The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Tell Larry King: Trump Should Not Have Asked Randal !"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Locked thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Apprentice General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Emerald1234 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-21-05, 01:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Emerald1234 Click to send private message to Emerald1234 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Tell Larry King: Trump Should Not Have Asked Randal !"
Donald Trump will be on Larry King Live show January 6. I encourage you all to email the Larry King show(http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?12) to have Larry ask Donald why he put Randal in the awkward position of having to tell him if he would hire Rebecca.

That's Donald's job, its his show, he is the one who is supposed to be doing the hiring. No is asking Donald the tough questions. Let's not be afraid of him. Donald should have taken the responsiblity of doing the hiring, not try to pass off an uncomfortable position unto a contestant. Shame on him.

Most people have been framing the debate as Randal versus Rebecca. But I think the major problem here is Donald Trump.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Tell Larry King: Trump Should N... tannl 12-21-05 1
   RE: Tell Larry King: Trump Should N... singer 12-21-05 2
 RE: Tell Larry King: Trump Should N... EnfanTerrible 12-21-05 3
   RE: Tell Larry King: Trump Should N... singer 12-21-05 4
 Duplicate thread IceCat 12-21-05 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

tannl 93 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-21-05, 02:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tannl Click to send private message to tannl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Tell Larry King: Trump Should Not Have Asked Randal !"

>
>That's Donald's job, its his show,
>he is the one who
>is supposed to be doing
>the hiring. No is asking
>Donald the tough questions. Let's
>not be afraid of him.
>Donald should have taken the
>responsiblity of doing the hiring,
>not try to pass off
>an uncomfortable position unto a
>contestant. Shame on him.
>
>Most people have been framing the
>debate as Randal versus Rebecca.
>But I think the major
>problem here is Donald Trump.
>

Trump was wrong to place Randal in that position on a live show. If Trump wanted to hire Rebecca he could have waited until after the show was over. He could have given her a job but not as his apprentice.

singer 1910 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-21-05, 10:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail singer Click to send private message to singer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Tell Larry King: Trump Should Not Have Asked Randal !"
I agree, tannl.

I think that The Donald's ulterior motive was to downplay Randal's clear win, because by his own admission, The Donald doesn't like blacks.

Rebecca is a sidebar in the real struggle with evil (that would be racism) that is going on here.

--Singer

EnfanTerrible 1239 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-21-05, 10:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EnfanTerrible Click to send private message to EnfanTerrible Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Tell Larry King: Trump Should Not Have Asked Randal !"
If you read the CNN transcript of the LKL show a couple of nights ago, Trump stated to Larry King that asking Randal what he did was great television. While I don't agree with how Randal handled it, I think Trump has a right and a responsibility to do what he thinks will stir up the most buzz for his show.

singer 1910 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-21-05, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail singer Click to send private message to singer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Tell Larry King: Trump Should Not Have Asked Randal !"
I would understand your point if Carolyn or George had done this, rather than The Donald.

The Donald's racist statements about Jews and blacks prior to the finale make me skeptical of him and of his motives. It also made what he did NOT great television, and his action ripped yet another hole in the racial divide in this country. That is unpatriotic and completely unethical.

I also question his judgement in using an inaccurate stereotype ("lazy" Randal) to describe a clearly over-achieving Rhodes Scholar who happens to be black. The fact that Randal is not highly extroverted (like Troy from Season 1) does not mean that his more introverted personality renders him laid-back. It simply means that this hard-driving person listens and is perhaps more thoughtful in brain-storming sessions than someone with a more extroverted personality. (Markus, perhaps?)

Randal has illustrated that he has a keen verbal style, so he is not afraid to speak up when appropriate. In short, being thoughtful is not the same thing as being laid-back or even lazy. It is clear that Randal weighs positions before he speaks, and given his fearlessness in expressing an unpopular opinion during the finale and in sticking to that position afterwards, he is not a hypocrite.

The Donald, on the other hand, strikes me as being precisely that.

I believe that Robot Kelly falls into a similar category (that of being hard-driven and over-achieving and even perhaps a bit introverted). The Donald clearly wanted to hire him, so he allowed Burnett to stereotype Jen M as a shrew to validate his decision not to hire her. The stereotyping was not necessary, even if hiring Jen M could not be the obvious result of that competition based on performance and editing.

The harm of the high tech lynching of Jen M during the finale of Season 2 continues to leave a bad taste in my mouth. The images were powerful and they affected people everywhere. And if destroying people's lives is great television, then America needs to get a new pastime.

It was not necessary to attempt to impugn Jen M's character, and The Donald could have hired Robot Kelly without attacking Jen M's reputation. If he is capable of that kind of stereotyping (female corporate competitor as shrew), then he is capable of harbouring racist attitudes against Randal. Both impulses spring from the same horrible place.

What is interesting is that The Donald never used stereotypes when discussing Robot Kelly during the competition or after. Why did he do so with Randal, especially given the fact that the stereotypes were clearly inaccurate? And why did he stereotype at all?

I cannot as an interested bystander believe that a reasonable man would use stereotypes, even to get television ratings, unless he believed them. Stereotypes are too nonsensical, and using them could cost him money. Additionally, the history of this country is far too volatile when it comes to the issue of race for this approach to make any social or economic sense.

(Mark Burnett is another issue. He does not hail from this country, and his sophomoric approaches to editing and uses of stereotyping fail to reach even the lowest level of comedy that most intelligent people would profess to abhor. His disregard of the egregious effect of those approaches highlights a patent disregard for social responsibility that many open-minded Americans embrace, especially since the civil rights movement. So I will leave him for now, and I hope that other television viewers will do the same. Eventually, he may go away quietly.)

I don't think that Carolyn or George would do such a thing (stereotype, that is). I think that The Donald showed his true propensity (that of being racist) when he stereotyped in describing Randal's work style. I think he did the same thing when he made pejorative statements against blacks and Jews in the book.

It is for these reasons that I believe that Rebecca is merely a pawn in an invidious game that The Donald is playing with the people of America. She deserves better than that, and God knows that Randal does.

--Singer

IceCat 17313 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-21-05, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Duplicate thread"
There is already a discussion thread on the topic of the Larry King interview. Please feel free to copy your posts from this thread to that other existing thread.

Locking this thread as a duplicate.

Unlock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •