The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doomed From Minute One"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Apprentice General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

tinkerer 90 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-27-06, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tinkerer Click to send private message to tinkerer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doomed From Minute One"
LAST EDITED ON 03-27-06 AT 12:17 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 03-27-06 AT 12:15 PM (EST)

I knew Synergy's idea of the "From Father To Daughter" for the cereal billboard was a loser right off.

How did I know? One word: Oldsmobile.

Remember the Oldsmobile ad campaign of the late eighties-This Is Not Your Father's Oldsmobile? It was a series of commercials which had an old guy driving around in a real snazzy car, with the younger people admiringly coming up to look at it. It got simply immense coverage, it was all over the airwaves.

In fact, it was so ubiquitous, people were making jokes on the theme, like this is not your father's (fill in blank), in normal conversation.

But guess what? It turns out the ads didn't sell any Oldsmobiles. After a whole series of commercials-not billboards-on the theme, they just couldn't get anyone to buy an Oldsmobile because it is a venerable brand that your parents bought.

People buy things because it is what THEY want, not necessarily what their parents want. When the TV show Friends became popular, the furniture chains knew they had a problem. The people in their twenties and thirties were coming in and looking for furniture like they saw on the show, and all the stores had nothing but the overstuffed chairs and sofas of the fifties and sixties. One show actually caused a changeover in the furniture industry.

I'm not even in the advertising or retail industry. These things are more or less common knowledge. The idea of passing something down from one generation to another has been tried and flopped. As soon as Allie came up with that father-to-daughter bit, I knew the team was doomed.

I think it might be possible to pull the "great tradition" bit with something like Tiffany jewelry or some product that has been recognized as the very best in it's field, whose name has become synonymous with the very idea of quality.

Olsmobile was a nice enough car, but certainly not known as the luxurous best. And the notion of trying the idea on a breakfast cereal is ludicrous.

Certainly,it did not help the team that the idea itself was so badly executed. That's another issue. And many of the contestants were only teenagers during the Oldmobile camapign. Still, many contestants are in retailing, marketing and similar professions, and you would think that at least a few of them would have known that the "from one generation to the next" theme never works.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doo... LIVEURBESTLIFE 03-27-06 1
   RE: Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doo... tinkerer 03-27-06 2
 RE: Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doo... tarmaq 03-28-06 3
 RE: Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doo... saranita 03-28-06 4
 RE: Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doo... newsomewayne 03-28-06 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

LIVEURBESTLIFE 302 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-27-06, 03:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LIVEURBESTLIFE Click to send private message to LIVEURBESTLIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doomed From Minute One"
I didnt see theme as the problem execution was. They were doomed the moment that picked the model to represent the father. The father model was not old enough. The picture didnt really suggest the idea of from one generation to the next. The message would have been lost on anybody looking at it.

Plus, the marketing advantage of grape nuts is about healthy eating. They ignored that aspect all together.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

tinkerer 90 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-27-06, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tinkerer Click to send private message to tinkerer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doomed From Minute One"
LAST EDITED ON 03-27-06 AT 05:23 PM (EST)

I do believe the theme was a problem, as when it was tried before, with much buildup, it flopped. It might be a nice theme for a novel or feature film, but it is hard to fully communicate in a 30 second commercial, let alone a billboard.

Apart from that, I agree completely with your assessment on the execution. It was ridiculous. The model was in her twenties, could possibly be thirty. The guy was 44, could possibly be 40. People look at the two next to each other, and half of them will be thinking it's her boyfriend or older brother.

Healthy eating would not only have been a more effective theme, I think most people would think of it first. Don't ask me what happened to Synergy.

tarmaq 127 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-28-06, 02:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tarmaq Click to send private message to tarmaq Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doomed From Minute One"
The Olds commercials were effective enough that when I started reading what you wrote about them, I could perfectly hear the theme song in my head. "This is NOT your father's Oldsmobile... this is a new generation of Olds."

Granted, I've got a very good musical ear and remember music from forever ago. STill - the music wasn't half bad for that campaign.

saranita 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-28-06, 10:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail saranita Click to send private message to saranita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doomed From Minute One"
Tinkerer, I admit that never crossed my mind, but by-golly, I think you're absolutely right. Kudos.

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-28-06, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Synergy's Cereal Campaign: Doomed From Minute One"
Bah! It was all Brent's fault.

Exorcised by Syren, 2005

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •