for Scott?? He is so overrated that it is sickening....

Flairmarq 303 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-20-05, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flairmarq Click to send private message to Flairmarq Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I think it was a case of Carrie picking the wrong song. She realy needed to pick an upbeat song this week. Plus her lows were a bit weak. I still think she's a fav to win and I think she has a lot of talent. Not overrated, just a bad week.

"The Simon of the Wabash Valley"

browneyedgirl918 45 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-20-05, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail browneyedgirl918 Click to send private message to browneyedgirl918 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I don't usually have a problem with Carrie's vocals...it's her stage presence, or lack thereof. What I do have a problem with is the fact that the judges don't think she can do anything wrong. I mean, she could come out and sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider while taking a dump on the stage and they would praise her originality. I full well expect her to win or at the very least be in the top 2. She is a talented girl, but give me a break! She's not perfect. I wish the judges would stop making her into their golden child.

Reeflex7 187 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-20-05, 08:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Reeflex7 Click to send private message to Reeflex7 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
"I mean, she could come out and sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider while taking a dump on the stage and they would praise her originality."

Well, it would be. I mean, not even Ozzy's done that.

And it would definitely make her more interesting.

carriefan1 2 desperate attention whore postings

04-20-05, 04:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail carriefan1 Click to send private message to carriefan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
carrie u r awesome u should win u have the best vioce in the competion!!!!i have been voting 4 u!!!!!!!u r very pretty tOo!!

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-21-05, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
LOL! Good one!

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

04-30-05, 05:35 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Scott is rated???

lol!

kahanasunset 466 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-20-05, 02:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kahanasunset Click to send private message to kahanasunset Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
LAST EDITED ON 04-20-05 AT 04:05 PM (EST)

A few weeks ago I wouldn't have agreed with Bacon, but after a couple of wooden performances, I'm beginning to agree, and conclude that all she's got is a good voice, a pretty face and a star look. That doesn't mean she should win, even though she might because she's got the look and the voice. Carrie's from a "media and culturally deprived" area so that's part of the reason for her lack of savvy about songs and perhaps dancing.

Carrie should have chosen an upbeat song like Vonzell did (and she should have known that Vonzell would, with Vonzell's sparkling on-camera personality and demeanor). She obviously thought that choosing a song that is difficult to sing would help her, and it probably did. If she had segued into a rock-out version (which is what I believe Donna Summer's version did, correct me if I'm wrong), she would have impressed more.

If Carrie doesn't loosen up she may not win. She's not my favorite but I bet she makes it to the final two, probably against Bo. If that happens, Carrie had better step up, totally rock out and shake that booty or Bo will win.

Edited to add:
Forget to mention earlier, I now want Bo to win. AI needs a change, and more importantly, Bo deserves it.

geekboy 1786 desperate attention whore postings

04-20-05, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Everyone always brings up the voice that Carrie has.

Yes, she's got a good voice but its blatantly obvious how limited it is.

Compare her with Bo. Bo can sing rock, can sing Jim Croce, can sing Drift Away, and i even think his take on Pippin was damn good.

Bo's voice is great, and diverse. I think it comes with experience.

Carrie needs more experience. Her voice now is quite limited.

Bo should win AI4. Not Carrie.

geekboy

shanana banana 658 desperate attention whore postings

04-20-05, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shanana%20banana Click to send private message to shanana%20banana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I liked Carrie's song choice last night. I thought she sang fantastic -- she definitely has an amazing voice.

HOWEVER...........amazing voice does not an Idol make. She is a total bore on stage, she can't move, can't dance, has no personality, and like LaToya from last year, she will be eliminated due to the bore factor. Plus, she's too unsophisticated and green --- her answer about what the song was all about showed that in droves.

You need more than just a great voice to win Idol, and that's why either Constantine or Bo is going to take it all.

TARugh 159 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-05, 00:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TARugh Click to send private message to TARugh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I used to root and vote for Carrie. However, her last few weeks have shows lackluster stage presence and quite honestly, it truly is embarrasing to think we would let somebody become the American Idol that doesn't do her homework on the field she is entering.

I refuse to believe her excuse of living in small town America. Large cities are always nearby, satellite TV plugs ya in...and uh...isn't she a senior in college?

If Carrie planned her week out right in between shows, she would take some dance lessons, and go to some music appreciation courses. As it stands, she's too narrow-minded.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-05, 01:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
<American Idol that doesn't do her homework on the field she is entering.

Exactly. Leaving a cake out in the rain and then writing a song about it questionable.

But to be competing on AI and not even considering what the heck the song is about? Absolutely unacceptable.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

thehillbilly 2 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-05, 02:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail thehillbilly Click to send private message to thehillbilly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Well, this is my first post here and a big howdy to everyone. I am not replying to any one person in particular, but there are several things I think everyone is overlooking regarding Carrie.

1st. She is on the wrong show.

Everyone watching AI is expecting the contestants to be Pop/Rock stars, which involves running around a stage and being a little wild with your performance. Traditional Country Music is not about that, and that seems to be more of what Carrie Underwood is all about.

Would you like watching someone that just stood in front of the mic and never moved and all they did was sing their songs? Most of you would not. You are also probably thinking, "No one does that". WRONG! George Strait, Randy Travis, Alan Jackson, Martina McBride and the list goes on. These are people that mostly just stand in one spot and sing and these are not amatuers either.

AI fans are expecting Carrie to be something she is not and that is a Rock/Pop Star. That is why I say that she is on the wrong show. She would have been better suited for Nashville Star.

2nd. So, she has trouble doing other styles??

Let's give Bo Bice a Randy Travis song and see how well he does (Nothing against Bo, just an example). You guys are expecting a little too much from these contestants. Just because you can sing, does not mean you can cross over to any genre that is out there.

I wish for just once that AI would have a Country Music week, where all the contestants had to sing Country. Then we could put everyone's theory to good practice and see how well everyone done. If everyone were "Idol" material, they should be able to sing Country too, correct?

Let's see, we could give Anthony a George Jones song, Bo an Alan Jackson song, Scott a Tracy Byrd song, Vonzell a LeAnn Rimes song and Carrie could be herself. Sound a little rediculous, doesn't it? Well, it is, just about as rediculous as everyone expecting Carrie to cross over with no problems at all. IMHO

Hillbilly

04-30-05, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kahanasunset Click to send private message to kahanasunset Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
great post, Hillbilly, welcome to the boards!

I can't believe AI hasn't had a country music week. There's got to be a dark, ugly reason for that one!

04-30-05, 10:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
<dark, ugly reason for that one

Simon "doesn't get" country. That's probably enough.

05-02-05, 01:16 PM (EST)
24. "Stand & sing CAN work - and SHOULD work, but..."
Welcome Hillbilly!

I understand the point you're making -- but disagree on part of it.

It is entirely possible - and necessary - to simply stand and sing, and have it be meaningful, emotional, engaging. Good singers of all genres do this - not just the country singers you mentioned.

Carrie's just not doing that. It has nothing to do with whether or not she's dancing or running around on stage.

You may be surprised who Carrie reminds me of:

John Stevens stood, or sat, and sang. But he wasn't connecting with the lyric, it was all about the sound he made. He wanted to sound like a crooner, so he crooned - and nothing else. In his typically over-generalized fashion, Simon dubbed all "crooning" as boring, but it was really John's lack of emotional investment in the songs he sang. I think it's just his age & inexperience. He's spent his life so far listening to some of the masters of interpretation, and if he keeps listening, he'll figure it out.

Bo, Fantasia, Clay, Ruben, Constantine, Anwar...the list goes on. These people (even though I don't really care for some of them) each sang at least one of their songs with very little movement. However, this group (and others, I don't mean to be exclusive) FELT their songs, and it was obvious in their performances.

Songs are like monologues, you have to act them, you have to feel them, and you have to be able to show the audience that you feel them. (I don't mean Randy's brand of "feel you")(OTOH, I bet that IS what Randy meands when he says that).

Country doesn't have a monopoly on standing still.

Standing still doesn't make you boring.

As for the versatility issue, I agree with you. I find it interesting to see people work outside their comfort zones, but it doesn't upset me if someone's not a champion in multiple genres. (However, I bet Bo would do great with some country! He is kinda "Southern Rock", which is genetically close to country!)

DonnaLynn 582 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-05, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DonnaLynn Click to send private message to DonnaLynn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"

>
>I wish for just once that
>AI would have a Country
>Music week, where all the
>contestants had to sing Country.
> Then we could put
>everyone's theory to good practice
>and see how well everyone
>done. If everyone were
>"Idol" material, they should be
>able to sing Country too,
>correct?

I agree completely!!! Country music is about the MUSIC, not about the show. I saw George Strait a couple of years ago in concert and he literally stayed in one spot for the entire show like his feet were glued to the stage. But he didn't need to do all the Britney Spears moves. His music spoke volumes above what Britney could do in a show. I think Carrie is awesome, very talented and will either win or come in 2nd to Bo.

--Donna :~)

lrlr1 512 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-05, 01:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lrlr1 Click to send private message to lrlr1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I agree that Carrie has gotten way too much praise from the judges. A couple weeks ago, Carrie SCREAMED her song and the judges said 'great! wonderful! fantastic! you're the one to beat! ad nauseum. Yet she was screeching! IMO Carrie does truly have the best voice (at least I like it when she's not screeching), but Carrie is NOT an American Idol. America is not country and Carrie ONLY sings country! I don't care how pure (occasionally), how beautiful (except when screeching) her voice is, she cannot INTERPRET any of the songs she sings. She even admitted she had no idea what McArthur Park was about!

I once heard Richard Harris sing McArthur Park on a TV show. It was astonishing the nuances he brought to the lyrics. Even the audience was stunned that he could make 'something out of nothing', simply with his voice. Of course, he's an ACTOR, and understands 'nuance'. But the best singers also understand it, can interpret, can actually feel the meaning behind the words of a song - or in the case of Richard Harris, make up, create meaning!

Carrie, sadly, cannot. She can understand, thus can only make us believe the meanings behind the words of, country songs. And it is rough watching her wooden standing-in-the-middle-of-the-stage-&-singing style.

P.S. AI had a country song week a couple seasons ago when the soldier from Desert Storm kept stinking up the stage with his country style.

rez_lin 4 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-05, 05:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail rez_lin Click to send private message to rez_lin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I think America loves the naive looks/attitudes of Carrie
I can still recall during the audition
when ryan asked her whether she see any stars
surprisingly she was looking at the star!!

Former CBSer 81 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-05, 02:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Former%20CBSer Click to send private message to Former%20CBSer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Carrie is great. I can understand the words and the meanings. By the way, that soldier from Desert Storm has a CD out and is on the country charts. Country and Rock & Roll are truly American Art Forms. You can keep this Rap Crap and Hip Hop. Who the hell would like to make out to that. I also like Bo but the girl friend beater with the hip hop hand movements has to go and hopefully it will be tonight.

05-04-05, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DonnaLynn Click to send private message to DonnaLynn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"

>America is not
>country and Carrie ONLY sings
>country!

Hmmmmm, you may HATE country music, but it's huge in AMERICA! Oh and R&B Isn't America either. It actually only sells a small percentage of total sales of all kinds of music, but Rueben and Fantasia won. Look a litte further into "American Idol" and what it stands for. It's about who AMERICA likes best. Oh and FYI, I believe the guy you were bad-mouthing from last season of American Idol has a Top Ten song in country music right now and is huge... He's getting more airplay than Rueben and Fantasia put together...

Dot 13 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-05, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dot Click to send private message to Dot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Thanks for the last two responses. I really like Carrie. I enjoy watching her and think she is the best singer in the competition. These are some of the first positive comments I've read on these boards. Glad to finally hear others feel the same.

Harrison 173 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-05, 09:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Harrison Click to send private message to Harrison Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Hm, I thought the judges were luke-warm with Carrie last week.
I think someone here mentioned some time ago that Paula has always been that way with her.

I don't think they are promoting her more than anyone else.

With Simon, it's hard to tell because he wisely avoids the highs and lows with his presentation.

Paula and Randy, however, often stand to applaud or say things like "yeah, dog wooo" (Randy) or "Can I call you after the show?" (Paula).

But last week, neither seemed to celebrate Carrie's performance.
In fact, I think they reserved the bulk of their criticism for her.

05-11-05, 06:13 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
<or "Can I call you after the show?" (Paula).

I was blipping through the thread and caught your comment. HA!

johnnyaa 19 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-05, 10:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail johnnyaa Click to send private message to johnnyaa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
DIAGNOSIS: Severe tone-deafness.
TREATMENT: Turn off the volume when AI is on and congratulate Carrie when she becomes the next American Idol

Carrie has beauty, a home-spun personality, versatility and a great voice. Enough said!

As far as "MacArthur Park" is concerned I've always hated the song but Carrie's was the best version I've ever heard (and I've heard a bunch).

05-11-05, 04:28 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"

Thanks for that fantastic reply...As far as I'm concerned Carrie is the best vocal...then Bo.

Love your answer...

gimme a cake 8 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-05, 11:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail gimme%20a%20cake Click to send private message to gimme%20a%20cake Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Carrie a total YAWN Corn fest"
carries totally boring
she should be in some country music contest or whatever
shes bland and amuturish
when she tries to be rocker its clumsy and laughable and uncomfortable
shes corny
shes a big YAWN fest
VOnzell would fit right inot a group like DESTINYS CHILD
shes also the best dressed
Okay we know what Scott was a joke thanks to vote for the worst
I once got in over 300 votes
Really give it to BO Bice
the only really interesting natural talent
he ll have to suffer doing that corny american idol tour then he can break free on his own
anthony F is terrible
another vote for the worst joke
hes next to go
it wil lcome down to Bo and VOnzell
bo will win hopefully
hope he gets to chose a good and kool song like A guns n roses song
he s very retro rocker type and thats kinda kool
sorta Lynard skynard..allmans ect
hes also a varied musican plays alot of instuments
give it to him
no more fat lazy boring or gospel singing big mouths
Kelly was kool shes okay
I dont understand CLAY getting a tv special or getting on Saturday nite live
the world loves fruits !
lets have a real rocker!
I ll smoke a joint and have a corona to that!

Former CBSer 81 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-05, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Former%20CBSer Click to send private message to Former%20CBSer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Carrie a total YAWN Corn fest"
You might learn how to hit the shift key on your computer so your responses make sense.

05-11-05, 04:07 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
...well...>>>overrated, stupid, horrendous, ignorant and well deaf yeah you got that right..i'm just answering your question...

Just because you didn't like the song doesn't mean that Carrie didn't do a good job...Have you even listen to Scott sing...he was so bad, but hey he was there for until the bottom 5...you need to buy a cutip and clean your ears...

P.S. Just because you may not like Country songs doesn't make a person a bad singer...you are just a bad audience. Sorry.

05-11-05, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "NO BASHING"
Bashing other posters is not permitted here. Disagreeing with another poster's opinion is allowed, but you cannot personally attack the poster while doing so.

02-05-16, 04:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
61. "RE: NO BASHING"
Okay Bebo, I'll support you this time.

scottyg124 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-11-05, 07:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail scottyg124 Click to send private message to scottyg124 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I actualyl think for being a country girl, she should have sold the song alot better then she did last night, infact her country song sounded more confusing and like a yodler if anything, she's still got a voice though which is why she'll go far, she just needs to build a personality!

05-12-05, 10:13 AM (EST)
41. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Have you listened to the original?? Natalie Maines yodels all the way through that song! Carrie did a kick-a** performance of that song. That was a very difficult song to sing. When I heard she was going to do that song I started to cringe because I know how hard it is to sing. But when she started belting it out I was cheering her on. She has some big kahunas to sing a song like that, plus she pulled it off. Again, just because you don't like country music, that doesn't mean she isn't talented and doesn't deserve to be there. That girl is giving Bo a run for his money. He really bombed singing "It's a great day to be alive" He really should have gone with something a little more his style. Plenty of country songs he could have done in that style... Regardless, Carrie was awesome and NOBODY will be able to change my opinion of that!

05-16-05, 05:45 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I agree with you 100%,,,Carrie have a very wonderful voice...I'm not big on country song...but trust me the more I listen to Carrie the more and more I like country...once again Carrie is a great singer...

05-17-05, 09:46 AM (EST)
47. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Charmed... Warning... Once you start listening to Country, you'll be hooked! I HATED country music and couldn't understand why it seemed as though everyone was listening to it. About 6 yrs ago I got a job at a country radio station and "had no choice" but to learn about it and get to know the artists. Within 3 weeks I was hooked... I still can't believe I listen and go to country concerts!

05-18-05, 11:08 AM (EST)
48. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
Donna...I know what you mean,,,I love Shania Twain and Faith Hill..I know country songs...not my favorite but they're up there...Especially Alison Krause...so cool...

Carrie was so great last night...don't 'cha think...

05-12-05, 10:22 AM (EST)
42. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
...she just needs to build a personality!

Last night I was thinking about how Emmylou Harris and Judy Collins (and other singers like them) are such incredible singers and how they just stand there and sing. That's fine for them, but for American Idol, yes, Carrie does have to develop a personality and stage presence. We saw that last night when they put Carrie through to Hollywood and Randy was telling her to basically "get it goin' on". Time will tell if Carrie will develop that "certain something" that is so far missing from her performances. It's not bashing. Just truth. Maybe she can learn it from Anthony. He's got more than she does.

yet another sigpic by Seana!

05-12-05, 01:05 PM (EST)
44. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
<just needs to build a personality

And therein is her problem. I'm not sure how much one can change her basic, quiet nature.

cjhope117 584 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-05, 08:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cjhope117 Click to send private message to cjhope117 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I agree. You can't develope charisma. It's either there or it isn't. Very few people will dispute that Carrie has a good voice but that is not enough. This competition is full of people who have good voices but we don't want them all to be the next American Idol. We want to feel the song and Carrie just makes me feel bored.

05-19-05, 11:38 AM (EST)
49. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
I am so very happy that Carrie and Bo are the two finalist...

The two best singers...woo-hoo...

coleslaw 5 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-05, 04:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail coleslaw Click to send private message to coleslaw Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
yes i think you are TONE-DEAF! carrie is so great. i hate country music with a passion yet... CARRIE IS GREAT! she takes classics and makes them her own. yes she adds country to all of them, but because she does she adds herself to the song and in result i think she is a true american idol. carrie is NOT overrated. she is probably the most naturally talented person to ever be on american idol. i mean bo is great, but carrie is the #####!

05-23-05, 07:47 AM (EST)
51. "WARNING"
coleslaw, please take a moment to read our community guidelines. Bashing other posters is not permitted here.

02-05-16, 04:55 PM (EST)
63. "RE: WARNING"
Now you're talkin bebo. That was a textbook example of how to do it!

Queene1979 445 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-05, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Queene1979 Click to send private message to Queene1979 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "Carrie Deserves to Win"
I love Carrie and believe that she DESERVES to win, she has consistently been in the top group and has NEVER been in the bottom. Sure, Bo is good but he has been in the bottom three once and I dont think he is as good!!!

halfpintlemon 91 desperate attention whore postings

05-25-05, 00:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail halfpintlemon Click to send private message to halfpintlemon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Carrie Deserves to Win"
Fantasia was in the bottom three and she won, so why does that make Bo undeserving?

05-25-05, 07:19 AM (EST)
55. "RE: Carrie Deserves to Win"
Ruben too.

02-05-16, 04:53 PM (EST)
62. "RE: Carrie Deserves to Win"
Bebo, you were a little knit picky on that one! Don't get carried away please.

HappyDays 53 desperate attention whore postings

06-15-05, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HappyDays Click to send private message to HappyDays Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
58. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
>I don't know if I'm completely
>tone-deaf, but Carrie Underwood has
>been getting praised for mediocore
>performances for long enough. The
>opening part of her performance
>last night hit several flat
>notes. Don't mention the fact
>that her song choice was
>horrendous...again! I remember my mother
>and father listening to the
>oldies station all the time
>and when that song came
>on we'd all cringe. It
>was so sappy and ridiculous.
>All the park/cake/love talk was
>head shakingly stupid.
>
>But anywho, back to Carrie. Once
>again an average performance gets
>praised by the judges. I'm
>baffled about this contestant. Someone
>explain the appeal to me.
>

Agree.

anthonyishot93 4 desperate attention whore postings

06-29-05, 07:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anthonyishot93 Click to send private message to anthonyishot93 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: Carrie Underwood...so overrated"
i don't get it either i think anthony or bo or constantine should have won yes carrie was good but still...it's all weird!!!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •